If you build it... (IC)

Breella

Zach turned back to Gwen with a big smile on his face. Whether it was strictly his powers controlling the density of his molecules or something else, but his normally steely, guarded expression softened. Remember when I denied liking Gwen? he sent to his sister, I take that back. She's willing to watch your back if I'm not around. She definitely passes the test. Hang in there, and let me know what Vicky says about that stunt you pulled. I might be able to use the info as well.

"Who are the Irish Twins?" Zach asked, unfamiliar with the expression, or possibly the proper name, he wasn't sure. Then he decided to go out on a limb. He reached out to Gwen's mind with his own. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to. He wasn't sure if the act was proper or if it was taboo. He just locked eyes with her, and place his thoughts directly in her head, I really doubt we're anything like any twins you actually DO know. There's so much about us that we don't - can't - tell people.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crow felt a mite shamed himself when he saw Jeena hurry away; he'd figured she was trying to understand something, his intent had been initially to slip the answer by, but right now it looked more like he'd kicked her puppy. And then it hit him like a ton of bricks exactly how she'd have taken his comment. Aaaand then he sat down on the catwalk, placed both hands on the safety rail, then gave his head a couple of whacks against said rail.

"Máthair na trócaire, I'm an idiot. Me and my bright ideas..."

Another couple of whacks, and he let his forehead rest against the rail. Then he gave Corbin a look that distinctly conveyed the change in his demeanor, namely that of considerable chagrin, and embarassment.

"Corbin, do me a favor; if I ever get another idea, just go right upside my head?"

As the last nuts and bolts were fitted in place Brian wandered back outside. He turned and took a look at -- well, not just his handiwork, of course, but still. He was proud that he'd managed to hold something so big together so well. Of course now he found himself wondering if he'd been able to hold the whole thing together from the beginning, not just going in stages...

He glanced around and noticed Gwen -- talking to a boy he hadn't seen before. His brows drew together and he felt his hackles rise. He felt a sense of protectiveness and, yes, even possessiveness flash through him as he walked over, forcing a smile onto his face. He stood next to Gwen, slipping an arm around her shoulder. "Hey there," he said, extending his free hand to Zach. "Brain Harris. Don't think I've seen you around campus before."

... Brian wandered back outside ...

He glanced around and noticed Gwen -- talking to a boy he hadn't seen before. His brows drew together and he walked over, forcing a smile onto his face. He stood next to Gwen, slipping an arm around her shoulder. "Hey there," he said, extending his free hand to Zach.

Zach knew who the newcomer was instantly, thanks to his earlier mental conversation with Jeena. Instantly, Zach's threw up his armor again. His smiling expression hardened and fell. He wasn't frowning, but he wasn't smiling either. Before his eyes left Gwen's, she saw the glimmer of who Zach really was quickly dig itself in, preparing for a heated battle, retreating deep inside him.

"Brain Harris. Don't think I've seen you around campus before."

It took Zach a moment, his eyes lingering a fraction of a second longer on Gwen, before they flashed to his left, focusing on Brian. So he's the competition. He remembered suddenly the customary earthling greeting of the handshake. Stumbling over the greeting, he finally met Brian's palm with his own. "Brian! Zachary Vandermol," Though it was obvious that Zach was letting Brian do all the gripping in this handshake, Brian was met with solid resistance by Zach's flesh which was harder than the reinforced structure of greenhouse he'd just helped erect. "Jeena, my sister, has told me so much about you." Zachary smiled. But there were red flags everywhere. They pair knew that Jeena had just met Brian today, and that the twins hadn't spoken a word to each other since Zach arrived.

"Jeena didn't mention that you had more than just those vines attached to you, Gwen." Zach's tone was strange. His lack of expression, and unfamiliarity with Earth humor didn't help. Just as the situation began to grow tense, Zach suddenly cracked a smile and laughed. "Get it? Because of his arm?" His new tone and expression held no malcontent or ill will, even if it did sound a bit forced.

Brian felt anger flash through him at Zach's comment, and his first reaction was to step forward and knock out a few of Blondie's teeth -- but then Archer's training rose up and he checked that reaction. He started to put things together, like the excavated water line and the way Zach made eye contact with Gwen, even the other teen's confrontational stance towards Brian himself. He took a mental breath and stepped forward, letting Gwen go and catching Zach by the arm instead. "Hey, man," he said, steering the other teen away from the group. "Let's... let's go pick up the pizzas, yeah?"

When they were a few yards away and unlikely to be heard by the others, Brian dropped his hand back to his side and said, in a low tone, "So you're into Gwen too, huh?"

He took a mental breath and stepped forward, letting Gwen go and catching Zach by the arm instead. "Hey, man," he said, steering the other teen away from the group. "Let's... let's go pick up the pizzas, yeah?"

Brian, unfortunately, must have been wise to admittedly rather mean jab Zach had taken, his response wasn't really very well disguised. At least not to Zach, "Uh, sure," He responded, "I supposed Vicky and Jeena may need help carrying them."

Zach turned to follow Brian, rather than be simply pulled along behind him. but sent a message to his sister as he did so, I think I'm headed your direction. I've just met this Brian you told me of. He's being more territorial about Gwen than a Muka Mole!

When they were a few yards away and unlikely to be heard by the others, Brian dropped his hand back to his side and said, in a low tone, "So you're into Gwen too, huh?"

Zach looked worried, "Shoot." He looked like a Dolerite Dog with it's tail between it's legs. "Yea. I guess you caught me. I guess I owe you an apology, but you kind of swept her out from under me. I met her the other day, and she gave no indication that she was seeing anyone. Zach shrugged, "Suddenly, today, I'm finished with my training exercises and Jeena tells me Gwen has someone who is being an obvious suitor." Zach explained. "We haven't officially met, so you might not know this: My sister and I are from the Netherlands. So I'm really not sure how these things work around here?" Zach shrugged again, unsure of how to proceed, and not wanting to make any enemies. He liked Gwen, but he wasn't sure she felt the same way yet. How could he risk his new crafted reputation and possible the cover identities of both himself and his sister if he didn't know what Gwen felt about him in return? Or about Brian for that matter. He tried to appease Brian, "I'm not trying to be sneaky. I just like her."

When she stood next to the blond haired girl, she gently put a hand on the Dutch girl's shoulder in a comforting gesture. "You okay Jeena? Why don't you come walk with me to the gatehouse? I could use a hand with the pizza. And if something's bothering you, you can tell me and maybe I can help?"

The friendly gesture caught Jeena quite off-guard, and she started at the touch. "What? Oh thanks...sure." She wiped away a few tears and took a big swig of Gatorade. "It's my own stupid fault; everything is so different here, and I haven't had a lot of chances...with boys." She sighed, but did seem to regain a couple inches of height. "I think I was being too pushy or too obvious, and Morgan figured out what I was up to; I didn't know the two of you were together, or Corbin and 'Quotus', whoever that is..." The fair-skinned teen met Vicky's eyes with her own pale blue ones. "I'm so sorry; I should have just asked."

Remember when I denied liking Gwen? he sent to his sister, I take that back. She's willing to watch your back if I'm not around. She definitely passes the test. Hang in there, and let me know what Vicky says about that stunt you pulled. I might be able to use the info as well.

Jeena nodded and smiled, seemingly to herself. Yeah, I really like her; I think you two would be good together, if that ever works out. I’m actually starting to trust her, which feels pretty nice stuck here on lonely old Earth.

I think I'm headed your direction. I've just met this Brian you told me of. He's being more territorial about Gwen than a Muka Mole!

His sister laughed and shook her head. Well to be fair, he did get there first; don’t give up just yet, but... try not to do anything too stupid.

Brian forced himself to remain calm as Zach confessed his feelings for Gwen. He was seized by a sudden and primal urge to knock the other teen to the ground and beat some sense into him, but he pushed it down. "I'd really like to say that Gwen's my lady and you got to stay away from her," he admitted. "That if you didn't, I'd chuck you into the bay or hound you out of town or make your life a living hell. But... I don't really have a right to do that. Gwen's her own person. Neither of us can control what she does, and it wouldn't be right for us to try to. Yes, I already asked her out -- I saw her, I liked her, I went for it. But that doesn't mean we're bound together for all eternity, either." He took a deep breath and rubbed the back of his neck, casting his gaze to the right, up, down at his feet, at anywhere that wasn't Zach. "Damn. I can't believe I'm trying to give a pep talk to my romantic rival. But... may the best man win." He stuck out a hand to the other teen and finally met the young man's eyes.

Seeing the opening to save some face, and also to get a free pass at pursuing the object of his desire, Zach all but jumped on Brian's offer. This time, he was much more willing to shake. When Zach grabbed Brian's hand, the resulting smack was like trying to break the surface tension of the water in a pool with a full on swing - It smarted. It wasn't a malicious attack, Zach was just excited. That much was clear.

"Even I know that saying," Zach replied, "And I think you've got yourself a deal there, Brian. And I have to say, I'm very glad that you didn't try to throw me in the river. I'm a lot heavier than I look. I'd sink, and I hate getting wet!" Zach was in high spirits.

"But I have to ask: As far as famous sayings go, what is your opinion of, 'All's fair in love and war'?" Zach asked his new rival.

Hey, sis? Remember how we were going to research the 'practical joke'? Do you think we can move that to the top of the list?

Brian winced at Zach's... enthusiasm, suddenly realized that giving the other boy a clear shot at his own girlfriend maybe wasn't the best idea he'd ever had. Regardless, now wasn't the time to backpedal on his decision. "I'll step up to any bar you want to set, but fair warning, man -- I've got four pairs of eyes looking out for me. And four sets of hands working to help me. You might wake up one day to find that your room doesn't have a door anymore." He dropped Zach's hand and they walked a few more feet on while he fought the urge to shake his hand. Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks. "Uh, didn't the girls already go to get the pizza?"

Corbin Alphonse Hughes was many things, and was capable of many things. Some things didn't come as easily to him, though.

For one thing, he often did poorly at picking up on the more subtle "social games" many of his peers played. It was, oddly enough, one of the factors in the success of his relationship with Quo-Dis; neither of them like playing such games, and instead preferred honesty. That was why, when Jeena "accidentally" brushed against him once or twice, he thought it was a genuine accident (and his own fault, to boot). He hadn't given it a second thought, at least not until he saw her run off after shrinking down.

He was also poor at concealing his emotions when not in a fight. It was easy to see the progression of emotions after Jeena ran off. First there was contemplation and confusion. Then, after a few moments, there was understanding, which quickly melted to sympathy; while he wasn't interested, he didn't like seeing the girl so upset. Of course, there was a reason she was so upset. Ever so slowly, Corbin's gaze shifted from Jeena's general direction, over to Morgan. His expression went from a brief burst of understanding, to irritation, to something...else. "Cold fury" might apply, despite the handful of sparks that came from his eyes as he marched over until he was within Crow's arms' reach. He then leaned over and spent over a minute just looking the underclassman in the eye, even as the younger teen berated himself.

Crow felt a mite shamed himself when he saw Jeena hurry away; he'd figured she was trying to understand something, his intent had been initially to slip the answer by, but right now it looked more like he'd kicked her puppy. And then it hit him like a ton of bricks exactly how she'd have taken his comment. Aaaand then he sat down on the catwalk, placed both hands on the safety rail, then gave his head a couple of whacks against said rail.

"Máthair na trócaire, I'm an idiot. Me and my bright ideas..."

Another couple of whacks, and he let his forehead rest against the rail. Then he gave Corbin a look that distinctly conveyed the change in his demeanor, namely that of considerable chagrin, and embarassment.

"Corbin, do me a favor; if I ever get another idea, just go right upside my head?"

Corbin continued to just stare at the boy for a bit, his eyes glowing faintly, his expression carved from stone, his arms crossed over his chest. Finally, he spoke, and his voice rumbled up from his chest, sounding vaguely like a truck starting up. Or maybe a tank.

"Yeah. I might just do that. Or maybe, the next time you decide to use the relationship I have with the woman I love as a petty, blunt weapon, I'll skip right to a "training session" that'll leave you begging for Mr. Archer. Because as much as it upsets me that you were so callous in general as to make her cry, it....offends me...that you used my relationship to do it. That's been done once before, Morgan Crowe."

Corbin leaned in further, his face only inches from Morgan's

"Suffice to say, it did not end well for the party responsible. You would do well to remember that, little rune-maker."

He straightened up in a blur, his left hand all but slamming onto Crow's shoulder as a grin split his face.

"I'm so glad we had this heart-to-heart chat, aren't you? Anyways, why don't you look over everything again. I'm gonna go get a drink."

With that, he walked off, humming a Viking metal rock song under his breath.

Gwen's head was spinning. She was in shock for a brief time after Zach's voice invaded her mind. The vines were scrambling, they had been startled quite well by the mental invasion. Neither Gwen nor the vines were used to any voices in their head but each other. By the time Gwen shook it off a lot had gone down. She vaguely remembered Brian coming over, though the conversation was blurred, she saw the two of them walk off together, and watched them shake hands after a moment. He in here!! The vines stated. How get in here? They asked the questions over and over, both intrigued and scared. Gwen turned and surveyed the goings on, it seemed that she had zoned out and missed quite a bit.

Morgan would have liked to say he faced down the angry ring-bearer's stare with insouciance and aplomb. He would have liked to say that the older student's admonishments didn't intimidate him, that he understood and had already been clued to his royal screw-up. He would have liked to say that he had a response already made for when Corbin walked off, whistling a rather catchy tune. He would have liked to say all of that. Unfortunately, he didn't. His perspective on the situation was summed up with the rather meagre sound that escaped from him following the shoulder-thump, as well as his distinct feeling of shame.

"...meep."

The friendly gesture caught Jeena quite off-guard, and she started at the touch. "What? Oh thanks...sure." She wiped away a few tears and took a big swig of Gatorade. "It's my own stupid fault; everything is so different here, and I haven't had a lot of chances...with boys." She sighed, but did seem to regain a couple inches of height. "I think I was being too pushy or too obvious, and Morgan figured out what I was up to; I didn't know the two of you were together, or Corbin and 'Quotus', whoever that is..." The fair-skinned teen met Vicky's eyes with her own pale blue ones. "I'm so sorry; I should have just asked."

Vicky began walking towards the gatehouse with Jeena beside her. "So, you tried flirting with Morgan and Corbin?" she asked, there wasn't even a hint of anger or jealousy in her voice as she spoke. At Jeena's nod she sighed, "Highschool... I should probably have done a proper introduction the other day on the tour so yeah, this is at least partially my fault. I'm also guessing he had pretty much zero tact when turning you down?" At Jeena's second confirmation she her head. "I'll tell you what, I know that John's single. Maybe I can set you guys up on a date?"

"I'll step up to any bar you want to set, but fair warning, man -- I've got four pairs of eyes looking out for me. And four sets of hands working to help me. You might wake up one day to find that your room doesn't have a door anymore."

Zach smiled and gave a defensive wave of his hands. He'd seen others do it when they want to apologize indirectly. He only hoped he was doing it properly. "Well, I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure we could go full scale Normandy on each other if we wanted. I'm... Not interested in that kind of competition. It would get too heated too quickly, I think." Zachary had an entirely different thought running through his own head, It would be too much like a real war.

"Tell you what, how about we play it nice and friendly. I think they call it a gentleman's competition. We just see who she likes better?" Zachary shrugged confidently, indicating it wouldn't be a very big challenge for him.

"Uh, didn't the girls already go to get the pizza?"

"Yea, I thought you knew that." Zach looked a little lost, "I thought you were playing the 'obvious misdirection' angle back there. You know, make sure I got the message because I'm from out of town? Vicky and Jeena are right over there." Zach pointed to the gate, about one hundred feet distant, "Don't tell me you missed that."

If he's this oblivious, this will be easier than I thought.

Gwen wasn't used to being left alone the way the boys had and she was rather confused. He was here! The vines echoed again, still curious about how that happened. I'm not being left alone like this! Gwen shouted in her head. She put down the box she had started to move and marched towards the boys. She walked up behind them and tapped them both on the shoulder. She looked at Zach, "You are going to tell me how you did that..." She turned and looked at Brian then stepped back so they were both in view. "And the girls got at least a five minute head start to the front gate, I doubt Vicky needs help carrying anything, What in goodness name is going on here?"

It was nice talking with Vicky; more than anything else, Jeena was relieved that she appeared to be forgiving about her flirting faux pas, but it was just nice to talk about dating with another girl. Of course she'd talked about such things with other girls back home, but it was typically nothing more than whispers and giggles after lights out in the girls' barracks, and out in the field there was little time for such distractions. She'd never had an open conversation on the subject like this, with a chance that something might even come of it; it was actually kind of fun!

"I'll tell you what, I know that John's single. Maybe I can set you guys up on a date?"

At Vicky's suggestion, the pale-skinned girl wrinkled her nose. "John? Really? He seems...like some sort of training robot. Do you even know if he likes girls?" She put her cap back on and pulled the brim down to her eyebrows as she thought more seriously about the issue. "He's definitely good looking, and has a nice body, but I'm not sure...well, I wouldn't rule him out altogether..."

Seeing that she finally had the teleporter to herself, Jeena looked over her shoulder to see if anyone was within earshot, then quickly grabbed her upper arm and leaned in to whisper with barely concealed excitement. "Okay, about this 'art club'; do you make art, do you talk about it, or do you just look at it? I mean, I'd be happy just to look at it, but I'd rather do the other two as well."

"I'm reasonably sure he is into girls. I mean I haven't caught him trying to sneak into the girls' locker room or showers or anything but you have a point. He's almost too polite, that's part of his charm, but it does making picking up singles difficult. I will admit, my ex-girlfriend complained I didn't have any sort of obvious signs of being into guys or girls before finally cornering me and being rather blunt about the question," Vicky babbled. "Sorry, off topic. And I'm sorry if my outing of myself makes you uncomfortable... I know some people get one of two reactions, 'aw dude, sweet, can I watch?' or '...is she hitting on me?'"

At Jeena's questions on the art club she brightened, "A little of all three. Usually we pick a project to do over the week, show it off next meeting, and have discussions on techniques, computer programs, materials, etc. I suddenly wish I'd brought my sketchpad, I could show you some of the stuff I've shared."

"Yea, I thought you knew that." Zach looked a little lost, "I thought you were playing the 'obvious misdirection' angle back there. You know, make sure I got the message because I'm from out of town? Vicky and Jeena are right over there." Zach pointed to the gate, about one hundred feet distant, "Don't tell me you missed that."

Brian frowned. "I was inside holding things," he said, "helping to build the actual greenhouse. I can't keep track of everyone's coming and going."

He made to turn around when Gwen planted herself in front of them both. His mouth suddenly went dry and he worked not to panic. He swallowed several times before he was able to speak. "It's just... just a little guy-to-guy talk, you know?" He turned around and started guiding Zach back to the construction site. "Let's, uh, get those paving stones down, right?"

Before Brian and Zach could walk away some of the vines reached out and started to wrap around Zach. Gwen just stood there, hands crossed against her chest and her loose braids hanging around her head. If it was possible her eyes got paler, she waved a hand the vines. "Zach, you owe them an explanation. They're thoroughly confused and intrigued by what you did before." Hhheellllllloooo the vines kept trying to echo in Gwen's mind, still looking for the mental Zach voice. Stop that! I can't think straight.

"I'm reasonably sure he is into girls. I mean I haven't caught him trying to sneak into the girls' locker room or showers or anything but you have a point. He's almost too polite, that's part of his charm, but it does making picking up singles difficult. I will admit, my ex-girlfriend complained I didn't have any sort of obvious signs of being into guys or girls before finally cornering me and being rather blunt about the question," Vicky babbled. "Sorry, off topic. And I'm sorry if my outing of myself makes you uncomfortable... I know some people get one of two reactions, 'aw dude, sweet, can I watch?' or '...is she hitting on me?'"

Jeena shrugged indifferently; any remaining squeamishness the Tektani had about gender and sexuality had more or less vanished in the struggle to survive under the domination of the Star Khan. It wasn't like the whole race had lost all vestiges of intolerance, but a sexually-intergrated resistance movement had more important things to worry about than who was sleeping with who most of the time.

"A little of all three. Usually we pick a project to do over the week, show it off next meeting, and have discussions on techniques, computer programs, materials, etc. I suddenly wish I'd brought my sketchpad, I could show you some of the stuff I've shared."

"Oh, I would...like to see those." Talking about a personal passion was hard for her; she was so used to keeping them to herself that articulating them did not come easy. "I like to...draw? Or is it 'sketch'?" She waved her hand to demonstrate, as though she gripped a pen or stylus. "I've used charcoal, and salvaged pigments." Her face clouded over. "I wasn't allowed to have such supplies, and I couldn't keep any of my work; we had to pack light and be ready to move a moment's notice. I had to burn a lot of it..." Jeena looked decided crestfallen at this statement.

Vicky empathized with the young woman about the loss of her hard work, though she wondered why she would have had to been ready to move at a moment's notice. "It probably isn't my place to ask, but why did you need to be so mobile? As for losing your work, when my energy blasts started, I lost a couple week's worth of sketches and brainstorming ideas. An unexpected burst of energy vaporized the book I was drawing on and the pencil I was holding. The skirt I was wearing at the time was ruined too."

Vicky had an idea that might cheer the size-shifter up, "After we're done with the greenhouse, maybe we can swing over to the art department and get you some starter supplies. After that, I'll show you one of my favorite places to sit back and draw during the summer."

"It probably isn't my place to ask, but why did you need to be so mobile? As for losing your work, when my energy blasts started, I lost a couple week's worth of sketches and brainstorming ideas. An unexpected burst of energy vaporized the book I was drawing on and the pencil I was holding. The skirt I was wearing at the time was ruined too."

Realizing that she'd said too much, Jeena winced and drew her shoulders up slightly' on the plus side, she was back to her normal height, if not an inch or two taller. "I...maybe I'll tell you about it some day. Let's just say, Zach and I didn't have a very normal childhood, for a lot of reasons."

"After we're done with the greenhouse, maybe we can swing over to the art department and get you some starter supplies. After that, I'll show you one of my favorite places to sit back and draw during the summer."

That had the desired reaction; the new student's eyes went wide behind her sunglasses. "Really? That's fantastic! Oh, I would love to do that!" Vicky's mentioning of her lost skirt also got her to thinking. "Hey, do you think sometime maybe you, me and Gwen could go shopping?" She looked down at herself. "I don't have a lot of stuff to wear, but money's kind of tight; is there one of those outlet malls near Freedom?" She pulled up her T-shirt, exposing a narrow ribbon of pale flesh. "I can't go too skimpy, because I don't just burn, I ignite. Still, having at least one dress would be nice, like if John and I went out sometime..."

Cole needed a break. Between spending time over at the Lab and working on the VR project Vicky had come up with, he hadn't surfaced from his working fugue for a bit except for meals and the like. The project had really grabbed his attention and had consumed him almost. It was challenging and fun...in a rather geeky kind of way. Not to mention, the potential of the project was rather extensive with multiple connecting possibilities. Working on the projects was fun and all but human interaction was kind of important as well. So, time to take a break.

He walked out of the dorm after a nice refreshing shower, feeling revitalized and energized. He looked across the open and mostly lawns a moment. Soon this place was going to be rather full. Might as well enjoy the fresh air and quiet till then he figured. Without a set direction in mind, he started wandering almost aimlessly. He hadn't gone far when he heard multiple voices as well as some shuffling and moving around. Rounding the corner of a building, his curiosity pulled him along. Noting several new faces as well as some known ones, he stepped up and let his eyes wander over the situation.

"Uh...good morning everyone."

"It's just... just a little guy-to-guy talk, you know?" He turned around and started guiding Zach back to the construction site. "Let's, uh, get those paving stones down, right?"

Zach nodded his affirmative. They both needed to save some face on this one. Brian for coming up with a bad lie, and him for going along with it. He found he had no choice but to try corroborating his rival's story. He was all but set to follow Brian, wanting to say something to Gwen, but unable as he was being ushered off.

Then the vines grabbed him. Zach's turned his head to stare at his right arm, bound and trailing behind him. The vines were beginning to creep up his sleeve. The look on his face was one of consternation and confusion.

Vines. On my arm. He sent what might be considered a cry for help to his sister. He hadn't meant to, but she'd always been the first thing his mind reached out to when it wasn't sure what to do. Jeena? They're crawling up my sleeve. In spite of himself, Zach shuddered slightly. Then it hit him, he'd invaded the consciousness of Gwen and the vines. They weren't doing any worse to him. No. I'm okay. I'm okay. He told his sister.

"Gwen I..." He was finally able to open his mouth, though his speech was halting. In for a penny, in for a pound. he thought to himself. He leveled his eyes with hers and said, "I don't know what you're talking about." But she and the vines heard his real message in their head again, Come on, Gwen! It's a secret! No one knows! She saw his eyes flicker in Brian's direction before returning to her, But I'll tell you. In private. Meet me by the old tree after we're done building the greenhouse.

Hhheellllllloooo the vines kept trying to echo in Gwen's mind, still looking for the mental Zach voice. Stop that! I can't think straight.

It was rather apparent that Zach couldn't hear the responses. He made no register of Gwen's thoughts, or that of the vines. He only said, "Brian's right, the faster we lay those stones, the faster this thing gets done. Can you uh..." He looked at the vines still creeping around his wrist, "Can you let me go?"