Haute Cuisine (IC)

Marceau listened attentively to Rene, eyes flickering between the Don and the Lady as the painter explained some of the weightier issues involved in the situation he'd become embroiled in. "<So, I ought to try and be tactful to Driogano about this mishap, and his potential role as future bait, and the Lady Tarot might well have the powers I've heard she has? Understood>" he glanced at Verdoux "<Does the Don come here regularly?If so, I could get a decoy or something to take his place here, and catch whoever that was who attacked here today if he comes back>" he took a glance at the gun he was still holding : "<Also, err, what should I do with this thing?>"

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rene took off his Beret from his hat and spoke to Marceau.

"

Of course, the gun had no right to be placed into his beret. It was like a magic trick, when a magician pulls a rabit out of a hat. Except in this case he was putting a large rile shaped object into a small piece of cloth where it completely vanished.

He then promptly placed the Beret back on his head.

"" he explained "the Lab might even be interested, although I know nothing of modern science really."

Verdoux looked on astonished, and Rene turned to him with a smile. ""

"" laughed Verdoux, clapping his hand, before addressing Marceau ""

"" mumbled Rene to Marceau, lifting an eyebrow.

Marceau smild and clapped quietly at Rene's magic, gratified that at least something good would come of the largely unfortunate occaision. odds are this 'Lab' Rene referred to would have little trouble tracking down the poisoner. his eyes gleamed eagerly when the elderly magician reminded him of what he had just seen. "<Of course! Monsieur Verdoux, what sort of dishes does the Don order here? If we knew that, we could just have the, ah, decoy>" he winked to Rene "<Seated at the Don's place eating the sorts of things he would if he were here himself, and no potential attacker would be the wiser. Also, I think your other patrons would have little to fear from a second assault unless they tried to stop this maniac personally, as he will likely be frustrated by his subtle approach not working, and just charge in for an all-out assault. But first, I must get the Don's permission. Rene, if you'd like to come, i would be glad to have your cooler head nearby to keep me from saying foolish things." so saying, he bowed slightly to the two, and walked over to the table holding the food and drink of the most powerful man in Freedom City's organized crime, and his far-seeing associate.

GM

The Don looked at Marceau through somewhat glazed eyes, and a shirt that still had onion soup stains on it. The coffee had helped. Coffee that this time did not have some powerful hypnotic in it.

"Whaddya you want, kid? I'va hadda helluva day, and I'm in no mood to have it gettin' any worse. Go bug someone else, enjoy the food, the soup's real good..."

He finished off his coffee and tried to pour himself another cup, but his reflexes where still sloppy, and some ended up on the table. It seemed his two body guards where not exactly on the ball either.

Deftly taking a suitable cloth from a nearby table, Marceau cleaned up the spilled coffee as he spoke. "Mr. Driogano, I have actually just eaten quite well, so I must decline your suggestion. The reason I've approached you is not to make your life more difficult, but rther less". having managed to clean most of the filtered drink fom the top of the table, the janitor switched to the underside where, as he had suspected, a conglomeration of the stuff had begun to spill down to the floor in short drops. Wiping energetically, Marceau continued "As you are aware, this place was attacked by a poisoner. Said poisoner had assumed the role of a kitchen cleaner" Marceau described the man with the sonic rifle as best as his memory allowed "this man then began an abortive attempt at more hands-on chaos with the aid of a sort of sound-gun, which I managed to take from him. The weapon is now in the custody of a laboratory which will be invaluable in bringing this man in. Now, the purpose of this visit-" he had finished cleaning the table and stood at ease, his hands in his lower pockets "-is to make a proposition to you. I think it highly likely that something very like this(but more lethal) will occur in the near future. The would-be assassin is going to be frustrated and angry by his mishap here, and will, I warrant, try to strike at you directly. I say 'you', Mr. Driogano, because you are easily the one man in this room most probable as the intended target of this attack. From what the owner, monsieur Verdoux has told me, this is the second time you have taken refreshment here, and an assassin's work is greatly aided by an observation of the target's routine, which can lead the target into a trap without their knowing it in the least, and you are, I dare say, a man who has a considerable number of enemies who would eagerly grasp at any semblence of a routine to try and entrap you" he turned and bowed slightly to Lady Tarot "If you, Don, and you, lady, are willing to hear me out, I have a plan for how to capture this assassin that requires your co-operation"

GM

The Don looked surprised. He shot a look at Lady Tarot, who nodded silently.

"Well kid, whaddya know, you aint so bad after all!" he said. His not still held a not of suspicion, but it was certainly more congenial. "Pull up a chair!"

"It just so happened I...suspected something like this might happen" he said, choosing his words carefully and shooting Lady Tarot a glance. "seems I got real...lucky...having you around..." he said, one eye on Marceau and one on his lady companion.

He turned to put all his focus on Marceau. "That wise guy, the Silencer. Been making my life hell! Me! an honest businessman! whaddasa the wurld cummin' to?" he sighed. "If you gotta plan to put that guy away, then you betcha, I'm all ears my friends. Beats relying on these clowns here..." he added slapping one of his bodyguards round the ear.

Bowing politely, Marceau did as he was bid, taking an unoccupied chair from a nearby table and seating himself across from The Don and Tarot.

"Thank you, Mr. Driogano, Mz., for lending me your ears. The plan I and my associate have put together is as follows: like I said a moment ago, the chances are high that this(what did you call him? 'The Silencer'? Ominous) will return here for a second assault. It would be highly inadvisable to come here following this recently-established pattern, and breaking routine will mean neither party here will be sure how to get to the other. Thus, you will drop rumors amongst your lower-ranked followers about how you're never going to come here again. For reference, I'd like to know what kinds of food you like to order here, as my friend here" he gestured to Rene "Will get a double to act as you in your stead, who will draw the Silencer's fire when he attacks here again. Now, I dare say this fellow will be cunning enough to detect obvious traps like what I've just described" Marceau glanced unconsciously at the Don's hair, wondering is the Silencer was really like that...

"-so while you're telling your rank-and-file about how you're never coming back to this place, I'd like you to tell your higher-ranking subordinates about how you're certain that the Silencer is not going to return so quickly. Therefore, if this guy has a penchant for following leads among your lower-ranked followers, it's likely he won't try striking at you here so quickly. On the other hand, if he has contacts among your more-trusted subordinates, he will be sure to come here again. Supporting him coming back is the fact that he may be frustrated by the nearness of his failure, and he might just try to walk in and blast you, or anyone who looks like you, rather than making such a complicated setup again"

he looked from one to the other, knowing that he would need the acceptance of both the imposing Don and his slighter seer to have a chance of getting his plan approved, if the Don's words and glances meant anything, Lady Tarot was even more integral to the mobster's decisions than he had dreamed.

GM

The Don took another sip of coffee. He was starting to look a little more awake now.

"Hmm, that's notta bad Idea, hey, I could even make-a the wise guy out of you eh?" he said, putting his arm round Marceau and giving him a friendly hug.

"I put-a the word out that I prefer the Itialana food, like momma used to make, eh? and tell my trusted men that I got back here. And to tell you the truth, the food here is-a good!"

He took a chunk of bread and wiped his onion soup bowl clean.

"I will-a have the steak now! with the asparagus!"

Marceau felt a feeling of deep distaste at the Don's embrace. While, as a fellow human, he felt empathy for somebody under threat against their life, he couldn't forget so easily who the man was and what he did and was responsible for. He didn't allow it to show however, there was still a lot of work ahead that needed taking care of.

"Glad this plan meets your approval Mr. Driogano. When can we start the necessary arrangements for setting the trap?"

Turning to Rene he added "Mon ami, what times will you be available for setting up the decoy Don? Will you need to be nearby to make sure of your art?"

"Oui" replied Monsieur ""

"If its my life in stake, you can start tommorow" replied the mobster, grabbing his steak knife and plunging into his dish. He held up his meat, cooked rare, and with a delightful pepporcorn sauce.

"Just make sure that you finish it, ok?" he added, punging the steak into his mouth and chomping furiously.

"Do this for me, and you will find me a gracious man. I always remember my friends!"

Marceau inclined his head at the Don's words. "It will be as you wish. I'll start as soon as I can, which will be about two days from now at the latest. Rene, if you can, I'd like to set up a time and place for us to practice for the trap"

Getting to his feet briskly, he put the chair back at the table where he had taken it from, and politely extended his hand to the Don, Lady Tarot and Rene for a shake. "I'll do all I can to capture this 'Silencer', Mr. Driogano, Mz. Tarot. If you have anythingmon what he's like, his tactics, personality, anything, everything I know about what he is will bring me closer to capturing him"

Bowing slightly to the two at the table, he set off for his and Rene's table, where he recalled that their bill remained unpaid.

"Of course, Monsieur!" Replied Rene with a smile.

The Next Morning, at the Parkhurst Hotel...[

"" said Rene, warmly, beckoning the King of Suits in. ""

The Hotel was run down from the outside, and neglected by all passers by. This was merely its illusionary appearance and psychic defences however. In reality, it was the headquarters for some of Freedom Cities mystic heroes. Rene had made sure that the ghosts of the hotel had made themselves scarce for this morning. Partly so as not to scare Marceau, partly because they were, after all, trying to practice for a sting. And ghosts were not part of the real deal.

""

Marceau rubbed his hands eagerly. He had rarely had the chance to do real detective work before today, and this setup looked like an excellent place to practice for a sting against a sonic assassin. For this purpose he had brought a large duffle bag containing his costume and weapons.

He looked in no little awe at the place's grandeur. Faded though it was, he did not fail to detect the air of quality craftsmanship, and a beautiful dining room is rarely a sight taken casually to those unused to them.

"<This place is magnificent, Rene! Tell me, this looks like a lot of space for one man to dwell in. Are you watching it for a friend, or do othwrs live here with you?>"

"<This place is magnificent, Rene! Tell me, this looks like a lot of space for one man to dwell in. Are you watching it for a friend, or do othwrs live here with you?>"

"

""

As he spoke, they entered the dining room. As Rene had said, it was well furbished, but antiquated, with a long wooden dining table dominating it.

"So, what did you have in mind? The dining room we have here is the closest we have to the restaurant. Alternatively, the Parkhurst Hotel can actually mimic the restaurant proper if we wish!"

"If it is possible, Mr. de Saens" said Marceau, slipping on his cloak-and-cowl over his armor, and setting up his cards in their sleeves "I would be deeply grateful for that accomodation. It would give us a good edge in making sure of small matters like otherwise ignored corners, small inclines, spacing of the tables and chairs, and how to keep our man from getting away from us" finishing his costume-donning, Marceau the stood on his head, where he seemed to be testing some joint of his armor.

"Of course, of course!" said Rene, stopping only to grab an apple from the fruit bowl of the Dining Room.

Down some slightly creaky wooden stairs, they entered a grand wooden hall, it was somewhat sparsely decorated, only wooden panels in a somewhat modest style.

"The metamorphic room" explained Rene with a smile. "It adjusts itself to the will of those in it, providing one has the correct will, of course. It takes a little... aptitude, perhaps..."

Rene closed his eyes, and stroked his beard, recalling the sounds, sights, and smells of the restaurant. It wasn't too hard. He loved his food, and he loved the restaurant. And he was an artist, with an eye for the details.

The room groaned and creaked. Out of the floor, walls, and even ceiling, the tables, chairs, doors, and all trappings of the Aliments Avenir grew. It even grew the staff and customers, in wooden form, although they soon grew colours, texture, and eventually animation. The simulation was complete with the addition of the slightly smoky atmosphere and the rich smells of the French restaurant.

Marceau gave a low whistle. He still wasn't jaded about the incredible things magic could accomplish, and this hotel's power to re-create environments astounded him. He instantly made a thorough circuit of the room, examining for hidden corners, potential stumbling points, crevices where things could be hidden.

While doing so he asked Rene about what had been found out from the sonic rifle "Have your friends in the Lab found who our Silencer is, or who he may be? Did he leave any fingerprints or other identifing marks?

"First, and foremost, we need to make sure of two things: that the Silencer can enter and leave only with our knowledge and consent. To do this, we should set ourselves either near the doorways to the kitchen and the front door, or else just have ourselves on the roof watching for him to approach. He should be easy to spot, now that we know how he looks and I know how he moves. Setting up the illusion of the Don would be good, yes. First, thing I'd like to go over is how well they react to the outside world, and then we can get to work and placing it so we don't run the risk of the Silencer just shooting it from outside through a window"

He took out one of his flash-bang cards(an 8 of Clubs) and checked for places near the doors where it could be hidden.

GM

A few hours later...

The creaking metamorphic hall groaned at times, but kept pace with the demands of the King of Suits. After a while, it seemed to actually anticipate what Marceau wanted and no longer even needed Rene to act on his behalf.

The two heroes could plot, plan, and work out the various angles at their whim, in conjunction with the illusion's generated by Rene.

Meanwhile, Elsewhere...

The man known as the Silencer was also making his preparations. On a table, he had plotted out the same restaurant, from his memory.

How had it all gone wrong?

He had heard that that fool, the Don, had dared go back tomorrow!

Well, he was going to take advantage of the man's arrogance. Lightning would strike twice - but this time, his plan would be fool proof.

He reached over, and pulled out his replacement gun, checking it over...

"You seem to have all the bases covered, young man" said Rene.

"And a rather useful set of trinkets you have there" he added, pointing to the man's belt. "All a bit beyond me, this new technology. Gunpowder was all the rage was your age, of course... this modern stuff seems far more...potent..."

He packed away his paintbrush in his waistcoat. He felt he had got the size of the Don now.

"So, how do you intend to do this. I feel you fancy taking this man down yourself, you are on something of a vendetta? it as if the fates have decreed it..."

Marceau had smiled appreciatively at Rene's compliment of his planning abilities and armory, but it turned to a deep frown when the ancient mage commented on his seeming infatuation with defeating the Silencer. "I'd say you are quite near the mark, Rene. I dare say you are a skilled magician, and I don't feel sure of beating this fellow without your help, bu I do want to best him on my own, despite the fact that that is not at all reasonable. It has nothing to do with my failing to catch him earlier, thpugh that did smart a bit. The reason is because he poisoned an entire restaurant to get at one man. I have never cared for the saying "the ends justifies the means", though I have heard ot used like a national slogan in France, and such a careless treatment of others for the sake of acheiving an objective is more than I can bear. I dare say that the Silencer has reasons for wanting to kill the Don that seem to him irreproachable, but that does not ever excuse putting others in harm's way for the sake of a personal crusade. If I thought you a harmless old man, Rene, I would never dream of asking you to help me fight him. If you were the seven-year ultimate smackdown champion, I would not ask. But you have power that allows you to fight without putting yourself directly in the path of danger, it seems, and thus I asked for your aid. Don't worry, this time I won't run off alone"

Rene smiled reassuringly.

"Well, you seem astute enough, Marceau. I think you may have gathered that perhaps I am not so helpless, and perhaps I am more than old..."

He sighed at the last statement.

"And now, why don't you go home, it is nearly lunchtime, and I have a little work to do here at Parkhurst, a little gift to make, we shall meet at the restaurant perhaps? what time? what is the plan?"

Marceau bowed slightly to Rene, hurriedly wiping away small tears that had sprung up during his speech. "You are right, we have done all we need for now. Thank you. I say we meet about an hour and a half earlier than we did last time, as we will then likely be there earlier than the Don and Lady Tarot were, giving us a chance to prepare ourselves for battle. I shall, if you agree to it, set a flash-bang at each door leading outisde to at least slow down the would-be murderer if he manages to run. Finally, I would suggest that you bring anyone else you think would be up for capturing this fellow, and putting an illusion of us two at a different place than we are, which will be near the left-hand side coming in of the door"

Marceau gathered his supplies, doffed his costume, shook Rene's hand, walked through the long passage out the door, marvelling at the splendor within the faded glory of the exterior, and departed for the bus that would bring him to the modern squalor and confused camaraderie of Monkey Towers, where he set to work on the morrow's battle.

Once Marceau had left, Rene set to work at the Workshop at the Parkhurst Hotel and set to reading at the Parkhurt Library.

He remembered the Silencer, and had no doubt that how he operated. He had had a word with the Police when he handed in the weapon. And he had an Idea how to give Marceau a small edge.

It took him the afternoon, and a bit of reading. It took a nice piece of bone, some paint, and some rituals and enchantments. But he was fairly sure that the little trinket would work.

He wrapped it up, just for show.