The Vines that Bind (IC)

Breella

August 6th 9:30am

Gwen walked into the gym. Her hair was braided tightly down her head in thick french braids that cascaded down her back to mid length. She wore a dark green and black sports bra and a pair of matching cycling style sport shorts. Green and black cross training shoes donned her feet with white ankle socks peeking just above the shoe. She put her bookbag down in the corner and began to stretch out on the blue mats. Thankfully no one was here yet, she had hoped to arrive before Vicky and get in some yoga. Fun? the vines asked. I hope. We're going to pretend fight with Vicky. Gwen stretched out her toes and leaned forward to stretch her back.

Pretend to fight? they inquired, the idea seeming odd to them. Yes, pretend. She's going to show us how we can work together better to take down bad guys. The vines pondered this for a moment. But will be fun? A smile passed over Gwen's face as she switched to a standing position, feet apart letting her arms fall to the floor in front of her. Yes, it will be fun. Gwen continued to stretch out as she waited for Vicky to arrive. She stood back up putting her left arm above her head, bending at the elbow and switched. Hand behind elbow she pulled each in front of her before she finally laid out and began a few push-ups.

Vicky appeared in a plume of crimson and white smoke a few feet over the blue mats in the school's gym, maybe two yards to Gwen's left. Landing in roll she sprang to her bare feet dressed in her purple tank and baggy black pants. "Hey Gwen," the teleporter greeted as she pulled her long white hair back into a loose ponytail, "Hope I'm not late. Leave it to a teleporter to be late for nearly everything."

She tossed her gym bag off the mats and a few feet to the side of Gwen's bag before beginning her own stretches. "Nice training ensemble," she complimented her opponent for the afternoon.

Gwen was startled but didn't loose her grip on the mats as the girl appeared out of thin air. "Rapid growth, rune magic, heck even FLLYING I'm not freaked out by-- but EVERY time you do that I feel like I'm jumping out of my skin." No, we jump out of skin. the vines showed Gwen in image of them branching out. You no jump out of own skin. That bad. Gwen groaned and pushed herself off the floor and onto her butt. "It's a figure of speech." Gwen said out loud, pointing to the vines as if to indicate whom she directed that to. She started stretching out her calf muscles and looked at Vicky. "Thanks, I got it on ebay. Brand new too."

"Sorry. I'm starting to feel like that Honduran butler from Mr. Deeds now," Vicky said. "Maybe some you should do a ride along sometime like what Jeena and you are doing with your vines. I can assure you, nobody who's ever come along has ever been hurt. ...Well, there was this guy who tried to mug me over in the West End a couple months back but that was less him being hurt by a 'jump' as gravity when I dropped him into a dumpster and slammed the lid on him."

Her eyes sparkled as an idea came to her, "Or, we can make this interesting. If I can get you in a pin for a three-count, we'll go for a little ride. If you can pin me..., well, pick your prize."

Gwen's face paled as she thought about how likely both her loss was and how she's probably puke after 'going for a ride'. "I don't have much experience with this kind of thing, but..." Gwen held up a finger for a moment and seemed to be thinking. Do you think we can do it?Gwen asked the vines.

Competition?

Friendly competition yes.

Go for a ride if lose?

Yes.

We can try to win.

Gwen smiled at Vicky. "The vines are game, so lets give it a go." Gwen thought about it for a moment, what would she want if she won? An idea hit her. "If I win, you make this a weekly thing?" Gwen rolled up on the balls of her feet and bent into positions that should have been yoga stances, or maybe Zumba stretches.

Vicky smiled as she finished her pre-workout stretching, "Heck, I'd have done that anyway. How 'bout when you find the right guy or girl, Morgan and I cover your half of a double date?" She then then pulled her hair back and secured it with a purple hair tie to keep it out of her eyes during their match. This, she knew, would also make her hair an obvious target in a real match but this was just a friendly bout with incentives so she wasn't really worried about Gwen fighting dirty. Sliding into an easy stance, she made a little 'come on', gesture with her right hand.

Gwen had a momentary flash about Brian, she had agreed to go out with him again, might as well make it a freebie. "If I win you'll pay for my half of a double date hua?" Gwen made a show of the idea and then smiled at the thought. The vines made kissing noises in her head as she thought about Brian, she made a mental note to cut down on their television time. Get ready! Gwen warned them. She took up a stance she had learned from the aboriginals in Australia and charged at Vicky. The vines shot out and wrapped the girl up, hands at waist and held her in the air. "Oops" Gwen said, while admiring her handiwork.

The vines wrapped around Vicky's wrists, locking her arms to her side. With a grunt of effort however, she managed to loosen their grip on her so she could slip down to the mat where she rolled down forward and sprang towards her opponent. With an outstretched arm she tried to grab one of the redhead's arms but she nimbly set-stepped the teleporter and let the girl go sailing past. "Not bad, Gwen. Not bad at all," she complimented the chloropath. "I have to ask, how much training have you done before coming here?"

As Gwen sidestepped Vicky she answered. "Not much." Gwen turned on her heal to face her opponent who had sailed behind her and took a left foot forward stance, eyes locked on Vicky. Let me try this. she told the vines. "I have watched a lot of people practice, I've had a handful of lessons with martial fighters in the towns I have worked with." Gwen rushed Vicky for a grab but slid past the girl, just missing her. "I've done a lot of 'farm' work though, planting and tending fields, working in dense jungles, forests and other areas."

"So, you've got a knack for it. Very good. My wrestling experience is mostly in Samooborona Bez Oruzhiya," Vicky said. "It's a Russian martial art my mother taught me the basics of. I'm only a third Yunosheskiy Razryad, I think the belt-color equivalent in karate would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a green belt."

With her commentary done for the moment, she launched herself forward into a roll that ended in a handspring where she grabbed Gwen's wrist and brought it around her back. Not wanting to hurt her friend she didn't apply much pressure but she did hold it enough to keep it in place.

"I know next to nothing about martial arts in any country. Most of the farmers I helped are just strong men and women." Gwen struggled to come free, she even almost had it, but Vicky's grip on her wrist was pretty tight. "I guess I really do need this practice." She said as she started to take a stance to throw Vicky over her shoulder. Gwen was just too short in this case and couldn't get her hip in the right spot. Her attempt to throw Vicky ended with the girls side by side on the floor with Vicky still pinning Gwen's arm.

Vicky swung a leg over Gwen and straddled her, keeping her just pinned enough to remove a possibility for escape. "Only a little. I think with the right training, you'd be a terror on the battlefield. Especially if your vines are a heck of a lot stronger than they look, though they look pretty strong already."

As she held her position an idea crossed her mind and she smirked slightly. "Boy, if Morgan, Brian, or Zach walked in on this, I think they'd die of extreme nasal exsanguination. So, I gotta ask, how's things going with those last two boys?"

"They are capable of lifting quite a bit but I have never really tested their limits." the pinned girl replied, rocking her body gently to test which way she should chuck Vicky off of her. She listened to Vicky continue to talk and Gwen laughed at the thought of the boys walking in. "Yeah, that would be priceless wouldn't it?" Gwen sighed. Since the episode while building the greenhouse things had been... strained was the nice way to say it. Well, I do not think they will bring each other pizza and soda anytime soon--but I think they may salvage a working friendship." the obvious reference to Gwen and the boys going over the girls head.

"That would be good, though I do expect if you end up going out with one of them, the other is going to sulk for a while," Victoria said, resettling her weight to better hold Gwen in place on the blue training mat. "This isn't hurting you is it? I'm trying my hardest but I have this horrible fear that my control will slip. I mean, you saw me lift that dumpster full of gravel the other day...," she stated, letting her tone and the memory finish the sentence for her.

Keeping the chloropath still, she counted slowly aloud, "One... Two... Thr-"

• 2 weeks later...

Gwen broke the hold and rolled away from Vicky. She opened her mouth, closed it and then said "Relationships are so complicated, it makes leaving harder." Gwen got to her feet and took up a stance again. "What if I have to go? I can't get into a serious relationship with someone." She shrugged "It's much easier to just do whatever feels right without titles." She bounced side to side on the ball of her bare feet, ready to rush Vicky again. "Sorry, that was totally random wasn't it?"