Invisible Horizons OOC

angrydurf

Supercape, Blueshift, and Torque respond to a dimensional anomaly in midtown and track down an escaped creature. May be a special guest star or two.

You each for the purposes of this thread have some kind of equipment either on your person or in your Lab/HQ that detects inter-dimensional fluctuations that tells you something big is about to go down in Midtown. For cinematic ease you all will arrive at about the same time differences in travel powers accounted for by how early a warning you got. Regardless you have just enough time to get in costume and there once you get the warning.

I'm aiming for like Early august with this and will default to August 1st but I know the timeline is snarled so lemme know if that'll be an issue for anyone.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to quickness, I'm going to spam as many knowledge checks, and research topics as I can in an attempt to find out what we're dealing with, taking 20 as necessary.

:arrow: Blueshift hits DC 35 on Knowledge (Technology), Knowledge (Physical Sciences), Knowledge (Pop Culture), and Knowledge (Tactics).

:arrow: Eiditic memory allows her to make all other knowledge checks untrained regardless of DC. She hits DC 27 on those.

:arrow: Well informed allows her to make gather information checks on site. She can Use Computers instead thanks to Online Research and Data Link. She'll hit DC 43 automatically on anything in that department

:arrow: She can take 20 on Notice for a DC 35.

:arrow: She has the following super senses Active

Super Senses 9 (All Visual Senses [Extras], Danger Sense [Radio], Distance Sense, Infravision [Visual, Extras: Tracking], Radar [Radio, Extras: Accurate, Drawbacks: Not Radius], Radio) [9PP]

Visual-type senses are Accurate, Acute, and Ranged by default. Radio-type senses are Acute, Radius, and Ranged by default.

Hope that'll make your life a little easier :)

Blueshift: That's no Storm! Despite the obvious visuals and effects there is none of the pressure variations or radar/infrared signature that a storm of this magnitude would normally display. Visually it is also highly localized. There is pretty limited data available on whether villains like Dr. Stratos' storms show up on dopler etc. but Supers both villainous and heroic are the primary examples of storms this localized that your research turns up. As you approach closer your electronics start to show alot of obvious false readings. Pop culture turns up that many of these phenomenon have been recorded as part of the "mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle" but are usually attributed to equipment failure or other such explanations.

Supercape: You too will note that you are not getting the radar feedback you would expect from a storm such as this suggesting a supernatural origin. Additionally you will note strong high energy EM fields pulsing in the center of the "cloud".

Torque: Likewise none of your suits sensors are showing the normal readings one gets off a storm. High likelihood of supernatural origin.

Additionally you all have plenty of senses to notice one another and meet up if you choose. Beyond that you all if you wish can get some idea that this effect seems to be extra dimensional in origin, perhaps some sort of rift or portal?

Need Notice checks from Torque and Supercape. DC 25

Blueshift has Gadgets, as a standard action, I could reconfigure and add some more super senses or possibly analytical to my suite. Can I make knowledge or wisdom checks to see if there's "something else I'm missing" in any of the areas that I've already covered that might cause her, in character, to want to cook up additional or further enhanced senses like this?

Well if you get some kind of analytical dimensional sense you can tell that this is pretty much a "natural" dimensional rift or at least that it is chaotic and unstable enough that if it isn't it's being generated by some pretty jury rigged mechanism. Regardless the point of origin is on the other side.

What I'm asking is this: Is it okay for her to pull up the exact super sense she needed like this? Or would you like me to roll something for her to realize, "This might be dimensional screwyness" and pull the deus ex out of nowhere? I don't want to be unfair... Some GM's are touchy about using VP's for things like supersenses and immunities, so I figured I'd ask.

Alright to keep things moving beating the spot check lets you take note of the much scuffed and scraped lettering along the side of the damaged jet reading "DANGER!" In bold red letters outlined in a golden yellow, revealing the strange Craft to in fact be the Danger!Jet flying chariot of globe trotting adventurer and hero Ace Danger.

Since Blue auto passes that check, and free action Knowledges or Gather Info available on that? When was it last seen, etc?

EDIT: On the interests of speeding things up as well, I'm going to use her first standard action to reconfigure gadgets and grab the appropriate Analytical Dimensional senses (Do you need me to bother stating it out?)

Ace hasn't been seen in freedom for nearly a year but he's well known for dropping off the map for extended periods.

No need to stat it all out. You can get the info I mentioned above from it.

Well if you get some kind of analytical dimensional sense you can tell that this is pretty much a "natural" dimensional rift or at least that it is chaotic and unstable enough that if it isn't it's being generated by some pretty jury rigged mechanism. Regardless the point of origin is on the other side.

Sorry I think I was unclear on that. The check is 12d0 + str mod. + SS ranks.

So for torque 1d20+13+2 or 1d20+15 if I read his sheet right. So with that Roll it would be a 23 total. This isn't really a binary succeed fail kinda check more a staged deal the better you do the more you slow the plane so re-roll if you want.

Blueshift and Supercape lemme know if you want to try anything as well.

Supercape is somewhat pants in these circusmtances. But the best he can do is create some Quantum Matter as a kind of slide to help ease the impact (its completely solid, so it wont cushion the blow - but he might be able to make it curve so the plane wont have a direct impact).

Of course Quantum matter is a bit strange. In odd dimensional rifts it might not work at all. I have written it up in Terry Pratchet style "It doesn't technically exist - that's why its so strong!"

I will leave the fluff of whether that helps at all, or even works entirely up to you. I'm throwing it up mainly as Supercape would at least try to do something, even it wont work!

This type of disaster control isn't really Blue's forte either...

Though with your permission, I might be able to try stunting or using gadgets to come up with some sort of create object effect: A net made of solid and pure static electricity arcing between to street lamps that might help catch the plane. Would that even work? Would there be any applicable flaws or extras that might need to be used? Should could 'tap in' to the power in the street lamps via gadgets or something. I'll wait for suggestions before I actually type anything up.

Though it might look something like,

Create Object X ("Static Net"; Flaws: Limited to Localized Electronic Sources [point A, point B])

or something along those lines.

If she power stunts off her gadgets she has 7pp to spend on the following:

Create Object 12 ("Static Net"; Flaws: Permanent, Feedback; PF: Progression) [7pp]

If it's meant to "Support Weight" it is treated as having a STR score of 5x it's rank. (12*5=60) STR 60 Heavy Load is 50 tons. A net like that should be able to support the weight of the plane.

It's Permanent because it's "Hard Light" It's an actually created item. It'll need to be taken down after it catches the plane. It's got feedback because she's using her suit to power the structure. She's wired into the netting itself. If it suffers damage, her suit is going to feel the backlash.

Is any of this allowable?

Problem with a create object like that created objects are basically solid so the plane would be slamming into a Toughness 12 wall. Supercape made like a ramp/landing strip for it to settle on. What you're describing seems more like a limited move object. You could also go with like a drain kinetic energy effect if you could justify descriptors for it.

The other issue is that stunting off variables is not allowed IIRC so the stunt would have to be off another power. Maybe off the enhanced intelligence or quickness to represent on the fly gagetry/mcguyvering Doks done that a few times before.

Either her Int or her Quickness would produce a similar power, it's just 6pp rather than 7pp. Would, "A Net designed to catch or slow the plane's descent" be an appropriate descriptor for any of the above? Instead of using a giant hand like green lantern, it's just a glowing blue cargo net formed from electric technojiggery...

I could even say the static electric nature of the net means that it can only stop metallic objects...

Move Object 12 ("Static Cargo Net"; Flaws: Limited to Objects, Distracting) [6pp]

Or

Drain Kinetic Energy 12 ("Static Cargo Net"; Extras: Area/Burst, Range/Ranged; Flaws: Limited to Metal Objects [-2], Distracting) [6pp]

Which do you think would be most apropos to use?

Alright group effort managed to keep the plane form colliding with the building. You all get a HP for the obscure fiat. We'll call it an all senses obscure the danger jet has very complete Electronic countermeasures. well that and the extra dimensional fluxuations still running rampant in this area of spacetime.