Maybe Baby (IC)

GM

The Jailor's table sprung into smoke and fire rather rapidly. Something about it was rather pretty, and the colours and spiralling smoke forms seemed a bit unnatural...one could almost imagine the smoke shapes forming fiery birds as they flew off the table into the ether.

Whatever unnaturalness there was to the fire, it was still hot. The Jailors boot's started smoking, and he yelped, swinging his boots of the burning table and onto the floor, falling of his wooden chair as he did so.

He looked around, spying Equinox and Haley.

"Yikes!" he yelped as he patted down his boots.

"

By smoke and fire, you have escaped!

By won'drous means, for lock h'snt breaked!

You truly are a faerie queen!

As pretty as I've ever seen!

But faerie wood burns with light!

My smoking boots gave me a fright!

'Twill burn like sun for thirteen hours,

With faerie smoke of martv'lous powers!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No," hissed Equinox sharply. With her right hand, the one not holding Hayley, she made a quick gesture. Immediately her hand caught fire. The flames burned bright and hot with her fury. "I'm not anything like a faerie queen. For one thing, I don't want anything that isn't mine."

Her eyes began to smoulder with the same raging heat, and Hayley cowered a little at her mistress's fury. "Speaking of. My necklace. Where is it?" She didn't just want it for the potent protective spells woven into it. It was a symbol of her faith, and now, blind and underground an entire universe from home, she wanted it.

GM

"No,I'm not anything like a faerie queen. For one thing, I don't want anything that isn't mine."

The Jailer blinked at this.

"You don't" he stumbled on the word "want anything that isn't yours?" he said, barely understanding the concept.

"Speaking of. My necklace. Where is it?"

"Oh that thing?" replied the Jailer, more stunned by Equinox's apparent lack of avarice than her display of power. "Pretty little silver thing with points?" he asked making a pentegram shake with his leather bound fingers.

"I think the Queen has it" he concluded "She likes pretty shiny things, especially if they are magic!"

He coughed slightly from the smoke that was building up from the enchanted faerie wood, now firmly alight.

Equinox's hand clenched into a tight fist, snuffing out the fire within it. "Fantastic. The queen's got hold of a potent magical talisman. I'm not going to be able to brute force my way through this one."

She sighed, and squeezed her blind eyes tightly shut for an instant. Nicotine withdrawal was making her hands shake, and she didn't have time... Dammit, dammit, dammit...

She pointed one finger at the gaoler. "I'll leave you to put out your fire." Her voice was steady and emotionless. Her hand twirled and cascaded through some staccato gestures, and a gust of wind picked up the witch and lifted her clear off the floor.

She twirled in mid-air and began to float her way back to the Queen's chamber.

GM

The Queens chamber was sealed by a giant oak door, presumably made of the same faerie wood that the Jailors table had been constructed of. It was still underground, but it had not been a difficult task to wave through the underground tunnels and stairs to reach it.

The door was polished, almost shiny with wax. On the front of it was a large skull of some strange beast, that looked like a unicorn to all apparent purposes. The door was shut quite tightly.

Fortunately, there was a hole in the door, a small circle filled with a delightful green glass. Inside, Equinox could peer at the Queen, at her dressing mirror, examining the pentegram amulet carefully.

"Knock to enter!" said the Unicorn skull on the door, politely.

• 2 weeks later...

Equinox just shrugged her shoulders, rolled her neck and deposited Hayley a little behind her and a little to the left of her. "You know the score?" She smiled at her familiar.

<Yep! On it!> nodded the little furball.

The witch cracked her knuckles, and conjured up her various spells of protection and warding. Then she looked at the carved unicorn on the door. "Knock to enter, you say?"

Then she thrust her fist at the door and shouted, "Zephyrus!" Hurricane gales answered her will.

GM

The equine skulls eye sockets seem to actually widen when Equinox summoned her arcane power.

"No no no!" it yelped, quickly and panicked "you only need knock...knock! as in a light rap with the knuckles. Hey...no...I am just the Queen's humble servant...what are you doing? what are you...aaaaargh!"

With a final yelp, the door shatter completely and utterly.

The Faerie Queen spun round, shocked, but ready.

"You!" she said, her finger outstretched in outrage "How did you get..." she started, before looking at Haley.

"Damn!" she cursed "I knew there was something I had forgotten. Come for second helpings, have you?" she snarled, brandishing Equinox's wand.

"I am sure your little trinket here will give me all the power I need to quash you once and for all! Both of you, this time!"

• 4 months later...

Equinox just grinned, power gathering and whirling around her in a corona of whiteness. "You've been down here too long, your majesty," she drawled, voice dripping irony. "Tell me, magical theory 101."

She lifted her right hand, and flexed the fingers. "What is the difference between the magical signature of an active spell..." Her hand ignited into scarlet flames. "That of stored magic, and that of an object that's just had a lot of magic near it?"

Siobhan lightly flicked her palm and tossed the flame up and caught it in her hand as one would catch a tennis ball. "There's not any magic in that wand, genius."

GM

"There's not any magic in that wand, genius."

The Queen looked at Equinoxes wand with deep suspicion, as she gathered her own mystic might, imperceptible to the normal eye, but alive and visible to Equinox.

"No? then why do you use it, my lovely?" she asked, eyes full of mistrust.

"Your tounge is a poisonous as your beauty, oh malignant and deceptive one! I would no more trust a word from that silver tounge as I would one of the Redcap thieves who scavange this land! and at least they rhyme!" she spat out in retort.

"Come then, let us finish this! I grow bored of you!"

Equinox lifted her right hand, and casually flicked it towards the wand in the faerie queen's hand. "Kinesi!" she barked. The wand jerked out of the fae woman's hand, and with another casual flick of the hand, it flew to the witch's waiting grasp.

"I use it," continued Equinox in a level tone. "Because otherwise I've got too much power to actually focus it in one point." She leveled the wand back at the queen. "Like so."

A beam of white light erupted forth from it and encased the woman in a white glow, rigid and immobile.

GM

"What? Give me that!" yelled the Queen, furious that her prize had been ripped from her. She flexed her hand unconsciously, smarting from the wand that had been ripped unceremoniously from her grasp.

She was about to lep rip with a furious red spell, all anger and burning, when the white light of Equinox wrapped around her like a silk glove and squeezed her rigid.

"What have you done? What have you done?" she yelled, face livid.

"You may bind me, but I will never serve you!" she said in a snarl, smiling even in her defiance.

Equinox glanced down at Hayley. With a curt nod, she signalled to the little raccoon to do as she wanted.

So Hayley, with a few yipping barks, threw herself at the bound faerie's leg and sank her teeth into it. She drew back swiftly, standing with her hackles raised and fur bristling in indignation.

"You don't get it do you? This was never about you serving me. I just wanted to bring those children back. None of this needed to even happen. Like calling down lightning in your throne room, or blowing down your doors. Or..." The witch's expression and voice hardened.

"Knocking some sense into you. Kinesi!" She pointed her wand forward, and hurled the faerie queen backwards to slam into the wall, driven by the same magical force which could hurl buses with ease.

GM

"What? How dare you toss me!" she yelled, as she picked up momentum and slammed into the side of the cave. The rock actually cracked and splintered, with dust and masonry flowering out from the impact into the dead cool subterrenean air.

"Thou has bested me...." conceded the Queen as she dropped to the ground, hair sprawled, and body battered.

"I will long remember this day, when you robbed me of my child...." she gasped, her eyes focusing on Equinox, not with hate, but with despair and loss. A tear fell from one cheek.

"All I wanted was..." she whispered, before her eyes glazed over and she bent over into the floor, out cold.

• 1 month later...

Equinox dispassionately flicked her wand over her shoulder, the air around the fallen Queen dropping in temperature until it froze about her in a cocoon. "We're long past pity," sighed the witch. "Hayley, I need you to lead me to the throne room. I'm getting those children home."

With Hayley leading in front, Equinox raised her wand to her mouth like a microphone, and began to speak. "Faeries of this realm," she shouted, loud enough for her voice to echo down the halls and throughout the fortress. Her voice reverberated with eldritch power, deeper and echoing as if a thousand voices were calling.

"Your queen is frozen in her chambers, her powers bested by mine,

I'm taking the children from their mangers, and I would like no sign,

Of goblin, sprite or fairy there, for those in my way,

Will be scorched and laid bare, for these children go home today!"

GM

Equinoxes statement reverberated around the caves of the floating Isle, and were followed by screams and shouts of abject fear. The terror even disintegrated the rhymes of the Redcaps, with only broken phrases floating back as echoes.

"Flee, Flee!

It is She!

Fly and Run!

This is no Fun!

Apocalypse! Catastrophe!

This will be the end of me!"

The sound of petrified footsteps running this way and that, with cries and tears, swept along every corridor and cavern.

• 3 weeks later...

With Hayley's aid, Equinox began to progress back towards to the throne room, pausing only to fire lances of flame through doors, or rip apart tapestries with spirals of lashing hail. With stomps of her feet she shattered flagstones, and with withering glances filled hallways with ice and snow.

Eventually, she returned to the throne room and the babies. "Right, I'm going to make preparations to take these children home," she told her familiar. "Which is why I'm going to ask," the witch turned around sharply as she spoke, and called, "Anyone left to try to stop me, bring it on!"

GM

There was no answer, save for the cries - gentle and not so gentle - of the babes. The Redcaps, bereft of their queen, tyrannical and beloved, were in chaos.

As Equinox spoke, the crying became less, diminishing with the passing seconds. Not in volume, but in multitude. One by one the babes vanished, until, with a gentle *pop* only one was left.

Illusion!

It took no leap of intellect to see. And Equinox was more than equipped in arcane arts. Only one babe had been real, the Rhymer child. The rest had merely been projections, phantasasmagorial creatures born from the original. Perhaps to deceive Equinox, perhaps to warm the Queen's heart more.

The child seemed to calm down as his spectral brothers receded, and eventually even giggled at Equinox as he squirmed on the floor.