She carefully feed the small piece of flesh to Nora, making sure that Nora couldn’t make any kind of grab for her.

“So does this master have a… no wait… What’s your name Nora, your real name, who were you before this Master came along?â€

Try as she might she couldn’t help but feel for this poor woman, even if she was a killer a monster. Once she was a human being and Lucy could only hope that there was enough of that person still her worth saving.

If Nora was a lost cause what did that make her? Neither of them was human anymore.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

“So does this master have a… no wait… What’s your name Nora, your real name, who were you before this Master came along?â€

"Hahahaha!" laughed Nora, gorging herself on Revenant. "My name? My name? All those many years ago? Hahahaha!" she actually started choking on her meal, unsure if she should eat or laugh or both.

"My name was Nora!" she concluded in a fit of laughter. "Nora Nora Nora! the beauty of it! He wouldn't change that...he wouldn't need to? was it a cruelty? a kindness? haha! perhaps both, I have had so long to think about it, and it drives you mad...mad! yes, yes, keeping that little bit of what I was, my name!"

“He’s not exactly a caring father is he? When I first woke up this… condition of mine, of us, nearly drove me mad. It took one person, a hero, to set me on the right path.â€

She look at Nora, calmer now more normal, and there was a brief spark of hope that Nora could still be saved.

“It’s not late Nora you don’t have to be like this, you don’t have to listen to what this Master tells you. With a little help you could return to an almost normal life. Instead of living like some animal scrabbling to survive from day to day.â€

GM

“It’s not late Nora you don’t have to be like this, you don’t have to listen to what this Master tells you. With a little help you could return to an almost normal life. Instead of living like some animal scrabbling to survive from day to day.â€

"I don't?"

The mere idea never seemed to have even occured to Nora. A ruby red tear fell from each eye.

"I've been so hungry, hungry! blood...blood! its everywhere...my life is a waking dream, always dreaming of blood in my head...the pounding. "

She looked straight through Revenant.

"I can feel it. Moving through like a pump. Bum...Bumm....BUMMM!" she yelped.

"And he feeds me, my dear, he keeps me safe..."

But a note of doubt had crept into Nora's voice....

Lucy dipped her head and she looked genuinely sad at Nora’s statements.

“I’m not sure if you’d remember but there were always the odd Gentleman who would find some poor weak willed girl and keep her plied with cheap gin to keep her compliant."

“That what this Master is doing to you. He doesn’t care about you, he just want to control you keep you compliant." There was now a note of anger in her voice.

“You don’t have to be like this. There are people who can help you, I can help you, throw off this addiction and become you person you want to be.â€

GM

“You don’t have to be like this. There are people who can help you, I can help you, throw off this addiction and become you person you want to be.â€

"I don't believe you can..." said Nora, picking out a strand of Revenants flesh from her teeth and then throwing it back in her maw. Her eyes looked greedy for more as she scrutinised Revenant.

"...no, I don't rightly believe it. I'm stuck like this, and I been stuck so long, I don't even know what I would do if I wasn't bloody Nora. It's my way now, after so many years. I don't know what I want to be...except not hungry no more"

She rubbed her stomach. "I can't remember a time I ain't be hungry. Even as a girl. 'not right..." she said, shaking her head at the horror of it all. "That's the only way I'd like to be fixed right, but I don't reckon there's no fixin' for me, blood on me hands!"

“I remember those times; we’re probably one of the few who do remember them. I don’t think there are many alive in this country who knows what it means to be truly hungry.†Lucy looked wistfully for a few moments.

“But that doesn’t mean we have to act like those day long gone. Too much harm was done to feed the needs and wants of people.†She absent mindedly rubbed the scar on her forehead.

“You can decide to stop being Bloody Nora, and become just Nora, so make up for the blood by your deeds. But I can’t make the choice, neither can your Master, it’s all up to you.†She gave a friendly little smile.

“But I’ll help as much as I can, if my blood and flesh will cure your hunger I’ll freely give it.â€

GM

“But I’ll help as much as I can, if my blood and flesh will cure your hunger I’ll freely give it.â€

Nora's ragged eyebrows raised in astonishment at Revenant's offer.

"You will?" she asked, her voice half a croak and half a scream, and riddled with surprise.

"If I can just stop the hunger..." she moaned "that's all I ever wanted...but where will I stay? I have been hunted. And folks will hunt me still, Bloody Nora is not welcome anywhere... the gutters, the sewers, in the old buildings like this. Sometimes I make deals, like with Steven, a place to stay for...jobs...and the Jobs are as bloody as my name..."

Her mom always use to joke about little Lucy bring home all the local strays. She seemed to have a knack for collecting around her others who needed her. She guessed she was here because she cared a little too much.

She wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I’ll find you somewhere, and eventually a job. I’ve got this number for an expert, a Necromancer, we can go and she him see if he can help.â€

She was beginning to think, hope against hope, that Nora could be helped. Maybe she should take her off of the meat hook now?

GM

"A nec-ro-man-cer?" mouthed Nora, who evidently was not the most educated of creatures. In fairness, it appeared her brain had been addled by decades of her pitiful existence. She was like a fox: she had some cunning, but less intelligence.

The way she mouthed "man" indicated that she was not particularly fond of the less fair sex, either. In fairness, she did not seem particular fond of either sex.

"You speak in fancy words with a silver tounge for Nora!" she concluded "you torture me with hopes! tell me what you know? who is the Necro man?" she said, steely determination in her voice. She was scared of believing, but wanted to despite herself.

Lucy noticed Nora discomfort and felt a little guilty, it was obvious that her caring master had kept her wild and feral to better keep her under control. She was determined not to treat Nora the same way.

“Sorry Nora sometimes I forget that this is as new to you as it is to me. He is someone who understand the way of our kind those who died but won’t remain dead.â€

She hoped she sounded as guilty as she felt.

“I’m going to be honest with you Nora, I don’t have the answers to your questions but there a big city out there and I’m willing to help you find the people who can give you the answers.â€

GM

“I’m going to be honest with you Nora, I don’t have the answers to your questions but there a big city out there and I’m willing to help you find the people who can give you the answers.â€

Nora actually looked crestfallen. "I knew it was too good to be true..." she moaned with a sigh that sounded like the gas escaping from a punctured, bloated corpse.

"But...if there is a chance...?" she said, looking up. "Nora can't ignore it. Although if you cross me..." she bared her bloody teeth.

"I'll feed on your pretty little bones forever!" she croaked vehemently.

“Nora if I personally let you down I’d make the first cut and feed you the first bones. Talking of letting you down.â€

Dragging over and standing on a chair Lucy carefully as she could lifted Nora off of the hook and gently lowered her to the ground.

She felt in her pocket and found the number Silhouette had given her months ago, she hope this Nick Cimitere guy was willing to, could in fact, help poor Nora in some way.

“Let’s go find a telephone and give this Necromancer a call. I just hope we find one with a rotary dial.â€

It had been a slow night thus far for Nick Cimitiere. His tour of the city over the past few nights had revealed few ghosts demanding vengeance; there had been a few cases where he'd had to deliver messages for those who'd died unexpectedly, but nothing that required proper restitution against murderers and other scum suckers. Word from the parlors of the Deathlords was relatively thin, and the ghosts he'd run into hadn't run into any general upset in the world of the dead. So he was spending a quiet night conversing with the tenants of Lantern Hill Cemetery when his cell phone rang. He pulled it out and studied the number - unfamiliar. It wasn't one of the other Parkhurst trust, or Equinox, or Silhouette. Putting his trust in the fact that there probably wasn't some ghost girl willing to pounce a curse on him over the line - probably - he answered.

"You've reached Nick Cimitiere," he said. "May I ask who's calling?"

How exactly do you explain a situation like Nora? She was still getting her head around the whole issue. Lucy decided to for the direct approach.

“Hello there my name is Lucy Harker. You wouldn’t have heard of me a hero called Silhouette gave me your number and said you could help me.†She drew an unnecessary breath to gather her thoughts “I’m un-dead, but that’s not the problem. I have someone here who in a similar but a much worst situation. I wondered if you can have a look at her and see if you could help.â€

She gave poor Nora a reassuring smile.

"Ah, yeah," said Nick, who'd given Silhouette his number after the incident with Marinette. "I can see why she'd hand it out in a circumstance like this." He was curious as to what kind of undead Lucy was - seemed like many on the other side of the veil were getting active in the hero game these days - but as she said, that wasn't exactly the problem at hand. He was more curious about who was in "a much worse situation." "So, this friend of yours - is she freshly dead, or veteran? Clear-headed and dealing with existential angst, or dealing with perception issues? Vampire, ghost, ghoul, revenant, jiang shi, or other?"

GM

"Wha?" said Nora, whose ears seemed to be sharper in death than in life.

"I'm a me!" she wailed, apparently angry with nobody in particular, or the whole miserable universe.

"I've been-a this way for decades! not alives' not deads! just inbetweened!"

She gave a gnashing of her teeth and a flailing of her arms to indicate her frustration at her very existence. "'E said this way would be better, I wouldn't starve to death. No, no starving, not cold, just hungry all the time!"

She was glad she had decided to get help from this man; he seemed to know exactly what he was talking about and wasn’t at all fazed by her direct approach.

“Heh that would be Nora or Bloody Nora as the old tales use to call her.†Despite herself she gave a little nervous laugh “She defiantly not a revenant nor exactly any of the others, it’s a little more complicated. She’s a little feral I had to erm subdue her before I could get any sense from her. She was some kind of experiment, possibly from a vampire her master, but it seems she didn’t come out right. All she seems to do, as you can hear, is hunger.â€

Nick definitely heard the shrieking of the unclassifiable undead in the background, and sat through Lucy's explanation. "Yeah, she's definitely in a between state," he said. "That's odd. I've mainly run into vampirism as a binary - you either are, or you're not. I mean, there are a few rare cases in folklore like dhampir, where you've got a mortal who inherits traits from a vampiric parent, but they don't often come with a ravaging hunger. It may be that the sire in this case started with a loose template, someone who wasn't entirely... there at creation. There's a number things that might have done that - catatonia in the subject, working from a corpse whose soul was in the process of moving on, not going all the way in the creative process..."

Lucy listened intently to Nick’s explanation, trying to comprehend everything his was telling her.

“The way Nora tells it the between state is deliberate, whoever created her wanted to create someone with all the abilities of a vampire but none of disadvantages. I guess it didn’t work as he planned.â€

She wasn’t quite ready to tell him about the rest of Nora claims, that she was the successful results of these experiments.

“I hope I don’t sound stupid, all this mystic stuff is still new to me, but if she’s between states does that mean we can nudge her into one of the other states?†mostly for Nora she gave a determined look “I promised her I’d help with her condition and I don’t plan to let her down.â€

GM

“I promised her I’d help with her condition and I don’t plan to let her down.â€

Nora nodded emphatically.

"You better not!" she added, with emphasis and the gnashing of her teeth "You had better not let me down!" she repeated, almost shouting "I'll never forget!"

She calmed down a little after adding a few thrashing limbs to punctuate her mood. "So, what does poor Nora have to do for your nec-ro-man-cer?" she asked, almost politely. "And I hope to have a full stomach when I do it...." she said, eyeing up Revenant once more.

"Hmm," Nick said in response to Lucy's description. "It sounds like they were aiming for something like a dhampir - like with vampires, you get a whole lot of them, but they've mostly got a measure of vampiric power, the ability to walk about in the day, a minimal, if any, reliance on blood, and even some special abilities that screw vampires up. But those usually come about naturally; this sounds like it was foisted upon her." The idea of "mad necromancy" was both disturbing and appealing to Nick - he'd whipped up God only knew how many strange, improvised rituals, but something told him the people who'd do this weren't exactly bound by any sort of ethics.

"There's a chance I could tilt her over to whatever condition she prefers," Nick said. "A vague one, but still. I'll need to see her first, though, just so I know exactly what I'm dealing with."

Lucy gave a small smile “That’s a start, after all that’s all we can hope for.â€

She looked Nora up and down trying to imagine how someone “normal†would see her. Then again people in this city saw some pretty strange thing with breaking their stride. Still she didn’t quite trust Nora around people just yet. She really needed to learn to drive.

“I suspected we have to meet up with you personally at some point. Would it be easier if we came to you or would you prefer to come to us? We’re a little out of the way out at the old Fallowfield Hill Asylum.â€

Nick knew where Fallowfield Hill was; he'd done an exorcism job on the outskirts back when he was still apprenticing under Eldrich. "Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can," he said.

About fifteen minutes later, a black Chevy Impala pulled up to the decrepit driveway of the asylum. The car was bedecked on the hood - and the roof - and the sides with various glyphs done up in white paint. A man stepped out of the car, done up like a greaser in all black clothes. His face, however, was painted to resemble a skull, and took on something of the shape of one. He entered Fallowfield Hill through the front doors, picking up the traces of death from Lucy and her friend Nora. He kept his eyes out for the duo, his curiosity at its peak.

GM

"Is this the Nec-row-man-ser?" said Nora, eyeing up Nick suspiciously. Her eyes bulged and the sallow flesh seemed less anaemic. Revenant had had to keep her fed (courtesy of her regenerating flesh) at a careful pace...Nora was insatiable, but if fed enough she would at least not become crazed at the prospect of the whole Gourmet of Revenant in front of her.

"He looks....skinny..." she commented, ignoring the fact that her frame was little more than skin and bones.

"No tricksy stuff!" she warned, wagging her finger furiously at Nick "Or I'll gobble you up, even if you are on the skinny side!"