Help Improving Build for Gabriel

So. I've been sitting and thinking that Gabriel could use something of an overhaul. It's a nagging feeling, but it seems like he's got some "fat" that could use trimmed. But I can't easily see how to do it without totally rearranging his powers. I'll hit each area on the sheet and my general thoughts.

Abilities: Charisma's not going down at all, since that's kind of his "defining stat". I suppose I could move 2 points from Con to Str, to represent a more balanced workout schedule and such. Some defensive roll could compensate. Not a whole lot can be done here, though.

Combat: Maybe trim his Base Attack down to 8? That's the only big thing that comes to mind; in my head, he's got to be decent if it falls to fisticuffs. Same general idea applies to Defense, though I guess I could be a bit freer there.

Saving Throws: I pretty well like these where they are, though Will being a point or so higher wouldn't hurt; his mind is his strongest defense here, but he's not slow or sickly by any means.

Skills: I kind of want to try to keep the "Big 4" social skills where they are, at 10 ranks; I'm intentionally putting a lot of weight on his Charisma, but even without his powers, that's a +15 bonus, which is nothing to sneeze at.

The Arcane Lore and Theology & Philosophy need to stay where they are. I'm not as sure about the other 2, especially since his Well-Informed can sub his Gather Info for Streetwise when it comes to reps (which seems like the big thing here). On the flip side, I dunno, it feels like it makes sense for him to have some sense of "the street". Pop culture is him having been involved in the creative arts, and thus exposed to pop culture new and old.

Notice seems like an important skill I'd rather not ditch

The Performs...okay, these generally don't matter, but they're background fluff. I'd really hate to trim them too much. And they've been handy once or twice (take that, Doctor Otaku!).

Sense Motive...hm. I know you can counter Bluff with Bluff an all, but it still seems right that he have this one. If anything, I'd like to pump it up a bit.

Sleight of Hand...this one might go bye bye. I bought it thinking it'd represent him using it in plays, but it's never really been handy, or even used, so I'm really torn on it.

Feats: Attractive is the only one I'm unsure on. The others help support how I think his skills should aid him, help save points, or just help him do things more smoothly. Luck's critical for Stunting off his nice big array.

Powers: This is where I feel like I could be doing things better. His Blast, Drain Toughness, and Flight are good as is (though, I dunno, I might have Flight go down a point or two, considering how high it is right now).

He hasn't used Emotion Control a lot, but he's used it, and it's proven handy a couple of times.

Communication...as much as I love the concept of "he can talk to everyone in the world", it's really inefficient in a lot of ways. I mean, he can't properly communicate with everyone in the world right now. As explored in this thread, I'd love to find a way to allow him to selectively communicate with anyone and everyone in his Communication radius, being able to speak to and listen to them, as well as understanding him. I don't want him pulling a Superman and listening in to every disaster in the world; my goal is speech of some sort (sorry deaf people and mute people!), so I'd like it to be where he doesn't pick up anything but voices. And no need for him to be able to listen to secret conversations. Connected to that, I'm thinking it might be good to crank his radius down to "the whole country", or maybe just "the whole state" or so; I like the idea of it being more than just "the whole city", but "the whole world" might be a bit much for now.

Then of course there's his Dazzle, Paralyze, Ranged Paralyze, and Nauseate. He's used the Dazzle a couple of times, but the others have been used maybe twice or less. They're just sitting there. On the one hand, fluff-wise, it makes sense for him to have a "stun" setting or some such. But realistically, it's wasted space in the array.

I want to find some other way of incorporating non-Toughness Saves into his Array (technically Drain Toughness is a non-Toughness save, but it's not exactly what I'm after here). But I don't know a.)what powers fit thematically, or b.)what powers fit effectiveness-wise. I'd like to be both thematic and effective, you know?

By the by, this is why I have Luck 4 (which we can call a combination of "luck of the Irish" and "divine favor" ;) ); so he can stunt powers often.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

I cant say all this is min/maxing or optimising, but rather "rationalising" - so feel free to ignore on that basis.

My thoughts:

1. Drop Attractive. Put into diplomacy instead. That sounds more like Gabriel.

2. Drop 2 or 3 perform feats. But Beginners luck - so on the odd chance he needs more than 1 he can at least flip of an HP to get 5 ranks in it (and of course additional benefit of grabbing 5 ranks in any skill under 5!)

3. I would strongly consider getting uncanny dodge (auditory), as flat footed he will lose defensive roll bonus.

4. Perhaps think about trimming of Gather information, Well Informed, Connected? not sure he seems very detective like (and beginners luck and luck feats could fudge that if need be). Similarly some knowledge skills could be trimmed perhaps.

5. This is more rationalisation, but I think powers like Nauseate could be ranged and sense dependent (auditory). It is true this gives an additional reflex roll to avoid, but on the other hand it does seem more Gabriel-like being sound dependent and now ranged.

6. On a technical note, I am surprised that Drain Toughness #(living objects) and Drain Toughness (inanimate objects) are allowed to be in the same array! Cheap way of avoiding the extra +1 Inanimate objects!

7. Possibly some powers (including new ones) could be no range and burst / cone area? (eg a sonic blast AP like that, or make auditory dazzle no range, cone area and selective).

8. Maybe shave off some points of things like INT or DEX, maybe boost up WIS slightly?

9, If you can manage to get more of your attacks ranged, drop base attack and buy more ranks of Ranged attack focus.

10. Or, drop attack bonus even more, and buy accurate feat for your sonic array.

Just a few thoughts. As above, more emphasis on rationalisation than optimisation, but it may help trim a little.

So. I've been sitting and thinking that Gabriel could use something of an overhaul. It's a nagging feeling, but it seems like he's got some "fat" that could use trimmed. But I can't easily see how to do it without totally rearranging his powers. I'll hit each area on the sheet and my general thoughts.

Abilities: Charisma's not going down at all, since that's kind of his "defining stat". I suppose I could move 2 points from Con to Str, to represent a more balanced workout schedule and such. Some defensive roll could compensate. Not a whole lot can be done here, though.

Actually, Constitution is the most optimal stat, adding +1 Toughness [1PP], +1 Fortitude [1PP] and +1 Recovery Rate [1PP] for 2 Con [2PP]. Strength... it's not unoptimal, but it's not necessary for someone whose superpower is shouting like Brian Blessed.

That said, thematically, it makes sense.

Combat: Maybe trim his Base Attack down to 8? That's the only big thing that comes to mind; in my head, he's got to be decent if it falls to fisticuffs. Same general idea applies to Defense, though I guess I could be a bit freer there.

You seem to have a decent idea of what you're doing here.

Saving Throws: I pretty well like these where they are, though Will being a point or so higher wouldn't hurt; his mind is his strongest defense here, but he's not slow or sickly by any means.

Yeah, it's best to keep a theme. Two decent saves and one big damn awesome save seems like a good approach, and he's got solid defence overall.

Skills: The Arcane Lore and Theology & Philosophy need to stay where they are. I'm not as sure about the other 2, especially since his Well-Informed can sub his Gather Info for Streetwise when it comes to reps (which seems like the big thing here).

Not necessarily. If it's on the Knowledge (Streetwise) list, he won't get it with Well Informed, which is Gather Information as a reaction.

Sleight of Hand...this one might go bye bye. I bought it thinking it'd represent him using it in plays, but it's never really been handy, or even used, so I'm really torn on it.
Beginner's Luck?

Feats: Attractive is the only one I'm unsure on. The others help support how I think his skills should aid him, help save points, or just help him do things more smoothly. Luck's critical for Stunting off his nice big array.

I agree with Supercape on this one. It's perfectly justifiable to have Attractive on a PC who sucks at diplomacising their gender compared to diplomacising the opposite. Gabriel is not one of those people, really.