Ferros

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

Ferros, a metal manipulator.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

No, just the one.

What is your full birth name?

Jin Zhi Wong.

Where do you live?

Freedom City, in Lincoln. My foster family was nice enough to let me stay after I turned 18. Though I pay rent now.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

23 years old, so 1988.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male.

How would you describe your heritage?

I'm Chinese.

How tall are you?

5'6''

What is your body type?

I have a medium to small frame, I'd say.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Seasonal Allergies bug everyone these days. Nothing's particularly debilitating to me, though.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I've had years of Martial Arts training. You might say that's made me graceful. I don't make much of a habit of sneaking around, but I do walk with my head held high.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I've got your typical Chinese look. Tan skin, black hair and dark eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I wear it however it comes out of bed. I'm no stylist. Besides, it's short enough that it's never really untidy. I'm Chinese. So any facial hair I can grow is incredibly limited to start with.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Hey, well, I wouldn't say I'm ugly, but I try to be modest, you know? It's a Tao thing.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I have tattoos, yes. On the top of either forearm I have Yin and Yang. On the underside, I have my Father and Mother's name Huan and Wu. All in Chinese characters. I'm willing to tattoo my body with things that are important to me. It's my own small way of reminding myself, of those things, and honoring important memories. I’ve also recently gotten a White Tiger on my chest. It is sacred to the Chinese element of Metal.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Well, I don't think I do.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Well, my right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Well, I like baggy pants or shorts, mostly. I also like the kind of pants that they strap chains to. It should be obvious why. I also like button down shirts. But not plain ones. Most of mine have Eastern, or Tribal designs on them.

Do you wear makeup?

Hey, no way. I'm not that kind of guy.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Well, average I suppose. I tend to sound very relaxed when I talk. Because most of the time, I am.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Well, I meditate a lot. It's something I learned at the Temple. It relaxes me, and centers me. Hey, I guess people notice. I've never really gotten any complaints though. It's not like meditation is loud or disruptive to people. If anyone did say anything to me, I would probably just block them out. It's easy to do that when you're mind is elsewhere, you know?

History

Where do you come from?

Well, from China.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Hey, I came here when I was five. I've been fostered a few times as well.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Hey, well, I went through American schools, and I'm a citizen of this country now. I do like it here, but part of me will always hold a special place in my heart for China.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Well, I was born in Chongqing, China. I guess it's one of the bigger cities in the area.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Well, you know, before I got my powers everything was cool. After, I was the only mutant orphan, so I guess things were pretty different, sure. It was tough at first, especially when I didn’t know how to use my powers. But everything got better after I joined the Běnzhí temple. They really helped me smooth things over and figure my life out.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Well, I wouldn’t say I’ve ever been exceptional at mundane skills. But things are easy enough when I put my mind to it.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Well, my parents both died when I was five, you know?

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

Well, the terminus invasion. One moment, I’m ready to go out with mom to the store, you know? Then everything explodes, and before I know it, I’m in a hospital in freedom city. So yea, I’d say that basically changed just about everything.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Well, until I joined the Temple, I wasn’t the best student, or the best behaved kid, you know? The Temple really helped straighten me out.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

Well, I’ve been through a few of the schools in Freedom, including Claremont and Hanover.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Well, yea, just my Yin-Yang necklace. Mom gave it to me.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

Well, I guess it was after I got a black belt from the Temple. They really stressed how the Martial Arts are meant for the defense of things you love and believe in, rather than to attack those that oppose you. So I just decided that I’d try it out. I’m gifted, right? I should put it to good use. Part of me always thinks it’s because I don’t want any other kids to have to be orphans, you know? I’d like to think it’s a little more than just that, you know?

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Hey, well, I don’t think so. I don’t really have a reason to lie about that stuff, you know?

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Well, no, I don’t think so. Hope I never do, right?

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Well, no. Humility is one of Taoism’s three treasures, you know? Not good to break those.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

Hey, keeping secrets is no good, you know? I avoid it if possible. But if something is worth protecting, it is worth protecting with your life, you know?

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Hey, no. I’m no trouble maker, you know?

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Huan and Wu.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Until I was five, you know? Then it was a series of foster homes and families.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My father was a Chemist, my mother stayed at home.

Where are your parents now?

Well, they’re dead, you know?

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Well, the families always stayed. It was me that did the moving, you know?

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

Well, I was five, you know? I got along well enough for a kid.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

Well, I got a masters in Chemistry. I would like to think father would be proud, you know?

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

No siblings. Just me.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

No. Don’t know my aunts and uncles well enough, you know? Haven’t seen or heard from them in 18 years.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Well, not really. I usually go to the monks at the Temple for that stuff.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Not really, you know? But hey, most of the men in my family have been scientists.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Hey, I’m not really ready for a family yet.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Of course, you know? Having a family is like the last phase in your life of growing up. Well, hey, I’m pretty sold on this one. It’ll happen someday.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Well, with as calm and cool as I am, they should probably be fiery. To balance me out, you know?

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Well, I’ve had friends. Never spent enough time with one family to call any of them close, you know? Hey, I guess you could count the monks at the Temple.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

I’m sure there would be someone, you know? Maybe I just don’t know it yet.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Hey, you can’t lose what you’ve never had, you know?

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

No, I try not to make enemies at all. Much less bitter ones, you know?

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

If you count the Terminus creatures as ‘someone’, I’d say it would be them destroying my house and my family, you know?

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Nationalism isn’t really a concern of mine. Self-preservation on the other hand is. But hey, if someone needs saving, I’ll be right there, you know?

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust myself, and my religion. Hey, the monks as well, you know?

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Hey, I try to live my life without hatred.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

I admire the things I strive to achieve for myself: Self-centeredness, confidence, humility, etc.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Well, I’m always irritated when people break the Three Treasures. I try hardest not to do that myself.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

I do. So far it’s stayed a secret, you know?

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I haven’t had enough team experience to tell. But, hey, I could probably do both.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Not yet, you know? I’m still the new kid on the block I guess.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I’m a Taoist, and I do spend much of my time at the Temple. I also meditate every day. It keeps me down to earth, you know?

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Confucious, Machiavelli, Plato. Really, if they ever wrote philosophy, I look up to them, you know?

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

Well, most of them have passed already, you know? It’s tough for them to do new things I wouldn’t like when they’re no longer with us.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I think I do, you know? It’s satisfying, it’s fun, it gets me out of the house, and you never have a dull day. No pun intended.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

“Every man has their price,†they say. But no one’s made the right offer yet. Let’s hope they never do, you know?

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I’m pretty satisfied with my place in life. It would be nice to have a place of my own soon, though.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

In this line of work? In 20 years I’ll be lucky if I’m still around, you know?

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

“Nothing to fear but fear itselfâ€, right? No irrational fears or anything. I try to let go of things like fear of the unknown with meditation, so there’s really not much that unnerves me.

Is there anything you would give your life for?

Well, preservation of life is of utmost importance in Taoism. If there was such a thing, it’d have to be more important than everything I currently believe in, you know? If that exists, I haven’t found it yet.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Well, all I really want is enough to live a comfortable life, you know? I’m not looking to make it rich or anything.

How do you generally treat others?

With respect and honor, you know? At least until they show they’re not deserving of it.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

Hey, I prefer to trust first and demand answers later, you know?

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Well, I’d say, I’m introverted, but not shy. I do have self-confidence, but it’s the quiet sort of confidence, you know?

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Hey, well, I am who I am. I don’t see any reason to act differently depending on company, you know?

What are your most annoying habits?

Well, I’ve been told my speech habits can get irritating.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Hey, no way, I’m a supporter of tolerance, you know?

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

I like soup. The exotic ones can get really good. Give me a nice gourmet Ramen, or Pho any day.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I like a good beer now and again. Mostly I prefer a good pale lager, probably because that’s mostly what you’ll see in Chinese beers.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Desert is probably one thing that America’s broken me on. I admit it, I really like chocolate. Cake, donuts, you name it, long as it’s got chocolate.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Hey, that’d have to be sushi. How the Japanese eat that stuff I’ll never know, you know?

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I’m partial to cool colors. Blue is up there.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I like softer music, you know? It’s soothing. Right now I’m a kick with “The Whitest Boy Aliveâ€. And yes, I’m aware of the irony.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Well, hey, I love the taste of chocolate so much is it difficult to imagine it as my favorite scent?

Do you have a favorite animal?

Hey, well, I originally got the white tiger because it was a symbol of my religion, but I can’t say I haven’t grown attached to it, you know?

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

It is a simple necklace of a Yin-Yang given to me by my Father and Mother.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

Well, I have no need of creature comforts. But I’d expect that a few days separated from the metal I’m connected to would be uncomfortable, you know?

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Well, ever seen Dirty Jobs? Just about anything on that show’s off limits, you know?

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

I do, you know? I believe strongly in the teachings of Taoism, and I think they help keep me centered. They keep my life on track.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Yes. The monks at the Temple taught me everything I know about my own spirituality, and how to follow it.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

There’s no real place of worship for me, so I don’t really attend anything, you know? My religion is more of an individual journey of discovery. I practice it often, and wouldn’t be doing that if I didn’t agree with the teachings, you know?

Could you kill? Have you killed?

No. The preservation of life is sacred in Taoism. I would not commit such a taboo if there were any alternative, you know?

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

Hey, well, it’s a religious thing, you know?

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Perhaps if it meant trading one life for many, you know? But even then the decision is not a light one.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

Well, friend or foe, I would not be happy about such actions. Though if it were done for good reason, I’d be able to reconcile it, you know?

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I would be angry at first. But I would spend time calming myself down, before I made any attempt at finding my possessions. No reason to go running off half-cocked, you know?

How would you react to public humiliation?

Well, it is upsetting, you know? But even that pain can be alleviated with meditation.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I would mourn them. If there were mysterious circumstances, I’d make sure I was calm and level headed before I tried getting to the bottom of them.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Betrayal, you know? Read the Bible, or any other holy text. Dante’s Inferno, even. They all agree that this is the harshest crime on can commit. And, well, I agree, you know?

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I would be meditating. I do not need to rush around doing things I’ve always wanted to do. My time would be better served making peace with myself before I passed, you know?

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I was trained in Martial Arts at the Temple. The discipline helped me to master my powers on my own, but I never actually received training for them, you know?

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

The monks were my teachers in a great many things. The greatest thing they taught me is the outlook that allows me to do this hero work.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Well, I wouldn’t say I have more than the usual amount of strange skills as far as heroes are concerned, you know?

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I do. I’m a chemist, like my father was. I’m paid mainly for my research on pharmaceuticals and other things.

What is your preferred combat style?

A balanced, centered style. Though I’m capable of switching to a highly offensive style, or a highly defensive style, I prefer the flexibility of being balanced to begin with, you know?

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

I have placed in a few martial arts tournaments here and there, but no. I haven’t received any honors besides the mundane, you know?

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Besides martial arts, and my scientific knowledge, I have few life skills. Any of them would be good to work on. Hey, maybe I’ll learn to cook, you know?

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I am always willing to learn from those more knowledgeable. Though I may long to have what they do, I will always do my best to refrain from acting in jealousy. It never gets you anywhere, you know?

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I usually wake, meditate, and then eat. If I need to go out that day, I would then shower, dress, and spend any extra time before I need to leave in meditation. If I don’t spend a long time readying myself for the day ahead, I simply do not feel right that day. I feel “offâ€, you know?

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I have a few things that I spend time on, like a Zen garden, you know? Well, I learned them at the Temple like so many other things.

What do you do for fun?

I read, or listen to music quietly, and meditate on it. My favorite subjects to read are philosophy and writings on religious outlooks or beliefs. Part of knowing how you view yourself and the world is seeing others see it as well.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I do. I recently started using a liquid metal alloy to cover my features. I can hold it in place with a minimal amount of my power and it’s flexible enough that I can move, you know? I also have a solid steel mask I wear over my face to hide my face. There is nothing covering my hands, feet, neck, or the top of my head, though.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

I prefer nicer clothes like button down shirts and such. I find it difficult to get out of the habit of wearing baggy pants. It is a little outdated of a style, but I enjoy the way they fit and how they look on me, you know?

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Hey, well, not much, you know? Some shorts or something, maybe.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I have plenty of jewelry. I wear rings, necklaces, and a bracelet or two. They all have symbols on them and they are all important one way or another, but they are personal meanings. I’m not sure any of them would make sense to you, you know?

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I’ve created my own little lock box by taking a piece of steel and just enclosing it around my things. A safe becomes more difficult to open if there is no door, you know?

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

For mundane travel, I have a motorcycle. There is a company from Chongqing that makes it actually. It is an (HS150-11). For travel in costume, I just fly, you know?

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I do not have much in the way of possessions or anyone to leave them to, you know? Well, I could give them to the monks at the temple, but they would have no need of my material possessions.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Yes, I have many tattoos that would serve.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

It’d be nice to have people remember me for calmly contributing my skills toward making things better. Not just another hero busting heads, but one taking a cool methodical approach to helping people.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Hey, now way. It’s not like I can’t control my powers or anything, you know?

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

I’d say my best asset is my ability to stay level headed. You can’t win a fight if you can’t think straight, you know?

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

It could be that my failure to be emotionally involved could be considered a weakness, you know?

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Being calm, cool, and composed works wonders. But sometimes you have to know when to let yourself go. Cut loose and have some real fun once in a while. It won’t kill you.

Main Themes

Zaephyr Skies' Theme - Luca Turilli; It's metal! It's also the exact type of soothing feeling that Ferros' attitude and personality is meant to capture.

Katamari Stars - Exactly the type of relaxing atmosphere I want this character to stand for.

Combat Themes

Ten wo Tsuke - Gurren Lagann OST; It's upbeat, and has a certain "Artsy" feel in the violin bits that does a good job of conveying the fluidity with which I imagine Ferros' Martial Arts flows. Perhaps best for a triumphant moment or turning point in the fight.