They Came From Below! (OOC)

Quinn

Okay, let's see how robo-butts do.

Initiative check! (1d20+8=20) - Overclock

Initiative checks! (1d20-1=18, 1d20-1=18, 1d20-1=5, 1d20-1=6, 1d20-1=8) - Nazi Robots.

Ok, we'll start off the robo-smashing with some low-powered goon-bots. Fairly simple fare, Medium Robot build from the Core Book with Blast 5 slapped onto them for giggles. Each round, a new complication will arise in the fight, whether through more robots, a bigger, tougher robot, or more holes in the ground. Let's see how things turn out!

Jubatus - 38 - Unharmed - 1 HP

Cannonade - 25 - Unharmed - 3 HP

Overclock - 20 - Unharmed - 2 HP

Nazi Robot 1 - 18 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 2 - 18 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 5 - 8 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 4 - 6 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 3 - 5 - Unharmed

Jujube's up.

Jube's first move: Rush right in, keeping an eye on all the civilians in the area as he does this, weilding his 1-PP cutting torch. He's going to take a good close look at the entire outer surface of one bot; if there are any points of vulnerability where his puny torch could do some good, he's going to find said points

That's the plan, anyway...

Roll to find vulnerable points: Knowledge (Tech) vs Nazibot! (1d20+9=15)

Actually, that does hit. DC 24 Toughness save! (1d20+10=14) And boom goes the dynamite. Robot number one is Staggered and Stunned, nicely done Cannonade.

Which means Overclock enters the fray! He goes for Cannonade's target;

Wackity Wackity Power Attackity! And Charge. (-3 Attack, -2 Defense, +5 Damage) (1d20+5=22) DC 24 Toughness save on that same robot (since OC's not got his adrenaline up yet). DC 24 Toughness save! (1d20+10=18) And boom goes the dynamite, it's now Bruised, Staggered, and Stunned.

However, the other robots are still up. And they are not happy at all. INITIATE HERO-STOMPING PROGRAM.

Attack rolls! (1d20+5=9, 1d20+5=16, 1d20+5=12, 1d20+5=19) And that's one on Cannonade and one on Overclock. DC 20 Toughness save! (1d20+6=14) Overclock's Bruised and Stunned.

And we're back at the top of the round, Jubatus is up next, and courtesy of that earlier roll, you get a +2 Bonus to your next attack against a robot due to your spotting some weak points (these things is OLD. And creaky.). If you choose to tell the other heroes, they can also get that +2 Bonus. (And yes, I made that up on the fly.)

Jubatus - 38 - Unharmed - 1 HP

Cannonade - 25 - Unharmed? - 3 HP

Overclock - 20 - Bruised, Stunned (Nazi Robot 5's round) - 2 HP

Nazi Robot 1 - 18 - Bruised, Staggered, Stunned (Cannonade's round)

Nazi Robot 2 - 18 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 5 - 8 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 4 - 6 - Unharmed

Nazi Robot 3 - 5 - Unharmed

I don't want to step on the GM's toes, but seeing as how I still have trouble grokking the game-mechanical details of MnM, I'm going to see if I can put together a 'dry run' for Jube's initial attack on the Nazibot. This is just for my own edufication, so the results (if any) of this 'dry run' are not to be taken as 'in canon' or anything.

Okay: Making an attack is a 'standard action'; according to pg. 11 in the 2E Core Book, it's 1D20 + [attacker's Attack Bonus]. If this roll yields a result of equal to or greater than the target's Defense, it's a hit; if this roll yields a result of less than the target's Defense, it's a miss.

In this case, the attacker is Jubatus, and the target is a Nazibot. According to Quinn (scroll up a few posts to see), these Nazibots are statted out as "Medium Robot build from the Core Book with Blast 5 slapped onto them for giggles". Fine: The Medium Robot stats are given on pg. 235 of the 2E Core Book.

Attacker: Jube's standard Attack Bonus is +12, and because he found some vulnerable points when he looked for them, he gets a further +2 bonus on top of that. Thus, Jube's 1D20+14 Attack Roll from a couple posts ago, which yielded a result of 20.

Target: According to the Medium Robot stats, these guys have Defense of 0. Which would mean that these guys can be hit by any Attack Roll which isn't loaded with enough negative modifiers to drop below zero. On the face of it, this seems wrong to me; I can't help but feel that I'm missing something, and would appreciate being slapped upside the head with a Clue Stick by anybody who actually has a clue (which group emphatically does not include me, in this content). But okay, taking it at face value, it's an Attack Roll of 20 versus a Defense of 0, so it's a hit.

Now we get to damage.

According to pg. 163 of the 2E Core Book: When a target is successfully hit, they make a Toughness save. This is 1D20 + [target's Toughness bonus]. The number they're rolling against is (15 + [Damage Bonus of the attack]). If the rolled result of the Toughness save comes out equal to or greater than that number, the target takes no damage whatsoever; otherwise, the target suffers ill effects, and the worse they failed their Toughness save by, the worse those ill effects are.

The attack Jube is using, is his cutting torch. This is a bog-standard gadget, which (it says on pg 137 of the 2E Core Book) does Blast 1 plus Drain Toughness 1. The Drain power writeup (pg 82) says its target must make a Fortitude save or lose a bit of whatever is being Drained -- but the Nazibots have Immunity to all Fortitude effects, so the cutting torch's Drain Toughness can be ignored. This means Jube is, in effect, tryna hurt the Nazibot with Blast 1. Looking over Jube's character sheet, I don't see anything which would add to Jube's Damage Bonus, so the number the Nazibot wants to beat is (15 + 1) = 16.

The Medium Robot build says that their Toughness is +10, and that they also have Protection 10, which stacks another +10 on top of that, for a Toughness saving roll of (1D20 + 10 + 10). Which, in this case, will end up being Dry run for a Toughness save (1d20+20=36). This roll is grossly in excess of what's needed to beat that pitiful 16, so Jube's pitiful (Blast 1) cutting torch inflicts nothing worse than cosmetic damage on the Nazibot.

It looks to me like hitting these Nazibots is trivial; the real problem is gonna be damaging them. Jubatus, in particular, is not well-suited for delivering mass quantities of damage -- on his sheet, the best attack he's got is his Strike 3 with the Mighty feat -- so the cheetah's going to have to fight smart if he wants to play an effective role in taking these scrapheaps down.