GM

The door opened a crack, and a man, who must have been around seventy, wearing glasses and a cardigan, peeked out.

"Yes, this is the Webb residence...William Webb...who is it?" he asked softly.

He looked Revenant up and down.

"And who might you be, madam? selling pepper pots and pencil sharpeners? come to tell me about the glorious revelations of God? I'm not interested, thank you. Not at my age. Not after what I have seen..."

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucy always had one flaw as a lawyer; she always had trouble lying to her clients. Especially if it was something important.

“Hello there I’m Lucy Harker. And I’m afraid I’ve nothing to sell or revelations to bring. Actually I’m here to find answers, and I hope you can help me?â€

She was charming and respectful in equal measures, but moved her foot gently to block the door closing, just in case.

“I believe that poor Winona, god rest her soul, knew something about Bloody Nora. Something so terrible she shut herself away for years. I’m here to find the truth and make sure people know what she went through, and that nobody has to go through this ever again.â€

She look hopeful at William hoping she had said enough to convince him.

“Hello there I’m Lucy Harker. And I’m afraid I’ve nothing to sell or revelations to bring. Actually I’m here to find answers, and I hope you can help me?â€

“I believe that poor Winona, god rest her soul, knew something about Bloody Nora. Something so terrible she shut herself away for years. I’m here to find the truth and make sure people know what she went through, and that nobody has to go through this ever again.â€

William Webb looked at Lucy with fear in his eyes. Not terror, not all consuming dread. It was, somehow, worse than that. It was the creeping fear, the fear that just frayed around the edges of the psyche. The fear that was disquiet, unease, and that set your spine on edge but not alight.

"Bloody Nora?" he asked. "That damn painting?" he shuddered. "Mother had it here tucked away for ages. Damn thing gave me the creeps. God, I remember seeing it as a child, it scared the hell out of me. She just seemed to, I don't know, look at you sometimes. Like you where here next meal".

He looked away, clearly unnerved by the whole recollection.

"I'm too old for this. My mother... was not well...at the end. Alzheimers disease, they said. Wasn't easy on her. Or me. "

He opened up a crystal bottle of brandy and poured himself one, taking a modest sip before offering his guest one too.

To be polite she accepted the drink from the poor man’s shaking hands.

She touched him gentle on the hand and gave him an encouraging little smile.

"I'm sorry to have to bring up, it must be very painful for you. And I wouldn't ask this if it's wasn't important.

I promise after this she won't bother you anymore, I'll make sure of that."

She let go of his hand and gave him a confident look.

"I just need a little more information about the painting. Did you mother keep a diary or journal?"

GM

"A Journal? well, I kept some stuff of hers. Here, let me show you..."

The old man lead Lucy upstairs. The rooms were antiquated, even slightly dusty. They had a slightly drab, but homely feel to it. Something about the house made the walls seem close and the roof low.

William pulled out an battered suitcase from a cupboard. "This was my mother's room. Nobody uses it now" he explained, as he opened up the suitcase. In it was an assortment of old documents and various memorabilia. After rummaging around he brought out an equally beaten old book.

"Her journal...I guess" he said, handing the book to Lucy.

Lucy took the book gingerly, feeling a little guilty at how excited she was to get hold of the book. She wondered, not for the last time, whether she was getting a little to focus on this Bloody Nora.

Well it my last chance to catch the big white whale. She had to supress a laugh at her own thoughts; at least she had a thin grasp on reality.

She looks kindly at the poor old man.

“This could take a while, and it is getting late. I’m happy to just sit here and read the journal, but if your happy to I’ll take it away to read.†She looked into his eyes giving a gentle look “I promise you I’ll return the journal as soon as I’m finished.â€

GM

William shrugged.

"Damn things gives me the creeps" he muttered. "Hell, the whole house gives me the creeps. I would sell up and move out of the city if I could get a good price for it. So it's up to you. I suppose I don't want to part with it completely, because it's still my mothers. "

He pushed the case back and sat down on the bed.

"As long as you promise to return it, that's fine. But, if you pardon my rudeness, you still haven't told me why you are interested in my mother and her journal? are you tracking down the family tree or something? Don't tell me you are a long lost relative!"

Ah the complicated questions, what was it that they say “Any good lie should contain the truthâ€.

She gave her best charming smile. “It seems your mother and my family were involved it some incident. Something that went unreported. I’m trying to find out exactly what happened.â€

She hugged the book to her body. “I promise you that no harm will come to this book. I’ll look after the book and you to the fullness of my capacity.â€

And another smile, more confident this time.

“And I am very capable indeed.â€

Well it was mostly the truth except for on tiny detail.

GM

William Webb smiled at Lucy "I kind of guess you are" he replied.

"Well, take it then. If you can find out anything be it sane or insane, then that's something good, I guess. Something creepy happened, I can feel it in my bones, young lady. I can feel it in my bones. "

He sighed.

"And now, I best get some sleep, I'm too old for this kind of excitement" he smiled weakly, as he started showing Lucy the door.

"Let me know what you dig up" he said, as they said farewell. "Well, unless you feel I'd be best of not knowing" he said, rather more seriously, his face nervous again.

She smiled at the old man; despite the circumstance of the meeting she really liked the old man.

“Don’t worry I’ll make sure to keep you informed or not depending on what I find.â€

Her mother always said she was to caring taking in waifs and strays to look after. Oh well another friend to keep an eye on, one more for Revenants menagerie.

Despite the nagging need to know she didn’t look at the journal on the way home; there were way you had to do these things. No she waited until she was home and in her favourite location to just sit and take in information.

Sitting on the roof outside her room she opened the journal to the first page, planning to spend the night reading the book.

GM

The Journal was full of mundane writings, but around 1950, when the venerable Ms. Webb was a young lady in the post war period, things started to get confused. Latin scribblings, odd diagrams.

And references to the painting.

"I swear it is looking at me - at night... It gives me the chills..."

"Put away painting, will never look at it again..."

"She feeds... she feeds...."

"Why does she look at me all the time, judging me?"

In addition, the Journal mentioned the painting's origin. It had been painted in 1920 or so, by an artist Felix Drum, during the depression era. The man had apparently gone insane and killed himself. Ms. Webb had found the painting in the house...

Which had belonged to Mr. Drum!

Apart from the whole helping people in trouble this is what she was looking for when she tried to transfer over to criminal law. Putting together all those little clues to work out what really going on.

And she was almost there.

The other things she learned was that if you wanted to find something ask an expert. She stood to a cascade of early morning dew and went back inside.

She had to carefully dial the number on the card, telephone number were a lot simpler in her day, she missed the operators.

“Hello Rene… Yes I’m sorry it’s so early I’m an early riser… How about I make up for it and buy you breakfast and you can tell me everything you know about the artist Felix Drum.â€

“Hello Rene… Yes I’m sorry it’s so early I’m an early riser… How about I make up for it and buy you breakfast and you can tell me everything you know about the artist Felix Drum.â€

"Yes yes, what is it, speak up! I'm an old man, I don't hear so well these days..." replied Rene, blearily. What the hell good was being an old man if he couldn't sleep whenever he felt like it?

He was even more irritable than normal - or rather, he was actually irritated, rather than merely pretending to be. He had nodded off, exhausted, after dealing with that teenage "goth" and confiscating the rather dangerous tome he had somehow acquired. The poor guy had been terrified after Rene told him what it could actually do.

Still, breakfast was breakfast.

"Felix Drum? Sorry, my memory is foggy these days... I'll have a look. Where is breakfast?"

Lucy bit her lip and actually felt a little guilty at waking the old man, she'd simply forgot the time in the excitement.

“If it helps he was active in the 1920’s, so it was probably before your time.†though she mused not mine, what she was 23 back then?

So where did you take a curmudgeon of a Frenchman for breakfast?

“Like I said last night Rene I’m still a little new in this City, so why don’t you pick a spot and I’ll pay?†she hope he didn’t have expensive tastes. Did they still allow people to wash dishes to pay?

Later, at Aliments Avenir...

"Ah, monsieur Rene!" said Monsieur Verdoux, all smiles. "My favourite customer! and who is ze beautiful woman by your side? you old devil, you!" he added with a wink.

Rene tutted and feigned indignation. "Never you mind, that, you rascal. Ze beautiful lady is Lucy Haw-kerr, and I am having a breakfast with her..."

"Ah but of course, come and eat! coffee? wine?"

"A bit early in the day for me, Monsieur..." replied Rene. Monsieur Verdoux was an expert wine taster, although Rene suspected he might be a little too fond of the grape at times.

Rene pulled up a chair at a side table, and sat down, grumbling about his bones as he did.

"A black coffee, and croissants, merci" he ordered.

Turning back to Lucy, he brought out a small dusty book, and blew the dust off, some of it landing on Lucy. Rene coughed slightly, and pretended not to notice his gaffe.

"Damn eyes..." hemuttered, as an excuse, before putting on his reading glasses.

"Felix Drum... not much known about him. I was in Paris during the 1920's, didn't hear much about damn colonial art, bunch of philistines. Went insane, according to this book on art at the time. Drew rather bleak pictures, very morbid, blood and guts stuff. Got a meagre salary drawing pictures for pulp magazines. "

“Har-ker†she corrected automatically “I’ll have the same please Monsieur.â€

Catching up with his last comment she looked at the old man strangely; he was just full of surprises. Then again so was she.

“I hear Paris is a wonderful city. My brother talked of it often in his letters; he was stationed there during the War before being sent to the Western front.†She paused for minute lost in her thoughts of her long gone family.

She pulled the journal from her purse “Sorry I got a little side-tracked there. I managed to track this down.†She put the Journal down in front of Rene. “The poor woman was the owner of the painting I saw last night.â€

She stood behind him, flicking through the pages until she found the pages with the strange scribbling’s. She lean down and pointed to the relevant passages.

“Say’s here she found Bloody Nora in his home. And his unfortunately end. I’m beginning to think the two are linked, as crazy as that sound.â€

Aw hell, in for a penny…

“Look this may sound crazy, even I think it sound crazy. But I think that the painting is linked to the real Bloody Nora. And I need, for my peace of mind, need to know if that was true.â€

Taking a deep breath, she slid back into her seat.

“I’d understand if you wanted to leave right now, walk away from the crazy lady. But if not I would appreciate any help you could give.†she managed a weak smile.

“I’d understand if you wanted to leave right now, walk away from the crazy lady. But if not I would appreciate any help you could give.†she managed a weak smile.

"You seem to be on to something, madam" said Rene, taking a messy bite out of a Criossant and supping some coffee.

"But I am too old to be of much help...I'm exhausted...I was up all night sorting out some idiot with a book he should not have had...but that's another story..."

He was mumbling a bit. The truth was, he was old, and he was tired. The coffee was helping, but he knew he couldn't keep up with the seemingly endless energy of Lucy. She looked fresh as a diasy.

Hmm, maybe "fresh" wasn't exactly the right word...

"As for whom the real Bloody Nora was, I have no idea..." he answered. "Its a phrase, English, used to be more in fashion than these days. It means 'Bloody Horror' I think. But maybe there was a real Nora, and she was bloody..."

"And my dear, I have seen enough in my many years to know crazy from astute. And you seem to be ze latter..." he added, with a raised eyebrow peeking over his mug as he finished off his coffee.

She slumped in relief at the kind old man assurance of her sanity.

“Don’t worry Sancho I’m not planning to bring you along whilst I tilt at windmills.†She laughed at her own bad joke, a little too long perhaps.

“My life since I returned to the city has been complicated. Things have changed rapidly, it's like I woke up after 80 years asleep†which was a version of the truth

“I fancy a nice breakfast with, I hope, my new friend. Then maybe later you can find me the address of the old home of this poor artist.†She relaxed give him a friendly, yet hopeful look “I fancy a few perfect moments of normalcy in this crazy city.â€

"Tracking down where he lived? sounds like a boring day ruffling through dusty tomes in some hall or something..." replied Rene dryly.

"...something for a lawyer, or equally dull profession, I should guess" he continued, as he sat back and wiped pastry of his goatee. He yawned.

"Not sure I can help you there, Madam. But tell me, what did you find at that address, after ze party? How does Monsieur Drum fit in all of this?"

So much for normality.

“That right Monsieur, what was I thinking? Though I think your missing something with this ‘dry’ research. The thrill of the chase, the wonder of discovery…†Her delivery was as dry a Rene

“As for my what I found out. It’s all here it Mrs Winona Webb journal.â€

She tapped the open pages in front of them.

“As a carefree young youth she ah… borrowed the painting of Bloody Nora from the painters house. One Felix Dunn. It seems the painting was unnerving them both.â€

“I’m not an expert on magic but I think the painting is linked to the person, like that Oscar Wilde book. Maybe by hiding away that painting Mrs Webb saved peoples lives.â€

"Its...possible" said Rene, who had done similar things himself to creatures from beyond this realm.

"Paintings, they can be infused with the spirit of ze subject. In whole, or in part. They can be eyes, they can be ears, they can be homes, prisons, doorways, and much more...It is impossible to say..."

He ordered the bill, paying for it himself, although Monsieur Verdoux insisted it was "on ze house!"

"Well, ze painting was made, when, in 1920, 1930 or so? do we have an exact date? around the time of ze great depression, maybe. People went very hungry round then, lots of people moving, getting lost...the perfect time for our Bloody Nora to go eating people. "

Even Rene shuddered at the thought of that.

"But maybe you will find something out about that with your...exciting..research" he said smiling slightly with a cough and a twinkle in his eye.

"Just be careful" he added, with more sobriety. "I don't want you ending up dead".

“You Monsieur are much more than just a painter. I’m beginning to value your council as well, you truly wise beyond your years.â€

She stood up, her breakfast untouched.

She put on her sternest most serious face “Death is something I plan on having nothing to do with, well not twice anyway.â€

She gently touched his hands as pale and cold as hers were.

Lucy face brightening taking a more playful tone “Besides I still owe you breakfast, and you still owe me a dress.â€

She turned towards Monsieur Verdoux “You have the most wonderful of restaurant, I’ll be sure to visit you again. You both make me feel so young!â€

"And goodbye to you, to Madam!" replied Rene, with an arched eyebrow.

Death is something I plan on having nothing to do with, well not twice anyway.

He chuckled to himself as Lucy left.

"It really is a funny old world, as ze English would say..." he remarked to himself, helping himself to Lucy's breakfast.

It sounded like the woman could indeed take care of her business. And he had an inkling Nora preferred flesh with some blood in it, from her name and the painting. Lucy, he guessed, would not make a tasty morsel.

Another day another trip to the library. At this rate she’d have to get herself an Intern. Then again she’d have to get Kapalini some kind of job, for an ex-spirit she eat like a horse.

Rene always seemed to put her in the good mood, well the two times they had met, so she travelled the streets of Freedom City with a spring in her step.

Today May got the luck pat; she must have upset May, because after a couple of hour searching she found that Drum use to own the Webb house. Feeling a little stupid she concentrating on any other information she could find out about his holdings and his unfortunate fate.