Name: Meta

Power Level: 10

Trade-Offs: -2 Toughness / +2 Defense

[floatr]Picture7.png[/floatr]

In Brief: Superhero wannabe who gets powers... and maybe loses a lot more

Alternate Identities: Jared Doffmeyer

Identity: Secret

Affiliations: None

Family: Stephen Doffmeyer (father), Wendy Doffmeyer (mother), Heather Doffmeyer (sister)

Apparent Age: 23

Height: 6’1â€

Weight: 180 lbs.

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Brown

Description: Jared is an average size caucasian male in his early twenties. In his civilian identity, he dresses casually; slacks, and dress shirt with a tie when he's working, jeans and polos when relaxing. For his alterego, he made a form-fitting black and grey bodysuit with dark blue trim and domino mask.

History: Jared’s life revolved around superheroes since before he was even born-- while he was still in the womb, his mother and father were saved from a plane crash by Captain Thunder. The Doffmeyer household always spoke of the Freedom League reverently; heroes were given near-sainthood status. Young Jared grew up wanting to be just like them. He strove to follow his heroes’ examples of honesty, justice, protecting the weak...

Unfortunately, Jared was one of those “weak.†He yearned to develop super-powers of his own and don a cape and cowl, but the cosmic lottery never seemed to draw his number. He was neither rich enough, nor smart enough, nor athletic enough to become a caped crusader on his own. So, he resigned himself to the sidelines; following his heroes’ exploits with every bit the fervor of a sports fan following his home team. When he left home, there was only one place for him to go: Freedom City, home of the Freedom League (and numerous other costumed adventurers). Jared thrilled every time he caught a glimpse of Captain Thunder or Lady Liberty soar by and he raced to the scene whenever the news reported a clash of superhumans.

While drinking in his favorite supers-themed bar one night, Fate finally seemed ready to shine on Jared. He ran into an old buddy from High School, Nicholas Stroud. Nick had always been top of the class, but as the two reminisced and Jared learned how many Ph.D.s and Masters Nick had already earned, he began to suspect his old friend might just be a superhuman. Jared learned that Nick had been working on some cutting edge research, some real controversial stuff that had cost him a professorship at a few Ivy League Schools. He claimed to be close to unlocking a Universal Theory of Metahuman Abilities; his “Meta-theory,†as he called it. Jared wanted in. And, since Nicholas was having trouble getting enough funding for his lab and equipment, much less any assistants, he was happy to have Jared on.

Jared worked pro bono, devoting all of his spare time to chasing down super hero/villain fights and setting up specialized sensors (incognito), retreiving various debris that had been warped or heavily exposed to superhuman powers and, once, he even retreived a hair from a small time hero doing a photo op. Nick claimed he was close to unravelling what he called “Quantum DNA,†a code he believed was entangled in all metahuman genes.

But he couldn’t proceed without non-superhuman DNA to test. Jared had hoped and feared that day would come, ever since he first took the job. It was ridiculous, and dangerous, and just like something directly out of his comic books... but he knew he couldn’t say no.

The procedure was a resounding success. Jared’s body crackled with power... but he couldn’t control it. The power was sporadic; he could channel the energy to mimic certain powers he’d witnessed other supers do, but he could barely manage to manifest more than one at a time.

Nick insisted they were close. He would go on for hours, hunched over his desk, ranting about space-time and vacuum energy and holographic universes... Jared couldn’t follow along, so he spent less time in the lab and more time practicing his newfound abilities. It was like living in a dream; his greatest wish had come true. He made a costume for himself, took some self-defense classes, and started patrolling.

His first encounter was almost a disaster. It was a simple mugging, but Jared hadn’t realized how difficult it could be fighting with only one superpower at a time. If he made himself bullet-proof, he was too weak physically to take down the muggers; if he made himself offensively powerful enough, he was vulnerable. Jared stopped the muggers, but he got himself shot in the process. He was able to heal himself, but the experience was traumatic enough that he decided to put the mask on hold until Nick worked out the kinks.

However, when he flew to their lab to recount his experience to Nick, his friend wasn’t there. In fact, the lab itself wasn’t there. All that was there was an abandoned strip mall, looking untouched for years. Jared’s confusion turned to panic as he failed to find any trace of Nicholas or their work. The phone number he had for Nick was invalid. The waitstaff at the restaurants they frequented didn’t remember him. Finally, Jared even checked with the colleges Nick had said to have graduated from... they had no records of any Nicholas Stroud.

Several months have gone by and Jared is still no closer to finding answers. His leading theory at the moment involves time travel, but he can’t exactly understand why everything else would stay the same. Plus, Nick’s picture is still in Jared’s Senior yearbook (he checked), so he’s not sure why that would be. The only other option he can think of involves questioning his sanity, something he’s not ready to do yet.

In the meantime, Jared’s gone back to patrolling again. He’s learned how to keep his body suffused with low levels of the strange, amber energy he channels, toughening up his body and allowing him to fly at low speeds no matter what powers he manifests. He still can’t manage to hold more than one “major†power at a time, though.

Personality and Motivation: Jared has dreamed his whole life of being a superhero. He’s finding out, though, that it takes more than powers to make a hero. He wants to live up to the ideals of the Freedom League, but he’s not entirely sure what to do next.

Jared is a friendly, “glass half full†kind of guy. He wants to believe the best in everybody and gives everyone but the hardest villains the benefit of the doubt.

Powers and Tactics: When Jared uses his powers, his body is surrounded in a crackling nimbus of amber energy. As he gets better at channeling the energy, the nimbus calms to a soft glow--such as when he flies at low speeds--but when he boosts the energy to duplicate some of the more powerful abilities he’s seen supers display, the orange aura flashes and arcs wildly.

He’s still getting used to his powers, but he’s getting better at balancing his multiply exclusive abilities. Jared will often fly at range, hitting his targets to stun and disorient before moving in to take them down. In defensive situations, Jared will double down on his forcefield and place himself between any innocents and their aggresors, waiting until their guard is down or help arrives.

Attributes: 6 + 6 + 6 + 0 + 4 + 6 = 28 PP

STR 16 (+3)

DEX 16 (+3)

CON 16 (+3)

INT 10 (+0)

WIS 14 (+2)

CHA 16 (+3)

Combat: 12 + 12 = 24 PP

Initiative: +7

Attack: +6 (+10 Unarmed/Powers)

Grapple: +3/+13

Defense: +12 (+3 Flat-Footed)

Knockback:

Saving Throws: 3 + 3 + 4 = 10 PP

Toughness: +8 (+3 CON, +5 Protection)

Fortitude: +6 (+3 CON, +3)

Reflex: +6 (+3 DEX, +3)

Will: +6 (+2 WIS, +4)

Skills: 52r = 13 PP

Bluff 7 (+10)

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Intimidate 7 (+10)

Knowledge: History 5 (+5)

Knowledge Pop Culture 5 (+5)

Knowledge: Meta Science 4 (+4)

Languages 1 (German) (Base: English)

Notice 8 (+10)

Sense Motive 8 (+10)

Feats: 19 PP

Attack Specialization: Unarmed 2

Dodge Focus 6,

Improved Grab,

Improved Initiative,

Improved Overrun,

Interpose,

Luck 2,

Move-By Action,

Precise Shot,

Power Attack,

Takedown Attack,

Uncanny Dodge (auditory)

Powers: 40 + 10 + 1 + 5 = 56 PP

Meta-power Array (32 PP Array, Power Feats: Alternate Powers 8) [32 + 8 = 40 PP]

• Base Power: Blast 10 (Extras: Range [Perception]; [Power Feats: Indirect 2) “Blasterâ€
    AP:Concealment 5 (All visual senses, normal hearing, Power Feats: Close Range) and Insubstantial 4 (Affected by electricity) [11PP + 20PP = 31PP] “Sneakâ€
    AP: Create Object 10 (Extras: Moveable; Power Feats: Precise, Selective) “Summonerâ€
    AP: Enhanced Strength 14, Immunity 9 (Life Support, and Super Strength 3 (Heavy Load ~6 tons) “Brickâ€
    AP: Flight 5 (total Flight 10 [10,000 MPH]) and Quickness 20 (x20 million) “Speedsterâ€
    AP: Healing 10 (Extras: Ranged; Power Feats: Accurate 2 “Healerâ€
    AP: Telepathy 10 (Extras: Action: Move, Power Feats: Subtle, Penetrating) “Telepathâ€
    AP: Morph 5 (Any shape) [15PP] and Elongation 10 (1,000 ft) [10PP] and Impervious 5 (added to Toughness) [15 + 10 + 5 = 30] “Shifterâ€
    AP: Dazzle 10 (Visual, Extras: Area: Burst, Power Feats: Slow Fade 2 [10 rounds]) “Sidekickâ€

Flight 5 (250 mph) [10PP]

Immunity 1 (own powers) [1PP]

Protection 5 [5PP]

DC Block:

ATTACK           RANGE      SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed          Touch      DC Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Attributes (28) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (10) + Skills (13) + Feats (19) + Powers (56) = 150 PP

Finally! I've finished a character I'm happy with. I copied a lot from AA's version of Ultra Boy, one of my favorite heroes, but I've tried to give him my own spin.

I'm not sure how to do the DC block yet, and I'm sure I've made some other mistakes, but... here's my first attempt!

As per discussions on the chat, I'm working on giving him a theme based array. The idea now is that he worked for the Albright Institute and, through an incident that involved a late night working and an attempted break in, he gets imbued with the powers of the Crime League. Complications ensue. So far, what I have is this:

Crime League-power Array (32 PP Array, Power Feats: Alternate Powers 8) [32 + 8 = 40 PP]

• Base Power: Blast 10 (Extras: Range [Perception]; [Power Feats: Indirect 2) “Dr. Stratos’ Lightningâ€
    AP: Insubstantial 3 and Super Senses 6 (Infravision, Ultravision, X-ray Vision) [15PP + 6PP = 31PP] “Hiroshima Shadow’s curseâ€
    AP: Create Object 10 (Extras: Moveable; Power Feats: Precise, Selective) “Black Star’s ‘Shadow Force’â€
    AP: Enhanced Strength 14, Immunity 9 (Life Support, and Super Strength 3 (Heavy Load ~6 tons) “Devil Ray’s suitâ€
    AP: Mind Control 10 (Extras: Area: Burst, Selective Attack; Flaws: Sensory dependent-auditory) “The Maestro’s sonic modulationâ€
    AP: Datalink 10 and Machine Control 10 and Mind Shield 10 [10 + 10 + 10 = 30PP] “Dr. Simian’s
    AP: Teleport 4 (400ft/ 1 mile Extras: Accurate; Power Feats: Progression x2) and Transform 5 (Humans to animals, Flaws: Duration: Concentration) [14PP + 15PP = 29PP] “Medea’s magicâ€
    AP: Concealment 5 (All visual senses, normal hearing) and Super-Senses 1 (Olfactory: Tracking, Acute) [10PP + 2PP = 12PP] “Orion’s prowressâ€

I'm not sure what to call Dr. Simian's "power." Also, even though I put it on a Concentration flaw, I'm still not sure turning humans into animals is something a hero should be doing; what do y'all think? Also, I'm way short on Orion's AP, and I'm not real sure what to do for Wildcard, either. What do y'all think?

After consideration, I don't think that powers based off the Crime League is something I'm really interested in playing. I had a backup character that I'm working on now, he'll be ready hopefully after today, maybe tomorrow.

You can delete this post, or archive it or whatever you do with unapproved characters.