Mangled Metal (IC)

"Alright, Wisp! Way to go!" yelled Fulcrum over the roar of the storm.

Drenched head to toe, Fulcrum paid the bone-chilling weather no heed as she swooped in for another attack. Her previous mighty blow had been a powerful right cross to the face. The follow-up left cross smashed against the other side of the metal head in a wicked 1-2 combo. The blow struck with such force that the enamel coating the steaming brute's armor flaked off from the impact of water droplets from her arm! Sounds of twisting and snapping metal continued to echo through the neighborhood as the two heroines focused their strength!

This time however the giantess leveraged her weight, throwing far more strength into the punch. While open to counterattacks, Fulcrum felt confident this would be the disabling blow. The steampunk nightmare already reeled from their combined assault. Victory was within their grasp!

Fulcrum smiled as the massive metal monstrosity gave way underneath her fist. The second punch landed only a moment later and finished the combination with gusto. Already reeling from multiple attacks, the last blow caught the robot off guard. Despite the machine's prodigious bulk, Fulcrum lifted it bodily off the ground!

Spinning end-over-end it went flying through the West End in a graceful arc. Clearing rooftops and businesses alike, the first indication of impact came as a mighty swoosh from down by the river. The accompanying whitewater splash revealed a direct hit! Over whirling gales the geyser roared and crashed down as the steam-powered projectile sank to the bottom of the waterway.

Fulcrum's mood faltered quickly as the numbing pain of the daka crystals crept back into her perception. Quickly a survey of the neighborhood confirmed her suspicions. Looked like the battle was nearing its end!

• 2 weeks later...

Wisp looked over the battlefield and noticed that all the rampaging robots seemed to be down but one was still spitting sparks from a large hole in it's chest. She'd also noticed how Fulcrum hadn't looked so hot when she passed by it.

Vanishing from her perch in a plume of crimson and white smoke, she reappeared next to the downed machine. Peering into the hole that had once been several hundred pounds of steel armoring she saw a massive crystal inside. Okay Vicky, think. Claremont could probably safeguard this thing but it's way too far away. Fulcrum seems to get ill around it so the Brownstone's out. ASTRO! Maybe they can guard it, possibly even tell me what the hell it is. If not, well the river's not much further..., she thought to herself. She reached in to place a hand on it and with another concentrated effort of will took it with her on a 'jump' three football fields away from the remains of the robot and closer to ASTRO Labs.

Yes, Fulcrum looked more than a little ashen just from being near the things. That didn't stop her from smiling weakly and planning on the next course of action. Logically, she couldn't hang around her too much longer, but at the least she could certify that the machines were under control. When the big one she launched didn't resurface, her attention turned to the remaining robots.

Just for good measure, she smashed each one a couple of more times. The legs and arms were the primary targets. If one or more were still active, which didn't seem to be case, then their mobility and ability to cause trouble was limited. Plus the chest plates prevented overexposure to the hazardous dakas certainly came as a bonus.

Once satisfied they were demolished sufficiently, she turned to announce her pained departure only to spot a glowing daka in the far distance! Wisp was transporting one away from her! While she may not know the specifics of her weakness, Fulcrum nonetheless thought the gesture wise and very sweet. Not to mention practical given how little was known of dakas!

Ferros had been planning on closing the robot's chest cavity with the glowing crystal like a tin can. He didn't know what it was, but it couldn't have been safe. Wisp had beaten him to it, though. Seeing that problem taken care of, he turned his thoughts to other things. He approached Fulcrum flying on his disk. "Please," He told her, seeing her smashing robot after robot, "Allow me," The mask he wore smiled and he raised his hand. In short order, the remaining robots he hadn't already reduced to slag were crumpled up into neat cubes as if they'd just gone through a car compactor. "There, in case they're still holding more of those gems inside, this should act as a good measure of protection and easy transportation for them, ya know? Hey, now, I'm not sure we've been properly introduced. I'm Ferros." He extended his hand to the giantess.

Fulcrum seemed to relax once the robots were contained. Okay, not just contained but tin canned. She still didn't look so good, perhaps like she had the flu. Looked a little pale and tired. Still she managed a weak smile and shook Ferros' hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, Ferros. Thank you. I haven't seen you around before today. Are you new to Freedom City?" she asked while surveying the damage. The sound of sirens echoed in the distance.

"That's quite a power set you have there. What is it? Magnetic field generation? Regardless you really took these robots to task. Excellent work," said the heroine as she hovered. "I have no idea from where these things came, but I'd really like to know. They're big, dangerous, but also quite expensive looking. Those crystals look like Dakas, which are very rare and expensive for even the small ones." She tapped her chin in thought.

"Anyway, now we just have to figure out what to do with the leftovers and clean up the mess." She didn't mention disposing of the damnable crystals, for which she would surely thank Wisp profusely.

Bad enough having normal, colorless crystals eating you alive. Now she could add Green Daka to her list of problems. Interestingly, the green ones caused a feverish sickness, while the clear ones felt like icy needles driving into her. Her mind wandered as to what other colors existed...

"Well, as Ferros, I'm new to the city, ya know?" Ferros responded, noting the condition that Fulcrum was in, unsure of what he should do about it. " I do not know exactly where my powers come from, but I do know that they are not magnetic in nature. You might know of Supercape? He did a study."

"Well, I am not an expert in crystals, but I do know metal, and you're right. Those bots must have cost a fortune, ya know? There was so much steel, I had trouble melting them at first. But I really cut loose once people started getting really hurt. Speaking of hurt..." The mask on Ferros' face changed. It melted and reformed, creating a set of eyebrows out of a combination of raised areas and recessed areas. Then it subsequently raised an eyebrow. "You don't look so good, ya know? Can you fly? Can I help take you somewhere? These pieces of slag aren't going anywhere. I'm sure the cops will be along with a crane or some such soon to deal with them now that the area is safe."