July 2011 Vignette: Ia! Ia! Archeville fhtagn!

The Gorgon is coming (in a month), but before the threat of crystallizing order, Freedom -- nay, the very world -- shall face unfettered chaos! Will the heroes be able to push back the tide before all is lost?

Who: Any player who is A] interested, and B] has a character not already involved in the main thread.

What: Tell the story of your character fighting back these city- and world-wide threats. Will they fight Deep Ones coming in from the sea? Save any hostages still within the submarine? Attack the Super-Grue Drones, in Freedom or in some other city? Track their source, in the spooky (and metahuman power-negating) German castle? Try to track & confront the mysterious armored figure who made the announcement which preceded all this? Something else (which would need to be cleared with me)?

NOTE: In addition to the crises listed in that News post, there are two other things of note that PCs can respond to:

A] A few minutes after the mysterious armored figure's announcement, a mass of the dead rise up in Germany and surrounding countries, and a large mass of creatures/monsters from the South American rainforest; both groups fly (or, more accurately, are pulled by some force) to Freedom City, at hundreds of thousands of miles an hour, and converge into one spot in North Bay, where they merge into a Gigantosaur-sized thing. (The Giant Tentacle Monster that Dok turns into.) Good thing the Interceptors (and former Knights of Freedom) are there to fight it, but they may need some help!

B] At around the same time as that, throughout the world -- mostly Europe, but pockets all over -- random people go completely insane and attack everyone and everything near them.

Length should be at least one (1) page per character involved.

When: All these will be taking place on June 17th, 2011, a Friday (two weeks after the Claremont Graduation). The deadline for submissions will be Sunday, July 31st, by 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5).

Where: Anywhere, as there are threats all over!

Why: To enhance our community, to flex your writing muscles, to help me conclude a big story arc for my namesake character, and to earn a bonus PP for your characters (the ones involved in this Vignette) for the month of July.

How: Once your story is finished and proofed, post it in this thread. This way everyone will be able to see it, and play off it as appropriate.

If you've got questions, post them here, PM them to me, or ask in Chat.

Vignettes Posted

Arcturus: fights Metaceptors in the West End!

Blueshift: goes to Dok's super-secret asteroid belt HQ, finds much more than she bargained for!

Cannonade: Fights maddened hordes in Southside!

Citizen: fighting Evil!Vince in the Freedom Hall computers!

Cobalt Templar: Fights Metaceptors throughout Freedom City!

Crow: Fights Metacetpors in Bayview, receives unexpected help from... his mother?

Dark Star: Fights Metaceptors and madmen all over the globe!

Dragonfly: 'ports up to ArcheStern and repurposes its communications array into a massive microwave laser, which she fires at the Giant Tentacle Monster rampaging around North Bay!

Edge: Helps free the prisoners of Schloss Wissenschaft, then rains meteors upon it!

Fleur de Joie: Takes in precious refugees at Sanctuary!

Gabriel: Attacks the super-sub of the Deep Ones with Ironclad!

Harrier: got kidnapped by Deep Ones, but he turns the tables on them!

Ironclad: Attacks the super-sub of the Deep Ones with Gabriel!

King of Suits: Defends the Fens from Deep Ones and Metaceptors!

Midnight: Saves people from the collapsing Centery Narrows Bridge with Wander!

Miss Americana: shutting down ArcheTech teleportals!

Myrmidon: Pushes back the Deep Ones at Riverside!

Nick Cimitiere: Exorcises the dead from the Giant Tentacle Beast rampaging around North Bay!

Overclock: Fights Metaceptors near Master Lee's in Hanover!

Push: Keeps Metacetpors off Blueshift's back as she hax Nichtuberall's systems!

Rene de Saens: painting/trapping monsters in Mexico!

Silhouette: allows herself to be kidnapped by Deep Ones so she can find/free the other folks they're taking!

Supercape: fighting Heavy Metal, maddened by the Blood of Archeville!

Torque: Fights Grue & screaming madmen in Freedom City!

Vanguard: The monsters in West End who oppose his shield must yield!

Victory: Fights Metaceptors alongside Push up in Nichtuberal, but then faces a figure from his past.

Warlock: While flying from Kingston to Riverside, is seized upon by eldritch forces and transmogrified back into Kid Cthulhu! But is it as a hero... or a servant?

Wander: Saves people from the collapsing Centery Narrows Bridge with Midnight!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! Seven days!

Right, so, I'm thinking I'll be sending Gabriel to fight the Fjölnirskraft at Riverside Park. Those Deep Ones are threatening women and children, and that's not something that will go unanswered by our beloved sonic-controlling hero!

However, that's a pretty big fight. If someone else wants to get involved somehow, I'm willing to work with you (though obviously we're on a tight schedule!).

Clarifications

[*:33jw0o6h]The dead that rose up are all Doktor Archeville's ancestors, being called to him -- or, rather, the Great Old One inside him that's been riding his family line for 13 generations -- to form the body of the Giant Tentacle Monster Dok/Evil!Dok's going to turn into.
    [*:33jw0o6h]The monsters streaming in from South America are also tied to Archeville: they're the creations of his grandfather, the Nazi super-scientist! (They'll also be contributing to the body of the Giant tentacle Monster.)
    [*:33jw0o6h]The people going mad throughout he world are distant relatives of Doktor Archeville's, who are infected with a smidgen of the pseudonatural taint Archeville & his direct ancestors have.

Ideas offered thus far

[*:33jw0o6h]Gabriel's going to attack the Deep One-commandeered super-sub at Riverside park
    [*:33jw0o6h]Nick Cimitiere's assembling an ectoplasmic mecha to fight the mass of dead, or attempting to lay all those dead back to rest (which would weaken both the Tentacle Monster's physical form and the link the alien spirit has to the Archeville family line/to this world). (I personally prefer the second one.)
    [*:33jw0o6h]Push is going to do... "something epic" (possibly involving Nichtuberall, Dok's super-secret asteroid base that he and only three others even know of) which may result in his hammer getting cracked.

Also, I'd originally offered a thread with Dragonfly & Miss Americana going to Dok's space station and converting the communications array into a BFG to blast the Giant Tentacle Monster that's rampaging around Freedom (though they have to get by his mind-zapped staff wielding all sorts of super-tech gear), but I'm thinking that might work better as a Vignette.

Having PC trouble at the moment so its unreliable lap top! but this looks good!

Rene would definitely be up for trapping some undead cthulloid tentacles in a painting.

SUpercape I think would do something scientific - perhaps a time travel to medieval ancestor not for the purpose of changing the time stream but to actually find out what the blazes is going on. However, this would need a lot of care to ensure it isn't ballsed up so I leave that fr you think about Doc, and perhaps avoid altogether. Alternatively, I could see him in Germany or Europe, fighting relatives (where I imagine the highest concentration would be) who have been driven mad (and I wonder if Heavy Metal might be a distant relative being a German genius).

Steam wouldn't be involved as far as I could see, at least not in any major way.

Having PC trouble at the moment so its unreliable lap top! but this looks good!

Rene would definitely be up for trapping some undead cthulloid tentacles in a painting.

Ther'es no shotage of things for him to capture, 's'true!

SUpercape I think would do something scientific - perhaps a time travel to medieval ancestor not for the purpose of changing the time stream but to actually find out what the blazes is going on. However, this would need a lot of care to ensure it isn't ballsed up so I leave that fr you think about Doc, and perhaps avoid altogether. Alternatively, I could see him in Germany or Europe, fighting relatives (where I imagine the highest concentration would be) who have been driven mad (and I wonder if Heavy Metal might be a distant relative being a German genius).

Heroes doing things in paces other than Freedom City, USA would be pleasant to see!

And I am tickled at the idea of the WERNSTROM expy being a distant relative of Dok's ;)

Steam wouldn't be involved as far as I could see, at least not in any major way.

Then he is no hero, and you should not be playing him here!

Then he is no hero, and you should not be playing him here!

That, I should say, was a lack of emphasis on my part. No major role. I am sure he will be riding the streets of Mexico in Bessie, gatling guns blazing down Cthulloid beasts. Its just I cant think of a suitably exciting dramatic story for him to post as a vignette (or maybe I am just too lazy...). If inspiration and will strike, I may reverse that!

Okay, idea for Neo-Gen: Protecting the Claremont Campus from an incoming army of Metaceptors! Thoughts, guys? Remember, we have to do this quick!

Just that Changeling will have the bindings on her powers temporarily released so that she can bind any of the invaders before they even reach the campus.

Hmmm... Some possibilities for Jubatus' involvement, in no particular order:

• [*:vrk8x51g]To Bell a Cat -- Evil!Dok thinks that Jube's Timeshift power is an exploitable resource, so he captures the cheetah and performs unethical medical/genetic procedures on Jube to make the feline a more-suitable tool for his purposes. Presumably, the Grue-derived modifications of Jube's DNA prevent Evil!Dok from just giving Jube the Interceptors treatment, or perhaps that treatment only works for a short time until Jube's high-speed metabolism manages to overcome it? Anyway, Evil:Dok infects Jube with an engineered retrovirus to deactivate Jube's remaining human genes, and offers a deal: If Jube will serve Evil!Dok, Evil!Dok will provide regular doses of an antiviral drug that will preserve Jube's humanity for a time. Jube tells Evil!Dok to get stuffed. Evil!Dok shrugs and moves on to the next stage in his plot... leaving Jube unattended in one of Evil!Dok's secret labs. Can Jubatus succeed in putting a dent in Evil!Dok's scheme before the fastest cat alive is reduced to a mindless animal?
    [*:vrk8x51g]Kill the Messenger -- Somebody in Freedom City has discovered a vital piece of information that has the potential to throw Evil!Dok's scheme into disarray, if only that information can be transmitted to [insert name of person here]. Radio, TV, email, and internet communications can't be trusted, since Evil!Dok has demonstrated the ability to subvert/control them all, so the info must be carried by a courier... and that means Jubatus. It's a simple task -- carry a small package from Point A to Point B -- but it's complicated by the presence of any number of Evil!Dok's minions/hirelings/mind-fried slaves, all of whom will of course do their best to prevent the package from reaching its destination.
    [*:vrk8x51g]Blitzkrieg -- Jubatus versus endless waves of Deep Ones. Which will be exhausted first -- the cheetah, or the supply of Deep Ones?

Lone Star: Indeed! I'll PM you some ideas.

Cubist: I've got a tight schedule for Evil!Dok (part of the reason he's going to be redeemable is that's Evil!Dok's not going to be in charge for very long and have much opportunity to do horrible things), so #1's not viable; #2 or 3 would be perfectly feasible, though!

1.)Right now, it looks like Gabriel's basically going to be soloing the sub. That's fine if that's how it turns out, but I"m open to someone wanting to do a joint operation. Semi-A's going to have Myr holding the line against the Deep Ones, but otherwise it's a one-man show. If nobody's piped up by Thursday, I'll crank it out for solo work.

2.)I'm trying to decide what to do with Cobalt Templar. From that, I have a couple of questions.

a.)Dok, would the fields at Dok's Castle negate Corbin's ring?

b.)Alternatively, would going into the main Archetech branch in Freedom City do anything?

c.) Connected to b, how feasible might it be for someone to go "portal hopping" city to city, jumping through portals just as he blasts the machinery to shut them down in the first location? Or something to that effect, at any rate.

Ironclad could go sub hunting. Right now I have a tentative idea for a Lab Vignette, but since it seems that Gina will be otherwise occupied (truehax) that's not looking too hot.
I'd be willing to do that. He could keep the outside busy and do some external damage (focused on weapons, engines, and tentacles), while she blasted inside and disabled the control center. Do you want to work further via PM? I do warn I won't have much ability to write until Thursday (I'm concentrating on a wiki page writeup tonight :P , and I'm out of the house tomorrow and Wednesday until late).

1. Wander's already involved in the Revelations thread, she'll keep hanging out with Scarab and Arrowhawk until given new instructions, at which point she'll likely go fight the bleeping zombie tentacle monster, if time permits.

2. Miss Americana is going to send her able assistant Citizen to liberate the computers at Freedom Hall from their malign influence, then turn her own attentions to recapturing the Archetech facilities worldwide by gaining control of their integral computer systems.

3. Fleur de Joie is probably going to be in the "they also serve who stand and wait" position this vignette, guarding the children and monitoring communications on Sanctuary, freeing up Phantom, Avenger and Dark Star to fight on Earth.

Okay, so my only character that's not involved in the main story, Blueshift, actually makes every single Knowledge / Skill check on the news post you put up without rolling a die.

She knows exactly what's going on everywhere and what and who is behind it.

Also, I finally recently put up the News Post For her having begun working at ASTRO labs (in her civilian identity). It's backdated to the 20th of June.

I feel like an appropriate response for her to all of this happening (assuming she sees it on a monitor at work or something) is to immediately try hacking Archeville's systems and/or undermining his wide and hopefully thinly spread control. She may even jump into cyberspace and root around to do it.

Does this idea sound appropriate?

Edge

United Heroes

Mark Lucas's first day of orientation at UNISON headquarters in Switzerland becomes an assault on Archeschloss!

Harrier

The Meaning of Torture

Deep Ones take Murdock and his coworkers for dissection. This is a mistake.

Citizen

Hero Worship

Citizen saves an Interceptor.

Freedom Angel

The Voice of God

A million Metaceptors, but only one God.

I suppose, if no one else is interested in doing a "powerless heroes in the spooky castle" tale, Blueshift can work on deactivating the power dampers (and teleportals).

I guess I was kind of sidestepping some of the spooky factor with CT there...

Then again, powerless or no, that's a big, dark, spooky castle that's probably filled with robot gorillas, metaceptors, and brainwashed staff. One guy taking all that on, even with powers, is a scary thought. I'd definitely be up for a team up on this one too.

I suppose, if no one else is interested in doing a "powerless heroes in the spooky castle" tale, Blueshift can work on deactivating the power dampers (and teleportals).

Well, if someone tell that to the powerless heroes...

"Die monster!"

And about the Freedom City vignette, I was thinking on the classic "desperate siege", with heroes and people (not mutually exclusive) tryng to stop the endless tide of deep ones and monsters tryng to defend their significant ones and making a difference. Extra points if there is an helicopter for rescue waiting in a point; EXTRA points if there is an helicopter, goes crash and then there is another.