Another Road

shazam

Captain Wonder's blow landed cleanly, smashing Megastar backwards and rendering the metahuman temporarily insensate. Fortunate, seeing as how Megastar didn't seem to be acting sensibly anyway. Captain Wonder's spirits were buoyed by the appearance of another superhero, though. His chrome exterior belied an apparent verbose lexicon - always nice to see in such tough times.

As very welcome as the new arrival is, Captain Wonder can't help but briefly think Just how many heroes are in this city? There are a lot of people around he's never met before, and no time to draw on the Wisdom of Imhotep for a clue. But the new man seems to have his head on straight, and that's what really counts. He leaves 'Star' with his ears ringing and dives into the heart of the melee.

It takes him only a moment to see the main threat, and he acts quickly. "Gun!" he calls, not sure of what the payload is or what damage it can do to his ally. (Or himself, for that matter.) He dives for the bazooka and rips it right out of the hands of the SHADOW thug. "Little boys shouldn't play with guns!"

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Wonder's blow landed cleanly, smashing Megastar backwards and rendering the metahuman temporarily insensate. Fortunate, seeing as how Megastar didn't seem to be acting sensibly anyway. Captain Wonder's spirits were buoyed by the appearance of another superhero, though. His chrome exterior belied an apparent verbose lexicon - always nice to see in such tough times.

As very welcome as the new arrival is, Captain Wonder can't help but briefly think Just how many heroes are in this city? There are a lot of people around he's never met before, and no time to draw on the Wisdom of Imhotep for a clue. But the new man seems to have his head on straight, and that's what really counts. He leaves 'Star' with his ears ringing and dives into the heart of the melee.

It takes him only a moment to see the main threat, and he acts quickly. "Gun!" he calls, not sure of what the payload is or what damage it can do to his ally. (Or himself, for that matter.) He dives for the bazooka and rips it right out of the hands of the SHADOW thug. "Little boys shouldn't play with guns!"

He takes a moment to arch an eyebrow at the massive burst of energy incoming towards him, pulling back to avoid the crash of it to his body. He continues then in motion, flipping his body around end over end to keep the rhythm of his fists and feet sending the SHADOW agents flying.

He catches in the corner of his sight Captain Wonder's disarm of the bazooka wielder.

"My thanks!"

He takes a moment to arch an eyebrow at the massive burst of energy incoming towards him, pulling back to avoid the crash of it to his body. He continues then in motion, flipping his body around end over end to keep the rhythm of his fists and feet sending the SHADOW agents flying.

He catches in the corner of his sight Captain Wonder's disarm of the bazooka wielder.

"My thanks!"

Liberating the energy bazooka from the startled SHADOW agent was simplicity in itself for Captain Wonder, who seemed to be learning the limits of his power. After loosing perhaps their last ace in the hole against the forces arrayed against them, the Nazis finally broke and ran in all directions, firing at whatever presented itself. Before they could get more than a couple steps, however, The Emissary and Sonic ripped into their numbers yet again, decimating the right flank and reducing the fascists to barely more than six still conscious.

Megastar stepped in at that point, adding to the swirling chaos of melee combat. It was clear he still wasn't happy with Captain Wonder for the initial take down, but he knew who the real threat here was.

It seemed there would be little left to do but fly around and pick up the stragglers after that. But then Captain Wonder saw something that made he blood run cold. Matty, the boy he'd spoken to briefly had run out into the forested area, seemingly trying to see what was happening. His mother was close behind, but not close enough. Matty's curiosity soon turned to terror as one of the black-suited troopers ran across his path. Already paniced, the man turned his gun on the first sign of movement. Katrina tried to shield Matty with her own body, but it wouldn't be save him from a laser rifle at point-blank range, that much Captain Wonder knew.

Liberating the energy bazooka from the startled SHADOW agent was simplicity in itself for Captain Wonder, who seemed to be learning the limits of his power. After loosing perhaps their last ace in the hole against the forces arrayed against them, the Nazis finally broke and ran in all directions, firing at whatever presented itself. Before they could get more than a couple steps, however, The Emissary and Sonic ripped into their numbers yet again, decimating the right flank and reducing the fascists to barely more than six still conscious.

Megastar stepped in at that point, adding to the swirling chaos of melee combat. It was clear he still wasn't happy with Captain Wonder for the initial take down, but he knew who the real threat here was.

It seemed there would be little left to do but fly around and pick up the stragglers after that. But then Captain Wonder saw something that made he blood run cold. Matty, the boy he'd spoken to briefly had run out into the forested area, seemingly trying to see what was happening. His mother was close behind, but not close enough. Matty's curiosity soon turned to terror as one of the black-suited troopers ran across his path. Already paniced, the man turned his gun on the first sign of movement. Katrina tried to shield Matty with her own body, but it wouldn't be save him from a laser rifle at point-blank range, that much Captain Wonder knew.

"No," whispers Wonder in horror, a moment before he flies into action. He blows past the other heroes with the literal speed of a god, plowing into the SHADOW agent with one spectacular punch that hits hard enough to break through a tank's armor. With a mother and child threatened, Captain Wonder does not hold back.

"No," whispers Wonder in horror, a moment before he flies into action. He blows past the other heroes with the literal speed of a god, plowing into the SHADOW agent with one spectacular punch that hits hard enough to break through a tank's armor. With a mother and child threatened, Captain Wonder does not hold back.

Time slowed to the speed of cold molasses. Captain Wonder sped towards the SHADOW agent who was standing over woman and child, less than a second away from slaying both. Muscle groups shifted, bringing the two innocents into the line of fire. A finger curled around the trigger stud. Eyes narrowed in determination.

And suddenly, the man was blown sideways as though hit by a freight train. He twirled through the air like a macabre puppet hurled by a petulant child before bouncing off the ground, skidding across the grass of the park, and coming to rest barely a yard from where Frederick Fawcett had been sitting.

Katrina hazarded a look upward after a few moments when she didn't feel the piercing blast of a laser strike her. She gazed in awe at the majestic figure of Captain Wonder floating over her for a moment, then came back to herself and checked to see that her child was alright. "Matty! Are you okay? You're not hurt? Why did you run off? I was so scared!"

Matty simply started crying, overwhelmed by the events he'd been in the middle of, and Katrina cradled the boy in her arms, crying along with him. She looked up at Captain Wonder again, tears in her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered reverently. "Thank you so much."

Time slowed to the speed of cold molasses. Captain Wonder sped towards the SHADOW agent who was standing over woman and child, less than a second away from slaying both. Muscle groups shifted, bringing the two innocents into the line of fire. A finger curled around the trigger stud. Eyes narrowed in determination.

And suddenly, the man was blown sideways as though hit by a freight train. He twirled through the air like a macabre puppet hurled by a petulant child before bouncing off the ground, skidding across the grass of the park, and coming to rest barely a yard from where Frederick Fawcett had been sitting.

Katrina hazarded a look upward after a few moments when she didn't feel the piercing blast of a laser strike her. She gazed in awe at the majestic figure of Captain Wonder floating over her for a moment, then came back to herself and checked to see that her child was alright. "Matty! Are you okay? You're not hurt? Why did you run off? I was so scared!"

Matty simply started crying, overwhelmed by the events he'd been in the middle of, and Katrina cradled the boy in her arms, crying along with him. She looked up at Captain Wonder again, tears in her eyes. "Thank you," she whispered reverently. "Thank you so much."

"Just doing my job, ma'am," says Captain Wonder with reassuring warmth and gravity. He reaches down and offers her his hand. Fred Fawcett's doubts about this moment seem very far away just now. "As long as the people need heroes, we'll be there. Are you and your family all right?"

"Just doing my job, ma'am," says Captain Wonder with reassuring warmth and gravity. He reaches down and offers her his hand. Fred Fawcett's doubts about this moment seem very far away just now. "As long as the people need heroes, we'll be there. Are you and your family all right?"

"Yes, yes, we're fine, thanks to you." Katrina wiped away one of her tears with the back of her hand. "Aren't we, Matty?" The little boy looked up at Captain Wonder and tried to hide himself behind one of his mother's arms. "Say thank you to the nice man, Matty."

Shyly, and more than a little hiccupy from the excitement, Matty mumbled, "Thanks," before burying himself back into his mother's dress. Katrina gave Captain Wonder one last grateful smile. "Thank you again. I'll never forget this... I'm sorry, I don't know your name."

"Yes, yes, we're fine, thanks to you." Katrina wiped away one of her tears with the back of her hand. "Aren't we, Matty?" The little boy looked up at Captain Wonder and tried to hide himself behind one of his mother's arms. "Say thank you to the nice man, Matty."

Shyly, and more than a little hiccupy from the excitement, Matty mumbled, "Thanks," before burying himself back into his mother's dress. Katrina gave Captain Wonder one last grateful smile. "Thank you again. I'll never forget this... I'm sorry, I don't know your name."

"I'm Captain Wonder." Unexpectedly, saying the name almost brings a tear to the old man's eyes. But he carefully fights that urge; what kind of man cries in front of a woman and little kid? Instead he smiles, floating up a little in the air, the sun playing off the gold in his costume as his short cape flies behind him. "You be a good boy now, and listen to your mother. I'll be...up there."

He turns back and faces the crowd, his eyes passing over the black kid in the bandit's mask, his colorful ally with the odd grammar, before he settles on the bizarre punk-rocker-looking man in the black mask. With the day saved and no serious injuries in the crowd, Captain Wonder is free to do what he started this entire affair for.

"You." He flies over the man, keeping the sun behind him, and points. "Star, or whatever you call yourself. What on Earth were you thinking?" Admittedly, he'd probably be less irritable if his jaw didn't still ache.

"I'm Captain Wonder." Unexpectedly, saying the name almost brings a tear to the old man's eyes. But he carefully fights that urge; what kind of man cries in front of a woman and little kid? Instead he smiles, floating up a little in the air, the sun playing off the gold in his costume as his short cape flies behind him. "You be a good boy now, and listen to your mother. I'll be...up there."

He turns back and faces the crowd, his eyes passing over the black kid in the bandit's mask, his colorful ally with the odd grammar, before he settles on the bizarre punk-rocker-looking man in the black mask. With the day saved and no serious injuries in the crowd, Captain Wonder is free to do what he started this entire affair for.

"You." He flies over the man, keeping the sun behind him, and points. "Star, or whatever you call yourself. What on Earth were you thinking?" Admittedly, he'd probably be less irritable if his jaw didn't still ache.

Katrina nodded, mostly to herself, as her hero flew away. She stood up with Matty standing in front of her, hands on the boy's shoulders. "Did you see him, Matty? That's a real hero."

Matty just nodded... then tugged on his mother's dress a couple moments later. "Can I get some ice cream?"

She sighed. "Yes, you can get some ice cream."

Megastar shielded his eyes from the harsh glare coming from behind Captain Wonder. He grimaced in irritation as his jaw clicked when he tried to snort derisively. "We were handling it when you showed up, grandpa," He floated up to his detractor's level and looked his directly in the eye. "And who the hell are you supposed to be, anyway? The Elvis impersonators usually stay uptown."

His friend in the black headband chuckled a bit from Megastar's insult. "Yeah, man. That hair cost you a lot? I think I seen it at Spencer's a while back."

Katrina nodded, mostly to herself, as her hero flew away. She stood up with Matty standing in front of her, hands on the boy's shoulders. "Did you see him, Matty? That's a real hero."

Matty just nodded... then tugged on his mother's dress a couple moments later. "Can I get some ice cream?"

She sighed. "Yes, you can get some ice cream."

Megastar shielded his eyes from the harsh glare coming from behind Captain Wonder. He grimaced in irritation as his jaw clicked when he tried to snort derisively. "We were handling it when you showed up, grandpa," He floated up to his detractor's level and looked his directly in the eye. "And who the hell are you supposed to be, anyway? The Elvis impersonators usually stay uptown."

His friend in the black headband chuckled a bit from Megastar's insult. "Yeah, man. That hair cost you a lot? I think I seen it at Spencer's a while back."

Having sighed with relief when Captain Wonder had saved the woman and her child, the Emissary had since then busied himself with gathering up the prone bodies of the Shadow agents, removing their weaponry, breaking it, and then bending about the vehicle they had streamed out of to serve as an impromptu corral until the police arrived and were able to haul them away properly.

He then floated over to where the three other heroes looked to be resuming whatever arguement he had seen between them, and coughed politely.

"I would point out, it would be impossible to claim that any one, or even two of us were 'handling it'. For instance, had not myself and Sonic both been here to prevent it, these men would have largely been able to flee. Yet, had Captain Wonder not been here, while we were doing so, tragedy would have struck that mother and her child. That right there, required the efforts of three at the least. And expanding further still.. if it had only been Megastar and Sonic here, given their numbers, would they not have had cover from the sheer press of them to blast into Megastar with their heavier weaponry? I would have to say, just on tactics alone, if we did not present them with so many targets, they could have focused far more damagingly, or even just successfully fled. If it was just the two of you, with so many to deal with, could you have stopped them from, say, even just firing into the crowd? My own successful involvement was only possible with the reassurance I had that I was doing so in the company of other heroes."

He took something of a thoughtful pause.

"I would add... I do not know what occured before I arrived as to why any of you had come to blows, or abandoned your companions in the middle of a fight in one unfortunate case, but to the members of the... erm... Next-Gen? I must guess that in some respect, there is an authority beyond yourselves that you answer to. A teacher, a trainer, a sponsor. Take a moment to think of them. Take a moment to think of them having beheld everything that happened here. Can you tell me, and tell me for truth, would they approve of everything done this day on your parts?"

He rubs the back of his head.

"Also, this man is one of the greatest superhuman heroes of the second world war, having fought tirelessly and relentlessly for this nation and her people, and one of the reasons it stands free this day. Do you truly feel he has not earned a right to be spoken to with some respect?"

Having sighed with relief when Captain Wonder had saved the woman and her child, the Emissary had since then busied himself with gathering up the prone bodies of the Shadow agents, removing their weaponry, breaking it, and then bending about the vehicle they had streamed out of to serve as an impromptu corral until the police arrived and were able to haul them away properly.

He then floated over to where the three other heroes looked to be resuming whatever arguement he had seen between them, and coughed politely.

"I would point out, it would be impossible to claim that any one, or even two of us were 'handling it'. For instance, had not myself and Sonic both been here to prevent it, these men would have largely been able to flee. Yet, had Captain Wonder not been here, while we were doing so, tragedy would have struck that mother and her child. That right there, required the efforts of three at the least. And expanding further still.. if it had only been Megastar and Sonic here, given their numbers, would they not have had cover from the sheer press of them to blast into Megastar with their heavier weaponry? I would have to say, just on tactics alone, if we did not present them with so many targets, they could have focused far more damagingly, or even just successfully fled. If it was just the two of you, with so many to deal with, could you have stopped them from, say, even just firing into the crowd? My own successful involvement was only possible with the reassurance I had that I was doing so in the company of other heroes."

He took something of a thoughtful pause.

"I would add... I do not know what occured before I arrived as to why any of you had come to blows, or abandoned your companions in the middle of a fight in one unfortunate case, but to the members of the... erm... Next-Gen? I must guess that in some respect, there is an authority beyond yourselves that you answer to. A teacher, a trainer, a sponsor. Take a moment to think of them. Take a moment to think of them having beheld everything that happened here. Can you tell me, and tell me for truth, would they approve of everything done this day on your parts?"

He rubs the back of his head.

"Also, this man is one of the greatest superhuman heroes of the second world war, having fought tirelessly and relentlessly for this nation and her people, and one of the reasons it stands free this day. Do you truly feel he has not earned a right to be spoken to with some respect?"

Having bristled under the insults of the kids, and obviously close to a caustic reply of his own, Wonder settled down when Emissary begins to speak. He is less surprised than he probably should be to be recognized by another superhero. Surely most people who remember their history remember him, and surely that's most people in general. He folds his arms, listening with firm agreement to someone lecturing the kids and encouraging them to speak to their elders with respect. The city is in better hands than he might have thought.

On the other hand, being concilatory at this point certainly can't hurt. He lets the insults pass, for now. He already knows they need a lesson in manners. "That thing came down right on the heads of all those people," he says, making a gesture in the direction of the dismantled aerodyne. "And then you started shooting into the crowd! Look, I'm sure you boys had good intentions, but this is no way to be a hero. You've got to use your heads." He taps his temple for emphasis.

Having bristled under the insults of the kids, and obviously close to a caustic reply of his own, Wonder settled down when Emissary begins to speak. He is less surprised than he probably should be to be recognized by another superhero. Surely most people who remember their history remember him, and surely that's most people in general. He folds his arms, listening with firm agreement to someone lecturing the kids and encouraging them to speak to their elders with respect. The city is in better hands than he might have thought.

On the other hand, being concilatory at this point certainly can't hurt. He lets the insults pass, for now. He already knows they need a lesson in manners. "That thing came down right on the heads of all those people," he says, making a gesture in the direction of the dismantled aerodyne. "And then you started shooting into the crowd! Look, I'm sure you boys had good intentions, but this is no way to be a hero. You've got to use your heads." He taps his temple for emphasis.

Megastar especially looked bored during the horrifically long speech by The Emissary. It took everything he had not to harm his own ears to block out the pontificating of the metal man. Surely firing his own MegaBlasts into his eardrums couldn't hurt as much as the sermon? After the first minute or so, he just tuned out the rest. He'd used the same technique many a time against his most dreaded of foes: his math teacher, and it had worked so far. Yeah, maybe this guy was some bigshot, but he'd have to get fed up and fly off at some point, right?

While Megastar pointedly ignored The Emissary, Sonic had the good manners to at least feign interest, albeit tenuously. But when he mentioned his and his companion's erstwhile benefactor, he sat up and took notice. Sonic elbowed Mega, who looked startled, then pointed at the metal man. "Listen up, yo," he whispered to him.

"What? Why?"

"'Cause I think he's about ta wrap it up."

Megastar snorted silently and looked at the ground. "Shoulda stayed there 'steada buggin' us," he mumbled under his breath. This earned him an even harder jab to the ribs from Sonic, with a glare accompanying it. "What?" he hissed under his breath.

"That thing came down right on the heads of all those people," he says, making a gesture in the direction of the dismantled aerodyne. "And then you started shooting into the crowd! Look, I'm sure you boys had good intentions, but this is no way to be a hero. You've got to use your heads." He taps his temple for emphasis.

Before Mega could weigh in on that particular accusation, Sonic cut in. "A'ight, you got us there. 'Cept you didn't see us tryin'a wave the thing off before it rammed the island. Yeah, it's our bad it hit here, I ain't even gonna sweat that, but when they got all up in our face, you think were what, gonna back off 'an give 'em space to take hostages? That's these dude's MO, y'know. If you really threw down with these guys back in the day, ya'll gotta know that."

"Yeah!" Mega chipped in unnecessarily. "And you saw that guy trying to shoot at the woman and kid! If we hadn't been here-"

"Chill, yo!" Sonic yelled. Then he held up his hands in surrender. "That wasn't exactly the best example there, either, y'know. Look, we screwed up. That's what it is. An' if you wanna take us down a peg, mission accomplished. But believe me, ya'll ain't got nothin' on what's comin' to us once we get back, right, 'Star?" he said meaningfully to the blue-haired powerhouse.

"Oh, crap," Megastar said, his eyes wide and fearful.

"Yeah, that." Sonic scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably. "So, what are we, 'Star?"

"...Sorry?"

"Yeah, sorry," he sighed, awaiting the judgement of the older and wiser among them. No matter how much he hated it.

Megastar especially looked bored during the horrifically long speech by The Emissary. It took everything he had not to harm his own ears to block out the pontificating of the metal man. Surely firing his own MegaBlasts into his eardrums couldn't hurt as much as the sermon? After the first minute or so, he just tuned out the rest. He'd used the same technique many a time against his most dreaded of foes: his math teacher, and it had worked so far. Yeah, maybe this guy was some bigshot, but he'd have to get fed up and fly off at some point, right?

While Megastar pointedly ignored The Emissary, Sonic had the good manners to at least feign interest, albeit tenuously. But when he mentioned his and his companion's erstwhile benefactor, he sat up and took notice. Sonic elbowed Mega, who looked startled, then pointed at the metal man. "Listen up, yo," he whispered to him.

"What? Why?"

"'Cause I think he's about ta wrap it up."

Megastar snorted silently and looked at the ground. "Shoulda stayed there 'steada buggin' us," he mumbled under his breath. This earned him an even harder jab to the ribs from Sonic, with a glare accompanying it. "What?" he hissed under his breath.

"That thing came down right on the heads of all those people," he says, making a gesture in the direction of the dismantled aerodyne. "And then you started shooting into the crowd! Look, I'm sure you boys had good intentions, but this is no way to be a hero. You've got to use your heads." He taps his temple for emphasis.

Before Mega could weigh in on that particular accusation, Sonic cut in. "A'ight, you got us there. 'Cept you didn't see us tryin'a wave the thing off before it rammed the island. Yeah, it's our bad it hit here, I ain't even gonna sweat that, but when they got all up in our face, you think were what, gonna back off 'an give 'em space to take hostages? That's these dude's MO, y'know. If you really threw down with these guys back in the day, ya'll gotta know that."

"Yeah!" Mega chipped in unnecessarily. "And you saw that guy trying to shoot at the woman and kid! If we hadn't been here-"

"Chill, yo!" Sonic yelled. Then he held up his hands in surrender. "That wasn't exactly the best example there, either, y'know. Look, we screwed up. That's what it is. An' if you wanna take us down a peg, mission accomplished. But believe me, ya'll ain't got nothin' on what's comin' to us once we get back, right, 'Star?" he said meaningfully to the blue-haired powerhouse.

"Oh, crap," Megastar said, his eyes wide and fearful.

"Yeah, that." Sonic scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably. "So, what are we, 'Star?"

"...Sorry?"

"Yeah, sorry," he sighed, awaiting the judgement of the older and wiser among them. No matter how much he hated it.