Cats Paw (IC)

The man seemed genuine enough, and was also correct in thas his replacement needed to be considered and questioned. Lord Steam nodded and tapped his chin with his cane.

"Well, Sir" he started "I am investigating the matter. I am sure you are a decent fellow, not wrapped up in any serious misadventure. Your assistance is greatly appreciated, of course. Please, I implore you to think back to the events at hand. Has anything struck you as strange? suspicious? Have you met anyone recently who might be implicated?"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy looked at Lockwood again and gave another shrug,

"I just know the people I work with, outside of that no one I know has a clue about this sort of thing. Anyway, I still have a bit of a headache, so if you could please."

"Don't worry we were just leaving."

The sudden appearance of Carrie in the now open doorway greatly startled Porter,

"How did you get here?!"

"I drove, than walked, anyway, Lockwood, we have a tight schedule, so we should get going."

"I drove, than walked, anyway, Lockwood, we have a tight schedule, so we should get going."

"Hmmm very well my dear" said Steam, with a little bow.

He turned smartly to Porter. "I trust you regain your health, Sir. A nice cold shower and smelling salts always do the trick for me. Wonders for the constitution!" he said with a civil smile. He even drew out a small tin of said salts and placed it on the man's table. "A little present for you, so that you may more speedily regain your vigour. Until next time, Sir, I bid you farewell. "

He gave a rather extravagant bow to the man as he backfooted out of the building.

As he walked back to the mini-cooper, he whispered to Carrie. "Find anything?"

She followed quietly and left the man to his day, as they got to the car,

"A check, he was paid fifty grand to miss work by some guy named Steven Nates, I can't blame him, most people would do it for free. Anyway, got the account numbers, and I'm assuming you haven't gotten a phone yet, so I'm gonna need to find a pay phone to make some calls."

Parking at a small cafe, Carrie asked Lockwood to grab her a bagel while she spent about twenty minutes on the phone. When she was finally finished she held her notebook which was covered with scribbles as she sat down at the table.

"Alright, Steven Nates, age 46, paid this guy off from a business account at E-Sea, he's an advisor working at a subfirm of Rath & Stromberg in the office in North End. Couldn't pull up any police records, which suggests he has none, which happens. Got an address too, but it's a bit more tricky, he lives over in North Bay, even the houses that don't exceed two stories are incredibly expensive and incredibly secure. It's likely we can't just drive up in my cooper and ask questions like we did with Porter."

"What a shame we cant drive up in your...err...Cooper" said Lord Steam, as sincerely as possible. Inside his heart sung.

"In any case, good work, madam. I can see how a young rapscallion like yourself could come in handy in the investigative business. Steven Nates seems our next port of call. Not that Mr Porter is entirely blameless. Quite the rotter, really. "

He cracked his knuckles and continued. "Rath and Stromberg, eh? Well we should probably do a quick look at what that company involves, and what Mr. Nates is up to there. And then, forewarned and pre-armed, confront him. "

"And this time, lets use my car!"

Carrie pinched her nose, and agreed as they headed back to his place and Lockwood spent some time making calls. Though she considered his taste and eccentricities unsubtle, it didn't mean she didn't appreciate it. She spent a good bit of time just walking around his place marveling at the archetecture and classical designs. She had managed to get a full loop around the estate back to him when she saw him hang up some ancient looking telephone,

"So, what did you get?"

"Rath and Stonberg is an investment firm. Nothing suspicious there. Looks clean. Of course" he smiled "appearances can be deceptive!"

"Anyway, I pulled some strings with this chap I do business with now and again. It seems Mr Stephen Nates is having a party tonight. Which sounds a perfect opportunity for a little investigating. And guess what, we are on the guest list!"

He looked rather pleased with himself.

"Get your best clothes out, madam. Its showtime!"

"Of course he is."

She rolled her eyes slightly because of the outcome of her last party,

"Anyway Lockwood, we sort of have a problem there. My best cloths got shot all the hell at the art showing, and even if I do have more clothes I'm not gonna risk them getting all bloodied up again if a fight breaks out."

Also, I'm running out of foundation.

That last part was left unsaid. Her current clothing hid most of it well, but since she lost contact with Wesley, she had started to acculuate some scars from knife and bullet wounds on her torso, arms and legs. She had been careful to avoid any hits on her facial, neck or hands since it was harder to hide those areas with clothing.

"Not a problem, my dear!" replied Supercape, bringing out his wallet...

"I am sure we have time for a little shopping trip!" he said with a grin on his face and some high denomination notes in his hand.

"It also gives me a chance to take Bessie out for a spin" he concluded, whisking his partner into the garage of Steam Manor and into the swish leather seats of the car - not that it looked like a normal car. For one thing, it had a few too many pipes and knobs. For another, it had a whistle like a train. But most importantly, it seemed to run on steam.

After a few hours of shopping, which resulted in the purchase of a dress, some shoes that while stylish proved through some testing to be excellant for running and some make up. There was very little trouble in the whole ordeal, though Lockwood changed into his normal clothing, and his steam machine which he had affectionate named Bessie got some attention. Though it didn't get that much where they went as Lockwood insisted that they first go to a speciaty store which mimiked some of the fashion trends found from his world (as well as several others). Carrie might of pushed for an objection, but they did end up getting a dress there, a pinstriped number that while similiar, was merged with some more modern designs and gothic tastes making it lacking several petticoats or a corset. It did however have a hoop, but it was a light one that gave the dress a moderate flare.

The entire ensemble was very flattering on Carrie, though they had to get some long sleeveless gloves of the same print to cover the bandage from the bullet wound, and some dark stockings to cover the one on her leg. Overall, the gloves gave it a detached sleeve feel, and quite honestly she loved the entire ensemble. She didn't say it out loud, because honestly Lockwood was doing enough praising of it for the both of them. When she put it on, and they were going out to the party, she felt a little bad about her might having to fight in it, so she set up a precaution just in case.

When they got to the party, a few people had already arrived, but it wasn't in full swing. It was something of a garden party since the weather had finally warmed up enough for people to enjoy being outside. Carrie was on Lockwoods arm as before, mostly silent as they moved in before she got a quick whisper in his ear,

"Hey, do you know what this guy looks like?"

Lord Steam surreptitiously passed Carrie a small photo of the man. "Chap I know got this for me. Used this fancy 'web' thing I keep hearing about. "

He moved through the crowd, nodding this way and that and even engaging in small talk about business with the men, and about charming clothes and beauty to the women.

"Just keep an eye out for the chap. And for anything else, my dear" he whispered to Carrie "and try to blend in, like me!" said the man with the most eccentric manner and clothes taste in the room. For all his eccentricity, he was doing quite a good job of Schmoozing.

Blend in he says.

Carrie thought drying as she looked at the picture and glanced around. She spotted the man in the picture almost instantly on the far side of the party. She looked for Lockwood, but decided best not too. Halfway between herself and the man was the refreshments table which he seemed to be making a move towards as well. It couldn't hurt to get something to eat and perhaps listen in on him at the same time. She moved towards the table and started to fill her plate while keeping an eye on Mr. Nates quietly.

"...And so I said to the bishop... 'Sir the actress is cross enough already'!"

Hahahaha! laughed the little group he was conversing with.

He looked around. Where was that Carrie? he asked himself. He soon spotted her, looking shifty by the food.

"Excuse me lady's and gentlemen" he apologised, and made off towards Carrie once more. Not before giving an attractive young socialite lady a kiss on the hand and a wink.

Off he strode, grabbing two glasses of champagne from a waitress (also the recipient of a wink and a smile) and reached Carrie. "Drink?" he asked, thrusting a glass of bubbly under her nose.

"Found anything?"

Carrie glanced up at Lockwood before taking the drink and his as well before setting it back on a passing waitresses tray,

"No alcohol, you're enough trouble sober and I am not driving that steam machine of yours back."

A drink was temping to her to help the nerves, but she never did it when she was on a job, no matter what the job especially one as likely to break into a fight at some point. Looking past Lockwood, she glanced down the way at Steven Nates, who was talking up some people at the other end of the table.

"You can go smooze him, I'll go take a look around."

"Ah yes" said Lord Steam, taking another gulp of champagne. Carrie was right of course, had to stay sober on the job. Shame really, the Champagne was rather good.

"Stay safe, stay silent. Stay, er, unseen!" he said to Carrie by way of good wishes and encouragement. And with that, he strode over to Mr. Nates.

"Hello Sir!" he introduced himself with a slight bow and jaunty smile. "Mr. Nates, I presume. What an absolutely spiffing party you have here! Please allow me to introduce myself, Lord Lockwood at your most humble service. I say... that champagne is quite splendid. It matches the general air of class you have managed to distill into this little get together!"

Steven Nates turned his head from his plate and met the glance of a peculiar gentleman,

"Ahh, Lord Lockwood, how nice of you to come. Especially with that nasty business at the art show."

Holding his smile, he turned his attention the group he was previously talking too,

"Everybody, this is Lord Lockwood, he was the one from the art show who helped to take down those awful villians."

Meanwhile

Slipping inside, Carrie made her way to the nearest bathroom keeping an eye out for the security cameras, she counted five just down her trip down the hallway which meant that snooping probably meant something a little more walking around in a heavy dress. As she stepped in she locked the one room hall bathroom, she locked the door behind and changed out of the pinstripe dress into a dark brown tank and slipped on some well fitting pants. Folding the dress, she made an internal note not to forget to come back and retrieve it before stashing it in the cabniet under the sink. Leaving the door locked, she turned flat to slip through cracks and started to sneak through the rather large hous.

Lord Steam raised an eyebrow. So, Nates knew all about him? and his involvement with the other theft? that sounded suspicious to him. Then again, a lot sounded suspicious to the Steampunk Sherlock.

He duly made a few waves, and modest waves to acknowledge the group, before turning back to Nates.

"News travels fast, it seems. I had really no intention of my involvement becoming public knowledge, must less celebrated. Right time, right place, and all of that heh?" he joked

"I would presume then that you have more than a passing interest in these events? the world of art is your oyster?"

GM

"More of a passing interest really, I had attended the gallery showing with a few colleagues and none of us could get over how spectacular you were. Especially since you were armed with nothing but a cane,"

Mr. Nates looked down and saw said cane,

"And you still have it, I wouldn't want to intrude, but even if art is not my forte, I have quite an interest in ancient weaponry, and there is nothing more ancient than a well placed stick."

Lord Steam arched an eyebrow.

Of course, his instant response to flattery was to soak it up and enjoy it. But he was no fool. This man was perceptive, charming, and very possibly a crook. And he was buttering Lord Steam up. Which could put him off the scent.

that made the man dangerous... and clever...

Good.

He enjoyed battling wits with somebody who tested his intellect, insight, and even his psyche. Not many could, and he relished it. A weakness of his, but one he could at least acknowledge.

Well, lets see how Mr. Nates responds to the same...

"You seem to have a mind that can grasp more than the fundamentals about anything that crosses your nose, Mr. Nates" smiled Lord Steam. "Much more than the fundamentals, I shouldn't wonder. I cant imagine how a man of your fine taste and generous talents finds amusement or challenge in life, to be honest. You have clearly excelled in the realm of material acquisition, and indeed in artistic patronage. What drives a man of such formidable energy?"

GM

Mr. Nates smiled at the compliments,

"You are far to generous in your assertions Lord Lockwood, whatever acquisition you see here is only something gained through mild luck and a little risk taking. As for arts, there is very few things that catch my interests. As I said, I find weapons fasinating, but all other arts, it seems a bit dead in grandor. A painting on a wall never had a purpose past looking pretty, a weapon however, was protection, status, power, something sought by all in it's advancement and it's potiential and real use. Though nowadays most weapons fall short, the fasination of there former purpose still remains."

Lord Steam nodded, meeting Mr. Nates gaze square on. The man had all the trimmings of a psychopath in his inexpert, but nonetheless astute opinion. Unreadable, interest in weapons, cold, callous...

He found himself wondering how Carrie was getting on, and if she was in danger. Things could possibly be more dangerous than they appeared at the party.

"An interesting view, Mr. Nates. Not without a solid foundation of logic, too, if I may say"

Flatter without explicit agreement...

"I shall cogitate over you wisdom. In the meantime, please allow me to stretch my legs and admire a little more of your splendid abode for a moment!" he gave a gracious bow and smile, and backed off as cordially as he could.

Fourty Minutes Later

Why in the world would anybody need this much space?

Carrie was wearing down a bit in her search, mostly because she was searching everywhere very thoroughly, which was both time consuming and rather boring and she had barely gotten through the ground floor. No one saw here, not the security cameras, and definitely not the staff. She had unlocked the bathroom after about ten minutes and shut off the light as well as set some extra rolls of toilet paper on the tank so someone wouldn't go looking for it if they ran out. But otherwise she had disappeared from the party completely, and really nobody missed her. After all, she was a nobody, why would they.

Lucien took out his waistcoat silver pocketwatch, polished it and examined it dangling loosely from its chain.

Damn where was she!

"Ah yes, Mrs Banks, so delighted to hear of your recent charitable endevours, but please excuse me..." he smiled at the tedious lady who had insisted on his attention. All money, no class, he had concluded. The very worst breed of person.

He paced outside the building for a breath of fresh air, opened up a silver cigarette case and lit an expensive cigarillo. He was not a smoker by habit, only by occasionally indulgence - or when particularly vexed, as he was now. And he liked the look of cigarillo's.

He cast his eyes over the building, scanning for any sign of Carrie, well aware that the stealthy young lady would be highly unlikely to be found by his eyes.

Damn and blast! he cursed.

"Cigerettes, really? I thought you were planning to get yourself killed by some angry bad guys, not do the job yourself."

There was Carrie, sitting on the window ledge just behind Lockwood a story up. She had just been in the room behind him snooping, but the smell of smoke was undeniable. Leaning out the window she very nearly just hung there by the tops of her feet elbows on the side of the building with her elbows propping her head up while she indulged herself into a deep breath of what was probably some high quality stuff before saying,

"Alright, now put that out before I have to beat them off of you, and I'll give you the skinny about the first floor of this dudes torture dungeon."

"My dear woman" started Lord Steam "this is the finest tobacco from Texas, I'll have you know!" he protested, holding his cigarello up and waving it majestically.

"Imported from across the Atlantic in north Canadian ice... hellfire! imported from another dimension!, rolled and preserved by Whetson and Mortenberry, of Sackville row! and if you think I'm putting out this masterpeice of herbal engineering then you are sorely mistaken dear lady! A man is nothing without his occasional vice!"

He defiantly took a long inhalation.

"Now then. What have you found?"