The Unlikely Duo

Lilac

Agnes blushed. She stretched out first one hand and then the other, not knowing what to do with her arms at all now. The whole little dance she was doing with the Emissary struck her as funny. She looked over at the hero and started to laugh at herself. Dork.

Finally Agnes slowly stretched her arms straight out, palms down. It felt good as the wind rushed over her, pushing against her palms. It was like she was diving from a really high perch. Her celestial wings fanned out wide to match her arms, and the flying ceased to be an act of will. It became an almost effortless instinct.

After a moment of basking in the joy of flying, Agnes addressed the Emissary.

"First let us complete a circuit of the downtown core. Let me know if you ever wish to go lower than we are. I have a bit of an advantage in how high up I can be in that my sight and hearing extend several measures further than most. Though I would still recommend keeping to somewhere above the rooftops."

"My eyesight is really good too when I concentrate, so I'm fine with however high up you want to go. Let's go downtown. The city is so pretty at this time of day."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agnes blushed. She stretched out first one hand and then the other, not knowing what to do with her arms at all now. The whole little dance she was doing with the Emissary struck her as funny. She looked over at the hero and started to laugh at herself. Dork.

Finally Agnes slowly stretched her arms straight out, palms down. It felt good as the wind rushed over her, pushing against her palms. It was like she was diving from a really high perch. Her celestial wings fanned out wide to match her arms, and the flying ceased to be an act of will. It became an almost effortless instinct.

After a moment of basking in the joy of flying, Agnes addressed the Emissary.

"First let us complete a circuit of the downtown core. Let me know if you ever wish to go lower than we are. I have a bit of an advantage in how high up I can be in that my sight and hearing extend several measures further than most. Though I would still recommend keeping to somewhere above the rooftops."

"My eyesight is really good too when I concentrate, so I'm fine with however high up you want to go. Let's go downtown. The city is so pretty at this time of day."

He smiled at Agnes seeming to find a mode of flight she enjoyed, nodding to her statement as they continue then to fly through the downtown core, tall skyscrapers gleaming in the afternoon sun, refracting light upon them both.

"Alright. Oh.. you are not especially allergic to cats? They have, I find, a decidedly unfortunate habit of getting stuck in trees, leaving the anxiety of children in their wake. And while it entirely takes a backseat to preventing robbery or rescue from a fire, if I do come across any so stuck, and I have the time, well..."

He smiled at Agnes seeming to find a mode of flight she enjoyed, nodding to her statement as they continue then to fly through the downtown core, tall skyscrapers gleaming in the afternoon sun, refracting light upon them both.

"Alright. Oh.. you are not especially allergic to cats? They have, I find, a decidedly unfortunate habit of getting stuck in trees, leaving the anxiety of children in their wake. And while it entirely takes a backseat to preventing robbery or rescue from a fire, if I do come across any so stuck, and I have the time, well..."

Lindsay clutched her shirt closed as she ran blindly through the alley. The attractive twenty-something was barefoot, having left her expensive shoes well behind her. Her once perfect makeup was streaked down her face, and her blouse was torn open.

"This isn't happening. This can't be happening!"

It really shouldn't have been happening. Not in downtown Freedom City at rushhour. But it was.

With a whooping yell, all six of the gang members came running around the corner after her. They were the ones who had stolen her purse, torn her blouse, and scared her half to death. Now they were herding her into the alley for a purpose far more sinister.

Lindsay clutched her shirt closed as she ran blindly through the alley. The attractive twenty-something was barefoot, having left her expensive shoes well behind her. Her once perfect makeup was streaked down her face, and her blouse was torn open.

It really shouldn't have been happening. Not in downtown Freedom City at rushhour. But it was.

With a whooping yell, all six of the gang members came running around the corner after her. They were the ones who had stolen her purse, torn her blouse, and scared her half to death. Now they were herding her into the alley for a purpose far more sinister.

"No, I'm not allergic," she said loudly over the rushing wind.

As they soared over the city, Agnes decided that she needed to be working and not just enjoying the flight. She concentrated hard on watching the city below, and slowly the details became clear. She could see the cars, the people, even the scant blades of grass growing on the small green ways throughout the city. Nothing could hide from her sight when she concentrated hard enough. Not even the dark alleys between the tall buildings could keep their secrets from her.

"Hey! Over there! That woman is being chased. She's in trouble." Agnes pointed toward a cluster of large buildings near the city's center. "There!"

She looked to the Emissary for permission to intervene.

As they soared over the city, Agnes decided that she needed to be working and not just enjoying the flight. She concentrated hard on watching the city below, and slowly the details became clear. She could see the cars, the people, even the scant blades of grass growing on the small green ways throughout the city. Nothing could hide from her sight when she concentrated hard enough. Not even the dark alleys between the tall buildings could keep their secrets from her.

"Hey! Over there! That woman is being chased. She's in trouble." Agnes pointed toward a cluster of large buildings near the city's center. "There!"

celestia-1.jpg

Agnes nodded quickly and then sped off toward the alley. She didn't give any thought to whether or not the Emissary was keeping up. She just assumed he was. Leaving a contrail of golden mist behind her, Celestia skimmed the top of the building and then dove down into the alley. The terror on the woman's face was obvious as were the intentions of her perusers, so Celestia wasn't wasting any time. As she descended into the alley she flipped in the air and landed feat first on street between the fleeing woman and the gang members. The ground shook and the asphalt was pounded into little pieces of debris at the force of her landing.

"Stop," she said with surprising forcefulness as she stood up straight.

celestia-1.jpg

Agnes nodded quickly and then sped off toward the alley. She didn't give any thought to whether or not the Emissary was keeping up. She just assumed he was. Leaving a contrail of golden mist behind her, Celestia skimmed the top of the building and then dove down into the alley. The terror on the woman's face was obvious as were the intentions of her perusers, so Celestia wasn't wasting any time. As she descended into the alley she flipped in the air and landed feat first on street between the fleeing woman and the gang members. The ground shook and the asphalt was pounded into little pieces of debris at the force of her landing.

"Stop," she said with surprising forcefulness as she stood up straight.

Lindsay ran to the first door she came to and pounded on it, screaming, "Help me! Heeeeeeeeeelp!" She could hear the whooping and the disgusting laughs of her pursuers. They were close. "Help!" she screamed once more and started to run again.

Before Lindsay could take three steps there was a deafening boom, and she was knocked off her feet.

Is this what it feels like to be shot?

She looked up and saw a brilliant light and what appeared to be an angel.

Lindsay was too scared to move, and she wasn't sure if being shot was better than being caught by the gang.

Lindsay ran to the first door she came to and pounded on it, screaming, "Help me! Heeeeeeeeeelp!" She could hear the whooping and the disgusting laughs of her pursuers. They were close. "Help!" she screamed once more and started to run again.

Before Lindsay could take three steps there was a deafening boom, and she was knocked off her feet.

Is this what it feels like to be shot?

She looked up and saw a brilliant light and what appeared to be an angel.

Lindsay was too scared to move, and she wasn't sure if being shot was better than being caught by the gang.

The gang members came to a screeching halt, and the fastest two, the two in the lead were also knocked to the ground upon Celestia's landing. The three that remained on their feet looked stunned. One of them had a pistol in his hand. He leveled it at Celestia and fired, but his hand was shaking so badly, he missed.

The gang members came to a screeching halt, and the fastest two, the two in the lead were also knocked to the ground upon Celestia's landing. The three that remained on their feet looked stunned. One of them had a pistol in his hand. He leveled it at Celestia and fired, but his hand was shaking so badly, he missed.

The Emissary wanted to give Celestia the chance to have the lead on this, and for any resultant flush of victory to be hers, so as he caught up, an argent blur in her golden wake, he moved simply to ensure the young woman was safe, and to remove her from any ensuing fight, however brief it was likely to be.

He shifted in tone to speak as soothingly as he could.

"It will be alright miss. My friend has this in hand, I'll get you out of here."

He picked her up at that to fly her out of the alleyway.

The Emissary wanted to give Celestia the chance to have the lead on this, and for any resultant flush of victory to be hers, so as he caught up, an argent blur in her golden wake, he moved simply to ensure the young woman was safe, and to remove her from any ensuing fight, however brief it was likely to be.

"It will be alright miss. My friend has this in hand, I'll get you out of here."

celestia-1.jpg

The look of terror on the woman's face was the image that was emblazoned in Celestia's mind as she stood and faced the gangsters. She was trying to be tough, to stand and take down the bad guys, but all she could think about was comforting the poor suffering woman. Her lack of resolve quickly ended when the ganger fired his gun. This was the real world, and it was dangerous. This wasn't something to be enjoyed. Hesitation, doubt, or even bravado could get people killed. Better to face the enemy quickly and win decisively.

Without another thought, Celestia drew out her sword and pointed it down the alley. A blast of golden energy pulsed out from the blade. It impacted the thugs like a ton of bricks, sending them flying in all directions. Four of the gang members were slammed into the walls of the alley so hard they were instantly knocked unconscious. The fifth, the one with the gun, was sent sailing through the air down the alley nearly a hundred feet before he crashed into the ground, limp and unconscious.

Celestia stood there for a moment, the sword still held out, looking at the carnage.

"Woah."

celestia-1.jpg

The look of terror on the woman's face was the image that was emblazoned in Celestia's mind as she stood and faced the gangsters. She was trying to be tough, to stand and take down the bad guys, but all she could think about was comforting the poor suffering woman. Her lack of resolve quickly ended when the ganger fired his gun. This was the real world, and it was dangerous. This wasn't something to be enjoyed. Hesitation, doubt, or even bravado could get people killed. Better to face the enemy quickly and win decisively.

Without another thought, Celestia drew out her sword and pointed it down the alley. A blast of golden energy pulsed out from the blade. It impacted the thugs like a ton of bricks, sending them flying in all directions. Four of the gang members were slammed into the walls of the alley so hard they were instantly knocked unconscious. The fifth, the one with the gun, was sent sailing through the air down the alley nearly a hundred feet before he crashed into the ground, limp and unconscious.

Celestia stood there for a moment, the sword still held out, looking at the carnage.

"Woah."

The woman started to scream at the sudden appearance of the silver hero, but quickly realized that she was saved. The dramatic arrival of Celestia and the Emissary might have terrified a normal person, but Lindsay was born and raised in Freedom City, and seeing flying people or silver people, or even giant robots was pretty much part of daily life.

"Thank you," she said, swallowing back tears of a fear that was starting to fade.

As the Emissary carried her into the sky and to safety, it occurred to Lindsay that the other hero, the girl with the wings, was about to lay a smack-down on her tormentors. She held the Emissary tight around the neck, but craned her own head around to try to see what was happening down on the street. BOOM! Celestia sent the villains flying into the air with an explosion of energy.

"Hit 'em again!" she yelled down to the street. "I hope they broke their necks," she mumbled.

The woman started to scream at the sudden appearance of the silver hero, but quickly realized that she was saved. The dramatic arrival of Celestia and the Emissary might have terrified a normal person, but Lindsay was born and raised in Freedom City, and seeing flying people or silver people, or even giant robots was pretty much part of daily life.

"Thank you," she said, swallowing back tears of a fear that was starting to fade.

As the Emissary carried her into the sky and to safety, it occurred to Lindsay that the other hero, the girl with the wings, was about to lay a smack-down on her tormentors. She held the Emissary tight around the neck, but craned her own head around to try to see what was happening down on the street. BOOM! Celestia sent the villains flying into the air with an explosion of energy.

"Hit 'em again!" she yelled down to the street. "I hope they broke their necks," she mumbled.