Power Struggle! IC

angrydurf

Date: August 16th, 2011 (Tuesday)

It was a fairly normal day at The Lab some of its august residents out on other duties of course but there was a standard crew monitoring emergency channels between their other projects. It was nearing lunch time when the lights dimmed for the fraction of a second it took for the internal generators to kick in followed immediately by the com system lighting up with alerts. Something big was going down at Raymond Nuclear Power, and the services of Freedoms best and brightest were in need! Early reports indicate the plant fell under attack minutes ago by unknown forces and now has fallen into the hands of these vile foes of Freedom knocking out power to swaths of the city as the plant was cut off from the grid.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protectron had been surfing through the interwebs, placing orders with an assortment of vendors to refill the Lab's foodstocks.

Observation: Friend-Dragonfly and Friend-Ironclad have recently increased activity levels.

Conclusion: Elevated activity levels necessitate increased caloric and nutritive intake beyond current levels in order to maintain health.

Calculating new dietary supplements....
      Calculating ingredients needed for new supplements...

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

Power interruption detected.

Backups responding.

Protectron raced through the incoming news reports, noting the extent of the power loss, and gathering what info it could on the cause of the interruption. "Lab-Friends," its flat electronic voice called over the Lab's intercoms, "there has been an incident at Raymond Nuclear Power."

For his part, Murdock lacked the connections that the others had, the former Omegadrone being much more likely to be in Miss Americana's personal laboratory than anywhere in in the lab proper. As it was, the power outage caught him at home on a rare day off, in a period where he was the only one there. Though he'd been busy reading the (carefully-vetted) Freedom League reports about the liberated Omegachildren in Antarctica, something about this made him prick his ears. Suspicious, and taking advantage of his isolation, Murdock transformed into Harrier. The radio receiver inside his armor, the one with the internal circuitry that ran deep into his brain, picked up a police band report about the potential disaster at the nuclear plant. Having seen fission meltdowns in his time, Harrier took action now: donning first the holographic disguise of Caradoc, and then using the chameleon circuitry in his pike to become invisible, he flew out the window and towards the incipient disaster.

Jessica Parker was deep in the bowels of the Lab, watching a lathe shape a piece of aluminum into a hollow conduit. The process didn't need someone overseeing it, and certainly not someone of Jessica's rank. However she found the process relaxing, almost meditative in its own way.

So when the lights shut off for a whole second, she was plunged into darkness. There was a flare of light that reflected off the machines in the shop and when the power came back on she was clad in her armor. Ironclad's sensors swept the room and found nothing of note. She was already moving towards the elevator at the core of the building when Protectron's announcement rang out. She reached out with her abnormal mind and formed a link with the robot's peripherals systems. "Ironclad here," she transmitted. "I noticed the power fluctuations -- did the plant really go offline? I'll meet you at the edge of the compound."

The elevator doors opened at a wave of her hand but there was no car in the space beyond. The armored heroine stepped into the empty shaft, stared upwards, and ignited her thrusters. Little twitched took her past the other cars and when she exited into the hanger bay, the doors were already open just enough for her (relatively) slim figure to slip through. It only took a moment for her to orient on the power plant and she was off.

Alert: Incoming Transmission. From Friend-Ironclad.

"Affirmative, Friend-Ironclad," the robot's voice replied over the mental-radio link. As the robot filed her in, it made it ways to the hangar where she would be flying off from. "Live news reports have shown some entities have taken over the Plant, though have not as yet identified the assailants, nor have they made any demands. I have attempted to contact other Lab-Friends, but all are unresponsive; theorize they are either already on the way, or are engaged in work elsewhere and are unaware of situation."

Primary Goal: Preserve as much organic life as possible.

They both arrived at the hanger at around the same time. "It appears it is just you and me. I should warn you, my flight systems are still far below peak operative efficiency, but I shall make all attempts to keep up with you."

The Heroes streaked across the skies of freedom while below the streets were thrown into chaos by the blackouts as the Freedom Power authority tried to reroute power from other sources and bring the city fully back online. Arriving on the perimeter of the compound housing the Raymond Nuclear Facility, Freedom's finest were already present in force cordoning off the area and treating workers and security personnel who had fled the plant. Injuries looked to be minor but several small plumes of smoke could be seen wafting over areas of the plant particularly the assorted power junctures used to pipe the plants out put to the city.

Near the main entrance there was a clear command center where authorities from FCPD, AEGIS, and the AEC were gathered. In the distance within the compound humanoid forms could be seen Errecting makeshift barriers and taking up defensive positions.

Protectron scanned the scene with its advanced malfunctioning robot eyes.

Scanning civilians... injuries negligible.

Observation: clouds may be steam from reactor core; leaks may be indicative of imminent meltdown.

Scanning area... thermal scans indicate clouds are not steam -- threat of reactor core overload not as immediate as hypothesized -- but do detect increased heat from figures erecting barricades.

Enhancing image... figures are robots of unknown make, but brass and smoke indicate style known as 'steampunk'.
    Cross-referencing databases.... no match found

Protectron pointed at the figures, "those are robots of some sort, though I do not recognize them. They appear to be of 'steampunk' design. Suggest-"

Alert: Incoming figure detected.

Scanning... thermal and ultraviolet scans indicate figure is Friend-Caradoc, utilizing optical cloak.

"Ah, another Friend is coming," the robot said flatly, staring up at nothing in the sky.

Without a need to meet the others in the air, and indeed unaware there were other heroes on the scene at first, 'Caradoc' made his own way towards the power plant. He opted not to interact with the local authorities, not wanting an accidental reveal of his ever-shaky secret to the crowd below. Lacking a good view of the others, 'Caradoc' took advantage of his chameleon circuitry to fly right over the makeshift barricade and study the group who had seized control of the fission plant. Unfortunately, that also meant he was in the line of fire when the robots below turned out to have far better sensors than he'd anticipated, based on the sudden outbreak of weapons below. Perhaps I should discuss a better disguise with Miss Americana-

As 'Caradoc' entered the complex and neared the busily building bots they dropped their burdens and with a clank and a hiss brought their weaponry to bear on the invisible hero soon sending bolts of brilliant electricity arcing towards him. The bolts were easily visible from the perimeter even if the target was not. fortunately it seemed the lightning projectors lacked the strength to pierce the heroes armor and he was left unaffected. moments later the barricade the robots had constructed rose in a writhing mass to interpose itself between the robots and the hero.

Harrier could see the facilities were crawling with these strange constructs of whirring gears, springs, and puffing steam. More groups seemed to be closing in from other areas as the disturbance was somehow relayed to the other invaders.

Observation: Unknown Robots employing some manner of electrical discharge units.

Energy stored in chemical batteries on back? Possible weak point if breached?

Observation: Bolts are contacting Friend-Caradoc, but lack power to overcome his defenses.

"Be aware, Friend-Ironclad," the strange robot said, "these villains are using electrical attacks."

Observation: Unknown Robots employing some manner of magnetic field to erect additional barriers.

Tactic: Avoid capture.

"I have an idea: though these robots appear 'steampunk,' there may be some traditional computers underlying their systems. I may be able to access them and learn more about them, and perhaps convince them to stop." not waiting for an answer, Protectron turned from Ironclad and stomped off towards the battle, stopping 100 feet from the nearest robot.

Initiating contact... seeking host....

When the robots opened fire, Caradoc dropped his cloak. The electrical discharges were a concern, given his cybernetic body's general reaction to electromagnetic overloads: i.e., that he would explode. However, given that they didn't seem to have power enough to do that, he opted instead to draw their fire. This close he'd been able to pick out Protectron's golden armor in the police crowd, and so he knew there were other heroes on the scene. "Criminals below!" he called, using his best attempt at a phony Middle English accent. "Ye are in violation of the laws of Man and the Church! Stand down, or face the wrath of the noble Caradoc!" He'd been in enough battles to know the value of someone who drew the fire of opponents, letting his allies gauge the power of the targets below.

Ironclad slowed down as she approached the power plant and the armored knight -- Caradoc? I've seen him around the Lab, haven't I? -- pulled ahead of her. She saw the clockwork robots fire on Caradoc, noting the flash of electricity. That gave the armored heroine pause; her suit could dampen the sensation of physical pain and stop bullets, missiles, acid, and even magic spells from overloading her mind with agony, but for some reason electricity always overloaded any defenses she could come up with. "Get in the game, Ironclad," she muttered to herself. "No guts, no glory." Still, she reflected that she didn't need to make it easy for the steampunk monsters to hurt her; she stopped at the very edges of her own range and examined the scrap metal shield, looking for a weakness to exploit.

Unable to connect/Host not found

"I am unable to detect any systems with which I can interface, Friend-Ironclad," the strange robot said after a moment. "I shall attempt to engage them verbally. Suggest you proceed inside, learn what you can, while Caradoc and I draw their attention."

Initiating diplomatic subroutines

Amplifying volume of vocal apparatus.

"My fellow mechanoids," Protectron announced as he strode towards the stemabots, hands held up, "there is no need for such violence, or to deprive the organics of Freedom their power. I am certain that, working together, we can all reach a mutually beneficial arrangement."

The swirling scrap shield provided ample cover for the mechnanoid invaders as they fired arcing blasts of electric death towards Caradocs taunting form. They seemed unaware of the ineffectualness of their assault however and as reinforcements arrived they joined in firing long blasts of jolting electricity towards the hero seemingly unaware of the other closing in.

Careful observation of the shield revealed that the robots must be communicating in some fashion as the shield would gap just long enough for a blast to escape closing up behind the bolt near instantly. The robots moved in an odd symmetry almost as if all of one mind, odd considering that by Protectron's abilities it seemed they lacked any means of communication.

'Caradoc' could stand any bombardment if it meant helping his friends defeat this mechanical threat, particularly one that caused him no pain. "Ye have trespassed against the might of Camelot and the knights of Arthur!" exclaimed the former Omegadrone, drawing on the Saturday morning cartoons he had watched to research his character's mythological upbringing. He was very heated about it, even if something did seem just a little off to the watching heroes. "Ye shall be smited as would a dragon smite a knight!" And with that, he flew down towards the group below, glowing 'sword' in hand, ready to do battle with the robots here rather than at the heart of the nuclear plant!

Ironclad slowly moved around the group of clockwork robots, looking for an opening in their shield. There didn't seem to be one -- their actions were too well-coordinated (and she was too shy of the lightning bolts) to exploit any opening. Eventually the heroine settled herself at a comfortable distance from the fight and examined her options. If she couldn't sneak an attack past the shield of electrified junk she would have to punch through it. It was a risky gambit, but if any hero on the scene had the power, she did. Ironclad held herself steady in the air as diverted power gathered in her wrist blasters, and in a flare of light she sent a maximum-charged blast towards the barrier.

The junk shield was sheared away by the blast from Ironclads overcharged wrist blasters the scrap and debris vaporized as the field supporting it was overloaded by the strain sending dark and angry smoke from the generator on the controlling robots back. Before the dust and flare of light had cleared Caradoc was among the mechanical malcontents and his mighty blade rendered all within reach asunder in one mighty sweep sending a spray of steam and fire skyward as their boilers were breached.

The advancing reinforcements fell into defensive positions deeper within the compound either ignoring or unable to process Protectron's attempts at diplomacy. To those more strategically minded it was clear these robots were concentrating on delaying attempts to penetrate the facility rather than draw a firm line of battle.

Ironclad watched her blast and Caradoc's sword served for the robots holding the front of the plant. Surprisingly, the reinforcements didn't throw themselves into the battle; that was unusual, in her experience. Most supervillains didn't have any tactical plans besides "hit the heroes until they fall over." This bespoke a more cunning mind that usual, and it required a bit of forethought.

The armored heroine withdrew, landing at the AEGIS/AEC command post near the entrance. She unsealed her helmet, the metal bowl folding away and into her armor. The young woman brushed a lock of blond hair out of her eyes and gave the scientists and government agents assembled a long look before speaking. "Alright," she said. "What's the situation, then?"

Observation: Steampunk Mechanoids
    Query: Steamechanoids?

appear to be concentrating on delaying our progress into the power plant.

Hypothesis: This suggests a time-sensitive element to the criminal actions or whoever or whatever is within.

"Friend-Caradoc," Protectron called out in its flat, amplified voice, "we must get inside quickly and stop whatever is occurring. Can you clear a path through these misguided mechanoids for me?"

The strange robot form the future turned back to the steambots, "I regret what we must do, but your tenacity and limited processors leave us little choice. However, I do believe a study of your systems may useful to law enforcement and toy manufacturers."

Caradoc's journey through the robot hordes was mechanical in its own way, the 'knight''s attacks as rigidly organized as the robots' reply. He smashed aside weapons raised against him and drove the blade of his 'sword' through heads and faces, bringing the blade down through the midsection to slice bodies in twain when some particular design proved more resilient. This was hardly the first robot army the former Omegadrone had destroyed, though it was certainly under more pleasant circumstances than the last. In the real fight, he didn't bother with the fake banter: instead he was simply a one-man murder machine, silently tearing his way through the robotic gang until at last he stood at the entrance of the plant, his body covered in scratches and gouges, glistening with mechanical oil, but none of it his. "Are the rest of you prepared?" he inquired at their approach.

Whatever intelligence was guiding these bots it seemed had decided to cut it's losses and did not bring about more Bots to close the hole in the defenses though movement on the fingers of the path cleared by 'Caradoc' suggested that there were still forces enough to repel the PD from making a push to retake the facility.

Back at the base camp the command staff seemed appreciative of the heroes intervention. "Details are still a bit hazy." the FCPD captain spoke up first, "We have some witness accounts but they don't make much sense." he admitted scratching his head. "They say that like some kinda blimp landed near the cooling pools and a bunch of like weird robots marched out." he explained glancing uncertainly to the Higher ranked Aegis and AEC officers present.

"Nothing from any of our radar stations either in lonely point or any of te local airstrips showed anything in the area." he insisted, "Blimps do not hide from radar." he added for emphasis.

The Police officer broke in again, "I was just filling her in on our reports." he snapped it seemed tensions were running high in the command center. "Our first alert was an alarm raised about twenty minutes ago. We called in for confirmation and got back an all clear code. About ten minutes later we started getting cell phone calls from the plant workers." he explained despite the glowers from the AEGIS agent. "Seems the robots insisted they leave the plant or face offensive action. Only injuries we have confirmed seem to be from the rush to get out and one or two security guards who tried to fight."

The AEC representative stepped in, "There are a number of dangers beyond this power loss with an unknown agent taking control of a facility of this nature." he said urgently, "My fellows here have sent in some of their forces but they have been continually rebuffed by the mechanized enemies." he said quickly. "If you and your cohorts can get inside we need to regain control of the facility, thus far there has been no leaks or signs of radioactivity but who knows what they might be up to in there."

The AEGIS rep spoke up in agreement finally, "We could use your help." He looked out over the plant where 'Caradoc' had cleared a path. "There have been no demands thus far so we can only assume what they want is in the reactor building itself." he added ominously.

Ironclad nodded curtly, her helmet reforming and snapping into place. With a quirk burst from her thrusters she rejoined the other heroes near the entrance to the power station. "This plant has two reactions," she informed them without preamble. "Whoever took over grabbed those reactors first. They haven't made any demands, so we can only assume they're actually here for the fissible materials." The young genius paused for a moment before adding, "Which actually can't be used in a nuclear bomb, but could do plenty of damage if it was wedded to a traditional explosive. In any case, we need to find out where this guy or gal is ASAP and shut them down.

"To that end I think we should split up. I think I can make it so the machines and security cameras can't see me. Protectron, Caradoc, you two should be able to bust through to the other reactor. That should also draw most of the robots, making my infiltration easier. Once we find out where the baddie hunkered down, we can group up and hit 'em together."

Observation: Steampunk requires steam.

"I have an alternative hypothesis," Protectron intoned. "As it appears the perpetrators of this disruption are operating on a 'steampunk' theme, they may be after the fissile materials -- and water from the cooling towers -- to drive bigger and more potent steampunch devices, not for any radiological purposes." It turned its head slightly, just enough to see the defending steambots, "they may intend to use it to drive a giant steamechanoid."

Tactical Analysis: Friend-Ironclad's technopathic abilities may be of limited use against steamechanoids.

"Caution is advised, Friend-Ironclad," it said, turning back to face her. "These robots seem irresponsive to technopathic interface. However, internal security may be accessible, allowing you to control what the usurpers see and hear."

Ironclad stared at Protectron blankly for a long moment, then shook her head sharply. "Internal security! Why didn't I think of that! Augh, sometimes I get way too focused on handing the bad guys their collective butt on a platter." The young genius moved to one of the ubiquitous, rubber-sheathed lines running into and out of the plant. She hovered her gauntleted hand over several of them until she found one that she needed. She closed her eyes, floating in midair, and after a moment faint, electric-blue lights seeped out from the chinks in her armor. Ironclad herself was unaware of any of this; all her attention was focused inwardly as her mind dived into the power station's computer systems. She threw herself against anti-intrusion virii and slid around firewalls, searching for the internal camera feed.

The initial layers of security parted before Ironclads technopathic assault like so much wheat before the scythe. Unfortunately getting to any systems more complex than internal e-mail and duty rosters seemed beyond her skill. With some effort she was able to get read only access to some of the reactor control system logs. While the external draw had been eliminated entirely the reactors were steadily hearing towards maximum output. Where that power was going however was a mystery.

At the door Protectron and Harrier could hear heavy metallic footfalls from within and drawing closer. When they seemed to reach nearly to the door Ironclad found herself suddenly locked out of the system with a haunting afterimage of, 'You Have Seen Enough!' burned into her mind as sparks leaped from the interface and crackling energy lanced over her suit seeking ground.