If you build it... (IC)

Breella

He looked toward Brian with a frown. He at least seemed to realize he'd made a mistake. Corbin took a couple more large bites, finishing off this slice, before grabbing a piece of cheese pizza and a piece of pepperoni, putting them on a plate, and walking over to Brian as he worked. He offered the other teen the plate.

"Here. Probably bad to go too long without eating when you have to burn that energy yourself, rather than using a nifty shortcut like me."

His tone wasn't quite friendly, but it wasn't chastising, either.

"Sorry I bellowed. Not sorry I intervened, but sorry I bellowed. For what it's worth, I understand, at least a bit, that you'd get upset right then. Just chalk it up as something to avoid for the future, hm?"

Brian was startled out of his angry reverie by Corbin's pizza delivery. He took the food and punched on the pizza, careful not to burn himself on the hot food. "Thanks. I'm just so damn mad at Zach right now. She was doing fine until he got her all... overexcited." He took a seat next to the skeletal framework of the greenhouse, munching on the food. "Thanks for the pie, though."

"S'ok, Gwen's alright! She's a bit dizzy, but otherwise just hungry and thirsty as heck; I'm bringing this stuff back for her. Lessee, what else...oh yeah, she says find the caulk guns and put the windows in! Vicky, if you want to grab a couple slices for yourself, Gwen wants to see you too."

The food was reminding Brian just how hungry he was, and he scarfed it down faster than was strictly necessary. He was sitting in the sun, enjoying the break (and waiting for Zach to leave the food table so he could grab a drink) when Morgan reappeared. He relaxed when his roomie confirmed that Gwen was doing fine. The young man closed his eyes and tiled his head back against the plastic supports; suddenly, everything was right with the world again.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Two months? Try like two days. And I don't know," He motioned with his free hand between himself and his sister, "We're just not really sure how it 'works' here yet."

Cole nodded after giving the boy a quick glance. Whatever had caused their little grouchy spat certainly seemed to be clinging amongst some of them. "Yeah, I have that same problem. Lots of things seem so bizarre and confusing. Weird," he said with a shrug of one shoulder. "A plant controller? I haven't met her either. Definitely need to get out more. I'm sure she'll be fine though," he said after swallowing a bite.

He quirked an eyebrow at Jeena. "I hope your future cave has working plumbing and power...'cause I don't see that as too comfortable without them. Once in a while camping, sure...but I'm definitely into the power technologies and amenities," he said with a smile. "Sorry, fashion stuff makes little to no sense either. I'll stick with my nice comfy air conditioned workshop with its tools and power, thanks. I hope you enjoy your spelunking just to get inside though."

He looked over at the 'work in progress' curiously. "So...a greenhouse. Um, not that I want to seem rude or uncomplimentary, but are there are architectural plans and has anyone here actually built something like this before?"

With Corbin so close by, Jeena felt the need to explain her earlier behavior. "I want to, uh, apologize to you, Corbin, for what I did earlier; I didn't know you were in a relationship and it wasn't appropriate."

Corbin shrugged.

"No harm no foul, Jeena. I suppose I should be flattered, but I mostly just don't mind. I mean, you didn't do anything really untoward. Trust me. I've had girls throw themselves at me. What you did? That was just you trying to get a read on me. And for what it's worth, I'm sorry if me being unavailable is...distressing? Whatever word fits. I mean...crap. You know what, I'll just leave it there. I hope we can end up friends, at least."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian was startled out of his angry reverie by Corbin's pizza delivery. He took the food and punched on the pizza, careful not to burn himself on the hot food. "Thanks. I'm just so damn mad at Zach right now. She was doing fine until he got her all... overexcited." He took a seat next to the skeletal framework of the greenhouse, munching on the food. "Thanks for the pie, though."

"I suppose I can understand. Trust me when I say you need to control the anger. Guys like us...that's just how it is.

One other piece of advice: Don't get too territorial if you guys haven't been dating long. Gwen's a friendly girl by nature. She's going to have guys who are friends. Nothing wrong with making it clear you and she are going out. But until and unless you've really established yourselves, it might scare her off."

He shrugged.

"Just thinking out loud, though. I don't know how well you could model the relationship Quo-Dis and I have to most people. She's...well, she's one-of-a-kind, for sure."

He gave a goofy smile at that statement before wandering back for food...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That comment made Zach smile. "You're right! I'm going to show this thing who's boss!" He said after putting the cup of soda back on the table. He began blowing fiercely on the slice. Before he took another bite he addressed Corbin, "Sorry if it seems I wasn't listening to you. But Brian's the one that grabbed me." under his breath he added, "Though I can't say I wasn't at least thinking of doing the same after he practically shoved me out of the way when trying to help Gwen," before continuing in a normal voice, "I just thought that going to work right next to him after that might not be the best idea. I'm afraid he'll say something that's just going to get me angry." Zach shook his head. It was a messy situation. He'd sooner be done with the whole thing. Too bad he couldn't just drop his affections for Gwen. "I'll get back to it as soon as I'm done eating. Maybe put up those windows Crow mentioned."

Corbin gave Zach an unreadable look.

"You notice I chastised you both. There's a reason for that, Zach.

And yeah, working on the windows is probably a good idea."

Corbin went back to finishing his pizza, before tossing his plate in the handy trash bin, wiping his hands on a napkin, and walking over to Cole with a friendly smile on his face.

"Hey there. I'm Corbin Hughes.Sorry I missed you earlier. Been a bit...hectic...today. Feel free to pitch in when we all get back to it, but thankfully we're not strapped for help. Still, nice of you to drop by."

"Yeah, I have that same problem. Lots of things seem so bizarre and confusing. Weird," he said with a shrug of one shoulder.

This statement made Jeena's ears prick up a bit; a fellow outsider? Between Cole and John, there seemed to be two possible choices for her...assuming, of course, she found the time for any sort of relationship. As always, their first obligation was to going home. Silly how she had to remind herself from time to time! She was also relived there seemed to be no hard feelings between her and Corbin, which was a huge relief.

"I hope your future cave has working plumbing and power...'cause I don't see that as too comfortable without them. Once in a while camping, sure...but I'm definitely into the power technologies and amenities," he said with a smile. "Sorry, fashion stuff makes little to no sense either. I'll stick with my nice comfy air conditioned workshop with its tools and power, thanks. I hope you enjoy your spelunking just to get inside though."

The twins had read up on caves and 'spelunking' when they first arrived as they were starting to master the English language and basic American customs; it seemed many humans had limited experience with life below ground, with the notable exception of the World Wars. Reading about these conflicts stirred up powerful resonances with Jeena, who felt a certain kinship with the humans of that era; the Tommies, doughboys and poilus in their trenches and dugouts, the citizens of London huddled in Tube stations during the Blitz, the brave and desperate Soviet soldiers in the sewers under Stalingrad. These humans would have understood what her and Zach had gone through, but would their descendants?

But Jeena voiced none of these thoughts; she merely shrugged in what she hoped was a mysterious way and said, "A cave can be a home if you make it so."

"So...a greenhouse. Um, not that I want to seem rude or uncomplimentary, but are there are architectural plans and has anyone here actually built something like this before?"

The Tektani shook her head. "Gwen is using a kit sent by her...godfather, I think? Plus she has built such structures before in her travels around the world; I have every confidence in her ability to erect it." Then she turned to look over the various teens working together. "Now whether or not we posses the skill to put her plans into action, that might be a debatable point."

"You notice I chastised you both. There's a reason for that, Zach.

And yeah, working on the windows is probably a good idea."

Jeena nodded and she wiped her mouth and pitched her trash into the receptacle. "Yeah, I'm ready to get back to work; let's have a look at those windows." She started back towards the construction site, throwing a look and a smile over her shoulder towards Cole as she began to grow back up to fifteen feet, a size that was ideal for this sort of activity. She noted Brian and gave him a more-or-less neutral nod; hopefully Zach would follow and the other boy could finally get something to drink.

"Well, my sister's right. That's enough slacking for me." Zach drained the last of his cup of Dr. Pepper, his second cup of soda, which he was beginning to like. It almost tasted like the Crystal Kane plants that grew in many of the more damp caverns beneath the surface of Tektan. "It sure was nice meeting you, Cole." Zach gave him a handshake as he left. It was the first of such greetings that had really felt natural.

He followed his sister to the greenhouse. I think I may be getting the hang of this being human thing. And I like Cole. He is pleasantly easy going. More so than... Zach's train of thought derailed as he passed by Brian. He made sure to keep his expression neutral. He didn't nod or smile, but he refused to avert his eyes. He passed the other teen without a word, and approached the greenhouse wall.

His brain centered on a new train of thought, I know what windows are. But do you have any clue what this 'Kawk' was that Morgan mentioned? We're supposed to find it. Did someone misplace it?

Nobody was really sure when Crowe reappeared; one moment everyone was working, another they were up a raven-haired teen wielding a caulk gun like a lethal weapon. One thing was for sure, while his technique wasn't the greatest in the world, nobody could fault Morgan Crowe's enthusiasm. Eventually, he appeared near Brian, hanging upside-down by his legs from the catwalk and looking musingly at his friend. He cocked his head to the side and poked his roommate in the shoulder, asking inquisitively;

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Hey there. I'm Corbin Hughes.Sorry I missed you earlier. Been a bit...hectic...today. Feel free to pitch in when we all get back to it, but thankfully we're not strapped for help. Still, nice of you to drop by."

Cole looked up at bit at the massive young man, extending his way smaller hand to be shook. "I'm Cole. Nice to meet you. If I'd known this was happening, I'd have come by sooner. Lost track of time in the 'shop fiddling with stuff," he said with a little shrug. "I'll get that VR simulation system done I swear," he muttered half to himself. He wasn't the most social adept but he was fairly bright. It was well past time to leave the previous bout of heightened emotions behind. "I was told you and another senior or two were traveling the world or something. How was that?"

He quirked an eyebrow at Jeena. "Home is where you hang you hat is the local saying I believe," he said with a shrug. Still, he preferred something with modern amenities. He nodded at her as he suddenly saw the plans sitting on the table. He took them in with just a momentary glance. Simple, functional. He resisted the urge grab a pen and make some changed to improve it, but only just. It wasn't his to touch after all. "Oh, I'm sure we can handle it. Its a greenhouse. I can build a multi-function radio sound wave amplification and generator without blinking. I'm sure we can do this." He paused, realizing that might not have made a lot of sense. "Uh...that's a radio speaker and microphone," he said with an apologetic smile.

He watched Jeena turn and leave to start working again. Appreciatively; she was rather cute after all. He blinked. And really tall, he thought with an addendum. Obviously I know what her power is. At least what one power is. Cool, he thought, using the local vernacular.

Cole nodded to her brother as the fellow returned to working. "Nice meet you too. So...uh, what do need me to do?"

Brian finished the rest of his pizza while Morgan installed windows in the greenhouse's framework. When that was finished he motioned to his roomie and lead the other boy over to the refreshments table. The paper plate went into the garbage and he grabbed a Gatorade, chugging half of the bottle before talking. "Okay, so be honest with me here: Am I coming across like the crazy-possessive boyfriend before I'm even officially the boyfriend at all? I mean, Corbin told me I was being a bit hard on Zach for trying to help Gwen -- but he was messing with her right before she passed out!" He sighed and brushed his hair back. "I dunno, should I back off? Am I being a bit too much?"

Morgan cocked his head to one side, idly chewing on a slice of meat lovers' 'za, and ruminated on his roommate's predicament. He knew his friend valued his opinion sometimes (except in the matter of sports teams), and the teen'd have been remiss if he didn't offer at least some bit of help. Crowe talked slowly, collecting his thoughts while articulating them.

"I dunno, mate. Vicky and I sorta...well, things were going slow, then she got kidnapped, and I went straight from sorta-boyfriend to full-on dealie, along with the whole rescue thing in the process. And there was, uh, Tian...yeah. So 'm probably the wrong person to ask."

He munched on more of his slice, then shrugged. Eh, he couldn't very well make things worse, right? He popped the crust in his mouth, chewed, and swallowed, then swept up a bottle of Gatorade.

"Y'might have gone a bit overboard with Zach there, tho'. But then, so did he. Corb did the right thing there, no offense. I wouldn't say back off, but I'd be more indirect; work on making Gwen happy."

He sipped at the drink, then a somewhat mischevious smile creased his features, and he raised his bottle to his likely co-conspirator.

"Of course, we are going to prank the hell out of him later, right?"

I think I may be getting the hang of this being human thing. And I like Cole. He is pleasantly easy going. More so than...

Jeena did her best to hide a smile; it wasn't often Zach liked a boy she thought was cute.

I know what windows are. But do you have any clue what this 'Kawk' was that Morgan mentioned? We're supposed to find it. Did someone misplace it?

Morgan said something about a 'kawk gun'; maybe- She stopped when she noticed him popping around the greenhouse, gleefully squirting a pale gray goop into seemingly every crack and crevice of the structure; she indicated him with a jerk of her head. Is that what he's using over there? Or should I say 'abusing'? If kawk's some sort of sealant, he's making that greenhouse safe for space travel.

After a bit of hunting around, the twins found the sealant applicators near the rest of the tools, and got to work.

"Nice meet you too. So...uh, what do need me to do?"

A smiling Jeena leaned out of the greenhouse, poking most of her torso through the framework; at her current size, she was wielding her 'kawk gun' more like a syringe. "We put the window panels in place, then fill in the cracks with this sealant." She held up one hand smeared with grey putty; there was also a fairly artful smear on her face, though it was kind of hard to make out against her pale skin. "I can get the panels in fine, but my sealing skills need a bit of work; Cole, how about you work the gun while I hold the panels in place?"

Morgan said something about a 'kawk gun'; maybe- She stopped when she noticed him popping around the greenhouse, gleefully squirting a pale gray goop into seemingly every crack and crevice of the structure; she indicated him with a jerk of her head. Is that what he's using over there? Or should I say 'abusing'? If kawk's some sort of sealant, he's making that greenhouse safe for space travel.

Zach returned his sister's sending, Ha, wow! I wonder when the launch is?

After she requested Cole's help, Zach finally realized what his sister thought of the boy. Guess I should find another project to work on for the meantime. Don't need to strong young guys holding helping you caulk windows. I'll make myself be somewhere else for a while. Go easy on him, 'eh sis? Zach said with a smile.

He passed Cole as Cole was approaching the construction site, "Looks like you're up to bat, man. I guess I just wasn't working the gun properly or something. But she wants your help so... 'Give your sister what she wants,' right?"

Brian scowled and chugged more electrolytes to give him time to think. When he lowered the bottle, it was almost empty. "Yeah, but what if Zach's what makes her happy, man? The guy's trouble, I can just feel it." He sighed and reached for a water bottle this time, twisting it open savagely. "Anyway, yeah. Pranks." He reached out and bumped the bottom of his bottle against the bottom of Morgan's. "Do you think you could gin up a powder that made someone's hair fall out? Overnight?"

Cole looked _up_ at Jeena and nodded. "I can do that, sure," he said picking up the dispenser gun and eyeing it, before taking a quick moment to actually read the thing. "A silicone and latex based sealant? Takes that long to dry and harden," he added scowling. "Certainly not the most efficient product I can image but I suppose it should do. Too bad a better applicator isn't available," he mutters before turning back.

He glanced over at Zach with a raised eyebrow and a slow nod of his head. Jeena was Zack's sister, not his. Or...maybe it was one of those weird social saying he hadn't come across yet. That could be it. Still, it seemed best to just nod and go along with it for the moment. "I'll see what I can do," he tentatively agreed. He moved over to the window Jeena was placing and got to work. "I think you need a towel for your cheek by the way. Unless you intended to wear some sealant on your cheek. Either way, just wash the area liberally when ready and keep it away from your eyes according to the label on this thing," he said almost apologetically.

Guess I should find another project to work on for the meantime. Don't need to strong young guys holding helping you caulk windows. I'll make myself be somewhere else for a while. Go easy on him, 'eh sis?

Jeena smiled and gave Zach a wink. Thanks, big brother, you're the best! And don't worry, I'm not going to do anything too crazy; just a little pleasant conversation while in close physical proximity.

"I think you need a towel for your cheek by the way. Unless you intended to wear some sealant on your cheek. Either way, just wash the area liberally when ready and keep it away from your eyes according to the label on this thing," he said almost apologetically.

The pretty giantess pointed innocently at the smear. "What, this? This is war paint." She rubbed a still-wet dollop from the back of her hand on her other cheek. "Before any battle, a true warrior applies her 'warface', so that her enemies know her terrible intent!" She shook a massive fist at the inanimate structure they were working on. "Fear me, O house of glass! My mighty blows shall sunder thee!" At her current size, such battle cries were fairly impressive, though thankfully lacking the volume they possessed at her full height; of course, her ludicrously twisted grimace was more than half silly smile.

Morgan raised an eyebrow at Brian's question, taking a swig from the energy drink then assuming a dignified posture with a bottle of soda in one hand and a pizza slice in the other. His voice was, to put it lightly, possibly the most pompous Brian had ever heard his roommate use, with a nice touch of ham in the delivery.

"You do realize, Mister Harris, that you are asking such a question of one of the Wise; a wielder of the arcane, of powers far beyond mortal ken. I inscribe runes of power that could crack the very fabric of reality, bring the very elements to heel, and shake the very pillars of heaven!"

The teenage drama queen took a long draught of the energy drink, then looked at his roomie with a grin that was positively nefarious.

"Thinking way too small, mate. How about sending him, his PJs, and his mattress on an all-expenses paid tour to the roof of the dormitories?"

Cole quirked an eyebrow up at her, his mouth quirking up in a smile. She was a bit odd...which really didn't separate her from anyone else he'd met. They were all rather odd. Still, she seemed funny. Cute too. Tall, but cute. "Ah...and here I thought it was the result of a massive war wound suffered nobly on the field of battle," he said sagely. He reached over to a tool bench and grabbed a hammer and wrench, extending them to her. "Before you engage in the most fearsome battle, you should arm yourself appropriately," he said with a small smile, attempting fake seriousness. She'd have to find her own 'ammo'. He hefted the rather less than ideal kawk gun, half wishing he could take a few moment to whip up something better. "I am armed and ready of course, prepared to lay siege to the enemy. Have at thee!," he said with a grin...and applied the kawk to seal the window into position.

"Ah...and here I thought it was the result of a massive war wound suffered nobly on the field of battle," he said sagely.

For a brief second, the pale-skinned girl stiffened, her smile frozen on her face; she thought of the scars hidden beneath her clothing, from both combat and her brief period of imprisonment. Scars on Tektani skin didn't stand out as much as they did on a human, but they were still visible, and could be felt by a gentle caress...

He can't have known; he's just being silly, and remember you were the one who started this warrior business.

Jeena missed a bit of his joke, but was able to fake it; she clutched one hand to her heart and pressed the other to her forehead as she mock-swooned. "The only injury I suffered was to my heart, shattered into a million pieces by..." And then she thought of Preel back on Tektan, the boy she liked on another team; she never got a chance to talk with him alone like she wanted to, and of course now he could be anywhere. Tears suddenly welled up in her eyes, but she did her best to laugh lightly.

"You know what, maybe we should just cut the theatrics for a bit; the fastest way to injure yourself is being silly on a worksite." She held the pane of glass firmly in place and squeezed her eyes shut.

Cole blinked. He might not be the most adept at these situations but he was a bright fellow. He'd said something wrong. Something about wounds or battle had hit a nerve. He thought she was going to cry for a moment there. She even tried to recover with a little remark but closed up tight almost right away. He'd definitely done something wrong.

Now he suddenly felt like a cad and a heel...and he had no idea why. He nodded slowly at her as she turned away and help the pane in place with her eyes squeezed shut. He reached out with one hand to hold it in place, starting to use the sealant as he spoke. "Uh, I think I can handle this one if you'd like to go and...get a drink...or something," he said, struggling to think of how to fix this. His only idea was to give her an out, a way to take off for a bit. He'd have to apologize later, once he figured out what happened. He didn't look up at her; he just held the window and worked.

"Uh, I think I can handle this one if you'd like to go and...get a drink...or something,"

Jeena nodded, feeling bad for making Cole feel bad. Truly, getting to know someone was like trying to cross a cavern filled with seismic mines; you never knew when you'd misstep and plunge down into darkness. She shrank back down to her normal size and headed over to the drink table, head down and hood up, but as she passed she ran an affectionate hand across Cole's shoulders. She was tempted to send to Zach, but opted for a few moments of silence; anyway, he'd probably see her and send to her regardless.

The Gatorade felt good going down; as she stood with the cold bottle held next to her temple, she looked back across to Cole and gave him a hopeful smile; she definitely didn't want to let this portal close. Don't scare him, Jee; keep that connection open.

Zachary stood at the snack table as he downed another Dr. Pepper. When his sister left the construction site, he began walking toward it, thinking he was due for another shift. As the two became closer, Zachary's mind did indeed touch his sister's thoughts. He was cheery at first, Leaving already? How'd it go? but when he was close enough, he saw her expression and became more serious, Oh, Sis, what's wrong? he asked, his mental tone soothing.

Zach didn't stop when he passed his sister, he didn't want to call too much attention to her since it seemed she was trying to hide whatever was wrong. But as he passed, he brushed her arm with his hand to try and provide some comfort.

"Guess I'm on duty now, huh?" Zach said to Cole as he approached, "Jee wanted water, so she took a break. Said you might need some help, so I decided to check."

Corbin had finished his lunch a short bit of time ago, and had contented himself watching his fellow teens talk, laugh, and work. He spared a cautious eye for the enthusiastic duo of Crow and Glowstar, but trusted them not to do anything rash.

...At least not for the rest of the day. Maybe afternoon, at least.

Observing the progress on the greenhouse as a whole, he nodded as he came to a decision. He took a deep breath before speaking in a voice that, while not a yell, still carried quite well to the others.

"Everyone, it was a pleasure working with you, and in many cases, meeting you for the first time. It looks like you all have this very well in hand, so I think I'm going to go take care of a couple of other things I have to do. Try not to get hurt, or get in any fights. The Headmaster frowns on those. Take care, folks!"

And with a wave and a flash of blue energy, Corbin was flying off to elsewhere. Possibly where he knew his girlfriend was getting out of a training session.

"I'd prefer to avoid having to pay to rebuild any buildings," Brian said dryly. "What about, like invisibility dye?" He started tapping his toe, really getting into the idea. "Yeah. Wait until he's got a big date planned and leave him with a pair of sweatpants and a jersey!"

He caught Corbin's look and shrank down in his seat. "Uh, listen Morgan. Why don' we go over to the cafeteria or someplace to plan this, huhn?"