Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

World Tour: Way to Go, Wendigo! (OOC)

Recommended Posts

Feel free to make any Knowledge, Gather Information etc. checks you think would be relevant!

Share this post


Link to post

What a bunch of shmot guys!

Corbin is familiar enough with North American history to have a firm grasp of Thunder Bay's history, first as fur trading posts, bolstered by the Canadian Pacific Railway and eventually amalgamated into the current city in 1970. It's now a sort of hub for Northern Ontario, with all the services, government buildings, schools and so on that smaller, more remote communities might not have themselves.

More immediately relevant, he knows that Northern Canada has had a reputation (in-setting) for the supernatural for centuries; not flashy, fireball slinging type stuff, but beasties that shouldn't exist. Most of that was considered folk tales for a long time, but in today's increasingly metahuman world, those stories are given a little more credence, and Thunder Bay is right along the Southern edge of that supposed zone of strangeness. Without an Arcana check, however, he doesn't know any specifics, or which stories may have more truth to them than others.

I'm assuming Sharl has access to any information about Canada, Thunder Bay, the airport and the surrounding area that he could dig up on Wikipedia, to start with. He knows Canadian money is pretty colours, that Tim Horton's is a coffee shop chain named after a hockey player, and so on. How much context he has for any of that is up to you, AA. If he's looking for any references to the specific location on the map, he'll find that it's a in an area fairly popular for camping and hiking, dotted with the occasional cabin. He'll also find that that specific area has become less popular in the past fifteen years or so, though it doesn't seem to say anywhere just why that might be. Every few years someone goes missing while out there, true, but usually tourists who aren't familiar with the winter weather and the woods in general.

Sage gets an Auto-30 Sense Motive against the information desk attendant, and can easily tell that she's a little spooked. She's only maybe a year or two older than they are, probably working at the airport during her summer vacation. She's not terrified by the location on the map or anything, just the sort of hesitation even perfectly rational people get when they're about to walk under a ladder or jinx themselves. It doesn't seem important enough for her to say anything to them unbidden, but there are some definite heebie jeebies at work.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, Indira can't justify even an untrained check on most Earthly things, so I'm not even gonna try there.

She knows it's called Canada, hockey's big there, and the trees probably don't try to eat you! Probably. Earth trees don't do that, right?

Share this post


Link to post

I took the liberty of activating Sharl's Curiosity-related complication here. (Lemme know if I'm doing a wicked deed) He's going to try and hunt through True North's servers (which he can find basically instantly with the Rapid on his Datalink) for information on a Kimber Storm.

27 on his HAAAX check.

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of which, anyone so inclined, feel free to make a Survival check or use any other skill you think seems relevant here.

Share this post


Link to post

Sharl stunts the following skill off his Flight.

Enhanced Skills 12 Survival 12 (+14) [3 pp]

(With the idea that he's using his Datalink to hook up to the local GPS network and look up some survival stuff on the side)

I'll spend an HP to cancel the Fatigue of same.

23

Let me know how that goes, Giz.

Share this post


Link to post

Groovy, AA. I'd say that's enough to make him familiar with the local flora and fauna and, in combination with the map they've been provided, figure out where they should be headed.

Share this post


Link to post

The group in now under a Partial Obscure effect on radio senses and Extreme Cold.

Everyone not Immune to cold needs to make a DC 10 Fort Save or suffer 1 point of temporary Constitution damage. AA, I trust you'd know better than I what effect the Obscure would have on Sharl.

Share this post


Link to post

Sharl suffers no mechanical effects, but didn't that look cool? He's fine now, though.

Wraith: Sharl just swore in Lor, but he's got an accent she doesn't recognize. Give me a DC 20 History check for more.

Sharl goes Insubstantial. He'll fly right through the roof and down to ground level if he's not stopped.

20 Sense Motive

Share this post


Link to post

Wraith: Sharl just swore in Lor, but he's got an accent she doesn't recognize. Give me a DC 20 History check for more.

Sharl goes Insubstantial.

Knowledge (History) check, DC20 (untrained) (1d20 + 3=19)

So close. Not sure what DCs she can hit untrained, anyway (no book!)...she's not a very good history student, it seems.

EDIT:

Sense Motive roll vs. ???? (1d20 + 1=21)

Wraith knows all about your meaty and/or ghostly ways! All your ways.

Share this post


Link to post

Hn. Well, might as well roll it...

17; not bad for only a +2 Wis mod.

Immune to cold. Not really gonna jump the gun just yet; probably let one or two others post IC first, too.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, what they get out of that Sense Motive check is going to depend a little on where they are.

Citizen can tell that he's apparently dealing with a friendly ghost, not a threat.

The others all notice that Becky seems to be in bad shape. Wraith notices that her distress is at least partly physical; she's both shivering and sweating. Operating under the assumption that Sage has been paying attention the whole time, she can tell this is definitely serious. Genre-senses tingling serious.

Share this post


Link to post

17.

Man, Corbin didn't even tempt fate this time!

EDIT: Would I need to make some sort of roll to figure out where the howl is coming from? Or, put another way, to determine "Hey...Eve flew off in that direction. She might be in trouble!"?

Share this post


Link to post

Ghost Girl: Initiative. (1d20+3=15)

Wendigo: Initiative. (1d20+3=19)

I'm using a version of AA's Hellhound build cranked up to PL14 for the wendigo, incidentally. I'm also tossing Sage an HP for the obvious Complication.

20 - Sharl - Uninjured - 2HP

19 - Sage - Uninjured - 2HP

19 - Wendigo - Uninjured

17 - Cobalt Templar - Uninjured - 3HP

15 - Ghost Girl - Uninjured - 2HP

5 - Wraith - Uninjured - 3HP

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  

×