Matside Meetings (IC)

Aoiroo

John glanced at the light green line her blade had made across his shoulder. "You avoided a killing blow. You do not have to do that." His blue eyes focused on Etain, "I am not one to worry about such things as injured pride or honor."

He quickly changed the grip on his sword and did a wide cut, trying to make her eyes follow the tassel as he attempted to disappear in her peripheral vision.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is not a matter of pride, just the distinction this realm carries that a lethal approach to attacks are not appropriate for most opponents. Though I suppose, since these things are not lethal,"

She watched as John disappeared from sight but did not worried. Taking a few seconds to breath, she spun around with precise grace and slashed her sword out in a heavy full body blow which at the aimed level made the intangable sword sweep right through the neck leaving a clean straight green line around the entire neck that split across the jugular and Adams apple,

"Perhaps I should just take to the warriors strike instead of the pasifists."

John felt the sword pass through his neck with a tingle, and let loose a sharp laugh followed by a genuine smile. "Ha! Indeed that is and should be the case, as you have just proved beyond the shadow of a doubt."

John gave her a small bow. "I yield to your superior skills and swordsmanship, Miss Etain. I have never seen a sword used with such grace." He rubbed his neck, with a smile still on his face "This would be the reason I wear armor out in the field," John idly noted.

She bowed back as she sheathed the sword and gave him a smile,

"John, if we were to meet on opposite sides of the field, the armor you wear will hardly protect you from the likes of me."

She let out a light laugh,

"But than again, no need to discuss the improbable. I would never raise a sword to you if I was not absolutely certian you would not be harmed. There are quicker and simpler methods to bring someone to their knees after all."

He nodded sagely. "That may be the case Miss Etain. However I am not one to delude myself that this," he gave a sweeping gesture encompassing the training room, "is anything remotely like the situations would be like on an actual field of battle."

He sat down on the mat, swiping the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand.

"Likewise, I do not wish to raise a weapon against the people I call friends, including you Miss Etain. But I am one who is very well experienced in the fickle nature of combat, and am not like most of the students here." He chose his next words very carefully. "They do not realize what it is like to be forced to kneel."

John focused on the jian, and it slowly changed into a tasseled spear. "Let us mix some things up a bit, shall we?"

She smiled as she dropped the sword to the side retaining her natural noncombative stance.

"Please, show me what you can do."

Watching quietly she retained the smile as she looked over the intrecacies of the spear. Something so similiar to her own powers, though really the difference was that hers was merely a mock representation. They didn't have substance, they didn't have weight. Her only real weapon was her sword, and it was that that she prized most. Otherwise, really she was always fighting unarmed and now was no different.

"I prefer not to spar with the usual pragmatism I employ in combat, but since you have requested it..." John looked at Etain, and she could see his features slip into a cold and detached professional demeanor a split second before the spear slammed into her left leg, knocking her to a knee. He was already on his feet and moving behind her the same time her knee hit the mat. A brutally efficient killing blow immediately followed, the spearhead exiting her chest where her heart would be located. The force of the spears' forward momentum caused it to be embedded deep into the protective mat with a dull thunk. "...I will demonstrate."

Eve had a busy summer.

It saw three of her friends graduate and leave the school, but not before they faced down the Lord of Entropy, and it restored a measure of her self-confidence. Later at the request of Headmaster Summers she devoted a few days to jet-setting around the globe and picking up some new students (but nothing is ever simple, and she had her share of adventures along the way). And lastly there was the whole business with Doktor Archeville.

It was what American's called a working vacation, and it left the petite gymnast with considerably less personal time than she would have liked. Especially since she met someone a few months back that she couldn't shake from her mind, not that she wanted to, but her busy summer left her no time to get to know the other girl better.

Eve entered the gym with a spring in her step and humming a quiet little tune, but the scene before her froze her mid stride.

There was Etain.

She was pinned to the mat by a spear.

And the spear was held by spear held by...

With an inarticulate cry of rage the telepath launched herself across the floor space, ribbon like wings of ethereal fire erupting from her shoulders and a slender crimson blade forming in her hand.

Etain was shocked as well as impressed by the precise landing of the attack as the spear harmless entered her chest. She was also far more shocked as she heard the cry of rage and found her eyes locked on Eve. Standing up immediately moving through the less than corporal spear. She pulled John to the side preparing to dodge any attack by the petite telepath before yelling,

"Eve, stop!"

Her voice echoed far more than it should of in the large gym, even if her ears were plugged she would of heard it as she was within the rage of Etain's power so no cry or sound could block her out.

John was about to help Etain up off the mat when the killing intent from the other psion lashed out at him both physically and mentally. Etain shoved him to the side, and placed herself in the line of fire. John backpedaled a few steps from Etains' shove and entered a low defensive stance, a glowing blade held at the ready. He then finally had enough time to get a decent look at his assailant, and his eyes widened in recognition. Martel, Eve. SHADOW Dossier #437...John quickly terminated that line of thought and wondered why she had attacked him now of all times. He had passed her a few times at Claremont to his recollection...that was when his realized that he was not wearing his sunglasses. He had taken them off to spar with Miss Etain.

"Foxtrot."

Wait, what?

Etain's shout and sudden movement allowed reason to break through the telepath's surging emotions. Eve landed on the ground several feet away from the other two students, her ethereal wings vanishing as abruptly as they had appeared though the slender blade of telekinetic force remained, glowing a light blue. Though from the set of her features anger was still evident, confusion was also etched on the gymnast's face, as well as relief.

"Etain you... I thought..." Eve said, her quiet French-accented soprano quavered slightly. The telepath shook her head, fighting to keep her voice level as well as the urge to embrace the other girl.

"Why are you protecting OverShadow?"

"We were just sparring and, wait, Overshadow?"

She glanced around looking right over John before looking at Eve,

"Is he here? We should tell the headmaster right?"

With a thoroughly confused look she looked over at John,

"Why do you have a knife, did you see this Overshadow person? He is a bad guy is he not, why would he be at Claremont?"

John dismissed the knife and stood up, a beleaguered look on his face. "You do not need to inform Mister Summers, because he already knows." he said with a sigh.

"As for Overshadow, he is I...in a manner of speaking." He stepped around Etain, so she no longer shielded him. "As for being at Claremont, that answer I can tell you. To posses the ability of having a choice."

John stared down the petite Martel. "I will gladly follow you to the Headmasters' office and let him explain the nature of my presence here, but I will not abide it being common knowledge. That would put everyone at risk, and that is an unacceptable outcome. Those are my terms, Miss Martel. I know that your abilities would easily allow you to rip my memories from me, but I wish to spare Miss Etain and yourself from their...vividness."

He looked at the confused Etain, regret on his face. "I am sorry that you had to find out this way. I would have preferred to tell you and the others on my own terms, Miss Etain." John picked up his sunglasses which were nearby and slid them on.

"If it would make you more comfortable, Miss Martel; Miss Etain can shackle my powers if you think it would be wise. Please, lead on." John said, gesturing at the doorway.

"That is unnecessary."

Eve made a casual, dismissive motion with the hand holding the slender blade of telekinetic force, the triangular blade unraveling into mist and vanishing. That same hand was now massaging her temple, the telepath suddenly looking so very tired.

"You believe what you are telling me, and that is enough. And while you are correct in saying that I could very easily rip from your mind the information I desire that is not my way. We are not enemies and you are not being interrogated." She scrubbed a hand through her chin length white hair and gave John an apologetic look.

"It has been a hellish summer, one nightmare after another making me curse my memory. When I saw the spear... when I saw your--his--face..." her voice got quiet as she shifted her gaze to Etain.

"I thought he killed you, Etain."

Looking at John she frowned,

"You are not him though yes? Maybe you are similiar, but it really does not matter, you have done nothing wrong nor do I think you will. The links to this Overshadow person does not in fact overshadow who you are as a person, and you are a good person."

Returning her smile, she stepped forward and pulled Eve into a hug.

"I am sorry that you had to find the most inopportune moment to witness our sparring match, and also that you think I am so very easy to kill. Maybe if you join us, I can show you how incredibly difficult such a task is."

She pulled back from the hug and looked over at John,

"Do you mind? Maybe a third person would make the chances a little more fair. I may even use my powers if you would like a proper demonstration of what I am capable of."

John looked dumbfounded as he looked back and forth between the two women. "You are being serious? No reparations? This is an unexpected outcome."

Gathering his thoughts so he could mentally compose and enunciate more than small sentences, he ran a hand through his hair. "Thank you both for your generosity and understanding. I still will have to inform Headmaster Summers that you both know about my situation. Miss Martel, I am sorry that I have caused you undue strife."

At the offer of 3 person training he thought about it, and decided it would be the best way to let this incident pass. Even if he was up against a master fencer and a acrobat. "I would be most enlightened to see the demonstration, Miss Etain. I would also enjoy the opportunity to see a member of the Martel family in combat as well." John paused for a second. "However, it would not be prudent for myself not to extend to you both the same courtesy as well."

Eve visibly relaxed when Etain pulled her into a hug and she responded in kind, folding the illusionist in a close embrace and brushing the cheek of the dark haired teen with her own. When they pulled apart Eve was smiling at the other woman.

"It's not that I think you're easy to kill, Etain," she said after a moment. "It's just, well, the past few months have been trying. I promise I'll fill you in later," she said, a note of weariness creeping into her voice. She gave her head a little toss, white hair fanning out as she pulled her attention to the present, and the offer being made.

"Let me get warmed up and then I will join you both," she replied after a moment of consideration and turned to retrieve her gym bag she left near the door.

-I've missed you,- she added mentally, directing her thoughts at Etain.

Etain smiled as she felt the warmth of Eves voice, a voice that had previously been hidden in the recesses of the girls mind. Smiled as she looked back at her,

"It has been a busy month for everyone I am certian. Things in this city, they like to make it difficult."

She turned to John,

"But I am glad that nothing bad came of it. Also,"

She turned to Eve and gave her a quick peck on the cheek before she left,

"Je vous ai manqué aussi."

John nodded his thanks to Etain and Eve, before his mind went to solving the problem it had been presented. Two foes, both very fast, and very hard to pin down. Not to mention this was a friendly bout. His powers started forming and disassembling various weapons as he weighed his options. To the other two it had appeared he had settled on a theme as the ethereal forms started appearing on both feet and arms, until it seemed he arrived at a decision. A pair of gauntlets and greaves coalesced into being, before he once again focused his attention back on the other occupants of the room.

"I am ready, whenever you are."

Eve hurried over to her bag and moved it from the doorway, stashing it alongside the wall nearest the other two students. The gymnast worked through her stretches, the same ones she has used throughout her career, taking the time to do it right and not rush through things.

"Don't wait on my account," Eve said as she watched the other two. "I asked Etain for a demonstration earlier, and I can observe better off to the side."

Then she frowned, and quirked an eyebrow at John. "I didn't catch your name."

Etain smiled at Eve before looking at John for a second,

"Alright, rules then for this exercise. The object of the game is that we just knock each other down. Now other form of attack counts, does this sound good for you John?"

She remembered this exercise, it was taught to her on the principle that a down warrier was a dead warrier. Though really, people always had such a hard time knocking her down. Though she forgot something.

"Would you mind if I were to go first this time?"

John glanced over to Eve. "I am called John Smith. Mister Daedalus seemed to find it amusing, so I kept the appellation when I was sent here."

Returning his attention back to Etain, he replied to her request. "I will try my best to weather you attacks, Miss Etain. Please begin at your convenience." He dropped into a purely defensive stance,the armored portions of his legs and arms being used as a shield.

Etain smiled at John and disappeared. Just like that, there was no fade, no effect, nothing. She was simply gone from all senses. She was there of course smiling and walking forward examining John's defenses. It was an impressive build, she reached over and slid a finger against the metal, it was definitely solid, so she guessed just testing it would do well. Taking a leg she sweep it in a wide birth into his and met a solid wall. It more than withstood her grasp, she rubbed her chin as she stood up and took a few steps away, however before she did so she wrote a little bit in the air. Glowing bits appeared to John and they said,

Your turn.

The gymnast halted mid-stretch when the illusionist vanished from sight and frowned. Etain wasn't just gone from her sight Eve instantly realized, but she was gone from her mind as well, Eve could no longer sense the other girl's mind.

This was somewhat disconcerting to the telepath; even those who were resistant to her mental probing could still be sensed so to Eve the lack of mental connection was synonymous to death. Well that's a pleasant thought, Eve thought to herself as an involuntary shiver passed through her body.

"Etain," Eve called quietly, "How am I supposed to admire, err, observe you in action if I can't see you?"

There was a slight pause between when the question was asked before words appeared in orange air writing in front of Eve,

That is how I am in action, I am very good at just not being seen. Also, I could make myself visible to you but then your eyes would follow my movements and would tip John off to my location and that would be no good. John has excellant attention to detail in that sense.

Whilst these words were being written there was another small feature to the overall illusion, inbetween space between the upper ear back and head appeared in full bloom a white rose weight and all blooming.