Poltergeist--PL 11--Jack of Tales

1. I'd like to keep deflect seperate because from what I understand I wouldn't be able to use it while using other darkness powers. However, I will move snare in and move points into saves. Do you suggest I put points into Con to increase both Fort/Toughness or increase the Def. Roll instead and Fort seperately?

Con would be a better purchase. Not only does it increase Toughness and Fort, but there are some things, like holding your breath, which are determined off of your Con.

2. It's only 2 pp/rank to avoid all ranged. 1 pp for a particular type and 3 for ranged/mental.

Yes, in the main book. However, in UP, that is increased to 3 for all ranged (Slow/Fast projectiles, and energy blasts/beams) You cannot deflect perception range powers, which leaves out most unmodified mental powers.

3. Attack is a +0 modifier.

I'm not sure what that means.

Question on saves and on Drain:

1) The max base you can have is equal to the power level or is it the total bonus for the save?

2) Since I have drain linked to snare can I put it in the array also or must it remain outside?

1) The max save total you can have is PL +5. This includes your ability bonuses, so the maximum amount you can have is 15 in any save.

2) It has to be outside. Only one array power, unless the array is dynamic, can be active at one time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I'd like to keep deflect seperate because from what I understand I wouldn't be able to use it while using other darkness powers. However, I will move snare in and move points into saves. Do you suggest I put points into Con to increase both Fort/Toughness or increase the Def. Roll instead and Fort seperately?

Con would be a better purchase. Not only does it increase Toughness and Fort, but there are some things, like holding your breath, which are determined off of your Con.

2. It's only 2 pp/rank to avoid all ranged. 1 pp for a particular type and 3 for ranged/mental.

Yes, in the main book. However, in UP, that is increased to 3 for all ranged (Slow/Fast projectiles, and energy blasts/beams) You cannot deflect perception range powers, which leaves out most unmodified mental powers.

I'm not sure what that means.

Question on saves and on Drain:

1) The max base you can have is equal to the power level or is it the total bonus for the save?

2) Since I have drain linked to snare can I put it in the array also or must it remain outside?

1) The max save total you can have is PL +5. This includes your ability bonuses, so the maximum amount you can have is 15 in any save.

2) It has to be outside. Only one array power, unless the array is dynamic, can be active at one time.

That makes sense; you create the darkness that lets your deflect work. As for how to boost your saves, it depends on your concept. Keep in mind that Defensive Roll doesn't provide a bonus to toughness when you are flat-footed (the first round of combat before you act), surprised, or otherwise denied your dodge bonus to defense or unable to take a free action. Given that, I'd probably go with increasing my Con unless it really just "broke" the concept.

Mind you I don't have ultimate power so all of this is from the 2nd edition M&M.

That's the problem (one of them anyway). I should have caught that sooner. In UP Deflect costs 1 PP per type of attacked blocked (Slow Projectiles, Fast Projectiles, and Energy Attacks), so all ranged attacks costs 3 PPs/Rank.

And you are correct. Configured they way you have it, Attack is a +0 extra. It's only a +1 Extra (according to UP) if you want to be able to use it on yourself and your opponent at the same time. I confuse easily. :oops: Remember though, as an attack, Teleport requires a successfully melee attack. You may want to consider boosting your melee attack score if you plan to use this frequently.

Also . . .

Attack: +6 / + 14 (blast); Damage: Blast +11, Strike +11, Drain (Fort DC 17)

At PL 10 your Attack Bonus, Damage Bonus, Defense Bonus, and Toughness Saves are capped at PL 10, but you can trade-off Attack Bonus with Damage Bonus and you can trade-off your Defense Bonus with Toughness Save.

So if your Attack Bonus is +14 then you can only have a Damage Bonus of +6 (trading +4 from one to the other). Likewise if your Defense is +11 then your Toughness Save is capped at +9. Trade-offs are fully explained in the core book on pages 24-25.

That makes sense; you create the darkness that lets your deflect work. As for how to boost your saves, it depends on your concept. Keep in mind that Defensive Roll doesn't provide a bonus to toughness when you are flat-footed (the first round of combat before you act), surprised, or otherwise denied your dodge bonus to defense or unable to take a free action. Given that, I'd probably go with increasing my Con unless it really just "broke" the concept.

Mind you I don't have ultimate power so all of this is from the 2nd edition M&M.

That's the problem (one of them anyway). I should have caught that sooner. In UP Deflect costs 1 PP per type of attacked blocked (Slow Projectiles, Fast Projectiles, and Energy Attacks), so all ranged attacks costs 3 PPs/Rank.

And you are correct. Configured they way you have it, Attack is a +0 extra. It's only a +1 Extra (according to UP) if you want to be able to use it on yourself and your opponent at the same time. I confuse easily. :oops: Remember though, as an attack, Teleport requires a successfully melee attack. You may want to consider boosting your melee attack score if you plan to use this frequently.

Also . . .

At PL 10 your Attack Bonus, Damage Bonus, Defense Bonus, and Toughness Saves are capped at PL 10, but you can trade-off Attack Bonus with Damage Bonus and you can trade-off your Defense Bonus with Toughness Save.

So if your Attack Bonus is +14 then you can only have a Damage Bonus of +6 (trading +4 from one to the other). Likewise if your Defense is +11 then your Toughness Save is capped at +9. Trade-offs are fully explained in the core book on pages 24-25.

Also . . .

I used the trade-off to give myself +11 attack max and a +9 toughness max.

Also, I decreased the attack spec. feat to decrease the +14 to the max of +10. Decreased skill points and Charisma in order to bring Deflect back out of array.

Reduced Deflect to 5 ranks so that I'd be covered.

Everything should now be more balanced and better able to fight at the PL 10 level, I hope.

Also, I decreased the attack spec. feat to decrease the +14 to the max of +10. Decreased skill points and Charisma in order to bring Deflect back out of array.

Everything should now be more balanced and better able to fight at the PL 10 level, I hope.

Costs: Abilities (19) + Combat (22) + Saves (10) + Skills (20) + Feats (9) + Powers (76) - Drawbacks (1) = Total Cost 150

Stats: (24pp)

Str: 10 (+0)

Dex: 20 (+5)

Con: 20 (+5)

Int: 10 (+0)

Wis: 10 (+0)

Cha: 12 (+1)

1. Your abilities total 22 but you have them listed as 24 up top and 19 down at the bottom of your sheet.

Feats: (10pp)

Acrobatic Roll (1pp)

Dodge Focus 5 (5pp)

Attack Specialization (Blast) 2 (2pp)

Attack specialization (Strike) 1 (1pp)

Defensive Roll 4 (4pp)

2. You have 13 feats, but you only list 10 PPs here and 9 at the bottom of the sheet.

3. Is Acrobatic Roll supposed to be Acrobatic Bluff?

Deflect R:5 [Deflect all ranged] (3 PP/Rank = 15 PP)

EX: Ranged (+1), Reflection (+1) (+2)

4. This is 25 PPs (5 PPs/Rank x 5 ranks)

Blast R:11 [shadow Whips](2 PP/Rank + 2 PP = 24 PP)

PF: Indirect 2(2pp)

FL: Limited: Can only use in complete darkness(-1)

5. This really only costs 13 PPs: Blast is 2 PPs/rank -1 for the limitation = 11 PPs +2 Power Feats = 13 PPs. Also, since you have no trade-off with your attack/save DC, your damage is capped at +10 (since your Blast attack bonus is 10).

Costs: Abilities (19) + Combat (22) + Saves (10) + Skills (20) + Feats (9) + Powers (76) - Drawbacks (1) = Total Cost 150

1. Your abilities total 22 but you have them listed as 24 up top and 19 down at the bottom of your sheet.

Acrobatic Roll (1pp)

Dodge Focus 5 (5pp)

Defensive Roll 4 (4pp)

2. You have 13 feats, but you only list 10 PPs here and 9 at the bottom of the sheet.

5. This really only costs 13 PPs: Blast is 2 PPs/rank -1 for the limitation = 11 PPs +2 Power Feats = 13 PPs. Also, since you have no trade-off with your attack/save DC, your damage is capped at +10 (since your Blast attack bonus is 10).

Acrobatic Roll (1pp)

Dodge Focus 5 (5pp)

Defensive Roll 4 (4pp)

1. &2. Kept forgetting to update costs at bottom Changed that.

3. Yes, changed it to the right name.

4. Forgot to move the [limited] for Deflect when I switched ti back out of the array. And it is only 3 pp/rank: 2pp for all ranged attacks excluding mental +1 reflection +1 ranged -1 Limited = 3.

5. I decided to trade off 1 toughness for 1 attack damage. And the limitation was intended for deflect, I just forgot to move it also. Blast should be corrected now.

4. Forgot to move the [limited] for Deflect when I switched ti back out of the array. And it is only 3 pp/rank: 2pp for all ranged attacks excluding mental +1 reflection +1 ranged -1 Limited = 3.

5. I decided to trade off 1 toughness for 1 attack damage. And the limitation was intended for deflect, I just forgot to move it also. Blast should be corrected now.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer in my last post. :oops: Deflect (according to UP which we are using) costs 1 PP per type of attack deflected, and there are three choices: 1) Slow Projectiles, 2) Fast Projectiles, and 3) Energy Attacks. Deflecting mental attacks is no longer an option with the standard Deflect power, and being able to deflect all ranged attacks (slow, fast, and energy) costs 3 PPs/rank.

Okay, then could I do that? I think the only save at PL is Ref so I can move a point from there into something that boosts my toughness up to 10.

You could buy 1 rank of Protection to give you a +1 bonus to Toughness or buy another rank of Defensive Roll.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer in my last post. :oops: Deflect (according to UP which we are using) costs 1 PP per type of attack deflected, and there are three choices: 1) Slow Projectiles, 2) Fast Projectiles, and 3) Energy Attacks. Deflecting mental attacks is no longer an option with the standard Deflect power, and being able to deflect all ranged attacks (slow, fast, and energy) costs 3 PPs/rank.

Okay, then could I do that? I think the only save at PL is Ref so I can move a point from there into something that boosts my toughness up to 10.

You could buy 1 rank of Protection to give you a +1 bonus to Toughness or buy another rank of Defensive Roll.