Deja Vu

Barnum

Nighrival and Grim watched the street below from their high perch. The wind was fierce and the air was bitterly cold, but Kings men toiled away in the alley, loading up the truck. The full moon and a tired old streetlamp was their only light.

After a few more minutes of toil, Kings men - there were a dozen that they could see - piled into the old delivery truck and a few cars and headed out. This was, no doubt, an emergency "shipment," and finding out where it was headed was far more valuable that knowing what was in the crates. This could be the big break in Kings drug enterprise that Nightrival was waiting for.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nighrival and Grim watched the street below from their high perch. The wind was fierce and the air was bitterly cold, but Kings men toiled away in the alley, loading up the truck. The full moon and a tired old streetlamp was their only light.

After a few more minutes of toil, Kings men - there were a dozen that they could see - piled into the old delivery truck and a few cars and headed out. This was, no doubt, an emergency "shipment," and finding out where it was headed was far more valuable that knowing what was in the crates. This could be the big break in Kings drug enterprise that Nightrival was waiting for.

The mooks looked cold, and Grim almost pitied them; ever since she woke up naked in that alley a little over a year ago, she never got cold anymore. If she was just being herself, she had to remember to shiver occasionally, rub her hands and complain like everybody else. But nights like this she was glad she didn't feel the cold; judging from their movements, the goons were really feeling the chill, something she might be able to use to her advantage in a fight.

Grim looked up at the taller, more experienced crimefighter perched beside her.

"So how'dya wanna play it, Bossman?"

The mooks looked cold, and Grim almost pitied them; ever since she woke up naked in that alley a little over a year ago, she never got cold anymore. If she was just being herself, she had to remember to shiver occasionally, rub her hands and complain like everybody else. But nights like this she was glad she didn't feel the cold; judging from their movements, the goons were really feeling the chill, something she might be able to use to her advantage in a fight.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Good question." Nightrival exhales a thick frosty cloud from under his mask.

He grinds his teeth. Not from the cold wind biting through his costume, but from his shoulders tensing until they feel like solid steel plates under his skin. He hates the men below. He hates how they spread misery and death throughout his neighbourhood. He hates how they amass a profit from their disgusting trade. Tonight, he aches to knock the legs from under their entire operation.

Word on the street is that King, some big shot downtown, is moving product out of the neighbourhood. Nightrival has only heard the name in rumours circulating among the hoods who lurk his streets at night. He thought at first that King was a shadowy mobster until he saw King's picture in The Daily Word's society pages, attending a highbrow event at the Midnight Society with his granddaughter. He read the article on a bus ride to work, and nearly shouted in public when he saw the picture.

Nightrival examines their environment: fire escapes, dumpsters and window ledges. He quickly calculates an approach, taking the wind into account. The brick buildings, rooftops and fire escapes hardly fail him, as though they were built for him.

It's times like these when I wish I hadda utility belt.

"We gotta find out where that shipment's goin'. I say we hitch a ride," he whispers with a wink.

NightrivalHS.jpg

He grinds his teeth. Not from the cold wind biting through his costume, but from his shoulders tensing until they feel like solid steel plates under his skin. He hates the men below. He hates how they spread misery and death throughout his neighbourhood. He hates how they amass a profit from their disgusting trade. Tonight, he aches to knock the legs from under their entire operation.

Word on the street is that King, some big shot downtown, is moving product out of the neighbourhood. Nightrival has only heard the name in rumours circulating among the hoods who lurk his streets at night. He thought at first that King was a shadowy mobster until he saw King's picture in The Daily Word's society pages, attending a highbrow event at the Midnight Society with his granddaughter. He read the article on a bus ride to work, and nearly shouted in public when he saw the picture.

Nightrival examines their environment: fire escapes, dumpsters and window ledges. He quickly calculates an approach, taking the wind into account. The brick buildings, rooftops and fire escapes hardly fail him, as though they were built for him.

"We gotta find out where that shipment's goin'. I say we hitch a ride," he whispers with a wink.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Grim smiles and nods her head sharply.

"That is exactly what I was thinking; see, I'm learning stuff all the time."

She fades to a mere blur in the night air and quickly makes her way down the wall and quietly moves to the truck, where she waits.

She fades to a mere blur in the night air and quickly makes her way down the wall and quietly moves to the truck, where she waits.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival watches Grim descend to the ground. She's learnin' fast and gettin' confident. I think she might be the right choice for the project. Once she hits the bottom, Nightrival braces himself. Now let's do this thing.

He springs off the ledge, grabs the rail on a fire escape just below him and propels himself off the rail to land safely on the pavement, close to Grim's location. Nightrival constantly shifts his weight away from his feet and hands to ensure he remains silent.

"Let's go," he whispers.

Crouching behind the idling truck, Nightrival slithers toward it and clambers up onto the trailer, resembling a giant black spider inching closer to its unsuspecting prey.

NightrivalHS.jpg

Nightrival watches Grim descend to the ground. She's learnin' fast and gettin' confident. I think she might be the right choice for the project. Once she hits the bottom, Nightrival braces himself. Now let's do this thing.

He springs off the ledge, grabs the rail on a fire escape just below him and propels himself off the rail to land safely on the pavement, close to Grim's location. Nightrival constantly shifts his weight away from his feet and hands to ensure he remains silent.

"Let's go," he whispers.

Crouching behind the idling truck, Nightrival slithers toward it and clambers up onto the trailer, resembling a giant black spider inching closer to its unsuspecting prey.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"Let's go," he whispers.

"Let's go," he whispers.

Grim nods out of force of habit, even though her mentor can't possibly see it. As quietly as possible she follows him, her claws making the slightest scratching noises as she does her best to find purchase for them; even though their not very loud, to her each scrape is deafening in its audibility. When she reaches the top, she gently lays a hand on his back to let him know she's there and okay, something she's been doing since the first night they worked together.

"Let's go," he whispers.

Grim nods out of force of habit, even though her mentor can't possibly see it. As quietly as possible she follows him, her claws making the slightest scratching noises as she does her best to find purchase for them; even though their not very loud, to her each scrape is deafening in its audibility. When she reaches the top, she gently lays a hand on his back to let him know she's there and okay, something she's been doing since the first night they worked together.

"Let's go," he whispers.

The two sedans led the way and the truck trailed behind with its two unofficial passengers hanging on. The small convoy kept to the back streets, so the journey to the other end of Southside took some time. By the time they had neared the end of their journey Shadowboxer and Grim had been brutally battered by the cold and wind.

The truck began to slow, and Shadowboxer recognized that they had entered an nearly abandoned warehouse district near Route 4. They were obviously getting near their destination.

The two sedans led the way and the truck trailed behind with its two unofficial passengers hanging on. The small convoy kept to the back streets, so the journey to the other end of Southside took some time. By the time they had neared the end of their journey Shadowboxer and Grim had been brutally battered by the cold and wind.

The truck began to slow, and Shadowboxer recognized that they had entered an nearly abandoned warehouse district near Route 4. They were obviously getting near their destination.

Now Grim felt bad for Nightrival; sure, the wind in her face was very unpleasant, driving a fine spray of salt and grit into eyes, nose and mouth, but the cold which had no affect on her must be cutting though her mentor's suit like it wasn't even there. When at last they started to slow down, she unconsciously patted his shoulder with a comforting, chameleonic hand before she leaned in to speak right into his ear; she did her best to pitch her voice at a loud whisper that would (hopefully) not be heard over the noise of the engine.

"You want me to scope out the joint first and report back?"

Now Grim felt bad for Nightrival; sure, the wind in her face was very unpleasant, driving a fine spray of salt and grit into eyes, nose and mouth, but the cold which had no affect on her must be cutting though her mentor's suit like it wasn't even there. When at last they started to slow down, she unconsciously patted his shoulder with a comforting, chameleonic hand before she leaned in to speak right into his ear; she did her best to pitch her voice at a loud whisper that would (hopefully) not be heard over the noise of the engine.

NightrivalHS.jpg

This . . . this kinda sucks.

Nightrival keeps his face firmly planted againt the truck's trailer to avoid getting pelted by the minute debris flying up from the street. Yet, he is still able to cling to the edges of the truck with tense fingers. The wind cuts past his costume, gripping his bones with icy claws. He grinds his teeth to fight back his uncontrollable shivering, but relaxes when he feels Grim's hand on his shoulder.

He turns his head slightly to address her. "Sounds like a plan," murmurs Nightrival. "I doubt I'll be able ta see anythin' after this ride."