Dinner at Maddens (IC)

Aoiroo

-No real opinion,- Eve replied, taking a sip of her tea. -Some things which are classified as magic are something else entirely; some of the more psychokinetic talents I or my fami--others possess, for instance.- The green-eyed grin smiled at Etain, absently running a finger across the illusionary rose.

-But like any meta-ability what matters is ethical use of that power. Psychics such as myself are... as I mentioned before viewed with suspicion. There usually is no indicator that we are using our abilities--for example, the waiter had no idea I was speaking to you while you ordered for us both, and such subtly is inherent in nearly all of our abilities. But thankfully we are rare. Magic... is less so, and thus the potential for abuse is greater.-

She smiled a bit as she listened and than said,

"Actually that is a bit inaccurate. The potiential for natural magic ability in a hu-person is very, very rare. A lot of the magic you have probably seen used by people is much more likely to be magic from an outsider or a creature who resides from another realm, I believe a lot of people refer to them as 'gods'. The 'gods' themselves are not allowed to interfer with this realm, but they have a great interest in it. When they give power the individual gives up a good portion of their will to act for this god and it is very often that the things they must do in their name are not at all pleasant and a lot of the time they may not even have a choice in the matter. There of course the happenings where the power itself has greatly warped the personality of the person which does happen when a person gets power from an artifact rather than a god."

Reaching down for her cup she kept her smile like she was talking about the weather,

"It is sometimes good though, Mr. Nick for example, the one who gave him power is very reasonable."

The telepath chuckled but held off reply as the waiter had arrived with their food. She sighed; the lettuce was iceberg and not something of finer quality, but she picked up her fork and attacked the salad anyway. -Regardless of the source,- she said spearing a sliver a chicken with her fork, -Magic is magic, well, to these untrained eyes at least. And there are far more of you--general you, mind, though the world would be a lot prettier if there were more of you, specifically, about--than there are of we telepaths.-

-But I suppose the source DOES matter to practitioners such as you, doesn't it?-

She smiled at the response as the waiter came with her food. Moving her elbows she let the large basket of fries stacked high with chili and cheese sit for the moment to cool.

"The source matters to anyone affected by magic. Magic by its very nature is defined by its source. I have had a similiar arguement with Corbin on the matter, I think it is rather fortunate that his is not a source that is not bad. He is very optimistic in his opinions on how bad magic could be used for good things, but I do not think he has seen much in ways of magic that is actually bad."

Reaching down, she removed her gloves and set them aside before reaching for a clean looking end of a fry stilling out from the chili. She brought it to her mouth and blew on it before taking a large bite of the chili and bring up a napkin from the table to make sure no excess dribbled onto her blouse.

"But then, it is a very optimistic world here. Power here draws more lines of positive use rather than status and that in turn gives those without a brighter outlook."

-I suppose I don't mind what the source is so long as the power is used to help and not harm,- Eve replied with a shrug. She ate in silence for a short while; she wanted to ask Etain about the gloves, the long sleeves despite the weather, even the plastic flatware, but she wasn't sure how to broach the subject.

-Any family?- she asked after a time, quirking up a snowy white eyebrow. -Or is family one of those things you can't talk about? I know some students are careful about that sort of thing; I also know that's why many of them avoid me, they think I'd pry. So I will understand if you are one of those people.-

She chewed over a fry quietly for a few seconds before saying,

"My family, huh,"

She had to think about that subject, it was something she had often thought about,

"Those I call my family are not really, I was adopted when I was very young. My blood relatives, well I know my parents are not still living and the others do not know I exist. This thing is all really complicated because my family is not here. I have a sponser who is very nice, I do not think I would be able to live here as I have without them. In fact it is likely I would not live here at all without them."

Picking up a completely bare fry from her plate she submerged it in the chili before bringing it up and looking at Eve,

"What about your family?"

-My family?- Eve set her for aside for a moment and rubbed her chin thoughtfully. She wasn't sure how she should answer that question, then sighed, shook her head slightly and opted to go with what a determined investigator could dig up.

-We're an old family, a very old family.- Eve shrugged at Etain, -You can trace our line all the way back to Charles Martel--Charles the Hammer--grandfather of Charlemagne. Possibly further but that's already nearly 1200 years of history.-

-But none of that is important. What we do now, is. Martel Enterprises and our subsidiaries are leaders in the field of life science.-

Listening quietly, stop stoped for a second midfry. Putting it down she looked at Eve with a smile,

"Really, is that what you think about your family?"

She picked up her cup of tea and took a sip instead before looking over,

"It almost sounded like you were reading that out of a book. I guess I should have asked a better question, who is your family to you?"

-Everything,- Eve answered immediately. -My mother and father encouraged me to pursue my dreams and ambitions, and they provided the means to allow me to do this. My sister, Isabel, is my best friend. She helped me through a rough patch a few years ago when my abilities made themselves manifest... and she comforted me after some kids decided to torment 'the little gay girl.' My brother, Nicholas, he lives here in Freedom City, it is he who helped me gain entrance into Claremont.-

-My family is everything to me, Etain. It is they who have shaped me into the person I am and provide the example of who I want to be.-

Etain smiled again before setting down her cup,

"That is good, my family is that as well. Even though the circumstances for which they are my family are very unusual. My father taught me how to use a sword. My mother, she helped me learn to use my abilities and how to block out things that were not good for me to see."

She thought about it for a second before she remembered that it had unusual context. She reached up and tapped the sides of her eyes,

"I have a strange ability, since I was born. There is a good bit too it, but the shorter way to say it is that I see anything that is magic more vividly than everything else. It was very troublesome when I was young because if I saw things too powerful I would faint or be unable to see for several days. My mother helped me so that I could supress it, or that I could better identify the things I was seeing so I would not be so overwhelmed. Though it still happens sometimes, but not frequently enough to be too uncomfortable."

Eve's eyebrows rose at the mention of swordplay though there was a flicker of concern across the telepath's expression when Etain mentioned the possible side effects of her unique way of seeing magic. The white-haired teen found herself reaching across the table, taking one of Etain's hands into her own and giving it a tender squeeze.

She turned the hand of her dinner companion over, palm up and traced her fingers lightly across the lines of Etain's hand. -So you know some swordplay,- she said after a moment, her mental tone thoughtful, -Might I trouble you for a demonstration, later?-

Her smile brightened a couple of watts at the aspect,

"Of course, I have been getting rather rusty with how infrequently I have been able to ultilize it. Though I wonder what may be more appropriate since I do not like showing without a purpose. I suppose there are some to find that may benefit to be stopped from their current course of actions."

She took her free hand and grabbed another fry taking a bite as she thought about that. Would it be rude to go looking after dinner for those who might seek to harm others? It is not like it would take very long, though maybe that was something more better used if it is determined farther advance.

-Oh, I'm sure we could find some way you could demonstrate your form,- Eve said, still holding Etain's hand in her own. The telepath's green eyes were half-lidded, her cheeks have been lightly flushed for several minutes now, and it appeared as though she had forgotten about her food entirely.

-Capping off the evening by doing some good sounds and feels right.- Eve glanced up at the attractive girl across the table and smiled. -That is if you don't mind,- she said, -Not sure how you got here, if you have a ride coming to pick you up, I mean I can give you a lift home if you miss your ride, if you want to make the night just a little safer and all.-

Her blush deepened. -Sorry, rambling.-

Etain smiled as she finished off the last of her chili fries which for such a large basket disappeared with surprising effiency.

"That would be nice, I did have a ride here but I do not like to disturb him too often."

When the check came they split it evenly, but lingered at the table for a little longer as Etain wanted to order one of the cookies and creme dessert pies as she had never tried it before. She kept it at the middle of the table to share, but her companion seemed far less interested in the dessert than herself.

Eve, for her part, was content to watch Etain.

As she watched her dark-haired companion pick through the dessert the young Martel was conducting a thorough examination of the evening but try as she might she couldn't make sense of the evening. She couldn't pinpoint the moment when she stopped regarding the dinner as a meal between friends (albeit new friends) and starting looking at it as a (hopeful) beginning to something more.

The stars were out when Eve drove Etain home in her black roadster, the open design putting the wind in their hair. Eve felt a little sad as she navigated down nearly deserted streets to North Bay, knowing that the end to an interesting and enjoyable night was rapidly approaching. Eventually the roadster pulled up to the Fidai residence, and Eve put it in park, letting its powerful engine quietly purr.

Eve watched Etain out of the corner of her eye, worrying her lower lip some a half-dozen things to say wormed their way through her mind but she kept silent, out of nerves, mainly. When her dark-haired companion reached for the door handle, the telepath acted on impulse, a quiet voice in the back her mind murmuring, "To hell with it."

As far as kisses were concerned, this one was hardly noteworthy. Eve's lips met Etain's own with a gentle awkwardness born of inexperience and a hesitation at odds with the impulsive action.

Etain quite enjoyed the ride over, even if the vehicle was metal it was fun having the wind whip through her hair as they passed all the estates up towards her guardian's house. When she got there she wasn't too surprised when she was pulled in for a kiss which she returned quietly and softly, trying not to push anything that may be unnessicary after such a short period of aquaintace. Breaking off from it was not something she did very willingly, but the ringing of the small plastic phone lighting up the concealed pocket of her skirt made her pull back with a sigh and look at the screen,

"My guardians are inquiring about my location,"

Smiling she moved closer and gave Eve another shorter kiss before grabbing the handle of the car,

"I must go now, but I would like to see you later yes?"

Eve drew in a breath and nodded, -Of course.- Then she blushed and added, -You can see me any time.- She waited until Etain was indoors before she drove away.

Eve guided her car back to the Martel Estate smiling the whole way. She slipped the black roadster into its parking space and practically danced her way into the manse proper, gliding up the sweeping stairs to her room on the second floor. As Eve made her usual preparations for bed she noticed an object tucked behind her ear; it was the napkin Etain had transformed into a rose, now in its true form once again.

She had forgotten about it and the telepath was quietly amused at how quickly she became accustom to its weight and presence.

She kept the napkin.