Another Road

shazam

Matty scampered off again, making a bee line for the trees where he'd seen his sister last. Apparently, his may-fly like attention span had been reached when the adults started talking. "Matty!" Katrina called out to him. "Don't you harass your sister! And stay with your father!"

She shook her head in mock exasperation. "I hope their father already scooped up Joice. So, what are you here for today? Just out enjoying the weather?" She glanced up at the overarching Centurion statue. "It takes my breath away every time I see it."

"Me too," says Fred, looking up at the statue reverently. "I was nine years old first time I heard of him, and I was watching on TV that day in '93..." He shakes his head, feeling that familiar swell in his gut. "I moved up to the city to be with mah grandkids this year, and I had to come out to pay my respects soon as I could. They don't make men like that anymore." He lets out a sigh, the closest he's going to come to strong emotions in front of a stranger. The Centurion always did move him that way.

"Good to see the boy running around like that. Kids today, they need places to run and play like this. This is a nice park; it's a good place for kids in the city. They need a touch of green, now and again."

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matty scampered off again, making a bee line for the trees where he'd seen his sister last. Apparently, his may-fly like attention span had been reached when the adults started talking. "Matty!" Katrina called out to him. "Don't you harass your sister! And stay with your father!"

She shook her head in mock exasperation. "I hope their father already scooped up Joice. So, what are you here for today? Just out enjoying the weather?" She glanced up at the overarching Centurion statue. "It takes my breath away every time I see it."

"Me too," says Fred, looking up at the statue reverently. "I was nine years old first time I heard of him, and I was watching on TV that day in '93..." He shakes his head, feeling that familiar swell in his gut. "I moved up to the city to be with mah grandkids this year, and I had to come out to pay my respects soon as I could. They don't make men like that anymore." He lets out a sigh, the closest he's going to come to strong emotions in front of a stranger. The Centurion always did move him that way.

"Good to see the boy running around like that. Kids today, they need places to run and play like this. This is a nice park; it's a good place for kids in the city. They need a touch of green, now and again."

Katrina nodded, sitting down next to Fred while looking up at the statue. "I know what you mean. The kids are too young to remember, and that's a shame. I tried to tell them about Centurion, but words were... inadequate, somehow. And both of them are crazy about these new heroes these days." Her expression turned sad. "I cried like a baby when I heard about what happened. My father had to hold me for hours."

Then she realized where she was and that she was talking to a complete stranger, and blushed in embarrassment. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Here I am, dumping my baggage on you and I don't even know you!"

She shook her head, trying to clear her earlier faux pas away. "Anyway, you said you had grandchildren. How old are they?"

(OOC: Another Notice check please. They'll get easier as time goes on, trust me. :))

Katrina nodded, sitting down next to Fred while looking up at the statue. "I know what you mean. The kids are too young to remember, and that's a shame. I tried to tell them about Centurion, but words were... inadequate, somehow. And both of them are crazy about these new heroes these days." Her expression turned sad. "I cried like a baby when I heard about what happened. My father had to hold me for hours."

Then she realized where she was and that she was talking to a complete stranger, and blushed in embarrassment. "Oh, I'm so sorry! Here I am, dumping my baggage on you and I don't even know you!"

She shook her head, trying to clear her earlier faux pas away. "Anyway, you said you had grandchildren. How old are they?"

(OOC: Another Notice check please. They'll get easier as time goes on, trust me. :))

"The heroes today just aren't the same," Fred agrees. "They do some fine, fine work, I'll give them that, but..." He shakes his head. "Look at that new Siren! Here you have a lady who's the Queen of the Seas, and she fights crime in a bikini! What kind of example is that for the kids these days? Now that new Lady Liberty, she's all right, and Johnny Rocket too. They're both living up to some proud names." He opts not to mention her outburst. After all, when the Centurion died, he cried too.

He could have held forth for a while more on his views on superheroes, but his grandkids are his other favorite topic of conversation. "My grandkids? They're my son Fred Jr's kids; William and Mary." Like a good grandfather, he reaches into his wallet to produce pictures of the smiling black-haired twins. "They're both turned thirteen this year. They're smart kids, they got a scholarship to that Claremont Academy."

(OOC: 26 on the Notice check. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1488084/)

"The heroes today just aren't the same," Fred agrees. "They do some fine, fine work, I'll give them that, but..." He shakes his head. "Look at that new Siren! Here you have a lady who's the Queen of the Seas, and she fights crime in a bikini! What kind of example is that for the kids these days? Now that new Lady Liberty, she's all right, and Johnny Rocket too. They're both living up to some proud names." He opts not to mention her outburst. After all, when the Centurion died, he cried too.

He could have held forth for a while more on his views on superheroes, but his grandkids are his other favorite topic of conversation. "My grandkids? They're my son Fred Jr's kids; William and Mary." Like a good grandfather, he reaches into his wallet to produce pictures of the smiling black-haired twins. "They're both turned thirteen this year. They're smart kids, they got a scholarship to that Claremont Academy."

Katrina giggled cutely as Fred pontificated on Siren. Although he wasn't positive, he didn't think it was just one of those fake, patronizing laughs either. She seemed to be genuinely enjoying herself. "Yes, I think so as well. Although I do admire her bravery for actually wearing something like that in public," she shook her head in amazement.

He could have held forth for a while more on his views on superheroes, but his grandkids are his other favorite topic of conversation. "My grandkids? They're my son Fred Jr's kids; William and Mary." Like a good grandfather, he reaches into his wallet to produce pictures of the smiling black-haired twins.

"Oh, they're so darling!" she cooed at the pictures. "And twins, too. That's fantastic."

"They're both turned thirteen this year. They're smart kids, they got a scholarship to that Claremont Academy."

"Ah, school," she says, nodding. "We've gotten Matty into one of the better Preschools around, but you wouldn't believe how competitive it is! It's worse than getting them into college... or at least I hope it is," she finished with another chuckle. A man ushering two children in front of him emerged from the bushes across the way, and Katrina looked over at them. "I should really get back. It was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Fawcett."

There was a faint buzzing sound that seemed to be coming closer as Katrina excused herself. Maybe it was just his ears.

Katrina giggled cutely as Fred pontificated on Siren. Although he wasn't positive, he didn't think it was just one of those fake, patronizing laughs either. She seemed to be genuinely enjoying herself. "Yes, I think so as well. Although I do admire her bravery for actually wearing something like that in public," she shook her head in amazement.

He could have held forth for a while more on his views on superheroes, but his grandkids are his other favorite topic of conversation. "My grandkids? They're my son Fred Jr's kids; William and Mary." Like a good grandfather, he reaches into his wallet to produce pictures of the smiling black-haired twins.

"Oh, they're so darling!" she cooed at the pictures. "And twins, too. That's fantastic."

"They're both turned thirteen this year. They're smart kids, they got a scholarship to that Claremont Academy."

"Ah, school," she says, nodding. "We've gotten Matty into one of the better Preschools around, but you wouldn't believe how competitive it is! It's worse than getting them into college... or at least I hope it is," she finished with another chuckle. A man ushering two children in front of him emerged from the bushes across the way, and Katrina looked over at them. "I should really get back. It was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Fawcett."

There was a faint buzzing sound that seemed to be coming closer as Katrina excused herself. Maybe it was just his ears.

Fred is feeling pretty good about himself when he sits back down, having indulged in two of his favorite activities for the day. Maybe later he'll get up and head back to his apartment in the West End; Fawcett and Batson's Freedom City office will be opening in the next few weeks, and the partner emeritus has been working overtime to make sure everything goes well. But now, he's feeling pretty comfortable. He lets his gaze follow the happy family as they walk away, thinking about better days in his own long life. And where is that noise coming from, anyway?

Fred is feeling pretty good about himself when he sits back down, having indulged in two of his favorite activities for the day. Maybe later he'll get up and head back to his apartment in the West End; Fawcett and Batson's Freedom City office will be opening in the next few weeks, and the partner emeritus has been working overtime to make sure everything goes well. But now, he's feeling pretty comfortable. He lets his gaze follow the happy family as they walk away, thinking about better days in his own long life. And where is that noise coming from, anyway?

Before long, the buzzing became a dull humming. The air seemed to become heavier somehow, like some great force was incoming. Most of the people in Riverside Park apparently didn't notice, but despite his advanced years, or perhaps because of them, Fred did. Soon, the hum gave way to a keening sound, like a mass of metal hurtling through the air at great speed. Now the people of the area had taken notice, but Fred had seen what was coming long before they had.

An aerodyne, similar to the ones seen during the Terminus Invasion, was cutting towards land from across the river, leaving great streams of water in it's wake. Plumes of smoke poured liberally from rents in it's armor in places, and it appeared that it was having difficulty just maintaining barely a meter between it and a disastrous splashdown. An open top allowed it's occupants space to fire hand held energy weapons from out of the back, lighting up the area around with strobes of killing light.

The reason for the aerodyne's distress became evident then. Two flying forms followed after the craft, firing energy weapons of their own at the vehicle. It was still too far away, but Fred could swear they were shooting without the benefit of guns, normally a prerequisite for shooting much of anything.

By now, everyone had seen what was coming, and the people's reactions ranged from awed silence to cheers and whoops. But when a bolt struck the nose of the aerodyne, and the craft veered directly towards the peninsula, those same voices of joy turned to cries of terror. The gathering crowd dispersed violently, people nearly running over each other to get away from the incoming armored vehicle. The crash when several tons of metal met the ground was nearly a physical force, even from were Fred stood, transfixed by the awesome power of it. Thick, choking clouds of dirt flew into the air, casting the entire area into darkness. All Fred could hear was people crying out for their loved ones, calling out their pain and fear, and the crunching of the massive machine as it finally settled into it's final resting place.

For what seemed like an hour, but was probably only minutes, Fred was lost to darkness, his only companion the moans of those around him. The dust parted after a time, revealing that the craft had come to a halt barely more than fifty feet away. People lay strewn about, but thankfully, their wounds appeared shallow and far between. A few people moved among the wounded, trying to help those they didn't even know, which buoyed Fred's spirits.

Then a voice, high and commanding, rang out: "You guys all done in there? Or do you need some more convincing?" Fred looked up and saw the two people he'd seen chase the aerodyne in floating above the scene. One was black, dressed in street clothes from what he could see, with a black mask covering the top part of his head. He was barely more than a kid! The other, the one who'd spoken, was in similar clothes, but had a large M emblazoned on his chest. His hair was glowing blue, the same color as his eyes. He spoke again: "You SHADOW guys better give up now! I don't wanna have to come in there!"

Silence for a moment... then the energy beams began flying anew. Black suited troops, clearly identifiable as SHADOW, began steaming out of the cracked aerodyne like ants, firing wildly at the metahumans overhead. And to Fred's horror, they were firing back, seemingly unaware or uncaring of the fact that the neo-Nazis were among innocent civilians as they fled. Explosions ripped through the park, following along with the fleeing black-cloaked figures. It was madness.

Suddenly, the scene Fred knew was gone, replaced with an ethereal throne surrounded by marble figures of heroes and heroines long since gone. Anyone else would think they were dead, but Fred knew exactly were he was.

A figure lifted itself from the throne, rising on massive legs to reveal the same African man that had offered him power so long ago. Years gone by meant nothing to the god of Egypt, so he appeared just as he had the first time Fred had seen him. He raised one wizened, but ultimately powerful arm, and pointed it directly at him.

"Frederick Fawcett," he boomed, though his voice never rose above a murmur, "You have been summoned."

Before long, the buzzing became a dull humming. The air seemed to become heavier somehow, like some great force was incoming. Most of the people in Riverside Park apparently didn't notice, but despite his advanced years, or perhaps because of them, Fred did. Soon, the hum gave way to a keening sound, like a mass of metal hurtling through the air at great speed. Now the people of the area had taken notice, but Fred had seen what was coming long before they had.

An aerodyne, similar to the ones seen during the Terminus Invasion, was cutting towards land from across the river, leaving great streams of water in it's wake. Plumes of smoke poured liberally from rents in it's armor in places, and it appeared that it was having difficulty just maintaining barely a meter between it and a disastrous splashdown. An open top allowed it's occupants space to fire hand held energy weapons from out of the back, lighting up the area around with strobes of killing light.

The reason for the aerodyne's distress became evident then. Two flying forms followed after the craft, firing energy weapons of their own at the vehicle. It was still too far away, but Fred could swear they were shooting without the benefit of guns, normally a prerequisite for shooting much of anything.

By now, everyone had seen what was coming, and the people's reactions ranged from awed silence to cheers and whoops. But when a bolt struck the nose of the aerodyne, and the craft veered directly towards the peninsula, those same voices of joy turned to cries of terror. The gathering crowd dispersed violently, people nearly running over each other to get away from the incoming armored vehicle. The crash when several tons of metal met the ground was nearly a physical force, even from were Fred stood, transfixed by the awesome power of it. Thick, choking clouds of dirt flew into the air, casting the entire area into darkness. All Fred could hear was people crying out for their loved ones, calling out their pain and fear, and the crunching of the massive machine as it finally settled into it's final resting place.

For what seemed like an hour, but was probably only minutes, Fred was lost to darkness, his only companion the moans of those around him. The dust parted after a time, revealing that the craft had come to a halt barely more than fifty feet away. People lay strewn about, but thankfully, their wounds appeared shallow and far between. A few people moved among the wounded, trying to help those they didn't even know, which buoyed Fred's spirits.

Then a voice, high and commanding, rang out: "You guys all done in there? Or do you need some more convincing?" Fred looked up and saw the two people he'd seen chase the aerodyne in floating above the scene. One was black, dressed in street clothes from what he could see, with a black mask covering the top part of his head. He was barely more than a kid! The other, the one who'd spoken, was in similar clothes, but had a large M emblazoned on his chest. His hair was glowing blue, the same color as his eyes. He spoke again: "You SHADOW guys better give up now! I don't wanna have to come in there!"

Silence for a moment... then the energy beams began flying anew. Black suited troops, clearly identifiable as SHADOW, began steaming out of the cracked aerodyne like ants, firing wildly at the metahumans overhead. And to Fred's horror, they were firing back, seemingly unaware or uncaring of the fact that the neo-Nazis were among innocent civilians as they fled. Explosions ripped through the park, following along with the fleeing black-cloaked figures. It was madness.

Suddenly, the scene Fred knew was gone, replaced with an ethereal throne surrounded by marble figures of heroes and heroines long since gone. Anyone else would think they were dead, but Fred knew exactly were he was.

A figure lifted itself from the throne, rising on massive legs to reveal the same African man that had offered him power so long ago. Years gone by meant nothing to the god of Egypt, so he appeared just as he had the first time Fred had seen him. He raised one wizened, but ultimately powerful arm, and pointed it directly at him.

"Frederick Fawcett," he boomed, though his voice never rose above a murmur, "You have been summoned."

His heart already pounding in his chest at the sight of the super-battle, Fred's tongue briefly sticks to the roof of his mouth in shock at the sight of this room. It's all happening again; it's all happening again...Vividly, he remembers the first time he saw it as a boy, when mighty Atum-Ra gave him the power of Captain Wonder. And he remembers the last time as well, when he tore the pyramid from his chest and vowed never again to take upon the powers of a god.

Remembering those moments make Fred's brief stab of fear fade, and he faces the leader of the Ogdoad with respect rather than terror. After all, he's been here before. "Mighty Atum-Ra! I stand before you as a man," he calls, his reedy voice echoing on hieroglyphic walls that stretch up into eternity above him. "The people below, they need your succor! Why do you summon me, and not those who need your aid?"

With a dawning surety, Fred knows the answer to that. But he is too proud to beg, not when he's said the words he's already said. Would it be so dangerous? Just long enough to save those people, and get those maniacs away from the park...

His heart already pounding in his chest at the sight of the super-battle, Fred's tongue briefly sticks to the roof of his mouth in shock at the sight of this room. It's all happening again; it's all happening again...Vividly, he remembers the first time he saw it as a boy, when mighty Atum-Ra gave him the power of Captain Wonder. And he remembers the last time as well, when he tore the pyramid from his chest and vowed never again to take upon the powers of a god.

Remembering those moments make Fred's brief stab of fear fade, and he faces the leader of the Ogdoad with respect rather than terror. After all, he's been here before. "Mighty Atum-Ra! I stand before you as a man," he calls, his reedy voice echoing on hieroglyphic walls that stretch up into eternity above him. "The people below, they need your succor! Why do you summon me, and not those who need your aid?"

With a dawning surety, Fred knows the answer to that. But he is too proud to beg, not when he's said the words he's already said. Would it be so dangerous? Just long enough to save those people, and get those maniacs away from the park...

"It is because of those who you protected before that I summon you now," the god rumbled, his voice sounding slightly more normal now. "Once, you were a great champion of man, the greatest of creatures. I entrusted you with all the power of a god, something no other mortal can claim. But you know all this."

He walked down the steps of his throne, and the entire room seemed to tremble before his very footfalls. "You know well why I do not intercede on man's behalf, why I cannot. There are rules, even for those such as I. My directly aiding the people of your world would result in a catastrophe the likes of which even the greatest minds could bare stand to contemplate. This is why I needed a champion, a mortal conduit for my power." Atum-Ra stopped before Frederick, towering over the elderly man at a full eight feet in height.

"Know that the gods are not blind to the tribulations of man," he said, raising one finger in gentle reprimand and to reassure Fred at at once. "And if I could, know also that my place would be beside your so-called 'superheroes'. But that can never be." At the end of his speech, Fred could almost hear... disappointment? in Atum-ra's voice.

"My place is here, just as yours is there. Which is why I ask you, Frederick Fawcett, pick up the mantle you cast aside. Become that which you once would have given anything to be."

He held up one hand to forestall any immediate answer. "But consider this offer carefully. Once struck, I will allow no further half-measures on your part. Your petty disillusionment with the affairs of your fellow man means nothing in the face of the needs of justice. What this means is that you will be endowed with the power of Captain Wonder until your dying day, as all mortals must. Setting your burden aside is not an option. I have given you nearly half the lifetime of one of your people to realize your mistake, Frederick Fawcett." His eyes flashed with a sudden burst of flame.

"I will not be made to regret my choice of champion again."

Atum-Ra turned and walked back to his throne before settling back into the massive stone chair. "Your answer, Frederick."

"It is because of those who you protected before that I summon you now," the god rumbled, his voice sounding slightly more normal now. "Once, you were a great champion of man, the greatest of creatures. I entrusted you with all the power of a god, something no other mortal can claim. But you know all this."

He walked down the steps of his throne, and the entire room seemed to tremble before his very footfalls. "You know well why I do not intercede on man's behalf, why I cannot. There are rules, even for those such as I. My directly aiding the people of your world would result in a catastrophe the likes of which even the greatest minds could bare stand to contemplate. This is why I needed a champion, a mortal conduit for my power." Atum-Ra stopped before Frederick, towering over the elderly man at a full eight feet in height.

"Know that the gods are not blind to the tribulations of man," he said, raising one finger in gentle reprimand and to reassure Fred at at once. "And if I could, know also that my place would be beside your so-called 'superheroes'. But that can never be." At the end of his speech, Fred could almost hear... disappointment? in Atum-ra's voice.

"My place is here, just as yours is there. Which is why I ask you, Frederick Fawcett, pick up the mantle you cast aside. Become that which you once would have given anything to be."

He held up one hand to forestall any immediate answer. "But consider this offer carefully. Once struck, I will allow no further half-measures on your part. Your petty disillusionment with the affairs of your fellow man means nothing in the face of the needs of justice. What this means is that you will be endowed with the power of Captain Wonder until your dying day, as all mortals must. Setting your burden aside is not an option. I have given you nearly half the lifetime of one of your people to realize your mistake, Frederick Fawcett." His eyes flashed with a sudden burst of flame.

Atum-Ra turned and walked back to his throne before settling back into the massive stone chair. "Your answer, Frederick."

"I..." Fred looks down at liver-spotted hands, and remembers it all. The joy of flying, the thrill of victory over terrible enemies. He'd loved every moment of it. But the world has changed so much since the days of Captain Wonder; so many friends have died, so much has changed about right and wrong and good and evil in the world of the 21st century. Fifty-five years... Fred remembers his wives; his kids and grandkids, the joys and sorrows of being a husband and father three times over. He remembers his dead friends too; Mark and Alexander and all the rest, dead and gone with their virtue intact. And he remembers his own parents, who lived and died without ever knowing their son had been the greatest hero of the city of Memphis.

What finally settles it isn't the mighty god before him, or even the memory of the people in Riverside park. He remembers Mark Leeds, his best friend, the last night he saw him alive. It was 1986; and Mark, a new widower, had come to his old friend's house after being driven out of Freedom City by the Moore Act. Fred, himself recently divorced for the third time, had asked Mark why he still wore the uniform. The Centurion couldn't even visit his own wife's grave in Freedom City, and was likely to be booed by the mayor's goons if he showed up on the wrong day. Why keep fighting?

It doesn't matter if the people reject you, or even if they've lost their way entirely. What matters is that you know what's right, and that you teach them to value truth and justice again.

The memories pass through Fred's head in a moment. He has only one answer for Atum-Ra, and that answer is a single word.

"SHIM-RA!"

"I..." Fred looks down at liver-spotted hands, and remembers it all. The joy of flying, the thrill of victory over terrible enemies. He'd loved every moment of it. But the world has changed so much since the days of Captain Wonder; so many friends have died, so much has changed about right and wrong and good and evil in the world of the 21st century. Fifty-five years... Fred remembers his wives; his kids and grandkids, the joys and sorrows of being a husband and father three times over. He remembers his dead friends too; Mark and Alexander and all the rest, dead and gone with their virtue intact. And he remembers his own parents, who lived and died without ever knowing their son had been the greatest hero of the city of Memphis.

What finally settles it isn't the mighty god before him, or even the memory of the people in Riverside park. He remembers Mark Leeds, his best friend, the last night he saw him alive. It was 1986; and Mark, a new widower, had come to his old friend's house after being driven out of Freedom City by the Moore Act. Fred, himself recently divorced for the third time, had asked Mark why he still wore the uniform. The Centurion couldn't even visit his own wife's grave in Freedom City, and was likely to be booed by the mayor's goons if he showed up on the wrong day. Why keep fighting?

It doesn't matter if the people reject you, or even if they've lost their way entirely. What matters is that you know what's right, and that you teach them to value truth and justice again.

The memories pass through Fred's head in a moment. He has only one answer for Atum-Ra, and that answer is a single word.

"SHIM-RA!"