A New Day, A New Way

Quiett

"Well, let me drop my stuff off at my apartment and then we can head that direction. I live just up the street. We can leave your board there too." Alan starts to walk a out of the park.

"Works for me. I will try using this some other day.

"I really like your accent, where are you originally from?"

"Bulgaria. My family moved here to put me in a good school. Too bad I ended up getting us kicked out of where we were living.. But now I get to go to Claremont for such a cheap price. I think they just are just happy to work for a wage and not traveling aimlessly. I wish we could go back though, I much prefer wandering, dancing and not caring about school work!"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well, let me drop my stuff off at my apartment and then we can head that direction. I live just up the street. We can leave your board there too." Alan starts to walk a out of the park.

"Works for me. I will try using this some other day.

"I really like your accent, where are you originally from?"

"Bulgaria. My family moved here to put me in a good school. Too bad I ended up getting us kicked out of where we were living.. But now I get to go to Claremont for such a cheap price. I think they just are just happy to work for a wage and not traveling aimlessly. I wish we could go back though, I much prefer wandering, dancing and not caring about school work!"

"It's common. Lots of plans made little time to do it or other things get in the way. East Europe is a great place to visit and we usually get tourists who have been to Europe before because most tourists typically go to West Europe first since it's the typical location. We get a few backpackers though. By the way, what was with those comics back there? Aren't you a little old for that?" Kizzy grins at him as she mocks him, her smile making it easy to tell she is just joking around.

"It's common. Lots of plans made little time to do it or other things get in the way. East Europe is a great place to visit and we usually get tourists who have been to Europe before because most tourists typically go to West Europe first since it's the typical location. We get a few backpackers though. By the way, what was with those comics back there? Aren't you a little old for that?" Kizzy grins at him as she mocks him, her smile making it easy to tell she is just joking around.

Meanwhile...

Viktor Archeville strolled down Meadow Lane, a few blocks away from Riverside Park. He'd spent the day in City Hall, working on getting zoning permits for the house he wished to build in Hanover, a process which he knew could take quite some time. Really should've started on that before moving out here, he thought to himself. But, at least I was able to get that apartment set up.

As he walked down the street, a few people did double-takes at him -- even in Freedom City, it was atypical to see an attractive man in a full-length labcoat walking down the street. He smiled at them all, trying not to go too far one way and look like a schmoozy ham actor, and not too far the other and look like a leering maniac. Always his pace was even and efficient, headed directly towards Riverside Park.

His journey did have one pause, however. While walking down a residential block, he saw a group of children, most some eight or nine years old, playing with a frisbee in the streets. An errant toss by one of the lads saw the disc soar up into and become lodged in the high branches of an elm tree. Archeville expected to see one scamper up and retrieve it, but they all just looked up at it forlornly.

"Vhat's zhe matter, children?," Archeville called out.

"Our frisbee'ss tuck, mister!" one of the smaller children blurted out, "but we can't get it out!"

"Oh? Vhy not? Zhe tree looks-" Archeville stopped in mid-sentence as he paused to actually look at the tree.

"It's sick, mister, has been for weeks," one of the older lads -- actually a tomboyish girl -- said. "Dad says it's unsafe to climb."

"Ja, ja, indeed it is, my boy. You see zhe discolorations, zhere, und zhere, und zhere?" Archeville pointed, but did not wait for a response before continuing on, "Zhose are spots vhere zhe tree is dying, from a fungus, probably Ophiostoma ulmi. Zhe fungus is spread by beetles, or by infected trees touching one another...." Archeville pauses in his mini-lecture to look up and down the street at the other elms, "but none of the others around zeem infected. Which vould leave zhe third mezhod, pruning mit tools used on an infected tree but not properly cleansed." Archeville looked up at the infected tree and studied it's upper branches.

"Yeah, I remember some of the branches were cut!," another child chimed in. "They were stickin' out and gettin' tangled in the power lines!"

"Hrrmmm, ja, I see, several branches near zhe top cut, und zhat's vhere zhe fungal infection started. I'm sorry to say zhis, children, but I do not believe zhis tree vill be around for much longer."

A few cries of disappointment escaped the children's lips. As if in sympathy, the tree suddenly creaked and drooped down a bit more.

"Ah, do not be so glum, children! You are in luck, for I..." Archeville paused for dramatic effect, and activated his gravimetric belt to hover a few feet in the air, "... am a Doktor!"

Meanwhile...

Viktor Archeville strolled down Meadow Lane, a few blocks away from Riverside Park. He'd spent the day in City Hall, working on getting zoning permits for the house he wished to build in Hanover, a process which he knew could take quite some time. Really should've started on that before moving out here, he thought to himself. But, at least I was able to get that apartment set up.

As he walked down the street, a few people did double-takes at him -- even in Freedom City, it was atypical to see an attractive man in a full-length labcoat walking down the street. He smiled at them all, trying not to go too far one way and look like a schmoozy ham actor, and not too far the other and look like a leering maniac. Always his pace was even and efficient, headed directly towards Riverside Park.

His journey did have one pause, however. While walking down a residential block, he saw a group of children, most some eight or nine years old, playing with a frisbee in the streets. An errant toss by one of the lads saw the disc soar up into and become lodged in the high branches of an elm tree. Archeville expected to see one scamper up and retrieve it, but they all just looked up at it forlornly.

"Vhat's zhe matter, children?," Archeville called out.

"Our frisbee'ss tuck, mister!" one of the smaller children blurted out, "but we can't get it out!"

"Oh? Vhy not? Zhe tree looks-" Archeville stopped in mid-sentence as he paused to actually look at the tree.

"It's sick, mister, has been for weeks," one of the older lads -- actually a tomboyish girl -- said. "Dad says it's unsafe to climb."

"Ja, ja, indeed it is, my boy. You see zhe discolorations, zhere, und zhere, und zhere?" Archeville pointed, but did not wait for a response before continuing on, "Zhose are spots vhere zhe tree is dying, from a fungus, probably Ophiostoma ulmi. Zhe fungus is spread by beetles, or by infected trees touching one another...." Archeville pauses in his mini-lecture to look up and down the street at the other elms, "but none of the others around zeem infected. Which vould leave zhe third mezhod, pruning mit tools used on an infected tree but not properly cleansed." Archeville looked up at the infected tree and studied it's upper branches.

"Yeah, I remember some of the branches were cut!," another child chimed in. "They were stickin' out and gettin' tangled in the power lines!"

"Hrrmmm, ja, I see, several branches near zhe top cut, und zhat's vhere zhe fungal infection started. I'm sorry to say zhis, children, but I do not believe zhis tree vill be around for much longer."

A few cries of disappointment escaped the children's lips. As if in sympathy, the tree suddenly creaked and drooped down a bit more.

"Ah, do not be so glum, children! You are in luck, for I..." Archeville paused for dramatic effect, and activated his gravimetric belt to hover a few feet in the air, "... am a Doktor!"

Alan looked slightly embarrassed as he answered Kizzy. "I'm reading up on them for... um... a project. I'm an artist and I like to see other styles."

Alan hoped his explanation would curb any more questions. He looked forward and noticed a man floating on air. Stopping dead in his tracks, Alan looked around for a place to change before realizing he was standing with a young lady. A normal young lady.

Alan looked slightly embarrassed as he answered Kizzy. "I'm reading up on them for... um... a project. I'm an artist and I like to see other styles."

Alan hoped his explanation would curb any more questions. He looked forward and noticed a man floating on air. Stopping dead in his tracks, Alan looked around for a place to change before realizing he was standing with a young lady. A normal young lady.

Not having seen the two new heroes arrive, Archeville continued addressing the children. "I can easily solve your immediate problem..." he said as he flew up to the branch ensnaring the errant discus, "by flying up und retrieving your frisbee for you!"

With a smile he tossed it to the youngest child there, though the child was too amazed at what he was seeing and it landed at his feet instead.

"As for zhe tree itself," he continued, withdrawing some small glass vials and his Electromagnetic Screwdriver from his pockets, "I should be able to cure it, once I'm able to take some samples of the fungus and do some analyses at mein laboratory." After a bit of scraping, Archeville returned the vials and his uber-tool to his pockets, then floated back down to the ground. "It should not be too difficult a task -- why, I bet I could do it standing on mein head!" With that, Archeville flipped himself over upside down so it appeared he was doing a hand-stand (confident in the security of his zippered pockets). Most of the children laughed and squealed, either at the doktor's antics or because they'd already resumed playing with their frisbee.

Through the groupings of children, from his inverted position, Archeville could just make out Alan & Keira. Having no idea who they were are where they came from,he decided to wait a bit and let them make the first social move.

Not having seen the two new heroes arrive, Archeville continued addressing the children. "I can easily solve your immediate problem..." he said as he flew up to the branch ensnaring the errant discus, "by flying up und retrieving your frisbee for you!"

With a smile he tossed it to the youngest child there, though the child was too amazed at what he was seeing and it landed at his feet instead.

"As for zhe tree itself," he continued, withdrawing some small glass vials and his Electromagnetic Screwdriver from his pockets, "I should be able to cure it, once I'm able to take some samples of the fungus and do some analyses at mein laboratory." After a bit of scraping, Archeville returned the vials and his uber-tool to his pockets, then floated back down to the ground. "It should not be too difficult a task -- why, I bet I could do it standing on mein head!" With that, Archeville flipped himself over upside down so it appeared he was doing a hand-stand (confident in the security of his zippered pockets). Most of the children laughed and squealed, either at the doktor's antics or because they'd already resumed playing with their frisbee.

Through the groupings of children, from his inverted position, Archeville could just make out Alan & Keira. Having no idea who they were are where they came from,he decided to wait a bit and let them make the first social move.

Kizzy grins at the strange man in the labcoat and uses her skateboard to spin up to him. Hey, are you with the circus? I heard that it was in town but I didn't know they let their people wander this far away! If not where do you perform? You're great..and how do you float? Are you a superhero? If not and you're a villain you really shouldn't go around helping little kids, it kind of works against the whole evil image thing. Maybe Alan here will beat you up, he seems to like his comics and superheroes. Kizzy grins back at her companion and laughs at his expense. I am just joking of course. But seriously, are you a superhero? There's so many in this town nowadays you can never quite tell. Oh, I'm Kizzy by the way.

Kizzy grins at the strange man in the labcoat and uses her skateboard to spin up to him. Hey, are you with the circus? I heard that it was in town but I didn't know they let their people wander this far away! If not where do you perform? You're great..and how do you float? Are you a superhero? If not and you're a villain you really shouldn't go around helping little kids, it kind of works against the whole evil image thing. Maybe Alan here will beat you up, he seems to like his comics and superheroes. Kizzy grins back at her companion and laughs at his expense. I am just joking of course. But seriously, are you a superhero? There's so many in this town nowadays you can never quite tell. Oh, I'm Kizzy by the way.

It was only due to Archeville's inhumanly fast brain that he was able to keep up with the barrage of questions shot at him by Keira, and respond with almost equal speed as he righted himself up. "No. Vhy not? Germany, originally, but now here. Thank you. Science. I haff been called such byzhose I haff helped. I'm not. I'd rather he not. As I said, I do vhat I can. Nice to meet you."

Archeville smiled and swept his hair back from his face. "To answer your questions more fully: No, I am not mit ze circus, and I see little reason that they wouldn't let their performers out. I am originally from Germany, though have recently moved here to America. I am able to float because of this," he pulled one side of his labcoat back slightly to better show off the circuitry-lined softly glowing blue-and-gray belt he wore. "Vhich I invented meinself." He let got of the edge of his coat to let it fall back into place, "I haff been called ein 'superhero' in mein homeland, and if zhat is zhe label others vish to apply to me as I do vhat I can to help, zhen so be it."

He looked over at Alan, seemed to study him intently for a moment, then looked back to Keira. "I am not a villain, and I'd rather your friend Alan not beat me up. Kizzy, you say? Not an American name, I'd wager, but zhen, your accent does not sound very American, eizher," he said with a chuckle. He then bowed to her with a grand flourish, "I am Herr Doktor Viktor Archeville, und I am most pleased to meet you."

It was only due to Archeville's inhumanly fast brain that he was able to keep up with the barrage of questions shot at him by Keira, and respond with almost equal speed as he righted himself up. "No. Vhy not? Germany, originally, but now here. Thank you. Science. I haff been called such byzhose I haff helped. I'm not. I'd rather he not. As I said, I do vhat I can. Nice to meet you."

Archeville smiled and swept his hair back from his face. "To answer your questions more fully: No, I am not mit ze circus, and I see little reason that they wouldn't let their performers out. I am originally from Germany, though have recently moved here to America. I am able to float because of this," he pulled one side of his labcoat back slightly to better show off the circuitry-lined softly glowing blue-and-gray belt he wore. "Vhich I invented meinself." He let got of the edge of his coat to let it fall back into place, "I haff been called ein 'superhero' in mein homeland, and if zhat is zhe label others vish to apply to me as I do vhat I can to help, zhen so be it."

He looked over at Alan, seemed to study him intently for a moment, then looked back to Keira. "I am not a villain, and I'd rather your friend Alan not beat me up. Kizzy, you say? Not an American name, I'd wager, but zhen, your accent does not sound very American, eizher," he said with a chuckle. He then bowed to her with a grand flourish, "I am Herr Doktor Viktor Archeville, und I am most pleased to meet you."

Kizzy looks at the belt with awe. She wobbles on the skateboard and steps off of it, tucking it under one arm while extending the other for a handshake. I am from Bulgaria originally. What part of Germany are you from? We spent a few months in Hamburg way back when I was a kid. I don't remember much though. By the way, can I get one of those belts? That'd be like uber-cool and all. I mean who doesn't want to float and fly? Can you go building-diving with that? Like, jumping off and then activating it in mid fall? Cos that'd be fun. I tried doing that off of a cliff once but just ended up with a broken leg.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Dr. Archeville. My name's Alan Starsmore, and despite my choice in reading material, I will not be beating you up, even if you were a super-villain."

Pfft, you wouldn't be any fun to take to a robbery.

Kizzy looks at the belt with awe. She wobbles on the skateboard and steps off of it, tucking it under one arm while extending the other for a handshake. I am from Bulgaria originally. What part of Germany are you from? We spent a few months in Hamburg way back when I was a kid. I don't remember much though. By the way, can I get one of those belts? That'd be like uber-cool and all. I mean who doesn't want to float and fly? Can you go building-diving with that? Like, jumping off and then activating it in mid fall? Cos that'd be fun. I tried doing that off of a cliff once but just ended up with a broken leg.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Dr. Archeville. My name's Alan Starsmore, and despite my choice in reading material, I will not be beating you up, even if you were a super-villain."

Pfft, you wouldn't be any fun to take to a robbery.

"I'm quite relieved to hear zhat, Alan!" Archeville said as he shook his hand. "I vould hate for us to get off on zhe wrong foot!"

"Bulgaria, eh?" he says/asks as he turns back to Keira. "Zhat's a good deal southeast from Germany, I believe. I am from Schönwald im Schwarzwald, in zhe Black Forest, far to zhe southwest of Hamburg. I haff been zhere a few times, helped break up a ring of smugglers operating zhere. Nasty business, zhat. As for mein belt, I'm afraid to say zhat zhis is zhe only one I haff. I had a spare, but it vas destroyed vhile fighting some self-proclaimed hexen -- er, witches -- in Externsteine."

"Plus," he added with a wink to Keira, for all I know, you two are villains trying to fool me into vorking for you!"