Hangin' With The Roomie

Lone Star

It was a boring Saturday afternoon at the Claremont Academy. The birds outside chirped merrily, and the sun hung high overhead. Janis was sitting on her bed, listening to a new album she bought from the local bookstore. The heavy metal blared from her earphones, practically making her bed vibrate with the noisy music. Her foot tapped lazily against her sheets, ruffling them slightly. She sat, completely relaxed, and absently played with the headphone cord. Her eyes drifted up to the ceiling, and she suddenly snapped her iPod off with a pop of electricity.

She looked at her roommate, and poked her. "I'M BORED."

Victoria looked up from her drawing board, Jace Hall's voice coming out of her headphones rapping about Street Fighter. Setting her pencil down she spun her chair and crossed her legs. Flexing her right hand, "Okay, any ideas? I could use a break from this sequential art project anyway, though I do need to thank Cole for helping me get the creative juices flowing on it..."

"Anyway, what do you wanna do, grab a bite over at the cafeteria?"

Janis leapt from her bed, practically mauling her roommate. "That sounds great!" she said with a huge grin.

As they walked down the hallway, Janis was practically skipping. "Sorry I'm so...ditzy today. I just got the new Ultradeth album. It's pretty metal. Oh, that reminds me..." she said, tilting her head to one side. "How are things with that one dude? The guy with the..." A strange gesture with her hands was completely incomprehensible. "Runes?"

Vicky stretched, her back was still sore from her training exercises that morning with Brian, John, and Morgan. "Gimme a sec," she said lifting her shirt just enough to expose any Icy Hot patch on her lower back, "Took a deflected shot from Brian right here, hurt like a bitch but the patch has helped." Pulling the old patch off and rummaging in her desk for a fresh one, she applied it and let out a pleased sigh.

"Say, you run into our new neighbor? Might not be a bad idea to see if she'd like to join us, two's company, three's a party," she said with a grin.

"Things with Morgan are going pretty well. He's funny, smart," she started and with a conspiratorial smirk, added in a very low voice, "And knows just what a woman needs. Remind me to tell you about Tian sometime..." Finishing her sentence, she knocked on their neighbor Caresse's dorm door.

The door very slowly opened and the smell of incense wafted out. Caresse peaked out of the crack and saw the two girls. One she had met before, but the other was a new person. She opened the door a little, "Hey guys, give me a moment, please?" She lightly shut the door and picked up her meditation rug from the floor, putting it under her bed. She dropped the towel she was wearing and reached for her costume. It slid on very quickly thanks to the morphic molecules. grabbing her gloves and boots she opened the door again. She smiled, "Hello, Victoria and you too. Please come in." The morphic molecules in her costume made it quick to put on the boots and gloves, as the girls saw them almost slide on.

The door very slowly opened and the smell of incense wafted out. Caresse peaked out of the crack and saw the two girls. One she had met before, but the other was a new person. She opened the door a little, "Hey guys, give me a moment, please?" She lightly shut the door and picked up her meditation rug from the floor, putting it under her bed. She dropped the towel she was wearing and reached for her costume. It slid on very quickly thanks to the morphic molecules. grabbing her gloves and boots she opened the door again. She smiled, "Hello, Victoria and you too. Please come in." The morphic molecules in her costume made it quick to put on the boots and gloves, as the girls saw them almost slide on.

Vicky entered Caresse's room, trying to be mindful of the girl's personal space. "Hey Caresse. Janis, Caresse. Caresse, Janis. Okay, introductions out of the way, Jan and I were heading down to the cafeteria and were wondering if you'd like to join. I haven't seen you around campus much and I figured some company and food might be a good way to kill an afternoon," she said warmly.

Leaning against the wall, her crimson on onyx eyes scanned the room, noting the katana hanging from a mount on the wall as well as a bunch of tournament trophies. Internally she whistled and thought to herself, Dang, that's more than a little impressive there.

Vicky entered Caresse's room, trying to be mindful of the girl's personal space. "Hey Caresse. Janis, Caresse. Caresse, Janis. Okay, introductions out of the way, Jan and I were heading down to the cafeteria and were wondering if you'd like to join. I haven't seen you around campus much and I figured some company and food might be a good way to kill an afternoon," she said warmly.

Janis smiled and offered her hand to Caresse. She took a deep breath and sighed happily as she smelled the familiar scent of incense. "Nice to meet you, Caresse, and nice space you've got here. I like what you've done with it."

She noticed the trophies too. "So what did you win those awards in, exactly?"

Caresse didn't keep her normal distance as usual. No, she wasn't stepping in Janis and Victoria's personal space, but she wasn't backing off suspiciously like the first time. "It's nice to meet you, Janis," she said with a nod when she was introduced to the new girl. "Well, i was in the middle of meditation when you guys came by," she said when Victoria offered a chance to get out, "though I guess i can put that aside for a bit for a friend." She clasped her hands together and grinned when Janis mentioned the awards, "Various kendo and iaido competitions. I'm a swordsman, I've been studying since I was eight."

Janis' eyes opened wide. "Wow, very impressive, Caresse. I've been wanting to take up martial arts myself." She lowered herself into a mock martial arts stance, then stood back up when she realized how silly she looked. "Anyway...I've never really won any awards myself, but if you need any mechanical help, I'm your gal. It's a knack of mine, I guess." Janis beamed brightly at her, then opened the door for the two of them. "So, ladies, to the cafeteria?"

Vicky nodded at Caresse, "I've had some training in unarmed combat. Put a dangerously sharp hunk of steel in my hands though and I'm as likely to amputate one of my own limbs than one of whatever I'm fighting. I've been meaning to fix that, eventually."

Victoria's stomach rumbled, almost as if she was keeping a small predator behind her abs. "Uh yeah, I could eat," she muttered with a slight blush. Eying Caresse's window, a slight smirk cross Vicky's face. "Anyone else not in the mood for the stairs or elevator?"

"Food sounds good right about now," Caresse said picking up the incense sticks. She lightly dipped them in water, "Just give me a moment to put these away." She had a cup of water on hand to douse the sticks. After that she wrapped them in some rice paper and put them in a seemingly empty drawer. She saw Victoria eying the window with a devious look when she asked her question of alternative transport. "Oh yeah! You can teleport, right," Caresse asked rhetorically. She saw her do it on the day she met her. "How far can you go with that? Can we be in France right now for lunch," she chuckled.

Janis, determined not to be out-done, teleported on the spot. Flashing a brief grin, she disappeared with a dramatic crack of lightning, appearing outside the window. She swung her legs and looked back at the two of them. "I can totally do that too! Well, probably not as well as she can, but teleporting is a lot of fun. Want to race?"

She leapt from the window, and made a speedy transit to a tree nearby. "Come on!"

Victoria shrugged, "No, I'm afraid France is a bit out of my range. My personal best is three football fields, give or take a yard." At Janis' call of wanting to race, she nodded and held out a hand to Caresse. "I'll need to be touching you to bring you along," she said, "Skin contact isn't necessary but I do need to be holding onto at least part of anyone 'poofing' with me."

Taking Caresse's hand, they were at the base of the tree Janis had been in, keeping pace with the young fulminokinetic. As they moved towards the cafeteria, one jump at a time Vicky added, "I'm working on a way to teleport things and people at range but... that isn't working so well. Can't even get a pencil from one side of my desk to the other. Might be a neat trick to pull on an opponent I can't get a handle on."

Caresse quickly moved her open fingers away from Victoria's grasp, sliding her hand more to her wrist. She couldn't risk accidental contact. The teleporting process was nothing to write home about. It was like one moment here the other moment there. It wasn't disorienting at all. She smiled at the notion of a teleport attack, "That would be useful wouldn't it? You could just teleporting the enemy into the ground, head up, or to a nice deserted island." She chuckled at the thought of making things disappear. "That would make everything easier, wouldn't it?"

"A few things," Vicky admitted, "Can't say I wouldn't mind being able to just will my laundry from the machines in the basement to my dresser, let alone sending dangerous super-villains far from civilians."

As they matched Janis all the way to the building, she continued with a slight smile, "Back home, I used to practice my teleporting by 'jumping' from one end of the house to the other. The first few times..., well let's just say I was glad I was home alone, though I think my ex might not have minded."

Janis appeared at the cafeteria, a violent clap of thunder heralding her landing. She turned back, her long blonde hair whipping around. As the two approached, she smiled, and opened the door for the two girls. "Go ahead!" she said cheerfully, and she walked in behind them.

She turned to Caresse, walking beside her on the opposite side. "So what are your powers, exactly? I guess mine are fairly obvious."