Hitting the Books (IC)

Raveled

It took Gwen a moment to process Brian's last remark. "Hm? Oh, no! I'm not one of them." Gwen began to clarify. "My parents began traveling the world with me when I was seven years old, I was home schooled and got to explore some of the most amazing places on earth." Gwen opened her cellphone and showed Brian the background photo. Gwen was front and center and behind her was an olive skin, long brown hair hazel eyed woman and a tall red haired man with pale blue eyes and freckled skin. It was hard to dispute that they were her parents. "I did get to know some of the families and children, everyone was happy. Some families who send their children out when they're older do keep in contact, they write letters or become benefactors for the villages they're from. It's not all bad." Gwen squeezed Brian's hand. "See, it doesn't always end badly.

Brian felt a pressure on his chest that he hadn't been aware of ease off. "I'm just saying that people shouldn't have to choose between selling their kids or having enough food to eat. I mean, it's the twenty-first century, not the damn medieval period." His free hand clenched into a fist. "It makes me want to punch somebody."

Before long the pair of teens were inside the garden, under the shadow of overhanging tree branches. Brian found a stone bench and sat down, pulling Gwen down next to him. "I like this place," he said quietly, looking up at the trees. "It's... quiet. Peaceful. No matter what's going on, I can come here and relax." Still staring up at the trees, his free hand moved slowly to take Gwen's. He didn't try to squeeze it or anything; just sat there quietly next to this beautiful, smart girl, heart pounding in his chest and willing this moment not to end.

Gwen looked at her shoes. "If it helps, that is what my parents and I were doing. We traveled around teaching people how to farm without ruining their lands, how to make the best of their harvest and the best local fruits and vegetables to grow for the most profit." She looked up at the sky too, almost as if the was listening for something. The whispers of plants all around her, chatting to each other about the students who had walked by, about the weather... it would seem as if she was deep in thought. Touchy Touchy! the vines started teasing Gwen and it took a little more work to push their thoughts aside.

The silence stretched between the two teens, filled with the whisper of tree leaves blowing and the sound of lapping water from the zen garden next door. After a minute or so Brian scooted closer on the bench so that his knee was touching Gwen's. "Listen, Gwen. You're a great girl, and frankly I think you're beautiful. I know we just met each other and I know that you're new here, and I know that you're supposed to be tutoring me but... Would you like to go catch a movie or something?" He looked in her eyes, searching for some reaction. "Maybe get some coffee?"

Gwen could feel Brian's leg brush against her jeans. There was another sensation she couldn't explain and the vines flowered again, this time bright yellow roses. "I don't think I have ever--" Gwen searched for a word. "..,clicked, with someone like this before." The vines curled up at Gwen's ear and flowered a pale blue starflower as if it were accent her hair. Their voice in her head was silent, a trait she was thankful for at the moment for if they said anything she might just turn into a tomato rather than just turn red. She raised her free hand and touched the flower, Gwen turned to looked into Brian's eyes. The colors were amazingly unique and she was lost in them for a moment. "I'd like that a lot."

Brian was floored by Gwen's words. "I... I've never heard anyone say anything like that to me," he said. "But I think you're beautiful, and brilliant, and I think you've done more in your life already than I maybe ever will, and I want to hear all about it." He leaned forward and brushed his lips against Gwen's, lightly, tentatively. He pulled back, his heart pounding in his chest. "I'm sorry," he said, a touch breathlessly. "I think I had to try that, or I was going to go crazy." He stood up, even if he couldn't seem to let go of her hands. "I think we should get back to the library."

Gwen's cheeks turned pink at his words and almost had an equally kind reply when she saw him moving in. She didn't want to stop him. His lips touched hers in the slightest of brushes. She felt a heat rush through her and she blushed bright red. The vines fed off her emotional reaction and they burst into bright red and pink starflowers some flowed below her skin and others burst into reality just above her skin. "I... yes... I think... we should get back to studying now." Gwen's breathing slowed back to normal and her pulse began to even out but there was still an excitement traveling through her.