GM

Raymond Nuclear Facility always had a number of protesters outside its walls, ranging from a half dozen to twenty or more. They sang songs, held placards, and drank tea and coffee. They were in many ways a family.

THe Reactor, at least so far, had proved safe and reliable, and supplied a lot of the Cities power needs. Nevertheless, unease about nuclear power was always on peoples minds, particularly with Freedom City harbouring so much super-villain activity. Unsurprisingly, security at the facility was tighter than your average nuclear power plant.

The protesters outside were engaging in a little banter and discussion as a man, covered in a thick cloak and hood walked down the road and past them.

The ground cracked with every footstep he took.

The protesters did not see his face, but looked on astonished as he made his way directly to the reactor.

Nearby, some rocks by the road glowed a faint green colour...

It had cost her all of her money but Lucy had to admit she was enjoying the bus ride. All the different and various people clustered together.

She looked out the window, enjoying the scenery as it flashed by. Actually this was probably the furthest she had travelled outside the city proper, she could remember when this was nothing but fields.

A large white building with a crowd of people clustered around it caught her eye.

"Excuse me, what's that building there?" she asked an old woman sitting opposite.

The woman looked at her with a smile. "Oh that’s the nuclear power station."

"But why are the people standing around outside it?"

The woman began to explain why but Lucy didn't hear. There was something wrong with the way the crowd were milling around. Thanking the woman she made her way to the front of bus.

Just as the klaxons went off.

"I need you to stop the bus." the driver began to protest, so she removed her sun-glasses and fixed him a stare with her coal black eyes "I mean now."

The driver stopped the bus almost immediately. Barely waiting for the doors to open she told the driver to contact the authorities before dashing towards the station.

Sarah had been out of Freedom City attending the wedding of friend from high school. Now driving back home down Route 9, she looked forward settling back into her patrols. She had come to quite enjoy the thrills of heroing over the past year and had been feeling a little antsy without the chance to defeat something more serious than drunken advances at the wedding reception.

Conveniently enough, an opportunity presented itself as she approached the city. Forced to slow down near the Charleston exit, she soon noticed the reason was a trail cracked footprints surrounded by an unhealthy green glow, heading towards the power plant. Pulling her car off onto the roadside, Sarah turned off the engine, made sure the doors were locked, then blurred into her costume before vanishing from her car.

A string of repeated jumps following the glowing trail quickly led her to the Raymond Nuclear Facility and the cloaked figure responsible for the trails creation, heading for the entrance.

The slim figure of the Cheshire Blade appeared several yards in front of the hooded one, hands in her pockets and an amused grin on her face.

"Hello there! Pleasant day today isn't it? Planning to sign up for the guided tour?"

Vicky sat in the back seat of the bus, inwardly pleased Mr. Summers had allowed her out of the school for a bit today so she could visit her parents while they had to sit through a layover at Trainor Airport on their way to a vacation in Ocean City. She'd wanted to introduce them to her boyfriend but Mr. Summers hadn't approved his request to leave the grounds.

When one of her fellow bus passengers had told the driver to stop and seconds later alarms began blaring from a nearby nuclear facility, on instinct she teleported out of the back seat and changed quickly behind the bus, which given she was wearing a short-sleeved version of her usual costume under her street clothes meant just shoving her jeans and shirt into her mostly empty messenger bag then pulling on her mask.

When the pale, pale woman went running out of the bus, she began teleporting behind her. Catching up quickly, she called over, "Lovely day for trouble at a nuke-plant isn't it?"

GM

"Hello there! Pleasant day today isn't it? Planning to sign up for the guided tour?"

"I've been" rasped the figure "and now I have come back to take what I need".

The voice sounded, old maybe? but was raspy, and metallic.

The figure tore of his cloak and hood, the need for subterfuge gone. The figure was not large - maybe five and half foot, and of slight build. It wore a slightly ragged lab coat and equally ragged shirt and trousers.

What was most remarkable was that it seemed to be made of a dull, black-grey metal - that moved like the skin and muscle it had replaced.

That, an the fact that the thing seemed to weigh a ton... the road had cracked and sunk where he stood, unable to support his weight.

"I could just take off and get there faster" rasped the thing "but seeing as you have the impertinence to try and stop me, I can spare a moment to crush you like the insect you are..."

Wisp moved forward, being mindful of the civilians around the metal-man. After running forward a short distance she gathered her will and in her bi-colored plume of smoke, she vanished and reappeared several times around the metal man, though the strikes she landed across his body felt like she was punching a brick wall. Landing back where she had started from, she rubbed her knuckles and grimaced at the pain in the joints. "Okay. Focus. Pain is an illusion... that really, really hurts."

The Cheshire Blade's grin only gets wider at the metal being's declaration. Reaching behind her, Cheshire pulls a wicked-looking sword out as the air begins to twist and distort around her.

As soon as Wisp had finished her assault, Sarah swung her blade in an arc in front of her. Simultaneously a loud screech sounded as a prismatic gash in space tore through the air at the metallic one!

"Impertinence? Insects? Why do all villains have to take things so personally?"

GM

"Impertinence? Insects? Why do all villains have to take things so personally?"

The figure barely even noticed Wisps flurry of blows. It was too fast, for one thing, and for another, he was made of solid uranium.

The force of Cheshire Blades spatial rift was explosive, enough to tear up more road and howl the airs around him. This time, he actually took two steps back from the force, splitting the pavement with each step, as his clothes and shoes ripped and shredded still further.

"So, it seems I have a few young heroes to deal with... well, let you be the first to taste my power. And you can call me... HEAVY METAL!"

Revenant quickly scanned the situation and came up with a plan, without pausing to consider the option she kicked off running at almost full pelt toward this "Heavy Metal".

"Ding, Ding Trolley Car coming through!"

It looked like she was going to ram into him at full pelt, except at the last moment she "tripped" on a glowing footprint to bounce lightly off his chest.

She smiled up weakly at the man "Hello, I'm Revenant. You wouldn't like to surrender now would you?"

Inside she was beaming, this might actually work. It seems that all those Saturday morning cinema visits weren’t a waste after all Chaplin and Keaton would be proud. After all she knew she could take the pounding this man could dish out, saving the others from harm and hopefully pulling her fat out of the fire.

GM

Heavy Metal looked on astonished at Revenants comedic distraction. He barely moved a millimetre as she crashed into him, but he did half an open mouth and then a slight curl of a smirk.

"Wha..." he exclaimed.

"...Iv'e seen some crazy antics in my life, but that takes some beating, Meine Damen" he continued, as he pulled himself together.

"You seem a nice lady, but I'm afraid I am going to have to knock you into the dirt today, such a shame" he added, as his fists swung at the heroine. Both pugilistic swipes were telegraphed, and missed resolutely. He finished up with a double handed overhead swing, that ended up with his fist cracking into the road and splitting it still further.

Wisp watched Revenant crash into the metal-man and figuring she'd take the opening her distraction left, called her will up for another series of attacks. She appeared before the man, rolled forward past his legs and finished the move with a handspring vaulting her backwards, heels first, towards the back of his head. Unfortunately for her, his skin was indeed as solid and tough as the first glance would indicate and when she reappeared twenty-some feet away, her feet felt like she'd just cracked them with a hammer.

"Son of a bitch that smarts..."

As soon as Wisp had jumped away, Cheshire teleported behind the super villain and thrust her sword at his back! The briefly immaterial blade plunged through the man's torso to emerge from his chest, wisps of red light swirling around it. Drawing the sword back, the red lights sucked into the blade as its wielder reappeared in her former location.

"Well since you were kind enough to introduce yourself, it's only proper that I do the same," she said, sweeping an elegant bow. "I am the Cheshire Blade! Now fall!"

GM

This time, Heavy Metal took two steps back, quite shocked at the force behind the blade of the Cheshire Cat, and equally shocked as to where his assailant was coming from... there seemed (to him) to be a half dozen assailants, and he had no idea against whom to fight back.

"Pfah!" he shouted. "I could of course, defeat all three of you morons!" he proclaimed, without full conviction. "But why should I? You cannot stop me, and I if I really must contend with you idiots, then I shall do so on my own terms!"

His body then glowed a bright purple, and transformed from pure uranium to pure radiation, a glowing, living energy that hurtled off in a parabola, straight through the walls of the reactor and into its core...

Wisp landed behind where Heavy Metal had been standing just a second too late for the axe-handle swing she'd been in the middle of swinging to connect with anything, neither energy or metal form of the villain. "Well... that's not good," she muttered as he vanished into the walls around the reactor.

Taking a minute to calm down and try and come up with a plan, she spied Cheshire Blade's outfit. "Nice suit," she complimented, "When this is done, you have got to give me your tailor's name."

Revenant was all ready with a solid blow and a witty quip when Heavy Metal took off towards the building. She turned to the other two women with a rather confused look on her face, subconsciously adjusting her suit jacket at Wisps comment.

â€I’m sorry I’m a little new at this, actually I’m a tiny bit star struck fighting alongside two genuine Mystery… Women.â€

She paused gathering together her thoughts.

â€Sorry, I’m babbling a little. Anyway if I may I have two questions. One, do either of you know exactly who this ‘Heavy Metal’ is? And two if say someone had been out of action, for say 84 years. Exactly what is a Nuclear Power Station, and how much damage can he do?â€

"The first question, no, never met the guy. As for the second, and I'm giving the short version as I flunked my science classes in high school, it's a place that uses highly radioactive metals like Uranium to generate electricity for a given area. As for how much damage he could do...," Wisp trailed off, trying to think in World War I terms, knowing if she'd been out of the loop for eight and a half decades she'd be unfamiliar with Chernobyl's meltdown in the Ukraine. Continuing, her Russian accent becoming more pronounced as she was forced to consider the consequences, "Worst case, he could cause a melt down that would blow Freedom City to hell and back. If we don't stop him, the absolute best case we can hope for is the city and probably a large part of Jersey are rendered uninhabitable."

Looking towards the facility she nodded grimly to herself, "I'm going in there, getting a Haz-Mat suit, and going to try and pull him out. You ladies ready to join me?"

GM

Meanwhile, in the Reactor Core...

The guards had proved no match for Heavy Metal. There bullets had simply passed through the energy, and when he solidified into pure uranium, they didn't even made a scratch. He would have ignored them, except when they tried to bar his way, and he had to fling them aside like insects.

The scientists and technicians had proved even less of a distraction.

So now, he pressed ahead to the main reactor.

Those three heroes, he conceded, had been a nuisance. A real nuisance. He stopped. He could get want he wanted here, without any problems. The difficulty would be stealing away with it, with those three idiots on his back.

He ripped the solid lead door of the main reactor core clean of his hinges, and stormed into the hub, pondering his dilemma..

"While I'd normally enjoy having a chat, we really should hurry up after that guy. You've already heard my name, may I have yours, please?"

After the other two women introduce themselves, Cheshire gave them a friendly smile before continuing.

"Wisp, how far can you teleport, and can you make blind jumps? I can make it into the plant in one. Revenant, how fast can you move? If you can't keep up, myself, or possibly Wisp could carry you along? And you're right Wisp, we'll need to pick up Haz-mat suits first."

"My personal best is about 900 feet in one shot," Wisp answered to the sharply dressed swordswoman, "And yeah, blind jumps I can do." Placing a hand on Revenant's shoulder she nodded at Cheshire Blade, "Meet you there." In a plume of her bi-colored smoke the two vanished from the gates and in seconds she and her pale 'cargo' where inside, hot on Heavy Metal's heals.

The reactor left Wisp feeling a little strange but she shrugged it off and focused on her goal, the metallic man with the bad attitude, "Okay big guy, round two." As they moved forward, she made sure to keep an eye out for anything that looked event remotely like a Haz-Mat suit.

The journey was brief and uneventful, and a little of an anti-climax, but she was happy that Wisp was as skilled as she was; she wasn’t ready to spend another 80 years in a wall.

She though that she saw Wisp flinch a little as they arrived, how dangerous was this stuff? She knew that these materials produced Becquerel Rays but they just ruined photo plates didn’t they. Then again a lot of years had passed. She wasn’t sure if her newfound reliance would protect her than again if it was as serious as Wisp had sais then it wouldn’t matter.

Lucy gave the other woman a thin smile. â€Go find those Suits for your and Cheshire. I’ll be fine I’m tougher than I look." she was amazed how natural the lie sounded even to herself â€I’ll try to delay our him for as long as I can.â€

Her shoes made strange sound on the strange metal flooring as she wandered around, looking for both some kind of weapon and this Heavy Metal. She’d like to have made a full search, but time was ticking down, time for a new tactic.

â€Heavy Metal wasn’t it? I must say I’m impressed with what you done here so far. It’s humbling really to be bested by someone as intelligent as yourself. Though I was wondering if you could answer me just one question?†she shouted at the top of her voice, hoping he was vain enough to take the bait…

GM

Heavy Metal was half way through extracting a glwoing green rod from the reactor core. He already had a pile of 5 on the floor by him.

Revenant didn't have a gieger counter in her hand, but somehow it was pretty obvious that if thare had been one, it would have gone crazy.

"Yes, Impressive Isn't it?" laughed Heavy Metal.

"This body, pure uranium! I don't know exactly how it happened, but I just glow with power now. And I intend to stay this way. No going back. The future is so bright!"

He pulled the rod completely out of the reactor.

"Normally I would be glad to answer your questions young lady" he said, brandishing the rod like it was made of paper. "Quite happy to give lectures on nuclear physics normally. But you see, I am afraid the levels of radiation here are quite lethal, so any information I give to you will be quite worthless, as you will be dead in minutes! hahaha!"

GM"But you see, I am afraid the levels of radiation here are quite lethal, so any information I give to you will be quite worthless, as you will be dead in minutes! hahaha!"

"Well, that still leave plenty of time smash you down, doesn't it?" said a confident Cheshire, appearing just in time to catch the last of Heavy Metal's statement.

Prescott took up a loose stance while the air around her began to shimmer slightly. Apparently ignoring the radiation herself, Cheshire glanced at Lucy. "Revenant, you might want to get into one of those suits before you get sick. I can handle the walking carcinogen until then."

Wisp moved quickly up to Heavy Metal, her fist swirling with the red and white smoke that usually accompanied her teleportation, instead she hauled off and decked the metal-man as hard as she could in his sternum. He gave a grimace of discomfort as her attempt to scramble his atoms with a partial teleport. Her smoke drifted around his body and... seemingly did nothing to him. "Well, crap in a bucket," she muttered, standing in front of a guy who could easily swat her down like a shoe on a roach.

Revenant’s face fixed into a determined look, this man was beginning to annoy her. Plus she was worried that despite all the bravado Cheshire and Wisp, and maybe herself, were in trouble of being damaged just by being in this place.

With no style, and no real technique, she stepped forwards and planted a large blow straight onto his face, square between the eyes.

She was sure a flash of surprise flashed across his smug little face, a small victory in any case. With a wry smile she informed him.

â€Tried dying, didn’t take…â€

GM

Heavy Metal laughed at Wisps attempt to scramble his body. "Fool! My body is pure uranium! Bonded by atomic forces beyond the comprehension of your puny mind! contemplate your idiocy as the power of this nuclear reactor erodes your weak flesh! hahahaha!"

Emboldened by his power, he turned to face Revenant.

"And as for you, my pretty, I hardly think a weakly little thing of flesh and skin poses any threat to me! Pathetic! Give it your best sho....Ouch!!!!"

He took a few steps back and dropped the glowing glowing green rod, as Revenants blow caught him squarely on the nose and forced his head back. It was hard to tell with his dull metal body, but it was quite possible his eyes briefly crossed...