Interceptors - They're Finally Getting Married! OOC)

Heritage

Expanding on my earlier suggestion:

Dynamo's got STR 20 and Speed 7. Up to 133 lbs. for a Light Load, and up to 266 lbs. for a Medium Load. I doubt any of the bystanders weigh more than that.

If you figure the weight distribution of the bystanders is half and half, that means he can move at full speed for half of them, and 2/3 speed for the other half. With a double move, that's a total of 1,666ft of movement to play with, going back and forth between each individual bystander and the exit.

If you let him pick people up as a routine task, then even at the most crunchy, that's 3 seconds base (a standard action to grapple someone), chopped down to 0.012 seconds with Quickness 7. Less than a second by a long shot, so very much a free action.

Someone else can take the math from there, but I'd be very, very surprised if he couldn't evacuate every single civilian from the building in one combat round.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dynamo - 29 - HPx4 - Unharmed

Jack - 28 - HPx6 - Unharmed

Dok - 27 - HPx5 - Unharmed

Grim - 26 - HPx3 - Unharmed

Gillman - 23 - Unharmed

Colt - 18 - HPx7 - Unharmed

Dragonfly - 17 - HPx2 - Unharmed

Jill - 15 - HPx1 - Unharmed

Thrude - 14 - HPx1 - Unharmed; Interposing

Fulcrum - 9 - HPx1 - Unharmed

Willow - 4 - HPx1 - Unharmed

Jack!

Oh, sorry, totally missed that Jack was up in this.

Jack of all Blades

Move Action: Auto-DC 36 Feint w/ Skill Mastery and Fast Talk.

Standard Action: Auto-DC 36 Distract w/ Skill Mastery.

Extra Effort: Surge.

Standard Action: Auto-DC 36 Taunt w/ Skill Mastery.

Set-Up: He'll pass along the Feint to whomever plans to attack Gillman first.

It's cool. These things tend to move slowly anyway.

Everything here is fine. However, as per the Set-Up feat, you need to actually select a specific character for the set-up when you use the feat. Saying, "whoever attacks first" is strictly 'not good enough'. Jack has no way of knowing who actually plans to throw the first punch (He lacks any sort of Mental Communication with Rapid or any such thing). Therefore, you'll have to declare who gets the Set-Up now.

Rolls:

DC 36 Feint w/ Skill Mastery and Fast Talk, opposed by sense motive (1d20+15=31);

DC 36 Distract w/ Skill Mastery opposed by Sense Motive (1d20+15=17);

DC 36 Taunt w/ Skill Mastery opposed by Sense Motive (1d20+15=28);

He fails all three.

Before we move on, I'd like to know who Jack is setting up.

In case Giz & you missed my edit to my prior post:

EDIT: And you may want to pass that Set-Up on to someone else, since Dok's not attacking (not in a way that JoaB's help would help).

Free Action: Maintain Enhanced Mind/Enhanced Charisma

Free Action: Activate Enhanced Fort/Force Field/Shield

Move Action: Reconfigure Electromagnetic Screwdriver (Gadgets 3) to

Comprehend 2 (electronics 2 [speak to and understand]) {4}

Datalink 2 (100 feet; PFs: Rapid 2 [x100]; Drawback: Noticeable) {3}

Enhanced Feat 1 (Eidetic Memory) {1}

Enhanced Skills 12 (Computer 6, Disable Device 6) {3}

Super-Senses 2 (detect technology [radio]; Enhancements: analytical, rapid 2 [x100]; Drawback: Noticeable) {3}

Super-Senses 1 (communication link [radio] to Hanover HQ) {1}

4+3+1+3+3+1 = 15/15

Dok's Computer and Disable Device are both now +27. Eidetic Memory is there so the Screwdriver itself can record everything it finds; these would be lost if he reconfigures it and gets rid of the Eidetic Memory before he's able to transfer it to a separate computer.
    Noticeable = blindingly obvious scanning beam

? Action: Use the above on Gillman's widget.

"Hello, Computer. Would you like to tell me everything about yourself, including blueprints and schematics of your hardware and copies of your software? Of course you would. Of course you can trust me -- I am, after all, a Doktor."

At the GM’s discretion, you can use the Computers and Disable Device skills in place of Diplomacy and Bluff when speaking with machines.
Computer/"Diplomacy" check (1d20+27=47) Yes. Yes, it would.

You seem to have convinced the plot device to tell you what the plot is! :o

The device is actually a rather simple invention. It's just a super micro sized version / combination of pretty much every device and or major advance the scientific community has made in the area of portals/wormholes/dimensional travel/time travel/etc/etc.

The very long story put very shortly is that Gillman scoured the world for every piece of high tech that could ever possibly have anything to do with getting him back home. He then stole them all, or at least a copy of them or the schematics for them, etc. Then he slapped them all in the same box. He found a way to miniaturize the technology during construction so the entire thing is no larger than a palm pilot. There is also extremely heavy suggestion that Gillman had LOTS of help building this. Some unknown super science benefactor? Aliens? People from another dimension? etc. Dr. Archeville also notes that this device has every indication that it's invention was a glorious mistake. It's probably one of a kind, and any attempts to re-create or copy it will fail because it was a miracle that the first one ever made it past the blue prints. A great deal of things were left to chance during it's construction, somehow they all worked out and something beautiful was created. You could likely try inventing it repeatedly until the end of time and never pass through enough iterations of random occurrences to even make a duplication even a remote possibility.

Reading all the schematics and diagrams and such, Archeville's pretty sure that there isn't really much here that he hasn't seen before. He also get's a log of when the device was last used. Beside the rapidly closing portal, it's been used countless times to travel back and forth between another dimension. (this being one of the few things he finds out that he's so far unfamiliar with. Why? Because I just made it up :P) Time does not flow there at all. People do not age, suffer from starvation, or thirst, and the dimension itself is locked forever at a certain point in time. If two people were to travel to this dimension at different times, they would never meet. No matter how long they stayed there, how far the explored, etc. It's as if each time a portal to that dimension is created it transports the traveler to a new instance of the dimension entirely. Many other possible explanations and speculations abound. (Perhaps the device itself was created here. If time stands still and the inventor doesn't age, one could make an infinite number of attempts at getting it right and one would eventually have to succeed (as the limit of n approaches infinity where n is the number of attempts made the likelyhood of the device being created ever so slightly, slowly, but surely, approaches 100%).

Dr. Archeville also notices that the device has a time tracker. It's capable of tracking the flow of time in two different dimensions at the same time. The more rate at which time flows differs, the shorter the amount of time any portals between those dimensions lasts. Time in Colt's home dimension flows much more rapidly than in this one. Therefore the portal is due to close in about 10 seconds (end of the third round). Archeville also notes that the portal is set to transfer any travelers not to that dimension's current time, but to one in the past. Near as Archeville can guess, it would be approximately an hour (maybe less) from when Colt had been sent across the dimensional barrier in the first place. Should he go through, everything would be just as he left it. His house would be safe and sound. No one would have even noticed he'd been gone. Colt's mother would still be alive. Needless to say, Colt doesn't know ANY of this. He's under the assumption that the portal goes to the current time (which, judging by the scale of time flow and how long Colt's been in the local dimension, many years (possibly generations) would have passed in his home dimension).

I realize this is a lot. So if you need something clarified or what not, let me know.

Frankly I'm tempted to say that without the aforementioned communication abilities, no. However, Grim's been part of Jack's team for ages. Archeville's always been the accessory. I think it'd be more likely for him to set her up in the first place anyway. Yea, that switch is kosher (get it?).

So we'll just say that ? Action took your Standard Action for the sake of simplicity.

That actually was a pretty awesome post, Doc. Exactly the type of reaction / info dump targeted at Colt I wanted to see from you!

Unless anyone is opposed, I'd like to award that a hero point for good role playing (Not that he, or anyone in this thread for that matter, is going to need the stock they've currently got). I'll leave his total unchanged for now until I hear some responses.

Current stuff:

Jack - 28 - HPx6 - Unharmed; EE'ed & potentially fatigued

Gillman - 23 - Unharmed

GRIM is up. Currently she is benefiting from JoAB's Set-Up feat. The first attack she makes against him this round will be against his FF defense (so he's easy to hit)! But will she attack after what she just heard? :O

GRIM is up. Currently she is benefiting from JoAB's Set-Up feat. The first attack she makes against him this round will be against his FF defense (so he's easy to hit)! But will she attack after what she just heard? :o

The answer is yes, but with her tiny fist instead of her claws; since he's flat-footed, I take it she gets her Sneak Attack benefit?

Sneak Attack! 1d20+12=28

Unarmed -- DC 20/Toughness (22 w/ Sneak Attack) -- Damage

Indeed Sneak attack Applies. But so do his high amounts of protection.

TOU DC 22 (1d20+16=32) Aparently that tuxedo isn't made of your everyday fabrics! :o

Jack - 28 - HPx6 - Unharmed; EE'ed & potentially fatigued

Gillman - 23 - Unharmed

That'll put Gillman up. He's going to fire a shot at Colt. So that means that Thrude's interpose goes off. But the interpose feat states that you must be adjacent to the ally you're trying to interpose for. It says nothing about jumping in the way of the target of an attack. Ruling on this Shaen?

Once per round, when an ally adjacent to you is targeted by an attack,

you can choose to trade places with that ally as a reaction, making you

the target of the attack instead. If the attack hits, you suffer the effects

normally. If the attack misses you, it also misses your ally. You must declare

your intention to trade places with an ally before the attack roll is made.

You cannot use Interpose if you are stunned or otherwise incapable of

taking free actions.

That'll put Gillman up. He's going to fire a shot at Colt. So that means that Thrude's interpose goes off. But the interpose feat states that you must be adjacent to the ally you're trying to interpose for. It says nothing about jumping in the way of the target of an attack. Ruling on this Shaen?

Hauz Rulz, yo!

Interpose: Once per round, when an ally within range of your normal movement is hit by an attack, you can choose to place yourself between the attacker and your ally as a reaction, making you the target of the attack instead. If the attack hits, you suffer the effects normally. If the attack misses you, it also misses your ally. You must declare your intention to trade places with an ally before the attack roll is made. You cannot use Interpose if you are stunned or otherwise incapable of taking actions. You cannot use Interpose against Perception-range attacks or General Area attacks, only attacks which require an attack roll.

Ah, Right!

He'll attack with this, then. And I believe he rolls against thrude's defense, no?

"Automatic Rays" Blast 16 (Extras: Autofire 2; Flaws: Full Round; PF: Affects Insubstantial 2, Variable Descriptor 2, Split Attack 2, Improved Range, 5 Alternate Powers) [60dp]

Thrude hasn't acted yet, so I think she's still FF, yes? That's also kind of appropriate, because she's taking the bullet...

AoA 5, PA 5, DC 31 + Autofire 2 on hit (vs DEF 13) (1d20+10=17) it hits by 4, increasing the DC by 4, Resulting in a DC 35 TOU save from Thrude. It's sciency bullets, so I don't think any of her weaknesses apply. It's science, not magic.

I'll need to see that save before we move on, and I recommend you do your best (spend some HP!) not to fail... We wouldn't want you suffering knockback and going through the portal >_>

EDIT: My mistake. As that was a power attack (for 5) the DC's actually 40.

Yes, Thrude is flat-footed. So she also loses her Defensive Roll bonus, leaving her Toughness at +8.

Thrude's Toughness save (DC40): 23.

She fails the save by 17, which is 15+, so she's Unconscious (and, it goes without saying, Prone). She failed by 5+, so she suffers Knockback. Kenson recommends against counting Autofire, Critical Hits, or Power Attacks for KB, so that's DMG 16 - KB Resist 4 = 12 = 5,000 = 5,000ft, or 1 mile, less at the attacker's discretion. Feel free to calculate any additional damage for hitting obstacles as you see fit, GM. Any further damage an Unconscious character suffers is automatically Lethal.

Assuming the attack does knock her in the direction of the portal, I'm not worried. It's not like she can't just stunt Dimensional Movement off of her Divine Power array when she wakes up. Goddess, remember? :science:

Ah, yes, but what's she going to do, if her flying bodily through the air takes Colt with her? ;)

She'd also need Time travel, seeing as how the portal is connecting to a point in that dimensions relative time line that is far in the past. Though time does flow faster there, they could always wait, and then dimensionally travel. But Colt would be an old man by the time that rolled around :o

Anyways, if I make an IC GM post? Are you okay with me writing a description of Thrude jumping in the way, or would you prefer I write about him taking the shot, you write about her actions and I write about the outcome?

Kenson recommends against counting Autofire, Critical Hits, or Power Attacks for KB, so that's DMG 16 - KB Resist 4 = 12 = 5,000 = 5,000ft, or 1 mile, less at the attacker's discretion.
I agree with this, I don't think you'll be going a mile, but you won't be just on the other side of the portal either.

I think Colt suffers damage = the KB rank from Thrude impacting him:

TOU vs DC 27 (1d20+6=16) Colt Fails by 11, leaving him staggered and stunned.

HP Re-Roll: re-roll: TOU vs DC 27 (1d20+6=9) +10 is 19. Colt fails by 8. He's bruised and Stunned.

For simplicity sake, I'm going to say that they both fly the same distance, as it's Thrude who's propelling him.

I'll wait for your answer to my question as well as any comments on my KB math and stuff.