Let there be GREEN!

Breella

old sheet under the spoiler, new sheet farther down the thread!

Ok, I made a few more edits before work-- I clearly still have some things to work on. I want to thank everyone who has offered idea, pointed things out and generally helped keep my run away absent mind in check. All your help is so appreciated. <3

~Something to note about the character: The idea I have for this character currently is that she's the spawn of an experiment in human/plant DNA hybridizing. A mutation in her DNA causes her powers. She has the ability to talk to and sense plants. She can grow vines from seeds (which I feel is a descriptor or power i'm missing somewhere ideas would be appreciated)*Thank you Super for helping me with this!* and the vines she grows from the seeds do the strike, stun, snare.

Player Name:

Character Name:

Power Level:150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: (1-2 sentences which sum up the whole character)

Alternate Identities:

Identity: (Public or Secret)

Birthplace:

Affiliations: (People and/or groups you work with)

Family:

Apparent Age: (if applicable)

Ethnicity:

Height:

Weight:

Eyes:

Hair:

Description:

Power Descriptions: (if applicable)

History: (Please remember we are a relatively family friendly site. Your story should be PG-13 at most. If your character wouldn't fit in an episode of Justice League Unlimited, The Dresden Files, or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please rethink it.)

Personality & Motivation:

Powers & Tactics:

Complications:

Over-Wintering in the absence of sunlight and water (such as in a cement prison) her body enters a hibernation period, putting her into a sleep like state until sunlight and or water contact her body.

Abilities: 10 + 0 + 20 + 4 + 4 + 0 = 38PP

Strength: 20 (+5)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 30 (+10)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 0 + 12 + 0 + 10= 22PP

Initiative: +4

Attack: +6 (+10 Plant Array)

Grapple: +16

Defense: +10 (+4 Base, +6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -5

Saving Throws: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15PP

Toughness: +10 (+10 Con)

Fortitude: +8 (+5 Con, +3)

Reflex: +6 (+0 Dex, +6)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

Skills:66R = 16PP

Climb 9 (+10)

Gather Information 9 (+9)

Knowledge:

*Life Science 13 (+15)

Medicine 13 (+15)

Notice 10 (12)

Survival 10 (+12)

Feats: 12PP

Attack Specialization 2 (Plants! Array)

Dodge Focus 6

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Precise Shot 1

Powers: 4 + 30 + 12 +4 = 50PP

Comprehend 2 (Plants) [4PP]

Plants! Array 13 (26PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 2, Triggered 2)[30PP]

• Base Power: Snare 10 (Extras:RegeneratingFeats:Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Reversible, Tether) (Vine Snare) [25PP]
    Alternate Power: Strike 6 ( Extras:Auto fire 5 Feats: Extended Reach 4, Improved Critical, Indirect 3, Mighty) (Vine Whip) [26PP]
    Alternate Power: Stun 8 (Extras: cloud Feats:Reversible, Sedation (Emit Spores) [26PP]

Regeneration 10 ( Recovery 5 (+10) Recovery rate: Injured 3 [One Minute], Disabled 2 [1 Hour], (Feats: Persistent, Regrowth, Flaws:Source (Sunlight))[12PP]

Super-Sense 4 (plant life awareness [mental, Acute, extended, ranged]) [4PP]

Drawbacks: (-4) + () = -4PP

Vulnerability (Fire, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Major [x2 DMG]) [-4PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK       RANGE              SAVE                                  EFFECT

Snare           Ranged               DC15 Reflex                      Entangled/Bound

Strike           Ranged              DC15 Toughness                 Damage (Physical)

Stun             Ranged/Area      DC15 Reflex                       1/2 Effect

DC15 Fortitude (Staged)      Dazed/Stunned/Unconscious

Abilities (38) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (15) + Skills (16) + Feats (12) + Powers (50) - Drawbacks (-4) = 149/150 Power Points

That looks like a fun character. Exotic saves look good to me mechanically - the rule of thumb here is they should average out at your PL -2, this character is just off that, which is I guess would be ok. Knockback is half your toughness normally (a few other things modify it but nothing I can see from the build so far).

The only power that, whilst working fine, I find a little hard conceptually, is the stun one - I imagine this is throwing a small sac of pollen into somebodies face, or something. Hmmm, guess that works. If its the character emitting pollen in all directions (which is actually what most plants do) that would be a zero range clould extra I guess (Same cost). I suppose its possible to have both, or even a ranged cloud stun (throwing a sac of pollen that explodes) as alternate powers.

In play the one thing you may struggle with here is lack of mobility, I guess. Of course there is no absolute requirement to have movement powers. Ones you may consider would be a few ranks of burrowing (from roots), swinging (vines), wall crawling (roots and vines) or even sure footed.

The protection power is off, if you want Impervious (I am not sure why you would, its only bark!) that is an extra. Force field isn't so much an extra or a flaw as changing the duration from permanent to sustained (making it obvious). This is the power that probably needs some mechanical work, and it depends what you want here.

She always has bark like skin (Protection 5, Drawback: Noticable) 4 PP

Her skin always is a tough as bark, but doesn't look like bark (Protection 5) 5 PP

Her skin can turn to bark (Protection 5, Sustained duration) 5 PP

Her skin can become the consistency of bark without looking like it (Protection 5, Sustained duration, subtle) 6 PP

Add another 5 PP to make it impervious (not something that makes a lot of sense to me, but there you go).

If the protection power is sustained, then it can potentially drop if she gets stunned or the like and she cant maintain the power. To work around this, either build up some skill in concentration (it would be a DC 15 concentration check to maintain it when stunned) or (more expensively) make it continuous duration for an extra 5 PP.

FInally, I am not sure about putting the Photosynthesis power in your plant manipulation array? I haven't really got enough fluff to work that out, but it may be better as a stand alone power. Depending on exactly what your character is / does, a truly vegetal constitution might have other immunities too, like immunity to all suffocation for instance (or at least immunity to strangulation! lungs and throats are for puny animals!).

Thank you for your time and help. I've made a few change to her sheet and have a few more to do before its finished for sure. As for her protection being so strong the current theory I'm working with is the character is the spawn of an experiment in hybridizing human DNA with plant DNA (thus photosynthesis, which was the aim of the experiment to stop world hunger [if all you need is water no one will starve!]) but there were a few unforeseen additions to the genetic modification process (such as the super strong bark skin effect)

Your call, of course! :D

Impervious however is still an extra, not a feat. If you want Protection 5 with Impervious Extra its 10 PP (you could of course buy Impervious for less ranks, or even more, applying them to your CON bonus).

Also noticed: there is no such skill as Knowledge: Botany. It would be Knowledge: Life Sciences. If you want to restrict that to Botany only, best bet is probably to have that as: Complication: Restricted field of Knowledge. Some GMs might allow a custom feat for such things but probably the safest bet is a complication (or alternatively just buy LIfe Sciences).

Stun Power would cost 32 PP as its: 16 PP base, +8 PP for ranged, +8 PP for the area of effect (cloud). Some possible options depending on what you want to do (your call of course! :D )

Emit Spores! (Stun 8, Extras: Cloud) 24 PP - Emits a cloud of spores around you

Throw Spores! (Stun 8, Extras: Cone) 24 PP - Throw you arm, scattering spores like a farmer sowing them in a cone in front of you.

Throw spore sac! (Stun 8, Extras: Range) 24 PP - Throw a small sac of spores into your opponents face!

Throw explosive sac of spores (Stun 6: Extras: Range, Cloud) 24 PP- Throw a whole load of spores that drop from the sky into a cloud some distance from you.

By the way, you may want to consider nauseate as an alternative to stun but its a bit of a judgement call on your part. Nauseate stacks and has a more "weaken and incapacitate" flavour, whilst stun doesnt stack and has a more "Knockout" flavour.

Incidentally, from the point of view of optimisation, there is little value in buying the "recovery 5" power. That costs 5PP.

You could get enhanced constitution 10 for 10PP, which gives the same bonus, plus +5 to toughness and +5 to fortitde (meaning you could drop ranks in those powers / abilities).

Remember you can buy ranks in impervious toughness (bark skin) even if you dont have the protection power. It is still applied to your protection power.

Climb 9 (+10)

Gather Information 9 (+9)

Knowledge:

*Botany 13 (+15)

Medicine 13 (+15)

Notice 10 (12)

Survival 10 (+12)

Botany isn't a Knowledge. What you'd be looking for is Life Sciences.

Feats: 13PP

Attack Specialization 2 (Plants)

Dodge Focus 6

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Precise Shot 2

I'd specify Plant Control Array for the Attack Spec.

Precise Shot 2 is probably not necessary, Elusive Target isn't that common, and you can just HP it up if and when you need it.

Plant Manipulation Array 13 (26PP ArrayFeats: Alternate Power 2:Photosynthesis(Immunity 1: starvation))[29PP]

• Base Power: Snare 10 (Extras:RegeneratingFeats:Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Reversible, Tether) (Vine Snare) [25PP]

Alternate Power: Strike 6 (Extras:Auto fire 5 Feats: Extended Reach 4, Improved Critical, Indirect 3, Mighty) (Vine Whip) [26PP]

Alternate Power: Stun 8 (Extras: Ranged 1 cloud. (Pollen Reaction) [24PP]

Right, my suggestion here is... just look at other sheets for help with formatting. Also, don't put Photosynthesis in an array, make it a separate Immunity. I'd also advise bringing that Strike a) up to caps, and B) actually buying Autofire for both the entirety of the ranks and your Strength bonus, so it's actually useful.

The Stun power... doesn't add up. Range - Ranged [+1] is a +1 extra, and Area - Cloud [+1] is a +1 Extra, so at present, it costs 2+1+1=4pp/rank, for a total of 32pp. It's also an Area Attack, so can go to rank 10, as General Areas not affected by trade-offs because there's no attack roll.

Protection 5 (Duration: Sustained, Feat: Impervious, (Bark Skin) [6PP]

Why doesn't she always have bark skin, if she's a plant? And Impervious is an Extra, not a Feat.

Regeneration 10 (Recovery 5 (+10) Recovery rate: Injured 1 [One Round], Disabled 1 [5 hours], Resurrection 2 [One Day (Feats: Persistent, Regrowth, Reincarnation Flaws:Source (Sunlight) )[12PP]

Regeneration from lethal damage on this site is signifcantly less useful than Regeneration from non-lethal.

I just had a cool idea, cool enough to share, after hearing the fluff. As always take it or leave it.

As I understand it, your characters powers are seeds she grows that sprout into vines causing the above effects.

How about buying the triggered 1 feat for your plant array [being stepped on].

This could allow her to plant seeds like mines. If somebody later steps on her seeds they "whumph" and snare / pollinate / whatever (Depending on the seed she planted) the person who stepped on it!

Well, just an idea anyway, I thought it was cool! :D

I changed a lot-- almost everything actually.

Complications:

Did that just move? Living Tattoo is just that, living. It appears to move on the skin and has a bad habit of producing protruding flowers, extending tendrils and generally running a muck.

Abilities: 6 + 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 28PP

Strength: 16 (+3)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 0 + 12 + 0 + 10= 22PP

Attack: +6 (+10 Living Tattoo)

Grapple: +16, +18 (Improved Grapple) +19 (Both vines grapple)

Saving Throws: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15PP

Toughness: +10 (+3 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +8 (+5 Con, +3)

Reflex: +6 (+0 Dex, +6)

Acrobatics 9 (+12)

Climb 9 (+12)

Knowledge:

*Life Science 13 (+15)

Medicine 13 (+15)

Notice 10 (+12)

Survival 10 (+12)

Feats: 12PP

Attack Specialization 2 (Living Tattoo)

Dodge Focus 6

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Precise Shot 1

Powers: 4 + 32 + 9 = 45PP

Comprehend 2 (Plants) [4PP]

Living Tattoo Array 14 ( 28PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 4 )(Plant Control)[32PP]

• Base Power: Additional Limbs 2 (Extras:Regenerating, Sustained, Feats:Ambidextrous, Flaws: Noticeable) (Flowering Vines) [22PP]
    Alternate Power: Elongation 2 (Flaw: Limited(Additional Limbs)) (Protruding Vines) [1PP]
    Alternate Power: Nauseate 10 (Extras:Cloud, Poison, Flaws:Sense Dependent (Smell)) (Sickly Sweet Pollen) [28PP]
    Alternate Power: Snare 10 (Feats:Reversible) (Vine Snare) [21PP]
    Alternate Power: Strike 10 (Vine Whip) [12PP]

Protection 7( Extra:Sustained, Feat:Subtle) [9pp]

Drawbacks: () + () =

DC Block:

Snare           Touch               DC15 Reflex                      Entangled/Bound

Strike           Touch               DC15 Toughness                Damage (Physical)

Nauseate     Ranged/Area   DC15 Fortitude (Staged)   Sickened/Nausiated/Helpless

Abilities (28) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (15) + Skills (16) + Feats (12) + Powers (45) - Drawbacks () = 138/150 Power Points

The newest update to the sheet, and what I think is finished. I'd like some of the more experienced character builders to take a crack at her and let me know what they think.

Player Name: Breella

Character Name: Gwendolyn Barr “Floraâ€

Power Level:10 150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent PP: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Once your average adventurous flora-pathic mutant teenager wanted a pretty henna tattoo. The introduction of plant based ink to her skin seemed to boost her powers, leaving her with a living tattoo with the ability to extend itself outside her body.

Alternate Identities: Flora

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Maracay, Venezuela but raised in Colorado, USA

Affiliations: Claremont

Family: William Barr (Father), Andreina Pisani (Mother)

Apparent Age: 18-20 years

Ethnicity: White

Height: 5ft

Weight: 120lbs

Eyes: Pale Green

Hair: Mouse Brown w/ Red highlights

[floatr]5472001-autumn-woman.jpg[/floatr]

Description: Gwen stands at 5ft 120lbs, curvy with a hint of an athletic cut from her outdoor adventuring. Waist length mouse brown hair with red highlights frames her face with thick cut bangs. Her pale green almond shaped eyes are almost never adorned with makeup and her slightly tanned complexion never has need of foundations or coverups and a gentle, natural, rose to her cheeks is all the blush she requires. She possesses a grace to her step and a glint to her smile that wouldn't be out of place at a galla or ball. She however she prefers to be in a pair of old blue jeans, a t-shirt and covered from head to toe and up to her elbows in dirt.

When fighting crime Gwen has chosen a light green on dark green color-scheme, she also dislikes capes.

Power Descriptions: Gwen was born a flora-path and has spent all of her life communicating with plants. After getting a “temporary†henna tattoo of vines her powers grew, expanding to include vines that sprout from her body. These vines can act as additional limbs,

History: Gwen's parents, William and Andreina, both came from middle class working families who had doted on their only children. They tied the knot at Yellowstone National Park and soon after were blessed to find themselves with child. The soon to be parents wanted to share their love for nature with their newborn daughter and Andreina's heritage. They hired a midwife from a local small town to attended the birth while the couple camped close a waterfall in the jungles of Venezuela. The family settled down just outside of Denver, Colorado where William took a job at a landscaper for a local construction company and Andreina became a Gardner maintaining a local greenhouse so they could maintained their outdoor loving activities while still being parents.

It was obvious as Gwen grew up she shared her parents love for both nature and the outdoors, it was almost as if she thrived better when outside in the dirt. Plants seemed to reach towards her as if she was the sun and as she got older, began to talk she would have conversations for hours on end outside in the garden. She could always keep herself amused when at work with her mother or father just by having conversations with what her parents playfully referred to as the “faeries in the forest.â€. Gwen grew and developed like any normal child would eventually going to school, socializing well with other children, maintaining a small group of friends. In third grade science class the terms assignment was to study the growth of lima beans. Young Gwen was ecstatic that she was finally able to share her extensive plant knowledge with her friends and teachers. It was her first real hands on science class and the project went amazing and Gwen wow'd her teachers, but learned the hard way that a teachers pet often gets the short stick from other students. She quickly became ridiculed, called a know it all and outcast by many of her former friends. Gwen triumphed in the end, the teachers invited her to take part in a special greenhouse project and it fast became a love of Gwen's. Where some children can be found after school in libraries buried in books Gwen was in the greenhouse, buried in dirt and tending to her new found obsession.

“Dying! Dying, They're all dying!†the moan escaped the lips of the dreaming child. The summer of 2007 was the most damaging summer of wildfires in twenty-five years. It burned nearly 275,000 acres of forest in Colorado. Fifteen of those acres were the Barr's land. The heat was suffocating, the smoke burned at her eyes. Gwen awoke from her slumber to these feelings and panicked. She was disoriented and paralyzed with fear as her vision began to get worse. After what seemed like hours to the young girl, but were a matter minutes, hands reached out from the smoke and hauled the small girl up out of her hammock and onto strong and familiar shoulders. After scooping up their daughter William and Denise began making their way out of their home. Gwen, still disoriented was separated from her parents by falling debris. Her father was pinned and her mother unconscious the twelve year old began to weep louder, choke and the world was consumed by black. While they all survived the fire thanks to the rescue by firefighters and volunteers the mental trauma on Gwen was devastating and to this day she is often plagued by nightmares.

After the fire Gwen made an unusual request of her parents: she wanted to travel the world with them and share in everything they loved. She learned to hike, to climb, care for her injuries and to survive among nature with the barest of essentials. She had traveled to every corner of the world, seeing and meeting some of the most interesting people and learning all she could about local exotic flora, third world gardening and food cultivations, horticulture and botany became her world. It was on one such a trip to Morocco in 2009 where her parents allowed her to get a temporary tattoo. Harmless little plant based henna tattoo that would ware off in a week, two at the most. The design was beautiful, a flower on her forearm that extended down by vines to her fingertips. The design was interlaced with thorns, smaller flowers, tendrils that extended off main shoots and lots of leaves. The next morning when the paste was dry and cracking Gwen removed it as the artist had instructed, but instead of a beautiful pattern there was nothing on her skin. Upset she went to her parents, who explained to her that a bad batch of henna might not stain the skin at all and Gwen eventually shrugged it off.

The next day while getting dressed Gwen kept feeling as if she could see something on her shoulder, just outside of her vision. It happened again when she bent to scratch her ankle, yet again when she was changing into a swimsuit for some beach time. Later that night while showering Gwen could finally see it, small tendrils protruding from her back just below her shoulder. They were green, thin, small leaves adorned from offshoots. She screamed, falling to the floor and skittering across it in a panic. The tendrils pulled back into her skin, but a pattern remained there, it was the beautiful flower from the day before sitting on her shoulder. The tattoo flowed under her skin as if it was breathing and the tendrils seemed to be waving at her.

A few hours later Gwen began to hear it like she could hear the whispers of other plants. She could ask it to move into a better area to see and eventually she was able to coax it to sprout tendrils again. Gwen decided to hide this part of herself from her parents, from everyone. Hearing plants was one thing but having on, sitting on her shoulder was a whole different story. The living tattoo seemed to be able to shrink itself down into just that flower at times but it often likes to spread its vines out across her body. It was a fateful hiking trip that brought Gwen to the rift in Africa, a crack in the continent that scientists say will one day split the continent in two and form a new ocean. It was a repel to explore the plant life when Gwen's safety anchor at the top gave way and she began slipping faster. Panicking, her life began to flash before her eyes as she started to slip faster and soon was falling. They came then, long thick vines that threw themselves at the sides of the rift. They snaked along the rim till the tendrils weaved their way into the cracks and fractures. The jolt hurt and pulled at Gwen's body, her vision going red with pain. The vines extended and pulled Gwen up to the top, crawling across the surfaces until she was safe. They nuzzled the girls face as she brought her breathing back to normal, reset her anchor and went back to her work.

Soon after Gwen decided that she needed to seek out an education, to be around others like her and put her new found floral skills to use. Gwen picked Claremont for her education on a referral from her favorite rosebush, one she planted in her elementary school greenhouse years before, which she visited in its new place in the tranquility garden on every trip home. She visited Claremont in the summer of 2010 and has now enrolled. Her parents believe that she's attending at an academy on her way to becoming a botanist.

Personality & Motivation: Gwen has a naturally adventurous personality, a drive to work hard and desires to put her abilities to positive use for the world.

Powers & Tactics: Gwen's original power manifested as Florapathy, the ability to communicate with plants. She also experiences periods of stronger than human skin which she refers to as her “bark skinâ€. Upon receiving a henna tattoo she began to experience a kind of “living tattoo†a flowering vine that moves along her skin, grows and changes, sprouts flowers and can extend itself outside her body as additional limbs. Through practice she has learned that she can do a great many things with her new ability.

Complications:

Family: Gwen's parents mean the world to her.

Fear of Fire: Gwen has a paralyzing fear of being trapped by fire, she often has nightmares of the day her home burned down.

Living Tattoo: Living Tattoo is just that, living. It moves on the skin and has a bad habit of producing protruding flowers, extending tendrils and generally running a muck.

Abilities: 10 + 12 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 38PP

Strength: 20 (+5)

Dexterity: 22 (+6)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 12 (+1)

Combat: 12 + 8= 20PP

Attack: +6 (+10 Living Tattoo)

Grapple: 6 (from Attack) + 4 (elongation) + 6 (Dex bonus*Grappling Finesse*) + 4 (Limbs) = +20

Saving Throws: 5 + 3 + 6 = 14PP

Toughness: +10 (+3 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +8 (+3 Con, +5)

Reflex: +9 (+6 Dex, +3)

Skills:76R = 19PP

Acrobatics 13 (+19)

Climb 10 (+15)

Knowledge:

*Earth Science 8 (+10)

*Life Science 13 (+15)

Medicine 10 (+12)

Notice 10 (+12)

Survival 12 (+14)

Feats: 16PP

Acrobatic Bluff

Attack Specialization 2 (plant control)

Dodge Focus 6

Evasion

Grappling Finesse

Improved Grapple

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Precise Shot 1

Powers: 7 + 4 + 27+ 8 = 45PP

Additional Limbs 4 (Extras:Sustained) (Vines) [7PP]

Elongation 4 (Flaw:Limited: Additional Limbs: Vines) [3PP]

Plant Control Array 12 ( 24PP Array, Feats: Alternate Power 3 )(Plant Control)[27PP]

• Base Power: Nauseate 10 (Extras:Poison) (Sickly Sweet Pollen) [21PP]
    Alternative Power: Communicate 2 (Plants) [4pp]
    Alternate Power: Snare 10 (Extra: Regenerating, Feats:Reversible) (Vine Snare) [22PP]
    Alternate Power: Strike 10 (Vine Whip) [12PP]

Protection 7( Extra:Sustained, Feat:Subtle) (Bark like skin)[8pp]

Drawbacks: (-2) + () =-2

Vulnerability (Bladed Weapons, Frequency: Common, Intensity: Minor) [-2PP]

DC Block:

Snare        Touch              DC15 Reflex                           Entangled/Bound

Strike       Touch              DC15 Toughness                        Damage (Physical)

Nauseate     Touch              DC15 Fortitude (Staged)               Sickened/Nauseated/Helpless

Abilities (38) + Combat (20) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (19) + Feats (16) + Powers (45) - Drawbacks (-2) = 150/150 Power Points

In your Plant Array, the Communicate -- do you mean Communicate (can talk over long distances) or Comprehend (can understand other languages)? I'm guessing the latter, due to the cost of 2pp/rank.

Also, while you don't have to spend all the pps in an Array slot, using only 4 pp in a 24pp slot does seem a tad wasteful. Perhaps some ESP (to 'see' through plants, like what Fleur de Joie has)?