Gathering at ASTRO Labs [Elseworlds/What If?]

The man in the front of the group can't quite be said to be leading it. It looks like he's being prodded forward every few steps when he is about to turn back towards the elevators, and his face is just a little upset. The security personnel pull down visors and take up positions near any doorways or elevators that would lead deeper into the building. They look focused and ready for action, not like the run-of-the-mill security guards that might be seen at a mall or even a bank.

"What's going on here? I sent that Murphy boy out to get my lunch, and he still isn't back yet. Besides, there's work to be done, urgent work, and I can't talk about it down here now, can I? Whole gaggle of people in this lobby," he says.

"Dr. Maclean, there's a girl here who can turn invisible," says one of the helpers herding him through the lobby. Though they all have different builds and complexions, there's something distinctly similar about their white lab suits worn over white collared shirts and black pleated pants. "She..."

He cuts her off, "Fine. Call the Freedom League, to join if she's friendly, or for them to do whatever it is they do to super-villains. I don't have time for this."

One of the other ones says, "She also claimed she was from another dimension."

Dr. Maclean stops suddenly, causing the people behind him to stumble against him. For a wiry older man, he seems very forceful when he finally concentrates on something.

"Where is she? I want to speak with her immediately," he says, looking around. "Show yourself, young woman."

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man in the front of the group can't quite be said to be leading it. It looks like he's being prodded forward every few steps when he is about to turn back towards the elevators, and his face is just a little upset. The security personnel pull down visors and take up positions near any doorways or elevators that would lead deeper into the building. They look focused and ready for action, not like the run-of-the-mill security guards that might be seen at a mall or even a bank.

"What's going on here? I sent that Murphy boy out to get my lunch, and he still isn't back yet. Besides, there's work to be done, urgent work, and I can't talk about it down here now, can I? Whole gaggle of people in this lobby," he says.

"Dr. Maclean, there's a girl here who can turn invisible," says one of the helpers herding him through the lobby. Though they all have different builds and complexions, there's something distinctly similar about their white lab suits worn over white collared shirts and black pleated pants. "She..."

He cuts her off, "Fine. Call the Freedom League, to join if she's friendly, or for them to do whatever it is they do to super-villains. I don't have time for this."

One of the other ones says, "She also claimed she was from another dimension."

Dr. Maclean stops suddenly, causing the people behind him to stumble against him. For a wiry older man, he seems very forceful when he finally concentrates on something.

"Where is she? I want to speak with her immediately," he says, looking around. "Show yourself, young woman."

not waiting for Lila to show herself, and quite frankly, a little irritated...R.J. went on.

"Dr. Maclean, I was actually the one who posited we came from another dimension, although we all came to the conclusion mutually.

My name is R.J., and you seem a very busy man, so I'll be concise: We are not from this dimension, if you wish to use so crude a misnomer. We're actually from a far different iteration or branch of the multiverse. I'm making a wild set of assumptions, but I personally subscribe to the Ellis, Koechner and Stoeger sense. Along that route, I'm going with the Level 3 structure, the Everett Many-worlds interpretation. I'm ignoring a lot of newer science, like Guth's chaotic inflation, but still.

We come from the same time in our dimension, but from largely different global-co-ordinates. I don't remember any sort of visible aperture or singularity, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Come to think of it, we could all be from different iterations. There would be no way to tell....unless....of course this is comic book land....I don't suppose you have any sort of super-sciency device that can look at the quantum frequency of our sub-atomic strings? That would simplify things greatly, and allow you to prove the veracity of our claim."

not waiting for Lila to show herself, and quite frankly, a little irritated...R.J. went on.

"Dr. Maclean, I was actually the one who posited we came from another dimension, although we all came to the conclusion mutually.

My name is R.J., and you seem a very busy man, so I'll be concise: We are not from this dimension, if you wish to use so crude a misnomer. We're actually from a far different iteration or branch of the multiverse. I'm making a wild set of assumptions, but I personally subscribe to the Ellis, Koechner and Stoeger sense. Along that route, I'm going with the Level 3 structure, the Everett Many-worlds interpretation. I'm ignoring a lot of newer science, like Guth's chaotic inflation, but still.

We come from the same time in our dimension, but from largely different global-co-ordinates. I don't remember any sort of visible aperture or singularity, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Come to think of it, we could all be from different iterations. There would be no way to tell....unless....of course this is comic book land....I don't suppose you have any sort of super-sciency device that can look at the quantum frequency of our sub-atomic strings? That would simplify things greatly, and allow you to prove the veracity of our claim."

"I'm over here." Lila waved at the stern man. "I'll try to turn back."

She scrunched up her eyes tightly and concentrated on becoming visible. She could sense that everyone was staring, not at her so much as they were staring into the empty space where she was supposed to be.

"There! Did it work?" Lila held out her hands to see if she could see herself. She couldn't. "Crap. I'm not very good at this yet. Sorry"

She scrunched up her eyes tightly and concentrated on becoming visible. She could sense that everyone was staring, not at her so much as they were staring into the empty space where she was supposed to be.

"There! Did it work?" Lila held out her hands to see if she could see herself. She couldn't. "Crap. I'm not very good at this yet. Sorry"

Bailey didn't know what to say. She supposed that this was all good news. Surely scientists would be able to help them if anyone could.

"It's okay," Bailey said. She felt really bad for Lila. Being invisible must be a horribly disconcerting feeling. "Um . . . here! Hold this so we can see where you are." Bailey pulled off her scarf and held it out so Lila could grab it.

Bailey didn't know what to say. She supposed that this was all good news. Surely scientists would be able to help them if anyone could.

"It's okay," Bailey said. She felt really bad for Lila. Being invisible must be a horribly disconcerting feeling. "Um . . . here! Hold this so we can see where you are." Bailey pulled off her scarf and held it out so Lila could grab it.

Everyone involved in the discussion took a moment to look unsettlingly at the scarf floating in mid-air. You'd think that the good people at ASTRO labs who work with the most cutting edge technology and live in a world where people fly through the streets at amazing speeds wouldn't be peturbed by a little floating scarf -- but, it seems you'd be wrong.

No-one really has time to comment, however, as everyone is distracted by Dr. Maclean's buzzer going off, "Oh, Lordy - again?" He rips the buzzer from his pants and looks at it, "My, my - oh my. Yes, yes indeed. I see. Mmmm..." Now the entire room is staring at the old man, wondering just how much information that buzzer screen could hold. Suddenly he snaps the buzzer to his belt and turns back to the group, "Well, seems like we may have a solution after all - there's another fluctuation in the dimensional barriers" He begins to walk hastily toward the front doors, talking on his mobile as he does so. Once he's about thirty feet away he turns back to the group, "Well, c'mon!"

Sean turns to the others and shrugs before chasing off after the strange man. In the land of the insane, the craziest is king.

Everyone involved in the discussion took a moment to look unsettlingly at the scarf floating in mid-air. You'd think that the good people at ASTRO labs who work with the most cutting edge technology and live in a world where people fly through the streets at amazing speeds wouldn't be peturbed by a little floating scarf -- but, it seems you'd be wrong.

No-one really has time to comment, however, as everyone is distracted by Dr. Maclean's buzzer going off, "Oh, Lordy - again?" He rips the buzzer from his pants and looks at it, "My, my - oh my. Yes, yes indeed. I see. Mmmm..." Now the entire room is staring at the old man, wondering just how much information that buzzer screen could hold. Suddenly he snaps the buzzer to his belt and turns back to the group, "Well, seems like we may have a solution after all - there's another fluctuation in the dimensional barriers" He begins to walk hastily toward the front doors, talking on his mobile as he does so. Once he's about thirty feet away he turns back to the group, "Well, c'mon!"

Sean turns to the others and shrugs before chasing off after the strange man. In the land of the insane, the craziest is king.

"Come on," Bailey said to the others. She reached out and felt around for Lila. Lila was still invisible to everyone; as soon as she had taken the scarf that Bailey offered to her . . . it became invisible too. "There you are!" she said, finding Lila and grabbing on to her sleeve. "Let's stay together."

She followed Sean and the doctor to wherever they were going.

"Come on," Bailey said to the others. She reached out and felt around for Lila. Lila was still invisible to everyone; as soon as she had taken the scarf that Bailey offered to her . . . it became invisible too. "There you are!" she said, finding Lila and grabbing on to her sleeve. "Let's stay together."

The whole assembly of security, scientists, and would-be heroes piled into several waiting SUVs and began making their way toward Liberty Park, the site of the disturbance. From inside the SUVs, they could see a dark and foreboding storm cloud hovering over the park, and the closer they got the more the vehicles were battered by the wind from the storm.

The SUVs pulled into the park and came to a stop just inside. The team from ASTRO Labs began piling out with tons of equipment.

The whole assembly of security, scientists, and would-be heroes piled into several waiting SUVs and began making their way toward Liberty Park, the site of the disturbance. From inside the SUVs, they could see a dark and foreboding storm cloud hovering over the park, and the closer they got the more the vehicles were battered by the wind from the storm.

The SUVs pulled into the park and came to a stop just inside. The team from ASTRO Labs began piling out with tons of equipment.

seanavatar.jpg

Sean piled out, the scientists leaping out and getting to their business. They bumped him from behind as he stared at the storm - 'woah.' He was having a little bit of a hard time maintaining his stance in the wind buffeted him. 'This is even better than Sliders.' he thought to himself.

He saw Dr. Maclean ordering people this way and that - not as a noble commander, mind you, more like a child playing chosen as the team leader. He turned back to the others, "What do you reckon? Pretty cool, eh?"

seanavatar.jpg

Sean piled out, the scientists leaping out and getting to their business. They bumped him from behind as he stared at the storm - 'woah.' He was having a little bit of a hard time maintaining his stance in the wind buffeted him. 'This is even better than Sliders.' he thought to himself.

He saw Dr. Maclean ordering people this way and that - not as a noble commander, mind you, more like a child playing chosen as the team leader. He turned back to the others, "What do you reckon? Pretty cool, eh?"

Lila slowly turned visible during the ride in the SUV. First her hands and feet, then her body, and finally her head. During the final few moments when she was still headless, Lila caught a bad case of the giggles. The scientists glared at her several times, at her obvious inability to grasp the the seriousness of the situation. Lila tried to be quiet, but she couldn't stop the giggles. Finally,when one of the scientists barked, "Young lady!" at the headless girl, she stuck our her invisible tongue at the scientist, before mumbling, "Yes, sir." She managed to stifle the giggles for the remainder of the trip.

When the SUVs stopped, she piled out behind Sean and Bailey, shielding her eyes against the wind with her arm.