Revenant (Lucy Harker)

From the autobiography of Lucy Harker, unpublished

I knew it had to be done eventually, even if just for morbid fascination. Better to do it now before I embark on whatever I decide for my future.

I had to visit my grave.

I knew exactly where to go. My parent’s, when they thought I was asleep, would often talk about their plans for the future, especially on the dark nights when a storm was gathering. Often my mother would say they should be buried in the ground, unlike poor Lucy. Even then I knew this was someone else, someone I was named after, someone they would never talk about, especially my mother.

I moved faster than I use to, but it still took me the whole day to travel to Lantern Hill. By the time I arrived the sun was already going down. And the moon was already in the sky when I entered the Cemetery.

I found it under the shade of an English Oak, a stranger to this land just like my parents, a simple white stone with just my name and the date of my birth and death. They had gone for the day I went missing, though they must have held on to hope for some time after that. Though I couldn’t be sure as they didn’t seem have been buried here, the family plot contained only my stone.

As I knelt there lost in my thought a light appeared behind me. I froze, not daring to turn around; even in my time there were myths and legends of a presence on the hill. But all that happened was that something, someone, stood behind me bathing me in an eerie light. I swear that the figure bowed there head, though it could have been my imagination, and then they were gone.

Whether it was the light, or maybe the time spent in contemplation, but my spirits felt lifted. I sat under the tree and spent the rest of the night planning my future, further invigorated by the bright light of a dawn of a new day.

It only as I was leaving did I notice that someone had left a flower on my grave.

A single black rose…

• 2 weeks later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

A woman cut adrift from her own time and thrust into the exciting 21st century.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Just Revenant.

What is your full birth name?

Lucy Isabella Harker.

Where do you live?

The streets of Freedom City.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I was born 114 years ago, physically I don't look a day over 30.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female.

How would you describe your heritage?

Both my parents were English, though I was born here in this city.

How tall are you?

5’3â€

What is your body type?

Lithe

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

My body seems to keep itself in a perfect state.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I learned early in my career to carry myself with confidence, despite what’s going on around me.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

My skin is deathly pale and cold to the touch. My eye once a rich brown are now a solid black. Only my hair is it original color, black.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

Cut into a fashionable bob, well at least for my time.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Others have commented that I look quite attractive, I'm not sure having spent many a year trying not to stand out to much.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

The only mark I now carry is a small dimple on my forehead where I was shot.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

I always thought I look a little like Louise Brooks.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Sinister I'm afraid.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

The only clothing I own is the suit I was killed in.

Do you wear makeup?

No

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I'm quite capable of projecting my voice so that a whole courtroom can hear what I'm saying.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Not that I'm aware off.

History

Where do you come from?

I was born and raised in Freedom City.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I was never able to travel beyond the city.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I gave my life to defend its justice system, how could I not be a patriot?

How do you feel about the place you come from?

The funny thing about living on the streets is you see the best and worst of people. I think, or at least hope, that most people in this city are good.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Right here in the city.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Adults from where I grew up were always a little wary of me, as if I was cursed. After a few fights most of the children accepted me, though a few were always wary.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Looking on the bright side, and grasping any opportunity as it came along. Not always for the best, but it did get me here.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My mother always seemed a little sad, though she tried to hide it from me. It seems something happened to her before I was born, though I could never find out what.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

When I was small some of the children would tease me because I was "different", except for one boy who would always defend those weaker than him. When I got a little older and could fight I did the same because it just seemed right.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I was a bit of tomboy and a young girl, ah the tales I could tell.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I was educated in the local school in the area. When I decided to follow in my father’s footsteps they managed to get me a place at the predaceous Freedom College.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

I don't know if anything has survived from my childhood.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

When I was a lawyer I could do my bit to help people, but the system of the time held me back. The Mystery Men on the other hand were the big boy, helping people because it right. Now I can return the favor.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

No why would it?

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

However tough it was, and however temping, I never took the easy option. So no deep dark secrets for me.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Maybe I come from an easier time, but I never felt the need to represent myself as anything but who I am.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

n/a

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

None

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Abraham & Florence Harker.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My mother was a School Teacher and my father was a Lawyer. They always seemed to keep a low profile, not standing out in the community.

Where are your parents now?

They must both be dead by now.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

My parents move to America from the UK to start a new life.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I loved them with every fiber of my heart, I miss them terribly.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I know they were proud of what I had achieved. I know they would have been proud of what I’m doing now.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Three brothers Quincey, Jonathan, Arthur and a sister Katie.

What was your birth order in the family?

I was the second born.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

I don’t know if any of them still live.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I use to stay in regular contact before I died, it would nice to re-contact them if they still survive.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

We often squabbled, like siblings do, but never anything serious.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

I was always close to my mother, though she was often distant to us all.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

None that I’m aware off.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

No my family is small and rather unremarkable.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Sadly no.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I’m not sure if I can, but I would have loved to have a child.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I believe I had met him, but he must have died years ago.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I don’t know anyone yet in this new century.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Hopefully I was find a new friend, all of whom I shall hold closely.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

People have mourned my loss, but that was long ago.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

All of them.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Alas he is now beyond my reach.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Ironical in aiming to end all my future he has given me an entire new one.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Killed me and buried me in concrete.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

My family first then my friends then my colleges.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

At the moment the only person I have to trust is myself.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

The late Don Giovanni, may he rot in hell.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Integrity and the desire to help others.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Those that try to impose their will on others.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

I have no one who know me, or who I have to protect with a secret ID.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I’ll happily take orders, or take command if necessary.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

They exist? To spend time around other hero’s that would be a wonder.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

No.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

The early Mystery Men who appeared during the late 20’s.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

To me it’s as if there’re still active.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I love every minute of it.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

Maybe one day I’ll settle down for a while to live a normal life. But I’d never give up my principles.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

To build a new life, a little pool of “normalityâ€.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

To resume my old career as a lawyer.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Letting down people who need my help.

Is there anything you would give your life for?

To preserve the life of another.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

It’s not the money you earn it’s what you do with that money that determine the type of person you are.

How do you generally treat others?

With the respect they deserve.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I’ll trust someone until they prove me otherwise.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I carry myself with, I hope, just the right level of confidence.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Demure and lady like as is expected.

What are your most annoying habits?

I tend to act without considering if there is any danger involved.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Anyone who tries to force their wills on others.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

It seems I’ve lost the taste for food.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

As above.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

As above.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

None I’ve come across.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Violet

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I’ve always enjoyed a spot of Jazz, I’ve not had a chance to listen to much modern music.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Arpège by Lanvin.

Do you have a favorite animal?

I miss horses on the streets, they added character along with other things.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

I have nothing to treasure.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I’m quite happy living rough on the streets, but then again I feel no cold or hunger.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

No

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I’m still deciding. I’ve been given this second chance by someone, I’m still trying to figure out by who or what.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

I was raised by my parents as an Anglican

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I don’t attend any kind of service, though I do help the Nun down at the soup kitchen.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

No I could never take a life.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I’ve been given a second chance something few others have. Why should I deny anyone the life they deserve?

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Only the state has the right to kill someone for a crime, and only if proven beyond all doubt. That and times of war.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I would try my hardest to stop that person even if it cost me my life.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I would recover the item and have them arrested.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Depends on the circumstances, though if lives are at stake that comes first.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

Revenge is the first thing that most people would think off, but all I would want is justice. I hope my family received justice for those who took my life.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Cliqued as it is taking another’s life.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I’ve done and seen most of what I want already. And also I died already. I think I wound watch the city from sun-rise to sun-set.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Apart from the rough and tumble of childhood none.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

I’m self-taught, learning as I go along.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

No

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I was before a trained lawyer, at some point I’d like to re-enter the profession.

What is your preferred combat style?

I Improvise.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

No

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Learning to deal with these “Superâ€-Villains

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

How could I be jealous of people who have worked so hard to reach the pinnacle of their art. I just watch (with awe) and hope one day I can joint there ranks.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I wander the streets of this mighty city, taking in all the wonderful sights of this age. When I can I help people, including night helping at a soup kitchen. It’s a flexible routine fill with daily surprises.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

People watching, the variety of people you see is just fascinating.

What do you do for fun?

I spend my time watching television in shop windows, they have color and sound now.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I have no costume

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

My only clothes are the suit I was buried in.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

As above.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

Nothing

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I have a locker at the station where I keep my few belongings.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I don’t feel tired and I can travel at speed so mostly I travel by foot. That and having no money.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

Before I hadn’t seen the need, now I have nothing to share and no one to share it with.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

None I’ve aware off.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

I’ve have had the “honor†to be able to discover this already. I’m sure I’m a foot note in some history somewhere.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

As long as I hold onto my integrity and desire to help people I’ll be of no harm to others.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My ability to recover quickly from great harm.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My inexperience of the modern world.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Have fun and enjoy the wonders of the world, but be careful of those who would try and use you.

• 3 weeks later...

After a few minutes wait into the interview room blazed a young black woman who would go on to become one of my first friends in the 21st Century.

“Rhonda Rhodes, no relation…†she introduced herself with a tired little smile, of cause then I didn’t know about foundation founded by the late Alexander Rhodes.

She then when on to explain about what would happen to the Vampire I had captured and how everyone was a little jittery because of some incident just before I woke up. It was all going well until I used the N-word. No not that one, the other one, a rather innocent term in my time…

She didn’t raise her voice or get angry; Rhonda must have heard worst in her time. Instead she simply asked.

“Damn girl what century are you from?â€

So I told her, actually I told her everything, it was nice to actually get all these strange events off my chest.

She listened then gave a glance at her watch.

“Wow you’ve got it bad. Look I should be off duty already, how about I buy you a beer and welcome you to the 21st Century.â€

I nodded and stood up. Feeling the card in my pocket I came up with a plan.

â€Sure that sound like fun. Look could I borrow your sunglasses?â€

After an eventful night I finally found my old family home, in an area that it seems to have become a little India. When I saw that the place had rooms for rent I just had to have a look.

The woman who owned the place, Archana, was a little suspicious of me but after she was sure I wasn’t wasting her time (which I felt a little guilty as I was) she showed me up to the top room of the house. Which happened to be my old room growing up.

Right then I knew I had to have this room, so I dug around for the only money I had.

â€I’d like to rent this room but all I have is this.†I held up a single dollar bill.

She looked at the bill, an internal struggle going on behind those kind brown eyes.

“You know that bill is very old.†She held up a hand to stop my protest “And probably quite valuable.â€

â€Then maybe a deposit?†I smiled my best de-arming smile

“If you want a room around here, you must be a little short of money. Did you get caught in the credit crunch?â€

Not knowing what to say I just nodded.

“Then you’ll be needing a job…â€

And so I gained my first job in the city, working for her daughter Padma…

• 2 weeks later...

The afternoon had gone well, already they had consumed a bottle of wine and were well on the way to another.

“So explain this to me again.†Asked Lucy

Rhonda rolled her eyes in mock frustration “It’s a standard psyche test. They use them all over the place, I’ve seen then use in TV interviews and even interviews. Meant to show you mental sense.â€

“So it to see if I’m a good girl or not?†she laughed “I guess I’m in. Shoot.â€

At that point Yolanda, Rhonda girlfriend came in sitting on her lap and exchanging quite a passionate kiss. Lucy couldn’t help but smile.

“You sure you cool with this?†Rhonda asked after they’d finished. “You know with you being…â€

“From the 1920’s, not every Flapper was just interested in the Charleston and bathtub gin. And is that a question.â€

“No. Are you ready? And no that’s not a question.â€

Yolanda stood up, brushing Rhonda tenderly on the cheek. “The questions huh. I guess Lucy’s staying to supper.†She grinned broadly at Lucy “Don’t worry I’ll make it extra spicy.â€

Rhonda shot Lucy a look and open the sheet with the questions.

“1. Where are you from?â€

“The past?†Rhonda shot her a black look “Okay I’m from Freedom City.â€

“2. How would you physically describe yourself?â€

“What are those pale people, dressed all in black? Run that shop you took me to?â€

“You mean Goth’s?â€

“Yup that’s the one.â€

“3. Do you have any distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?â€

“Do I?â€

“No wait this is you’re questionnaire, I’m not going to do the work for you.â€

“So that’s a no then?â€

“You’re incorrigible. Next question then.â€

“4. What’s your motivation?â€

“To help people. More wine?â€

“Yes very cleaver. No right to the top.†Rhoda took a very large slip “Look you’ve driven me to drink. Right next question.â€

“5. What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?â€

“I regenerate, I not need to eat or sleep. Oh and I don’t get drunk…â€

“Okay right. Hey you didn’t tell me didn’t get drunk. Does that mean you remember everything that happened last time,†she looked horrified.

“No, bad memory is my character flaw.†She lied flawlessly.

“6. What do you love? What do you hate?â€

Yolanda strolled back in from the kitchen “You asking all these questions?†she poured a glass of wine

“Yolanda please this is serious. Well fairly serious.â€

“Bollywood and Goth boots and well the whole 21st Century.†Lucy smiled broadly “As for what I hate the normal stuff, injustice, hate and people trying to bully others.â€

“7. How would you describe your emotional state?â€

“Subtle isn’t it?â€

“Hey sometimes the direct approach works best.â€

“I’ll give you that. Then optimistic.â€

“8. What do you fear the most?â€

Lucy looked thoughtful for the moment “I don’t really fear anything, except maybe failure.â€

“9. What is your greatest ambition?â€

“I’d like to return to my former career.â€

“What did you use to do?â€

“I was a lawyer.â€

“Well nobody perfect…†Yolanda ducked back into the kitchen avoiding a deftly thrown plush cushion.

“10. How do you feel about the state of the world and your place in it?â€

“Well it’s not perfect, but everything seems so wonderful. You don’t know exactly what you’ve got.â€

“11. Do you have any prejudices? How do you get on with others?â€

Lucy didn’t say anything, just looked from Rhonda to Yolanda and back until she got the hint. Rhoda looked a little guilty and wrote something down on the sheet.

“12. Where do you loyalties lie? In what order?â€

“But I’m sort of freelance. I don’t know my friends?â€

“Aww that sweet, and good enough for me.â€

Yolanda wandered back over and a read the sheet over Rhonda’s shoulder.

“Oh can I ask this one. Do you have a lover?â€

Lucy sighed “No you know I’m single.â€

“Well why not? What about that man you were telling us about? That Frenchman.â€

“No! Well he’s sweet but he’s about half my age!â€

“Lucy, sweetie, you’re over 110â€

Lucy shrugged “Well he seems older.â€

“What about those you meet, you know the one we saw on TV.â€

“What Heavy Metal?â€

“Ewww no. I meant the girls.â€

“Look they were lovely and everything. But we fighting for our lives and trying not to die from radiation.â€

“So that’s not a no then?â€

“Yolanda please. Rhonda next question.â€

“13, no 14. Do you have family? Oh yeah sorry Lucy.â€

Yolanda gave Lucy a kiss on the head.

“It’s okay Lucy, were your family now.†She looked at the bottle “More wine I think.â€

“15. How would people closest to you describe you? No it’s okay I’ve got this.â€

Lucy made a quick grab for the sheet and read Rhonda’s word.

“That’s sweet Rhonda. Thanks.â€

“The sheet please. Okay 16. Are you a role model?â€

“I don’t think so. It would be nice one day…â€

“17. How spiritual are you?â€

“Still not sure. Have I told you I meet a Hindu god? Well he said he was.â€

Rhonda rolled her eyes “Yes you did. When do we get to meet Kapalini?â€

“Baby steps Rhonda. You might be a bit too much for her at the moment.â€

“18. Are you part of a team?â€

“Yeah have you met any of the League?â€

“Yolanda please!â€

“Sorry, I was just coming to say supper almost ready. So have you?â€

Lucy just laughed “No, not yet. “

“19. How do you feel about the place of metahumans and aliens on Earth?â€

“Well this one better get to the dinner table.â€

Rhonda shot Yolanda a dark look.

“Almost done dear. Lucy?â€

“Oh right. I was enjoying the stage show. Um, the good goods and the bad are bad. At least it seems to balance out.â€

“Last question dear, then we eat. 20. If you could give the past you a word of advice what would it be?â€

“Duck! Now let’s eat.â€

• 3 months later...

I often wonder how I survived awakening up into the 21st century and I’ve come to an unusual conclusion. It was a simple note quickly scrawled but meant in care.

Not long after I woke up I was attacked by some people for just being who I was something that I was only just begun to realize myself, the Un-dead. That night I was rescued in more ways than one by a hero called Silhouette not only did she help me defeat the hunters, and showed me a way I could use my new gifts to help, but she gave a little bit of paper with two telephone numbers.

One was her own number the other was for the renowned hero Nick Cimitiere. Not only is he a hero he’s also an expert on the way’s and mean of ghost and undead, someone who could explain to me about what I had become.

I never used the telephone number for that purpose; we finally meet in very different circumstances. But anytime I was a little low or struggling about what had become of me the fact that I had that piece of paper that I could if needed call for help was enough to get me through many difficult times.

As for Silhouettes number well that’s a story for different time…

• 3 weeks later...

Freedom Ledger, 4th January 2012

Undead woman declared “aliveâ€

In a city renowned for its moments of weirdness this has to be a first in the city. A woman has successfully argued in court that she is still legally alive, either though she is one of the “undeadâ€.

It seems that when the unfortunate Lucy Harker was murdered in 1927 her grieving parents couldn’t bring themselves to file paper declaring her dead. By being able to prove her identity she is now able to legally resume her identity with all the benefits and commitments that entails. The judge also ruled that as Lucy only resumed her unlife last year the government couldn’t ask for any back payment of taxes prior to that date.

Miss Harker herself said she was delighted by the decision and was hoping to be able to resume her previous career as a lawyer.

• 3 years later...

It wasn’t a massive space you could fit in more than three or four unless they were prepared to get very intimate. With some very creative effort she’d managed to fit in two mismatched desks and a similar chairs. One of the desk belonged to Erica North, who assisted Lucy even though couldn’t pay her that well, and was rather utilitarian with only a laptop and complicated looking phone.

Erica was Lucy's connection with the 21st century handling all the task Lucy hadn’t yet been able to master. Lucy wasn’t a technophobe but even without sleep it wasn’t easy to catch up on everything.

Lucy’s desk was a little more cluttered, some of her poorer clients paid in goods rather than money and she tended to keep around a few trinkets. An ancient typewriter and rotary dial telephone, though not as old as herself, dominated the desk. But she also had a little statue of Ganesh and a Bonsai tree that Lucy spent many an hour, out of office hours.

First Seen:

Also See: