Cats Paw (IC)

"Well, that's a grand step for art preservation!" commented Lord Steam at the sight of the regenerating Jade Lion.

And a giant leap backwards for us... he added.

Undaunted, he considered the situation. It was no good attacking the lion if Nates could just pull it back together with a few choice Mandarin phrases from that book. Time to take that part of the puzzle out of the equation.

It wasn't part of his Baritsu training, but his days playing Rugby came back to him. He took two steps back, crouched, and launched himself at Nates midrif, trying to wrestle the man.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nates quickly ducked Lockwood switching pages to try and reanimate the cat which didn't go unnoticed by Carrie who though a little shocked by the sudden regeneration didn't miss a beat to try and land a hit on Nates. Unfortunately, the security guard was wise to this and promptly switch places taking the kick head on and being knocked on his but while Nate started to chant the spell again though showing some signs of fatigue as he did so.

"Not that jibber jabber again" sighed Steam, fully aware that Nates chanting seemed to be able to control the Jade Lion completely. It was all hocus pocus as far as he was concerned, but deadly hocus pocus nonetheless.

His body would be black and blue tomorrow, and he knew it, but there was life in it yet, he stepped up Nates and grabbed his wrists, hoping to wrestle the man to the floor. Hopefully the man was more of an academic than athlete...

Nates tossled with Lockwood once more and pulled fiercely to keep the text but was overpowered by the much more athletic man. Carrie herself decided to finish off the security guard taking a fist to his temple before he could think to counter attack and knocking him out. Than in a smooth movement she took a fist and rammed it into the stomach of the now bookless Nates with a smile,

"You know, maybe weapons aren't your thing, you ever considered taking up kickboxing?"

Steam was taking no chances with Nates. The man was slippery, but he was stronger and, he fancied, more skilled. Baritsu covered enough moves in wrestling as well as kicks, punches, and cane-fighting to make him more than capable.

He slid his arms under and around Nates, who was winded anyway, and tightened his grip on the man.

"You are under arrest!" he proclaimed, looking up at Carrie. "You do say that in this dimension, don't you?" he asked.

"A citizen's arrest to be exact."

Carrie let out a sigh as she began to stretch out. She was banged up but nothing as bad as being shot by the psycho in high heels.

"There might be some litigation about the methods, but there are plenty of things in this basment besides the cat that can put him away at least for a few months. As for the book, that we'll hand over to the Freedom League, since it seems the cat's harmless without it they can investigate it's origins without it."

Cracking her neck slightly she reached into her pockets and pulled out some zip strips which she used to bind the arms and legs of the security guards before they came too. Than herself headed up the stairs.

"Got some calls to make,"

Also, the dress, she was definitely not leaving behind the dress it was too nice to leave in this psycho's house.

"A citizens arrest is it?" replied Steam. "Why, we have almost the same thing back home..." he commented, tightening the bonds around Nate.

"Shame about the lion. It really is rather a spiffing piece of art. Should be on display, but now its a deadly weapon..." he sighed. It really was a rather poor show.

He picked up the book. Mandarin... must learn that some time...

"Can't understand this at all. But we should probably get it to somebody who can. See what other mumbo-jumbo hocus-pocus in it, I suppose..." he tucked in under his arm.

"I doubt our friend here is going to spill the beans on its mysteries" he said, picking up his cane and hat and dusting them both off.

"But job well done. This calls for a glass of champagne. Maybe a bottle!"

Carrie poked her head out from the stairwell,

"Well, we're probably just killing this party by making it a crime scene, but I could use a drink myself. After you talk to the cops of course, if you smell like alcohol they are far less likely to take you seriously no matter what diplomatic advantages you may have. Also, I was never here, my involvement is strictly a need to know basis, and they don't need to know."

Walking past, she found the switch and opened the stairwell back into the study before disappearing and reappearing in the unoccupied bathroom.

After a few calls, the cops did come around but they were a little shocked by the find. They had a ton of questions about it, but dispite Nates objections there was plenty of things down in that room to get him in cuffs and into the back of a squad car. Carrie made herself scarce, as only she could and only reappeared by Lockwood when the last cop had finished talking. She was back in the dress carrying a flute of champagne and not at all looking like someone who took down several trained men with help, and than a living stone statue single handedly.

"So Lord Lockwood, what did you think of the party?"

Lord Steam poured Carrie a glass of Chamagne, and then helped himself one.

His body was bruised and ached, but surprisingly, for once, he hadn't spilt any blood this time. No broken bones or ribs, and no blood to clean of his suit. Things where definitely looking up.

He clinked glasses with Carrie.

"Rather good" he replied. "And you weren't too bad yourself. I'll have to send a report to M on you... clearly an asset in any dimension. Consider yourself hired!" he smiled.

He took a sup of Champagne. "Rather good refreshments too" he commented. "A little alcohol will help soothe my aches and pains. Although I shall no doubt partake of the apothecaries store tonight too".

"You can tell M I'm available day and night if the price is right,"

She took a long drink and let out a sigh,

"Sorry about the cigerette, they did sound nice but I just get god awful cravings whenever I smell cigerette smoke. It took me two years to kick the stuff so you probably shouldn't tried to tempt me, I may have to kill you and that would be such a shame."

She let out a half chuckle at the thought as she took another sip. Her voice had no hint of threat in those words, just something light and playful that had been absent in the short time Lockwood had seen her.

Steam generously took his hand away from his jacket pocket, where it was reaching for his cigarillo case. No reason to torture the girl still further. He would have a quiet smoke later, along with a glass of brandy, a hot bath, and some ice packs.

At least she seemed to be a bit more cheery than her normal grumpy self.

"I am sure there are a few gold sovereigns in it for you" he replied "and on that matter, I can certainly put you on the books for a few coins myself" he added. "You do seem to have an uncanny knack for sneaking around, and sniffing out trouble. Well, running into trouble one might say. But that's my job".

He shuffled his feet slightly and examined his cane head.

"Well, its not actually me Job, but official diplomat has a rather wide remit, don't you know. And it's the job of a Gentleman of my talents. So lets just call it my job and leave it that, hmmm?"

She let out another long chuckle,

"Hehe, official diplomat sounds like your 'job',"

She held up air quotations,

"But your career is almost certianly professional trouble finder. Which is a good thing because of how good you are at it."

She took her glass and took another drink before taking her free hand and absently messing with her hair,

"What would a book say about me if you were to put me in there, Caroline Wendle, professional sneak."

She started to chuckle again.

"My card" said Steam, passing her a card and joining in her chuckle. "And allow me to do the honour of producing a few for you with that title..." he added.

Lord Lucien Lockwood

Official Dimensional Ambassador to Earth Americana

By Royal appointment, his majesty hereby requests and requires all due assistance to be given from goverments of alternate dimensions to above party and/or his representatives. Long live the King.

He took another swig of Champagne, feeling rather jolly now despite his bruises.

"Well, I don't mind seeing off the end of the party. Maybe a song and a dance. But in any case, let me give you a drive home in Bessie."

Carrie took the card and pulled out her mini rolodex from her purse. Flipping through it pretty quickly she slipped it in the L section before putting it away and finishing her champagne while listening to his proposal. It was a few seconds later that she burst out laughing, it probably wasn't he would see but she wonder if him driving into her neighborhood with his steam machine would make more than a few club hoppers and steamers double take and doubt their sight. When the laughter stopped she gave him a smile,

"Sure, sure, I was counting on you to be my ride anyway. Just don't be shocked if we pass a couple of shady folks on the way there, it's not a very good neighborhood."