Doc, I want to apologize for putting you in an awkward position there. I knew you were looking to prolong the fight, and even expecting a Fiat to that effect I could have waited until later to break out that power stunt. (It occurred to me a little belatedly that I could have Inspired instead of attacking, too, but that's neither here nor there.) I got excited and didn't really think it through. Sorry to back you into a corner like that.

I'm going to sleep on the IC post rather than rush it out while I'm this tired, but I will have it up before long.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since nothing's been posted IC yet, I would, as an alternative, be very amenable to a do-over for your round's actions, letting you come up with something else (something more in-genre than "break out my Finishing Move in the first round").

Example: Inspire the team, Set Up for someone else. Break out the Symbionic Titan move (which, I must repeat, is really cool) later. Or, heck, do the Titan form and then Inspire -- seeing Jack in a giant energy construct robot is sure to be heartening!

And, so Jack & Jill's "Form Giant Robot" thing (which Giz's been planning for literally months) isn't co-opted, Heri, you could have Grim join Scarab & Ferros in the "Journey into the Beast's Mind to free Dok" rather than doing Grimzilla (which, to me, doesn't seem to really fit her at all). Alternatively, do a "Wasp vs. Hulk" thing, fly inside it and blast (er, claw) at it's softer insides.

Alright, that sounds like a plan. I think I'll go with the second proposed alternative, using the power stunt now but Inspiring instead of attacking. That way I still get to do the cool visual, but everyone else gets a better opportunity to do something cool as well. Since he can inspire six teammate, the bonus goes to Dynamo, Thrude, Grimalkin, Colt, Willow and Fulcrum.

Since the attack didn't happen now, I'm going to tweak this slightly:

Blazing Sword Container [31PP]

• Strike 0 (Power Feats: Improved Critical, Mighty, Extras: Linked) [2PP]
    + Drain Fortitude 12 (Extras: Linked) [12PP]
    + Drain Toughness 18 (Extras: Linked) [18PP]
    Decreased Strength 2 [-2PP]
    Enhanced Feats 1 (Interpose) [1PP]

I'm not sure if a Concentration check is still needed for the Inspire, but we can just go with the previous reroll if it is. The Inspire costs another HP regardless.

Your consideration and flexibility are very appreciated. :)

And since Jack didn't attack, Dokthulhu didn't do the energy sponge thing, so Jack didn't get the HP for the fiat, and it's still Bruised & Staggered.

29 -- Dynamo -- undamaged -- 8 HP

28 -- Thrude -- Bruise, confused, exhausted at beginning of next round -- 6 HP

23 -- Grimalkin -- undamaged, confused -- 9 HP

18 -- Colt -- undamaged, confused -- 9 HP

10 -- R'K'Vll -- Bruised, Staggered -- NPC

08 -- Jill O'Cure -- undamaged; will be exhausted at beginning of next turn -- Sidekick + 3 HP

08 -- Jack of all Blades -- undamaged; will be exhausted at beginning of next turn -- 8 HP

08 -- Willow -- undamaged, confused -- 5 HP

07 -- Fulcrum -- undamaged, confused -- 6 HP

Willow's still up (after Giz makes his IC post)

Exxxcellent...

10 -- R'K'Vll -- Bruised, Staggered -- NPC

08 -- Jill O'Cure -- undamaged; will be exhausted at beginning of next turn -- Sidekick + 3 HP

08 -- Jack of all Blades -- undamaged; will be exhausted at beginning of next turn -- 8 HP

07 -- Fulcrum -- undamaged, confused -- 6 HP

Fulcrum's up!

Reaction: HP for save

Will Save (+12 total +5 Inspire) vs Dokthulu's DC 22 Confuse (1d20+17=35)

Free Action: Configure array to Super Strength 9 and all power feats

Standard Action: Fire Heat Vision at Dokthulhu

Heat Vision Attack (+10, +5 Inspire) vs Dokthulhu Def 21 (1d20+15=35)

Crit Confirmation vs Dokthulu (1d20+15=22)

Just looked up Inspire. The bonuses start next round. :facepalm:

Okay, the Will save still works, being a 30 total without Inspire.

The attack still initially hits, but the confirmation does not.

I'll burn a HP for a reroll on the confirmation: HP reroll crit confirm vs Dokthulhu (1d20+10=22)

There we go. DC 40 Toughness, -2 HP.

You don't need to confirm crits in M&M. A nat 20 always hits, and if it'd hit anyway, that's also a crit.

Just looked up Inspire. The bonuses start next round. :facepalm:

... yeah, that makes no sense. Take the bonus now.

(Looks like that'll be another House Rule)

There we go. DC 40 Toughness, -2 HP.

-1 HP, since you didn't need to re-roll the crit confirmation.

Toughness save, DC 40 (1d20+21=29) fails by 11, that's Stunned + Staggered (+ existing Staggered = KO'd)

Fiat to re-roll, Fulcrum gets an HP

Toughness save, DC 40; fiat re-roll (1d20+21=30) +10 = 40 = no effect

(though fluff-wise it'll look like it's taking massive damage, which quickly regenerates)

EDIT: No, better idea. It takes 1 Bruise (or 1 Injury, if Dar wants to do Lethal damage), thus showing terminus energy can harm it, and thus laying a seed for an idea for Fulcrum later in the fight.

End Round 1, Begin Round 2

10 -- R'K'Vll -- Bruised, Injured, Staggered -- NPC

07 -- Fulcrum -- undamaged -- 6 HP

Dynamo's up!

Point of note, Dynamo still has 6 HP. He was not affected by the Fiats due to not being in range therefore suffered no setback, so he shouldn't have gotten any HP.

And on that note, Dynamo is going to go ahead and continue to keep his distance on account of the others going a little crazy pants and not wanting to get caught up in that. But not having ranged attacks means he's going to have to stunt one off his Speedy Attack Array. Descriptor of picking up a bit of whatever is available and chucking it at high speed.

Strike 5 (Extras: Ranged; Flaws: Full Round Action; Feats: Mighty, Accurate 3, Penetrating 5, Improved Range 2)

Ranged Attack roll vs Dokthulu, PA 2, DC 27 Tough, Penetrating 5 (1d20+12=13) ...Dynamo did not make the baseball team as a child.

Alright, Dynamo stunts, he'll be Fatigued at the start of the next round.

29 -- Dynamo -- undamaged; will be fatigued at start of next round -- 6 HP

28 -- Thrude -- Bruise, confused, exhausted -- 6 HP

10 -- R'K'Vll -- Bruised, Injured, Staggered -- NPC

07 -- Fulcrum -- undamaged -- 6 HP

Thrude's up! And is exhausted! And confused (singing Asgardian drinking songs)! Though her homing blast is still doing its thing.

Aaaaa a week later and there's nothing. And I don't want to hold anyone else up any longer. So, new tactic, to get this resolved faster: after my next IC post, everyone else post. You don't need to post in initiative order. Post about five rounds worth of actions (this should be a long and epic fight!); after everyone's in (or 48 hours passes), I'll post something to add in Dragonfly & Nick Cimitiere's vignettes, and stuff from the other Dokthulhu thread. (Which means no killing Dokthulhu in your posts, though posting where it seems to die only to surge back to hideous life is good; do feel free to play up all manner of disgusting Body Horror moments.) Once I post that, one more 'round' of posting from everyone (possibly encompassing multiple combat rounds), then a final post from me will be the end of this combat.

Took a little artistic liberty with that post. Hope it's okay that Colt was able to hear that conversation over the radio. If you'd rather not have the thread read that way, let me know and I can edit. But I just thought it would be a neat narrative.

Alos FYI, Colt's not dead. I expect he'd survive that blow, if barely. He'll need a great deal of healing tank time / surgery after the battle, but he should be okay in the long run :)