World Tour: Way to Go, Wendigo! (OOC)

Gizmo

What a bunch of shmot guys!

Corbin is familiar enough with North American history to have a firm grasp of Thunder Bay's history, first as fur trading posts, bolstered by the Canadian Pacific Railway and eventually amalgamated into the current city in 1970. It's now a sort of hub for Northern Ontario, with all the services, government buildings, schools and so on that smaller, more remote communities might not have themselves.

More immediately relevant, he knows that Northern Canada has had a reputation (in-setting) for the supernatural for centuries; not flashy, fireball slinging type stuff, but beasties that shouldn't exist. Most of that was considered folk tales for a long time, but in today's increasingly metahuman world, those stories are given a little more credence, and Thunder Bay is right along the Southern edge of that supposed zone of strangeness. Without an Arcana check, however, he doesn't know any specifics, or which stories may have more truth to them than others.

I'm assuming Sharl has access to any information about Canada, Thunder Bay, the airport and the surrounding area that he could dig up on Wikipedia, to start with. He knows Canadian money is pretty colours, that Tim Horton's is a coffee shop chain named after a hockey player, and so on. How much context he has for any of that is up to you, AA. If he's looking for any references to the specific location on the map, he'll find that it's a in an area fairly popular for camping and hiking, dotted with the occasional cabin. He'll also find that that specific area has become less popular in the past fifteen years or so, though it doesn't seem to say anywhere just why that might be. Every few years someone goes missing while out there, true, but usually tourists who aren't familiar with the winter weather and the woods in general.

Sage gets an Auto-30 Sense Motive against the information desk attendant, and can easily tell that she's a little spooked. She's only maybe a year or two older than they are, probably working at the airport during her summer vacation. She's not terrified by the location on the map or anything, just the sort of hesitation even perfectly rational people get when they're about to walk under a ladder or jinx themselves. It doesn't seem important enough for her to say anything to them unbidden, but there are some definite heebie jeebies at work.

Yeah, Indira can't justify even an untrained check on most Earthly things, so I'm not even gonna try there.

She knows it's called Canada, hockey's big there, and the trees probably don't try to eat you! Probably. Earth trees don't do that, right?

The group in now under a Partial Obscure effect on radio senses and Extreme Cold.

Everyone not Immune to cold needs to make a DC 10 Fort Save or suffer 1 point of temporary Constitution damage. AA, I trust you'd know better than I what effect the Obscure would have on Sharl.

Wraith: Sharl just swore in Lor, but he's got an accent she doesn't recognize. Give me a DC 20 History check for more.

Sharl goes Insubstantial.

Knowledge (History) check, DC20 (untrained) (1d20 + 3=19)

So close. Not sure what DCs she can hit untrained, anyway (no book!)...she's not a very good history student, it seems.

EDIT:

Sense Motive roll vs. ???? (1d20 + 1=21)

Wraith knows all about your meaty and/or ghostly ways! All your ways.

Okay, what they get out of that Sense Motive check is going to depend a little on where they are.

Citizen can tell that he's apparently dealing with a friendly ghost, not a threat.

The others all notice that Becky seems to be in bad shape. Wraith notices that her distress is at least partly physical; she's both shivering and sweating. Operating under the assumption that Sage has been paying attention the whole time, she can tell this is definitely serious. Genre-senses tingling serious.

Ghost Girl: Initiative. (1d20+3=15)

Wendigo: Initiative. (1d20+3=19)

I'm using a version of AA's Hellhound build cranked up to PL14 for the wendigo, incidentally. I'm also tossing Sage an HP for the obvious Complication.

20 - Sharl - Uninjured - 2HP

19 - Sage - Uninjured - 2HP

19 - Wendigo - Uninjured

17 - Cobalt Templar - Uninjured - 3HP

15 - Ghost Girl - Uninjured - 2HP

5 - Wraith - Uninjured - 3HP