Earth Victoriana: Music Hall Mystery!

GM

As Young Brittania, the heroine was indeed considerably faster - and the assassin had not gone far. On entering the corridor outside the box office, the two men, now in grey cowls and holding what looked like enormous steam muskets, were ready and waiting. By there feet was an unconscious usher, a nasty gash on his forehead and a dash of blood on the regal carpets that adorned the music hall of this level.

"Who is she?" blurted out one man.

THe other man muttered something in Latin, before both men fired at the Young Heroine.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Let me introduce myself… no wait you wouldn’t know that one. I’m here at Ada request; I’m her guardian angel so to speak.â€

She gave them a pleasant little smile, hand on her hips all the while float a couple of feet from the ground.

“I’d ask you to surrender, but I don’t think you’ll go for that. And I suppose you’re not going to tell me who or why to tried to have her killed.â€

So let me just show you what I can do.

With an off handed flick of her wrist she sent a burst of light towards the assassins.

GM

"Who the hell are you" exploded the assassin, ducking under the bolt of light. The two men were skilled fighters, not your regular mooks. They were fast, with quick reflexes and an accurate aim.

Two more hisses of steam, and two more explosive cracks. The rifles fired again as the men backed around a corner of the music hall. The sound could be heard above the general hullabaloo of the crowd in the hall.

Young Britannia shrugged off the shot from there steam powered weapons, she’d need to take them out quickly before they did more harm or even make a break for it.

But first she had something more important to do first.

As she knelt down beside the usher to check on he was okay she tried to keep them talking.

“I am Young Britannia, born from the spirit of this land†well a version of this land anyhow “Protector of those who have been denied justice. I step in when the law fails.â€

Hoping that didn’t sound to hooky she added on to her last comment.

“Oh and I’m the one who’s going to kick your butt.â€

GM

“I am Young Britannia, born from the spirit of this land†well a version of this land anyhow “Protector of those who have been denied justice. I step in when the law fails.

Oh and I’m the one who’s going to kick your butt.â€

The two men looked at each other.

"What?" asked the second man, who had shot Young Brittania straight in the head.

"That was a clean shot! Right in the head! What are you?" he demanded. "" he concluded in Latin, making a cross over his chest.

"Amen!" concurred his partner, as both span on their heels and raced off, down to the main Foyer of the Music Hall.

Agnes was torn for a moment between the poor man and stopping the assassins, but he seemed to be breathing and she needed answers.

Putting on a little burst of speed she easily caught up with whilst still making their way to the foyer, she was lucky that they didn’t know exactly what to make of her most mooks in her world would have been braced from some kind of hero action.

“You know I don’t really speak Old-Dead language…†she ignore the bit of her telling her she could and concentrated her power. “… but I do know one phrase you that might interest you.â€

“Fiat Luxâ€

She released a burst of pure light.

GM

The two assassins where quick, no doubt about it, and even if unable to outrun the young heroine, they did not fall for the burst of light, ducking away.

The Music Hall Foyer was grandly decorated and lit up with brilliant display of light Young Britannia had let loose. The gas lights provided fair illumination, but with the sudden flash of light, the whole hall was brilliantly lit up in all its splendour.

As where the dozen burly seamen.

"There they are!" shouted one "they shot at Ms. Wheatley! Get 'em boys!"

The strong men, whilst a little hung over from there night with Annice last night, leapt onto the two snipers and, whilst one of the seamen recieved a nasty rifle but to the head, and another a kick to the nether regions, had no chance. They where soon pinned to the floor.

Now the adrenaline of the performance and the chase had died down last night celebrations suddenly came back to greet her. She fought down the nausea, vomiting was not conducive to a hero image. She also had to be careful here, she didn’t want to be the local Angel of Mons.

She floated on down to the man holding the assassins

“Hello there I’m a friend of Ada, I’ve been looking after her, keeping her safe. Be careful with those men I need to know why they attacked. Could someone go fetch a Bobby?â€

She landed gracefully next to one of the men and leaned in close.

“Care to tell me why you’re here?â€

GM

“Care to tell me why you’re here?â€

"Yeah! tell the lady why you taking pot shops at Ms. Wheatley, you rascal!" shouted one of the larger seamen, in a rather strong cockney accent. "Loosen your ladders rung, or Ill give you a right handsome and dashing!"

The two men looked on defiantly and, simultaneously, their eyes focussed on the roof, spoke a mantra in Latin three times.

""*

The larger man raised his fist ready to strike....

One of them spat at Young Brittania in defiance.

*God grant me strength, God grant me strength, I will not speak!

With lightning speed and Young Britannia caught the burly man fist, holding it there with almost no effort at all.

“Whoa! There big guy. Hitting him isn’t going to help any, there expecting violence let try a little carrot for now.â€

She wiped the spittle off her face with her free hand.

“As for this I’ve had worse in Primary School. What next, are you going to pull my hair and call it unruly?â€

She gave her sweetest smile.

“It’s me or the mob; there want a little payback for you harming their beloved Ms Wheatley. I might be strong but I can’t stop them all. I can however keep you safe, but I need you to cooperate.â€

GM

“It’s me or the mob; there want a little payback for you harming their beloved Ms Wheatley. I might be strong but I can’t stop them all. I can however keep you safe, but I need you to cooperate.â€

The man looked defiantly at Young Britannia.

"Never!" he said "British Heathens! My loyalty is to the one true God of Rome, and I shall never speak!"

His comrade nodded.

"You shall never break the Inquisition!" he piped up, to the steely glare of the first man, admonishing him for his loose tounge.

The burly Seaman who had threatened the pair looked at Young Britannia in astonishment, unable to comprehend how his oak-thick arm had been caught without effort by the young woman.

"Whoa there girly!" he exclaimed "what the hell are you? some kind of them robots they be whispering about in Deptford?"

Agnes sighed inwardly she’d hope to avoid such questions, best to stick to a version of the truth

“I’m no machine I’m flesh and blood like you, I’m powered by the spirit of this land to help protect its people, all its people.â€

She had an idea it was risky but she wanted to be sure who all the sides were. She didn’t really want to hand these people over the Ministry for this world version of Waterboarding.

She picked the most worried of the two, though it was a close call. She let the sailor hand go and lifted the man up with both hands.

“I need you to protect him and keep him from harm until the Coppers get here, I’ll be back soon. As for you…â€

Holding the second Assassin tightly she flew through the door and straight up in the air in a streak of bright. Stopping above the fog which covered the city, were the air was colder but still breathable and look at the man she was carrying.

“I thought for you confession you’d like to be closer to God.â€

GM

The man looked at Young Brittania defiantly, and responded with a slight Italian accent.

"God shall witness my devotion to him! I will die a Martyr! Hahaha!" he shouted back, and added a few lines of the gospel in Latin for good measure.

Who should appear from between the hunched elbows and shoulders of the sailors than Mr. Trowell!

"Inquisition!" he said, nervously. "What the blazes are they doing here! Careful, they are dangerous. Even the Catholic Church cant stand them, although they would never say so for fear of being caught in one of their Iron Racks!"

Agnes carefully put the Assassin down.

“Well nobody expect the Inquisition…†wait no, defiantly not the right time. She gently shook her head to clear her thoughts.

The light around her spiked out around her angrily and settled down to an irritated fizzle.

“Okay it seems I’m missing an essential piece of information, and you might be just the man to provide the answers.â€

She held out her hand.

“Let’s do this all properly. Hello I’m Young Britannia and who may you be? And do you know exactly what is going on here?â€

GM

"My name is Simon Trowell" replied Simon Trowell.

"Music Hall and associated acts is my game. I am a talent spotter. And you, my dear, are talent!" he gave a wink, and passed her his card.

"Nice costume by the way" he added "very Parisian".

He turned his attention back to the two assassins.

"I don't know if you keep up with current affairs Ms. Brittania" he said "but you would have to be living in a Monk's Hole in the Shetland Islands not to have heard of the Inquisition. The secret police of the Vatican. Think they have a right to do anything in God's name, and usually do, even if it is distinctly ungodly". His face showed contempt.

"I can't say I am a religious man, Ms. Brittania. Church of England, on and off, for what its worth. Never saw the big hoo haa about the whole schism. One Church is the same as another as far as I concerned. But the Inquisition, well they even have the Pope running scared. They seem more interested in continuing their nasty grip on power than serving God, if you ask me. Well, you can ask anyone in the Empire - where at least they are free of their shadow, thank Victoria. Ask that question in a Catholic state and you may find yourself in serious hot water. "

He paused.

"Quite literally serious hot water, if the rumours are true..." he added.

Ah so it all hinged on something that everyone should know, except she didn’t. Being from a different universe and all. Oh well time to get (the hopefully) final pieces to solve this problem.

Agnes gave a little smile and the light around her pulsed around her.

“Well close enough, I’ve spent some time in America. Could you tell me this rumour that everyone but me seems to know?â€

She hoped her doppelganger was alright but she had a sneaking suspicion that these fanatics wouldn’t be quite so generous.

GM

"The Inquisition live up to their historical reputation, thats the rumour" replied Mr. Trowell, disgust on his face, to the rumblings of disquiet amongst the seamen. "Iron Maidens, the Rack, And cauldrons of boiling water. Hence the literally being in hot water"

"No doubt they justify it all in by saying torture is in the interest of the victim's soul. Crazy lunatics if you ask me. They left all sense of Godliness behind centuries ago. Its just a hang out place for psychopaths these days. Thank Victoria the Empire kicked these fools from our green soils. "

The latter statement was greeted by roudy applause and a few salutes.

"I dread to think what they have got against Ms. Wheatley"

Maybe it was her background or maybe just her more “modern†upbringing, but she wasn’t exactly enamoured with all this blatant nationalism. The light pulsed around her, as if it was slightly annoyed.

“You forgot the promise of unlimited rice pudding.†She put on a trace of a Scottish accent and smiled at her private joke.

She looked down on the two Inquisition assassins if they weren’t going to talk who to turn to.

“I assume the Vatican City has an embassy as befits all the great nations. Perhaps I should go pay them a visit and discuss the actions of there citizens?â€

GM

The two Inquisition agents merely smiled at Young Brittania.

"Yes, take us to our embassy!" one laughed "we demand it!"

Simon Trowell paused slightly, taking Young Britannia to one side "are you sure you know what you are doing? you have a plan?" he asked "the Vatican, they are scared stiff of the inquisition, they are going to do what they can to aide these men. Or, to be more accurate, appear to do what they can... no doubt they would celebrate if they were hauled of to the tower for the rest of their lives, or put to the noose. But they dread the inquisition so much, they probably wont dare..."

He wiped his brow.

"This is all getting messy..." he added.

Time to play a hunch, she leaned in conspiratorially. Even the light around her seem to dim slightly making her less obvious.

“You know more about this than your letting on. Please tell me what you know people’s lives are at steak Ms Wheatley safe for now but someone else will try and the next shot may be fatal.â€

Not that I want that, especially as Ada is currently me. Nor come to think of it the original Ada, though that ship might have unfortunately sailed.

“And don’t worry those two will be going to spend time in a British jail. I’m not quite as green as I look.â€

GM

“You know more about this than your letting on. Please tell me what you know people’s lives are at steak Ms Wheatley safe for now but someone else will try and the next shot may be fatal.â€

“And don’t worry those two will be going to spend time in a British jail. I’m not quite as green as I look.â€

Mr. Trowell sighed.

"May I take you to one side, my dear" he whispered in her ear, taking her by the elbow and leading her away from the two Inquisitors and the Seamen, half of whom followed, alongside what looked like a press photographer who started snapping away.

Mr. Trowell gave a grimace and lead Young Brittania straight out of the Music Hall and into his waiting horseless carriage, complete with steam puffing copper tubes and a dutiful chauffeur.

"The fact of the matter is" he said, once they where inside "Myself and Ms. Wheatley were having an...affair of the heart shall we say" he stopped to judge her expression "I hope I can count on your complete discretion here" he added giving a pointed look.

He sighed again, more dispirited "Ms. Wheatley was working for the Ministry of Intelligence. She had several admirers you know, and she was good at persuading them to part with information. She wanted out, or so she said. But I suspect her past came back to haunt her. She had one...particular admirer. A bishop of the catholic church!"

He seized young britannia by both arms. "Something has happened to her I know it! that bishop...those two men...they came to see me yesterday, claiming to be diplomats. I had no idea they where from the inquisition...they were just inquiring about the whereabouts of Ms. Wheatley and the Bishop..."

Agnes gave a little comforting smile and bought Mr Trowell into a full hug. It might not be the way a Victorian woman to behave, but it made her feel better. She pushed him slightly away and looked him in the eyes.

“I can tell you care deeply for Ms Wheatly, and I want her to be safe as well.†Especially as she’s me at the moment “Together we can make sure she safe, but I need as much information as you can provide.â€

As much as she wanted to say it she couldn’t promise that she was safe, though it was promising that the Inquisition were still after her, it could be that the original Ms. Wheatly was already beyond their help.

GM

"I...I don't know that much" he confessed.

"Archibald, drive us away from here..." he said, in a distracted voice.

"Very good Sir" said the unflappable driver, clearly reading the signs that Mr. Trowell just wished to Drive, never mind the direction.

"Ms. Wheatley, well, I have known her for years" started Mr. Trowel "and a fine upstanding woman she is too, make no mistake about it. I don't want any smut smeared over the gutter press, you understand. If I hear of any such nonsense, you will be hearing from my lawyers, my dear..." he said, momentarily serious.

"Well, I woman of her charms, she really is delightful....well, over the last year, we got, close..." he coughed into his hand.

"But you know, the thing is, she fraternised with so many people. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. She was no docks - lady. But everyone knew she played apon her charms, got to make friends with all sorts of rich and powerful people, from abroad often. "

"Now, heres the thing, I think a certain bishop...bishop Innocente, become somewhat infatuated with Ms. Wheatley. I confess, initially due to her...charms and at her doing, but I fear it developed into something stronger. An obsession. And now, we have two Inquisition agents, here to what? silence her? capture her? whisk her away to a secret den of vice in Italy?"

So the Ministry got me to impersonate a right trollop, but this poor sap genuinely cares for her. She hoped that if found Ada would return his love, but she doubted it.

So some bishop want’s his wicked way with the long lady and tries to keep her to herself, or based on the wound she took silence her for good. She could us the fact he must expect her to be dead to her advantage, but first she’d have to explain a few facts. Before the difficult conversation a little bit more information.

“So Mr Trowell tell me everything you know about this Bishop Innocente.â€

GM

“So Mr Trowell tell me everything you know about this Bishop Innocente.â€

"That won't take long..." replied Mr. Trowell, sadly. "I'm not a Catholic. Even if I was, wouldn't admit it. DOesn't go down to well with the powers that be in the Empire. He is Italian, I know that much, although I imagine you could guess that. Fairly high up in the Vatican Heirachy too. Ms., Whatley didn't say much about him, as you can..imagine. He turned up to nearly every show of hers he could get to. Been in England about a month I think. Stayed at the Hotel Wilde, so Ms. Whatley said. In the kind of luxury so becoming a man of the cloth..." he added with a note of contempt and sarcasm.

"I guess that's your best bet. Archibald! take us to the Hotel Wilde!"