Vanguard

Setzer

Da Helllll Q!!!

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

Vanguard, brawler with a shield and a strong spirit

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Yes, Vanguard. In fact, Vanguard is the code name he uses when he is on patrol

What is your full birth name?

Manuel Rodriguez Rubio

Where do you live?

Freedom City, New Jersey, USA, West End, 3rd B

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

32 years old. You can do the maths.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male

How would you describe your heritage?

Well, I´m spanish... we have a long tradition of not letting anyone step on us. Other than that, my parents always taught me that you had to stay true to what you are.

How tall are you?

What is your body type?

Athletic and muscular. Not bodybuilding muscular, practical muscles

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Errr... not that I´m aware of, not.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

Sure-footed. Yes, I can be stealthy if I need it. Confidence? Yes, I suppose. You have to be firm.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Brown hair, near black. Skin tanned, cause I made life in the outside. Eyes? i have one of those blue but not bright blue eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Short and a little turbulent, no comb can bend it. Do I have facial hair? What kind of question is that? I shave daily... If I do it at morning by the night the shadow looms. So yes, I have stubble more days than not.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Uh, ain´t no supermodel, but I´m not a hideous guy either. Others find me pleasing to the eye, yes.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Oh yeah, a few of the first. Never friend of piercings BTW. A little spot in my back and in the ankle.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not that I know, I would have been said that.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

In battle I wear that combat armor with the shield. When in normal life I am a friend of comfortable clothes, jeans, tank tops, t-shirts ...

Do you wear makeup?

Wait, what?

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

People says I have a firm, compelling voice. A little down in the voice spectre. I can talk my way most times. Occasionally I miss a word in the language, cosas que pasan... I mean, it happens.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Yes. I tend to drum my fingers when I have nothing to do. And I crack the neck occasionally. Sure they notice, and probably they´ll be annoyed. It´s what happens with tics.

History

Where do you come from?

From Leon, Spain, and from Little Havana, Miami.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Yep. From my birthplace to Miami, from Miami to Freedom City.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Yes. I´m a proud citizen. I don´t know if there is something as vague as a fatherland, and I don´t care... I´m a patriot for the people I care. Government? Eh, I don´t mess with politics.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

No bad feelings, but a bunch of bad memories.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

It was a small country town, quiet and relaxed. Cows and hens and pigs, you get it.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I grew in a place full of my minority, so... minority for the rest of the city, one of them in LH. Not very bad, Miami is not a very racist people, and have a place where you feel one more is very important.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Sure! I´ve always very good with my hands, a strong man, and not afraid of hard work. I´d say that made ​​me the man I am today.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not at early life. All misfortune came when I was old enough to bear´em.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

The night my parents told me we were going to live with the rest of the family to Miami. A truly remarkable night.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

What, do you want a list? Breaking an arm learning to skate, trying to dismantle my neighbour´ TV, enter overnight in a gym with some friends to do a fight ...

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

In LH, in the Granada school. I´ve never done a professional career, but the rest. Enjoy? Hrmmm... well... I didn´t hate it with a passion.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Not much more than pictures of youth with the family that everybody keeps. Also I have some of the tools I have, which were of my father before me.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Well not too long ago, and am not sure if I am what is called a hero. Everybody had a little influence in my decision, but her brother was the last straw. You can´t simply walk in a world where those things happen without try to do something. I wish I could fly or lift a tank though.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Mnnno, nope. Why would I do that?

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Everybody has times for not being very proud of oneself. Not earth-shattering secrets, but little things you did (and perhaps you shouldn´t). But I´d never hide something big, I´m no criminal.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I think not. I´m very aware that I am what I am, and that´s what I am.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I would feel ashamed, but nothing to write home about.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No. I´m clean, and proud of it.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Manuel Rodriguez Teja and Maria Rubio White

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My father was a carpenter and farmer. My mother was a housewife.

Where are your parents now?

Saint Sebastian´s cemetery in Leon. Side by side.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

One time is not exacty "a lot", so... they stayed.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable)

We were a family. We had arguments and whatnot, but we were a family. And I would not have wanted otherwise.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

From the heaven.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

No. Lucia was dead before I born.

What was your birth order in the family?

The youngest (the second one).

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

RIP

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I visit them one in a year or two if I can. I have flowers for them.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

I loved my father as an example and role model. He was a wise man.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Hrm. I have a second-grade cousin who is a, ehr, "consultant" in Miami.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

See above.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Well, it is assumed that in my family we descended from Blas de Lezo and Alvar Fañez. I don´t know if is a legend or has some truth, probably the first.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

The lil Katie. Four years last wednesday, most cute child ever, and very clever... more that the ass she has for father, that´s for sure.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Next!

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I don´t know, really. I see that kind of things when I meet a girl, there isn´t guidelines to follow apparently. I like funny girls with long hair, and not much more. It depends greatly on the person. One does not know when the heart will go bump with a girl... but now I have a child and must be extra careful with those things.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Why yes, of course. You have Ernie Ross, the local clerk, one of the guys to talk, drink a few beers while watching television and no real need of talking because silence works too very well. Ellie Clemson is exactly what you think when they talk about "middle-aged desk police officer" and she is tough as nails too, not very fond of a group of idiots running all the way but cool about giving an advice or two about how to do the work. Tad Beaumont, Mojamé, Juan Fierros and Vitorio Panzeca are the closest of the neighbors, the kinda people you go share a few drinks, talks or sundays´ sport afternoons. Paddy is Tad´s dog, german shepherd extraordinaire. Seriously, good dog.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Ernie Ross. One of that friendships that simply happens. First he was a gas station attendant with so much free time and I was a guy without fixed job, and then he had his own selling store and I was one of the regulars... nice guy.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My family, my friends, my neighbors...

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Yes. I´ve already talked about that. I´m not going to repeat it. Look for the document.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Um, not yet?

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

KILLING MY WIFE. Period.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

With my people and my duty. The rest is only an expansion of the former.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My comrades in the Patrol. I don´t know, but I rhink I´m starting to understand what are militar talking about. When you risk your guts back by back with someone is hard not to trust em.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Anyone that makes a living with the naivety, stupidity or human weakness. Special place for hard-line drug dealers.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

I admire force of will, the force to overcome your weakness and problems. I admire the people that don´t need others but don´t reclude themselves. I have a fond respect for the people with technic knowledges, specially if they are born from practice, but despise the "smug bookworm" type. Perhaps, except the later: never was the erudite type. I wish I were...

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Excessive egoism, greed and cowardice. Dishonest people also tingle my nose. I hope not!

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Nuh-uh. Only my codename.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Why yes, I´m grown very fond of teamwork the last months. I´ve occuped the leader role almost by accident, and looks like I have a leader vein.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Nope.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Eh, I go to church ocasionally, but never was the churchy type. Spend most time with the West End Patrol, doing this and that, preventing and repairing...

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Well, everyone loved Centurion, and I am not an exception. Also admires a few people I have read about. Ah, and Sandy Koufax.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

When I was young had that "bad people is cool" nonsense. Thank godness I become a boy with half a brain.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I´m a hero? If this is being one, is... pretty rewarding by itself. You are exhausted and worked out, but you like what you are doing, and wish the day had more hours for still doing even more.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I can´t lie myself. If my dearest were in death peril, I...

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Pay the bills, see my Kat in shool, maybe buying a new refrigerator.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Make West the calm, cheerful, crime-free place it deserves to be. Seeing my little with a fullfilling life and grow old and satisfied. Getting a few more bucks in my pocket woudn´t be awful either.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Death of my closest. What would I do? Well... I... maybe I react excessively... but I really try not to do...

Is there anything you would give you life for?

Um, we go patrol a zone where thugs with long-caliber weapons have been seen. That is pretty self-responding. There are things totally worth risking it for.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I´d like to have a little more, but hey, I´m cool. When I have spare money tend to share it (this time the round is mine!). Money should be the signal of how much you have worked. It should be.

How do you generally treat others?

I think I treat them the way I´d want to be treated.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Yes, I am. Everybody deserves a little bit of credit atleast for respect themselves. That´s not the same that being a gullible idiot, be careful.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

More like the second, but have my independent vein. I´ve good aware of my strenghts... and weaknesses.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Casual discrete flirting, if both are interested. Depends of the situation.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Holier-than-Thous. Geez! If that´s your world view, you have a problem, man.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Anything made of meat, potatoes or fried. Spices. Also peaches and melon. I eat fast, but taste the food too.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Fresh beer in summer.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Cheescake or that homemade cake with chocolate and cookies.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Anything born in England. Sorry but just... just... no. Kidneys, liver, head cheese.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Dark blue.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Jazz, rock&roll, depends on the music. I hate that POUMPOUMPOUM nonsense.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Hmmm... wet grass in a summer night.

Do you have a favorite animal?

The bear.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Actually I´d say the shield. I mean, it can blocks bullets! I have saved at least 15 people with it.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

A little of both.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Lots of things. I´m a decent man, you know.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

Not very much. I´m more a material down-to-earth person.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Not that I remember.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Next!

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I probably could. I haven´t killed. I´ll never kill. If circumstances were extreme, I´d think about it.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

My life, and the example of the people that made me like that.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Yes. I don´t know, if a complete monster were roaming the streets, or if you can´t do anything else...

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I´ve seen before. It´s never ok, not for you, not for them. My reaction would be pretty much the same, but I´d heard what they have to say.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I´d be very pissed, that is for sure.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I don´t know until it occurs. Depends on the right of the humiliation.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I´d be stunned. Has happened before. Life continues, but...

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Rape. Physical or mental. The mere idea of it is... brrrhhhh!

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Have a long talk with my Katie, talk to the family, go play a little baseball or soccer, goin´ drink with the friends, climb a mountain and see the sunset there up.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Special is "as normal, but massive"? Then yes. Nothing like a special forces training, I´m afraid...

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

I am a self-taught person, but the old Doc Charles was a boxing trainer that built a few low-grade heroes in the 80. You know the guy, looks like old Fat Albert.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

The shield training. I don´t know, that shield were incredibly useful and then I thought "why not use it as a weapon too, being that well balanced?". And now here am I.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

Of course, I still do muy living. Going with a shield may be cool but don´t pay bills. And I have no problem with working by myself.

What is your preferred combat style?

Brawling, full-contact strikes mixed boxing and contact training.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Hmmmmnooope.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Everything that requires trained abilities like tactical warfare, urban knowledge and others. I wish I could do incredibly over-human things like I´ve seen, that would be incredible useful. But one plays with the cards he has.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Try and learn. They´ve worked hard for it, after all. If they didn´t act like arrogant pricks there are no problems.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Wake up, a few stretches, back scratching, shaving, shower, a meager breakfast, a little tv or magazines, going to the training, running a little, working, lunch, again working, going to have a little chat, or a few drinks, or a ball play, go home, little training, patrol time, dinner, a little more patrol time. Actually the routine is usually breaked, but only when it interrupts good things I get upset.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I like baseball, motorcycles, TV fighting shows...

What do you do for fun?

Go and talk or play with friends, use the TV, play videogames...

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

No, I have an combat armor. But it´s near a superhero costume, blue armor?

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

We´ve talked about this before. I´m sure.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

My room is almost always warm, so, shorts

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

No. I wear a watch and anything else.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

The bank?

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

By foot or motorcycle. You know, I´ve always loved being in a boat.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

Since last time yes, I have think about it. But not yet.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

DNA? I´m not very much into real science stuff. Ask Archeville about it, he´s the best in the world, like Einstein but fighting crime.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

A good man and a good father.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Why should I be a threat? Srsly, don´t get it.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My aptitude to working hard withouth rest. My perseverance.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Being a simpleton, a short-minded man. Being a simple human, in fact.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

[in spanish] Relájate, trata de no pensar tanto las cosas y déjate llevar, si te familiarizases más sería mejor.

• 1 month later...

(IN CONSTRUCTION)

Twenty Questions!

Summer afternoon. A transparent glass table and a couple of cups separate the two partners, one of them is famous enough to not be necessary to describe it, while the other is a muscular man with a tank top and a bandage covering his face half and arm.

Rick "Voyeur" Royer: Thank you for your welcome, Vanguard

Manuel Rubio, Vanguard: You're welcome. It was a real surprise to receive notice that someone wanted to interview me. Not to mention someone like you.

RVR: Oh, is that an insult? (smile)

VAN: Not in the least, you can believe me (shakes with emphasis) It's just that I never figured I could have an interview with Rick Royer, ever (uncomfortable smile) I feel a little... diva?

RVR: But you´re gaining quite a name, that´s what they say. Especially after the attack ... I hope you are well indeed.

VAN: Oh, I told you, it's nothing ... (shrugs and tries to stand, with a little sigh) Ouch. Well... let´s start with this, right?

RVR: Right. Just relax and let yourself go...

"Let´s talk a little about you, Vanguard. You are one of the heros that don´t have a secret identity. But still, you have an alias and the costume. Can we ask why?"

Sure thing. What I mean is I have a civilian identity as everyone else. This started as a patrol of the neighborhood, and I do not quit merit from any of them. They risk as much as I do and they do it face off... why should I be different? Every one of us risk our lifes for the people we care of. I´m not one of those "cape-haters" as someone has told me; got the secret identity and the costume, but anyone that cares about it can also get my profil with ease. Even if I had all that, with how bad I am hiding things does not last long (laughs)

"Now, now. Talk a little about yourself, big man"

As I said, I´m from Spain, but I´ve lived in Miami most of my life. You can tell it for my grammar and the fact I let the occasional spanglish, sorry about that. I´m a five years old freedomer.

"...and about those people and your costume..."

No, that´s a thing I can´t really understand. What is the problem? They look for the costume and say "oh, look at him, mister American Patriot. Another bigot right-wing fanatic". Sigh. Why that obsession with the banner representing a totalitarian dystopia? I´m not into politics. What I really mean is what the banner represents. "...?" This country was founded on the hope of many people, those who sought a better future for themselves, their family and friends. Of those who had a dream about a land of opportunity and freedom. This is Freedom City. This is the Opportunity land. And this ... this is the dream. A dream worth fighting until the end.

"How would yo describe yourself? People talk about your phisique, but, what do you think when you look in a mirror?"

They say THAT? Whoah, who would have told it (shocked) I must admit, when I look into the mirror, that I´m in pretty good shape "Now that´s an understatement!" [...]yeah. I mean, the training I've been doing all these months and running, jumping and fighting it´s showing. Sometimes I wonder where I left my beer belly...

"strengths and weakness. People want to know THE TRUTH!"

That´s not a little dangerous? Anyway, it´s not like it were a secret or something. As all can see, I´m strong, fast and resilient. And I can not be very smart (forget the can not, I´m not), but they say I have a way with people. And you know what I can do with my shield, I can assure you that is no small feet mantain the grip when the blasts rain and catch it in the right second. What I lack... well, powers. People in the business can lift tanks, going invisible, grow 500 ft and the like. Impressibe. Me, well, if they have a bullet I have the armor jacket and anything else (shrugged)