Space Safari: Push, Blueshift, and the Ooze (OOC)

Supercape

• 2 weeks later...

Blue's gonna activate one of the default settings on her Gadgets:

"Hot Suit" Immunity 4 (Disease, Heat, Poison, Radiation); Super Senses 1 (Analytical for Infravision)

I know you're iffy about immunities w/VPs, 'Cape, but this is one of the listed example effects approved and on her character sheet. Do you as GM for the thread have anything against me using it? If so, I can edit my IC post.

Seems ok to me Quote. Immunities more of a problem when its against particular attacks. Im pretty cool for the environmental ones, especially as it fits well with descriptors.

For Reference, we are now in a Hot environment [Core book p 167].

Fortitude Check DC 10 (+1 per previous check) to avoid 1 point temp constitution damage. To be made every hour. Any loss = fatigue, loss of half or more = exhausted, and Con of 0-2 = unconscious (0 = dying).

Clock is ticking, we are hour zero!

In a few magma caves this may go up to every 10 minutes or even every minute as per rules!

There are probably going to be a few places

Blueshifts hot suit will protect against this. Push better hurry ;)

Incidentally, I note you both have infravision - which will be handy in the magma caves to stop getting too burnt!

Depends on the date of this thread. He's only really useful after "Shut In" on the time line. Otherwise, he's a construct and immune to fortitude effects, so I don't think the heat would effect him, correct?

Your call on whether you want him in or not (by the power of fudge).

The heat environment wont hurt him... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to jump off the rails or anything with that post. It's basically just a description for "splitting up and expanding our ability to search". Blueshift can make search / notice / whatever skill checks at her local location as well as wherever Mac is through his sensory input. She can see and hear everything that he does while simultaneously seeing and hearing everything that she can.

Hoping to just speed up the section of the thread where we aimlessly wander around caves looking for traces of this thing.

Ooze found

[And infravision saved the day]

Life Sciences and Physical Sciences rolls please!

Also could I have two Heat Environment checks for Push as they wander through the intolerable Caves! DC 10 and DC 11 [TO avoid 1 CON damage]

Also Quinn, Could Push make his Check for Nightmares as per Drawback? Im not sure he has done that yet?

Yes thats how I read for Fatigue

Rather good Knowledge rolls there!

Ok, so I am presuming you have some appropriate gadgets to take a few readings, but the Ooze is silicon based, secreting some fairly potent acid. It is "eating" heat, and silicon.

From what you can tell it is extremely homogenous in structure, no organs etc. And has unparalleled regenerative capabilities.

Well, its not exactly a crime scene, no!

Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and perhaps Earth Sciences are the stuff you want here. And you would have enough to know the basics in LIfe Sciences and Earth Sciences. You can certainly get the exact chemical composition of the acid if you wanted with your bonus in Physical Sciences!

Its academic, as I view Investigation a "Crime" skill, but I think Eidectic Memory only applies to knowledge skills, and Investigation is not a knowledge skill? Anyway, your Eidectic memory will cover most knowledge, and physical knowledge will certainly cover the acid chemistry in as much detail as you care to give!

Okay, well, I'll still need some GM input on that. I can describe what she knows about it all day. But I don't feel right about her drawing conclusions about a creature you've created. What I'm looking for is perhaps best represented as a trail of clues.

Does what she currently know about it allow her to draw any conclusions about ways to capture it? Like possibly:

("It's trail is powerfully acidic. Though this acid doesn't exist on earth, ones like it have been known to have trouble dissolving even the cheapest plastics! However the environment is far past the melting temperature of plastics. This presents a problem...")

If her current knowledge is NOT sufficient for anything of the sort, perhaps what she does know will lead her to discovering a way to contain it. Perhaps:

"I've never seen such a powerful acid before! It's funny that it doesn't dissolve this stone, though. The stone seems ordinary enough that it shouldn't affect that. Perhaps this acid is incapable of dissolving superheated non-living matter? Thus preventing the creature for dissolving straight through to the center of this planet? Perhaps that's why it needs to use the existing cave system instead of dissolving a system of tunnels itself?"

Etc...?

"I've never seen such a powerful acid before! It's funny that it doesn't dissolve this stone, though. The stone seems ordinary enough that it shouldn't affect that. Perhaps this acid is incapable of dissolving superheated non-living matter? Thus preventing the creature for dissolving straight through to the center of this planet? Perhaps that's why it needs to use the existing cave system instead of dissolving a system of tunnels itself?"

Etc...?

My attitude is that HP can be burned in conjunction with skills to come up with nifty things like "If I cover myself in Supercooled silicon gel, I will be immune to the acid!" i.e. they allow players to bend narration to their evil will muahaha!

Having said that, I love your idea above... go with it! Lets say the acid is a by product of its metabolism, used to fend off predators, and able to slowly dissolve some selective parts of the rock, so it can escape cave ins etc. However, it wont drill itself a hole into the centre of the earth.

For the same reason however, it has to keep moving... if its to slow, it will slowly Siiiiink....

I'll spend an HP then. I'm going to make a new post describing her "observations". I'll leave it open for Push's response. Then describe my idea, which is to have push lift it within a sphere of rock and keep it constantly spinning like a hamster ball, thus it will not sit still and dissolve through.

I'll spend an HP then. I'm going to make a new post describing her "observations". I'll leave it open for Push's response. Then describe my idea, which is to have push lift it within a sphere of rock and keep it constantly spinning like a hamster ball, thus it will not sit still and dissolve through.

I'm sorry, I simply won't allow that.

It's too cool to spend a hero point on!

That one is for free! :D:D:D :D

• 1 month later...

While the idea is interesting, Push can't really do the rock "hamsterball" thing, as he can only move one item at a time. :P But! He can do something similar with his base Move Object; here's the basic descriptor.

Push's telekinesis functions as him pushing energy into the sides or around an object, basically lifting it or propelling it on a "cushion". So, all he has to do is propel the object along through the air with said hamsterwheel, except it being either invisible or made of warping and crackling energy!

For the record, here is Push's Move Object: Alternate Power: Move Object 14 (Lifting STR 70 [Heavy Load: 200 tons], 10 140ft Range Increments / 1,400ft Max Range) [28PP] (Kinetic Energy Manipulation) Note, if the ooze weights more than 200 tons...well, they're in a pickle, aren't they? :P

And now... MAGMA Time!

Infrared vision can definately pick up the heat rise.

Prepare for a lava flow heading your way gentlemen!

To start off, have a DC 12 Fort check for hot environment, if you need too (immunity to hot environments will cover you), and then prepare to run!

But..., can you navigate your way back???

Damn! Where's my flying carpet when I need it?

Well, I've got one good idea how we might... VP for some more super senses (thus dropping the immunity to heat environments) Blueshift would start having to make checks, but since they're on their way out, I'm hoping that won't matter as much.

Would you allow some sort of sonar or echolocation scanner to allow her to form a mental map of the cave system? Mental quickness should allow her to find the shortest possible route out with barely a hesitation, and once she knows what that is, she can lead the team out.

Possible additional ideas: Maybe the echolocation is heat based, and she'll be able to navigate them through the coolest tunnels (i.e. the ones without lava).