(OOC) Good old fashioned legwork

MarkK

Having been requested to make this thread here..

The Emissary will be starting off in the Lantern Hill area, taking a full day and night for a thorough canvass of it, knocking on doors, talking to people he comes across in the street, and the like, trying to determine if anyone saw anything wierd or relevant or standing out around the general time both before and after the body was found in the Lantern Hill cemetary. He'll start outward from homes and businesses and the streets, and contract inwards to the point of the actual cemetary staff/mourners that visit it and the like, if they had even seen people just generally messing around the cemetary at night other times on a semi regular basis that he could find and question if /they/ had seen anything, and etc.

Also, he will take advantage of Jack of All trades, and having some access to Freedom Hall to research into any records they have on wierd stuff and the Liberty League's dealings with Lantern Jack, by way of taking 20 on a knowledge: arcane lore check (for a 25 result overall) to see if he can find a way to get Lantern Jack's notice in order to ask him if he saw or has sensed or otherwise come to know anything with regards to what happened as far as Hanks' body being dropped off there.

After that, and the pursuit of whatever leads and information that ultimately results in, he will move on to seeing if Hanks had any family in the city, talking to them. He'll try to talk to the guy's co workers as well, ask things like when they last saw him, how he'd seemed for the last few weeks, what he was working on, if he'd done or said anything notable, similar questions for theoretical family as well. And as far as his father's concerns, keep an eye to if they do or say anything particularly hinky with regards to talking with him period.

The Emissary will be starting off in the Lantern Hill area, taking a full day and night for a thorough canvass of it, knocking on doors, talking to people he comes across in the street, and the like, trying to determine if anyone saw anything wierd or relevant or standing out around the general time both before and after the body was found in the Lantern Hill cemetary. He'll start outward from homes and businesses and the streets, and contract inwards to the point of the actual cemetary staff/mourners that visit it and the like, if they had even seen people just generally messing around the cemetary at night other times on a semi regular basis that he could find and question if /they/ had seen anything, and etc.

Also, he will take advantage of Jack of All trades, and having some access to Freedom Hall to research into any records they have on wierd stuff and the Liberty League's dealings with Lantern Jack, by way of taking 20 on a knowledge: arcane lore check (for a 25 result overall) to see if he can find a way to get Lantern Jack's notice in order to ask him if he saw or has sensed or otherwise come to know anything with regards to what happened as far as Hanks' body being dropped off there.

After that, and the pursuit of whatever leads and information that ultimately results in, he will move on to seeing if Hanks had any family in the city, talking to them. He'll try to talk to the guy's co workers as well, ask things like when they last saw him, how he'd seemed for the last few weeks, what he was working on, if he'd done or said anything notable, similar questions for theoretical family as well. And as far as his father's concerns, keep an eye to if they do or say anything particularly hinky with regards to talking with him period.

I'll be moving this to somewhere in North Freedom after I see that you've seen this post.

The first portion is a Gather Information check, which you can either take 10 on or roll for. Either way, you're getting a +4 bonus from your exhaustive search combined with your diplomatic status (which works a little like fame might for these purposes).

Even with taking 20, the Emissary doesn't have anything identified on how to contact Lantern Jack directly. Both he and the Phantom Cab seem to appear when they are needed, and disappear just as swiftly. There's a lot of research that tries to determine the relationship between the two of them, if any. It also lists a number of superheroes who have dealt with Lantern Jack in the past. They include Adrian Eldrich, the Centurion, Lady Liberty (which after further research reveals that it was the current Lady Liberty's predecessor), the Envoy, and the Patriot. Few of the Allies of Freedom dealt with Lantern Jack directly, as they were fighting overseas.

The only relative that you can find of Dr. Hanks is his mother, Patricia Hanks. He doesn't appear to have had a wife, lover, or any level of personal contacts outside of his family.

I'll be moving this to somewhere in North Freedom after I see that you've seen this post.

The first portion is a Gather Information check, which you can either take 10 on or roll for. Either way, you're getting a +4 bonus from your exhaustive search combined with your diplomatic status (which works a little like fame might for these purposes).

Even with taking 20, the Emissary doesn't have anything identified on how to contact Lantern Jack directly. Both he and the Phantom Cab seem to appear when they are needed, and disappear just as swiftly. There's a lot of research that tries to determine the relationship between the two of them, if any. It also lists a number of superheroes who have dealt with Lantern Jack in the past. They include Adrian Eldrich, the Centurion, Lady Liberty (which after further research reveals that it was the current Lady Liberty's predecessor), the Envoy, and the Patriot. Few of the Allies of Freedom dealt with Lantern Jack directly, as they were fighting overseas.

The only relative that you can find of Dr. Hanks is his mother, Patricia Hanks. He doesn't appear to have had a wife, lover, or any level of personal contacts outside of his family.

There weren't many people out the night that Dr. Hanks was found, and the police report indicated that he had died between 8 and 12 hours before he was discovered. Most of the people that the Emissary talks to say that they were in bed that night, and they seem to be telling the truth. A few of them lie to you, but if he digs further, it's to protect themselves from things like "out drinking" or "sleeping with a man not my husband" rather than being near the cemetary. It almost seems like the killer chose a place to leave the body that would both be out of the way, and fairly public during waking hours.

The cemetary guards can name a few kids who like to hang around and act like goths. Most of them don't cause trouble (the ones that do are shown out quickly, since Lantern Jack doesn't appreciate troublemakers, and it doesn't take much to frighten people). When the Emissary seeks them out, one of them says something about seeing a whole bunch of people in robes around the cemetary one night, but he thinks that was over a month before Dr. Hanks was killed.

There weren't many people out the night that Dr. Hanks was found, and the police report indicated that he had died between 8 and 12 hours before he was discovered. Most of the people that the Emissary talks to say that they were in bed that night, and they seem to be telling the truth. A few of them lie to you, but if he digs further, it's to protect themselves from things like "out drinking" or "sleeping with a man not my husband" rather than being near the cemetary. It almost seems like the killer chose a place to leave the body that would both be out of the way, and fairly public during waking hours.

The cemetary guards can name a few kids who like to hang around and act like goths. Most of them don't cause trouble (the ones that do are shown out quickly, since Lantern Jack doesn't appreciate troublemakers, and it doesn't take much to frighten people). When the Emissary seeks them out, one of them says something about seeing a whole bunch of people in robes around the cemetary one night, but he thinks that was over a month before Dr. Hanks was killed.

The robed men were dressed in yellow robes, and the kid can point out the grave that they were standing at for most of the time that they were there. It's one of the older ones, and the name that was written on the tombstone has faded away. "They were there for at least an hour," he tells you. "I had left and came back, and they were there. They just gave me a bad feeling."

We can continue this line of questioning here. I'll make up a thread (hopefully later tonight) for any discussion with Hanks' mother.

The robed men were dressed in yellow robes, and the kid can point out the grave that they were standing at for most of the time that they were there. It's one of the older ones, and the name that was written on the tombstone has faded away. "They were there for at least an hour," he tells you. "I had left and came back, and they were there. They just gave me a bad feeling."

We can continue this line of questioning here. I'll make up a thread (hopefully later tonight) for any discussion with Hanks' mother.

• 2 weeks later...

He'll try and get a more detailed description of where they were, what they were doing and saying, what directions they came from, and go examine the area they were pointed out as being in, in order to be thorough, but barring results of that, he'd move on to chatting up the mother, yes.

He'll try and get a more detailed description of where they were, what they were doing and saying, what directions they came from, and go examine the area they were pointed out as being in, in order to be thorough, but barring results of that, he'd move on to chatting up the mother, yes.

There's not much more detail that you can get beyond the exact grave, which the kid can lead you to. He didn't see them when they entered, or if he did, he can't remember. It was weird, but it was also quite a while ago, and the memory has faded.

I apologize for not starting up the thread to meet the parent earlier; it slipped my mind when I didn't make an IC thread to track.

There's not much more detail that you can get beyond the exact grave, which the kid can lead you to. He didn't see them when they entered, or if he did, he can't remember. It was weird, but it was also quite a while ago, and the memory has faded.

I apologize for not starting up the thread to meet the parent earlier; it slipped my mind when I didn't make an IC thread to track.