The Unlikely Duo

Lilac

agnes.jpg

Agnes hastily and very sloppily finished up her school work at about 3:00 PM. She had been beside herself with excitement all day, making it exceptionally difficult for her to concentrate. With Sister Agatha's permission, she changed her clothes, summoned the sword, and began running as fast as she could up the stairwell into the church's steeple. Agnes used the dusty old spiral staircase frequently to reach the roof. She did her best thinking, praying, and writing on the small flat piece of room just behind the steeple. Technically, no one was allowed up there or out on the roof (which is where she was headed), but the Fathers never said anything to her about it. She was always very responsible, and it was not like they thought she might fall and break her neck. Her neck was pretty tough.

Pushing open the little door at the top of the stairwell, Agnes crawled through onto the roof. The air was cold, and everything looked a deep red in the light of the setting sun. Agnes looked down on the the expanse of the West End that stretched out all around the church. She smiled. It was a good place to live and she loved it and this old church dearly. Carefully, far more carefully than was necessary for a girl who could fly, Agnes stepped out onto the slanted part of the roof and took a few steps away from the little door so she could see around the steeple. She was looking for someone, someone who was supposed to meet her here.

And there he was.

"Hey," she said, giving the Emissary a little wave.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agnes.jpg

Agnes hastily and very sloppily finished up her school work at about 3:00 PM. She had been beside herself with excitement all day, making it exceptionally difficult for her to concentrate. With Sister Agatha's permission, she changed her clothes, summoned the sword, and began running as fast as she could up the stairwell into the church's steeple. Agnes used the dusty old spiral staircase frequently to reach the roof. She did her best thinking, praying, and writing on the small flat piece of room just behind the steeple. Technically, no one was allowed up there or out on the roof (which is where she was headed), but the Fathers never said anything to her about it. She was always very responsible, and it was not like they thought she might fall and break her neck. Her neck was pretty tough.

Pushing open the little door at the top of the stairwell, Agnes crawled through onto the roof. The air was cold, and everything looked a deep red in the light of the setting sun. Agnes looked down on the the expanse of the West End that stretched out all around the church. She smiled. It was a good place to live and she loved it and this old church dearly. Carefully, far more carefully than was necessary for a girl who could fly, Agnes stepped out onto the slanted part of the roof and took a few steps away from the little door so she could see around the steeple. She was looking for someone, someone who was supposed to meet her here.

And there he was.

agnes.jpg

And there he was.

He waved with a cheerful smile in response, hovering somewhat above the roof.

"Hello. Your day has been going well I hope?"

"Not bad," she said. "How about you?" She caught herself still waving and clasped her hands behind her back. "Did you get all of your paperwork done?"

"Not bad," she said. "How about you?" She caught herself still waving and clasped her hands behind her back. "Did you get all of your paperwork done?"

"There is always more, generating itself from some endless fount of bureaucracy.."

A sigh, then shaking his head.

"But enough done that I was able to set aside this day for patrols. We can begin in the downtown and northern areas, but I generally shift towards the southside district as evening draws closer. I would warn, it can be.. unpleasant, sometimes."

"There is always more, generating itself from some endless fount of bureaucracy.."

"But enough done that I was able to set aside this day for patrols. We can begin in the downtown and northern areas, but I generally shift towards the southside district as evening draws closer. I would warn, it can be.. unpleasant, sometimes."

celestia-1.jpg

"I'm ready," Agnes said. She moved forward, about ready to step off into the air when she stopped. "Wait! My costume. I've been practicing." Agnes held out her sword without removing it from it's decorative sheath. Instantly, she was covered in a cloud of golden dust. Her street clothes were replaced with Byzantine armor. Large ephemeral wings stretched out behind her.

"Now I'm ready," she said. Agnes stepped off into the air and stood there like she was standing on solid ground. "Lead the way."

celestia-1.jpg

"I'm ready," Agnes said. She moved forward, about ready to step off into the air when she stopped. "Wait! My costume. I've been practicing." Agnes held out her sword without removing it from it's decorative sheath. Instantly, she was covered in a cloud of golden dust. Her street clothes were replaced with Byzantine armor. Large ephemeral wings stretched out behind her.

"Now I'm ready," she said. Agnes stepped off into the air and stood there like she was standing on solid ground. "Lead the way."

celestia-1.jpg

He seemed particularly delighted by sparkling motes of golden light heralding her transformation.

"Oh! That was almost as pixie dust!"

He coughed at that, coming back to himself.

"Ahm.. I have something of a fondness for the children's works of J.M. Barrie. So, yes, patrolling."

He took further aloft at that, leading Agnes out into a path just above the city's rooftops.

He seemed particularly delighted by sparkling motes of golden light heralding her transformation.

"Ahm.. I have something of a fondness for the children's works of J.M. Barrie. So, yes, patrolling."

He took further aloft at that, leading Agnes out into a path just above the city's rooftops.

Agnes stretched out her wings wide and began to rise up above the church. She strapped the sword and scabbard around her waist, and then flew up beside the Emissary as the two of them headed out over the city. Agnes looked over at the Emissary and then folded and unfolded her arms. She was never quite sure what to do with her arms when she flew. She looked over at the Emissary again. He had his arms stretched out in front of him like a swimmer, so Agnes struck that pose too.

"Where are we going first? Where are we most likely to find some bad guys?"

Agnes stretched out her wings wide and began to rise up above the church. She strapped the sword and scabbard around her waist, and then flew up beside the Emissary as the two of them headed out over the city. Agnes looked over at the Emissary and then folded and unfolded her arms. She was never quite sure what to do with her arms when she flew. She looked over at the Emissary again. He had his arms stretched out in front of him like a swimmer, so Agnes struck that pose too.

He eyes Agnes.

"Actually I just do that to stretch sometimes. Or for the idea that if I have to catch something, my arms are already out. I have yet to find a particularly compelling reason for either main flying position. And I get the funniest looks when I ask.."

He takes a moment to pull one arm back to his side, and keep the other extended.

"There are also some that fly this way, though again, I could not tell you why. It is admittedly the most dramatic looking of available poses."

He pulls both arms back.

"Though perhaps this one is the most aerodynamic, do you think?"

He shakes his head as they begin to fly through the city, and he starts to look about.

"These are just things I think about sometimes. As for the bad guys as it were, it can vary, though many criminal activities often cluster around Southside and the Fens. I also try to help out with accidents if I come across any. But just as important is to give people a sense that you care about what goes on in this city, that you wish to do your part for it. Well, at least to me anyway. My hope is that my presence can reassure as much as deter."

"First let us complete a circuit of the downtown core. Let me know if you ever wish to go lower than we are. I have a bit of an advantage in how high up I can be in that my sight and hearing extend several measures further than most. Though I would still recommend keeping to somewhere above the rooftops."

He eyes Agnes.

"Actually I just do that to stretch sometimes. Or for the idea that if I have to catch something, my arms are already out. I have yet to find a particularly compelling reason for either main flying position. And I get the funniest looks when I ask.."

He takes a moment to pull one arm back to his side, and keep the other extended.

"There are also some that fly this way, though again, I could not tell you why. It is admittedly the most dramatic looking of available poses."

He pulls both arms back.

He shakes his head as they begin to fly through the city, and he starts to look about.

"These are just things I think about sometimes. As for the bad guys as it were, it can vary, though many criminal activities often cluster around Southside and the Fens. I also try to help out with accidents if I come across any. But just as important is to give people a sense that you care about what goes on in this city, that you wish to do your part for it. Well, at least to me anyway. My hope is that my presence can reassure as much as deter."

"First let us complete a circuit of the downtown core. Let me know if you ever wish to go lower than we are. I have a bit of an advantage in how high up I can be in that my sight and hearing extend several measures further than most. Though I would still recommend keeping to somewhere above the rooftops."

He eyes Agnes.

He pulls both arms back.

Agnes blushed. She stretched out first one hand and then the other, not knowing what to do with her arms at all now. The whole little dance she was doing with the Emissary struck her as funny. She looked over at the hero and started to laugh at herself. Dork.

Finally Agnes slowly stretched her arms straight out, palms down. It felt good as the wind rushed over her, pushing against her palms. It was like she was diving from a really high perch. Her celestial wings fanned out wide to match her arms, and the flying ceased to be an act of will. It became an almost effortless instinct.

After a moment of basking in the joy of flying, Agnes addressed the Emissary.

"My eyesight is really good too when I concentrate, so I'm fine with however high up you want to go. Let's go downtown. The city is so pretty at this time of day."