New Marvel Comics RPG

New Marvel Comics RPG Games Announced By Margaret Weis Productions

Today in the Indiana Ballroom of the Marriott during GenCon, the team at Margaret Weis Productions revealed their secret identity as the new inheritors of the Marvel Universe RPG license.

The license begins in February of 2012 with sixteen books planned for the first year. The game will based based around event books – the first of which will be Civil War - each with a premium and essential edition supported by three supplements (or accessories) each provided in a similar format to Marvel's own trade paperbacks. The system will be MWP's own Cortex Plus and MWP's own Margaret Weis stated that the game should only require five to ten minutes to teach. The events will be tailored to pre-generated Marvel characters featured in the original Marvel releases, but original characters created by players are also an option.

Margaret Weis Publications plans sixteen books for the new line beginning in February of 2012.

Margaret Weis Productions had made RPGs based on Battlestar Galactica, Firefly/Serenity, Leverage, Smallville, and Supernatural.

I have the BSG game. It's alright. Nothing to write home about. I wouldn't say it "only takes 5-10 minutes to learn," though.

I wonder why Marvel's concentrating so much on pre-gens. Their upcoming MMO is the same deal: You don't create your own characters. You play as the established Marvel heroes.

Sixteen books coming out in the first year? Flooding the market much? Did they learn nothing from TSR?

The game will based based around event books – the first of which will be Civil War

Because Marvel fans just loved the Civil War storyline so much. Now instead of debating it on Internet forums, they can debate it in the realm of combat!

• 6 months later...

10 XP when you choose to let the hero lead the team or force them to resign or step down from the team.

10 XP when you either convince one or more former Avengers to reform the team, or to disband it.

Oh my God. Cap has mechanics for shaming other heroes. I don't know if that's genius or insane.