"Point," Erik conceded with a deep nod. "I have to keep reminding myself that you're not exactly new to this," he continued with a note of apology, unfolding his arms to rub the back of his neck with one hand. "That said, don't get overconfident." A wry smirk replaced his more pensive expression as he pointed a thumb towards his own chest. "That's my job. Now, let's start with your opening stance."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A...year?" Mara paused, frowning and tilting her head as she ran her memory back through the events of those early months. "I think. Close to, maybe slightly more...hard to tell. Perfect memory, but not as helpful when trying to remember moments when your sense of time was still...." She paused again, gesturing with one hand like she either wasn't sure how to phrase it or wanted to pick her emphasis very carefully. "....uneven."

She brushed the hair back again - it kept escaping! - and pulled a wry look as she switched tracks back to Erik. "Overconfident...mmh. Insulted. Exactly as confident as I need to be at any given time."

Ellie's expression tightened at Mara's inability to recall the time immediately following her escape with any certainty. She'd had some time to get used to the idea of the young inventor imprisonment and mistreatment, but it still felt like a punch to the stomach every time it was brought up, especially when she was reminded of the lasting damage those years had left behind.

Her brother's reaction was more easily read; Erik knew just enough about Mara's history for the Espadas family's streak of over-protectiveness to kick in. Noting that his young sibling was not commenting on it, however, he followed her lead and instead addressed the latter statement with a smile that was slightly forced. "Ha, well, most people are only really overconfident once, if you catch my drift."

Blinking, Mara glanced back and forth between Ellie and Ellie's brother as she picked up on the edges of the forced expressions and hidden reactions. what? - seem - mmh - stupid - should have anticipated - too used to it myself - work on projected reactions - practice? - later - address it? - seems best to let it go "Jokes aside - do try to be more careful than I look. Usually take time to prepare before fights. Or...mostly usually?"

She frowned, looking dissatisfied with that. "Not always time. Very annoying...easier when storming mob hideouts, gang dens. On the offensive. Harder when giant gorillas attack parks. Tangent." She waved a hand, brushing the train of thought aside for now. "But, yes. Try not to be too confident. Can't afford to get too hurt, anyway. Not allowed."

"Glad to hear that's finally sinking in," Ellie sniffed haughtily. To be fair, the healer's powers could repair all but the most grievous injuries, but preferably it should never have to come to that. "y'know, thinking about it, in practice you're usually a lot better about keeping yourself from getting beat up that some people I could mention," she added, tapping a finger against her chin significantly.

"Hey, do as I say, not as I do, alright?" her brother defended himself. "I'm not exactly a big planner, true. But you can sort of think of training as really, really general preparation, see?"

"Don't have to keep....phrase....'selling me' on training," Mara dryly pointed out, raising an eyebrow at Erik. "Am already here. Of own free will. May not always look forward to the idea, but can see the benefits. Strength, reflexes, stamina. Better experience, better ability to plan. All good for better results when it matters."

She paused as something occurred to her, and clearly couldn't resist. The corner of her mouth tugged a little as she added, deadpan, "Probably good for fights, too."

While Ellie broke out into laughter, making only a token effort to subdue the chuckles, Erik shot Mara an accusatory glare. "You were saving that, weren't you?" he sighed, shaking his head and throwing up his hands in exasperation as he turned away. "If you're going to be like that, drop and give me, say, twenty five."

His sister's laughter died away as she regarded him with a raised eyebrow. "...seriously?"

"Note serious face," Erik responded, turning back around to face them. "You too, hermanita, you've been slacking lately."

Mara's face was the sort of image you'd see as a picture next to the dictionary definition of 'blank', with just a touch of confusion that said Erik might as well have started speaking Lor for all that she knew what he was talking about. "Drop and what?" she asked, though the question was answered as soon as she saw Ellie assuming a push-up position. "....mmh."

The young engineer did somewhat more poorly at the 25 than she had against the drones, clearly more used to fighting than she was used to relying on her upper-body strength. Still, harder thought it might be, she was entirely too stubborn not to finish the full set.