The Jade Arenas of Heaven: Shock the Monkey [IC]

Solarum looked upwards, studying Ironclad in flight. "Not a bad idea," she said. "You have no idea how often I'm stuck down here while men and women take to the air." The golden automaton turned towards a nearby patch of ice, breaking off a large stalagmite formed from the frost. "But you know what? I've learned how to cope." The stalagmite took flight like a javelin, soaring through the air and colliding with Ironclad's armor.

---

Cannonade delivered a mighty kick to Kodiak's midsection, sending the hirsute warrior back several feet and crashing into a tree. "How you holding up?" he asked.

"Had worse," said the bruiser; in fact, some of the shallow cuts on his arms from where he'd brushed against the bark were starting to heal up. "Much worse. You've got some ego, kid."

"Okay, then. Maybe I'll just shut up while I kick your ass."

"Couldn't hurt."

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisp's breath caught in her throat as Lacuna's impact knocked her forward a couple of steps. Unfortunately for the other woman, Wisp's parents had trained her well. She spotted the woman with delusions of ninja-hood and in another rapid series of blows and short teleport jumps she'd pummeled her opponent, each strike accompanied by a cloud of crimson and snow colored smoke that dissipated almost as soon as it formed. Not as effectively as before but enough to leave her rocking on her feet. Flipping her hair out of her face she replied, "I'd say, not half bad."

John watched as the clumsy strike caused a spiderweb of cracks to form across the marble surface where the massive fist had struck. While he had seen the man react to his mind blade, now that he was in his colossi form he would be extremely hard to damage using normal means. Time for plan B, he thought. John focused his mind and called forth his duplicates, each of them appearing nearby. -- Attack Pattern Lambda, plan Delta-5-Delta. -- he commanded his duplicates as they sprang into action, latching themselves onto strategic places on the giant. John dug out of his reserves of energy, and jumped onto the nearby foot, twisting with all his might to lock the joint in place...

The flung ice-stalagmite hit Ironclad off-center, spinning the armored heroine in the air. Her flight through the air grew wobbly as she grew disoriented, but after a moment she leveled out, temporarily jetting outside of Solarum's throwing range before curving back. In fact her flight path curved in on itself again and again as she danced a complicated pattern in the air, scissoring back on her own path and making what would have been impossible turns for most aircraft. Rolling out of one curve and into another, she managed to snap off a shot at Solarum.

Monolith braced as the many components of Myrmidon overwhelmed him, trying to grapple the giant and catch him off his feet. Then he smiled. "I've seen this one before," he said. "I wouldn't say it's stupid... but trust me, it rarely works." With that, he flexed and stretched his muscles, attempting to disgorge Myrmidon from himself. The force of strength caught the young duplicator off-guard, causing him to lose his handhold slightly...

---

Lacuna was sent staggering by another blow from Wisp. Wisp couldn't so much as see the invisible heroine's impact as feel it... though the erratic sound of footprints across the floor of the arena helped tell her that Lacuna was trying to get her footing. "You're good," she said, almost out of punch-drunk admiration. "You have no idea how often I've gotten away with that."

---

Pathfinder managed to recover her footing, and stood firm in the middle of her island. "You'll have to do better than that!" she said. "I've seen -- " Crow would never find out what she saw, as he landed the old one-two on her. The first touch left her dazed and slightly weak; the second blow caught her right in the chest. She staggered, tried to regain her footing, then slipped on the edge of the island, falling into the water.

"The match is called!" came Guan Yu's voice from the stands. "The victor is... Crow!"

The blast from Ironclad caught Solarum right across the chest, temporarily denting and dulling her lustrous exterior. She went stumbling across the tundra floor, attempting to make a counterstrike... but she could only focus on so much. "Ah," she said. "Good to see you fighting back. Glad to see the metal goes beyond the skin."

---

Cannonade closed with the stunned Kodiak and caught him in a suplex. The blow brought the hulking warrior to the floor of the forest, knocking the wind out of him while catching him in a tight grip. Cannonade held him down. "Well," said Kodiak, who was beginning to straighten out and push back even while entangled, "at least you learned to keep your mouth shut."

"Well, y'know," Cannonade said, "I hate to disappoint."

"Rarely does not mean never." Myrmidon said as the stone colossus managed to dislodge one of his duplicates and send it slamming into the arena wall with a sickening crunch of bones. The effort of hanging on was fatiguing, and held on fast in no part thanks to wearing gloves. The giant paused to deal with the other duplicates and that is when they attacked. Focusing his tiredness and fatigue into a glimmering purple blade, he commanded his surviving duplicates to do the same. They struck as one, all the while hoping the giant would succumb to their combined efforts. I can't keep this up much longer...John thought as he blinked sweat out of his eyes.

Ironclad kept to the perimeter of the arena as she observed Solarum far below, staggering back from the latest blow the armored heroine had laid on her. The possibility of a trap or feint entered her mind, but she quickly dismissed it. If she had a chance to end this fight early, she had to take it. With that in mind Ironclad charged her wrist blasters to maximum and fired off a shot that briefly painted the arena in gold and orange light, before opening up her thrusters and fleeing to the far end of the available space. If this didn't stop her opponent, at least she could be far away from any potential retaliation.

Crow shook his hands, wincing slightly as he watched his opponent tumble into one of the rivers, and Guan Yu's subsequent victory call. Resisting the urge to do a happy dance, he did a quick-step over to the edge and reached into the water, hauling Pathfinder out and onto the shore. The teen felt a mix of pride and chagrin, as well as a distinct sense that he was in way over his head; way, way, way over his head.

After a quick check of her vitals revealed she was just unconscious (which didn't surprise him, he doubted he really could've done worse), he backed up and let the stretcherbearers haul her away. Then...he raised his fists in the air, pumping them as he turned and grinned towards his friends. Second win! Woo!

"It was a solid tactic," Wisp said, honest admiration in her voice, "If I hadn't been trained since I could walk, that would probably have taken me out. If I might off some advice, some brass knuckles or something might be of some help." Before Lacuna could respond however, Wisp sprung into smokey action, delivering a series of jabs, kicks, and finishing with an over the shoulder roll, throwing the other woman several yards away. Catching her breath, she noted where Lacuna had landed. Kneeling down she checked on her to make sure she was okay before hefting her and waiting for the scene to ripple back into the ring so she could hand her over to the medical attendants.

Lacuna landed with a solid thud. She made her way to her feet - and the entire arena could see it, as the heroine's invisibility began to flicker in and out like a bad signal. As it broke entirely, revealing her to the crowd, her head rolled back and she collapsed to the floor of the arena, kicking up dirt around her.

"The match is called!" cried Guan Yu from the stands. "The victor is... Wisp!"

---

The blade cut into Monolith's flesh, causing him to stumble slightly. Myrmidon and his duplicates detached, landing softly on the arena floor as the giant settled and tried to regain his breath. "You know how to cut deep," he said, his voice echoing across the cityscape. "Guess I'll just have to try harder."

---

Ironclad's blast caught Solarum right in the head, sending her flying back several feet. As the golden woman struggled to get to her feet, the ice around her began to crack. She struggled to both retain her footing and regain her balance, but both left her unable to attack and desperately struggling for several precious seconds.

---

Cannonade rounded on Kodiak again, driving a solid blow into the hulking Canadian's skull. The man lost his balance, stumbling backwards into the foliage; the bruise that cropped up looked like it wasn't going to fade away any time soon. "See?" said Kodiak. "Now you're learning. Direct's always best."

"Gotta say," said Cannonade, "you've got a point."

Myrmidion just grunted in response to the giants' words. If a coordinated attack did not work, time to try a flurry of attacks. If it worked for ants, it might work here. -- Execute Maneuver Tango Seven-Nine, Kappa-Delta variant -- he mentally commanded his duplicates and he felt more than saw them impale their mind blades into the golem-man, flensing his mind over and over again. Focusing for a second, John caught his second wind before launching himself at the giant, ethereal blade savaging his opponent.

Ironclad stopped her evasive flight as she saw Solarum get knocked off her feet. She pondered a risky maneuver -- if it went off properly, she could win the fight right here. If it didn't though, and Solarum recovered, the momentum of the fight could quickly swing back in the golden woman's direction. As she hung in the air, super-fast mind going through the possibilities, out of the corner of her eye she could see Crow, Wisp, Cannonade, and Myrmidon in the stands. Someone -- probably Crow -- had rigged up a banner and painted the words "Go Freedom City" on it in yellow and blue. That gave her a surge of confidence. She couldn't let them down!

The armored heroine hovered in mid-air and brought both her blasters to bear on the stunned woman far below. A quick overcharge on the firing coils and she let loose with an overcharged blast that streaked through the sky, momentarily gilding the sign as it passed nearby.

The mental onslaught sent Monolith reeling, but the giant managed to stay on his feet. But soon, the pull of gravity became too much, and the man of stone went to his knees. He tried to fall with the impact - it seemed the hero had long trained himself to avoid collateral damage when fighting in an urban atmosphere. He turned his body sideways, allowing him to avoid hitting the foundation of any buildings. As Myrmidon leaped off the falling giant, however, the impact still hit the buildings like a bomb, shattering glass and sending it raining down to the city streets. Myrmidon was just able to get himself and his duplicates inside an alcove to avoid the falling debris. After a few seconds, the cityscape was silent again.

"The match is called!" declared Guan Yu. "The victor is... Myrmidon!"

---

Solarum staggered under another powerful blast from Ironclad. The golden woman remained on her feet, but just barely, avoiding both the cracked ice and rough terrain. "I was wrong about you," she called up towards the other heroine. "It's not steel or flesh that's at your heart. It's fire."

---

Cannonade wrapped his arm around Kodiak's neck, trying to get him in a close grab. He crashed his helmed head into his opponent's face, sending Kodiak reeling. Cannonade felt the weight of his opponent pulling against his arm; he released it, and the Canadian brawler began to slump to the ground. He pushed against the forest floor, trying to get to his feet, but eventually fell unconscious.

"The match is called!" yelled Guan Yu. "The victor is... Cannonade!"

Cannonade helped Kodiak to his feet, leading him over to the medics. "Gotta say, kid," Kodiak mumbled, "at least you learned your lesson."

"Really? Well, it had to happen one day."

Ironclad gave Solarum a respectful nod and brought up her wrist blasters, charging up another shot. "You're a pretty tough opponent," she allowed. "You think on your feet a lot better than I do." With that the hovering heroine loosed the blast at the golden woman, lighting the entire arena as she did so. "I wish it didn't have to come down to fighting like this," the heroine muttered to herself, in the privacy of her helmet.

Solarum took the blast well, weathering its impact and struggling forward towards Ironclad. Forward motion, however, betrayed her; she began to stumble, losing her footing as she crossed the tundra floor. Finally, a few feet from where Ironclad hung in mid-air, she hit the floor. The stands erupted with applause.

"The match is called!" declared Guan Yu. "The victor is... Ironclad!"

Ironclad took to the stands with the rest of the Freedom City contingent as the matches continued on. Others lasted longer than theirs, while others were over in seconds. The whole of the combat was much shorter than yesterday's, however, given the reduced number of combatants. As they sat, they were brought phials by some of the medics to ensure that their wounds healed. "You will need to be prepared for the afternoon matches," the medics said.

Yeah, tell me about it, thought Cannonade. Things were stating to come hard and fast, and odds were it wouldn't be long until he was up against another hero of Freedom. He tried to distract himself with the matches, but they passed by too quickly. In time, Guan Yu had taken the podium again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the end of morning matches," he said. "This has been an incredible tournament thus far. You have all done your lands proud. This afternoon, we shall move onto the quarterfinals. The fighters shall return to their mansions to rest up for the grand match, and --"

"YOU!"

All heads in the crowd turned towards the booming voice. Bres the Beautiful, obviously mad and obviously drunk, stood in the aisle nearest the Freedom City contingency. His finger was pointed directly at Crow.

"I've not forgiven your insult, boy!" he cried. He pulled a wooden staff, one that looked like it had been made from dried vines, out from behind his back. He threw it to the ground, where it splintered instantly... and the splinters took root, growing swiftly into hulking beings with muscles like corded vines. "I will see your line destroyed, for the pride for Annwn and the Fomorians!"

Cannonade was first into the fray, leaping over the rest of the row and landing in the middle of Bres's little green mob. He knew he had to hold back on collateral damage; the stands were packed, and any of his more damaging moves would spill out into collateral damage. He could certainly punch Bres until he cried out to his weird primordial mother, though.

"Y'know, I'm impressed," he said, driving his fist hard into the Fomorian prince's chest. "I've seen some sore losers in my time. I've seen people who'll screw themselves if it means getting one desperate stab in at the guy they hate. But I've never seen anyone set hospitality on fire like you have. It's gotta be a talent."

"I care not for their simpering courtesies," Bres spat. "I care for the glory of my kind."

Jessica turned at the sudden intrusion and rolled her eyes, even as the energy wave unfolded from her bracelet and wrapped around her body. An eyeblink later it faded to reveal her armor. "Seriously, Bres? Crow took you down when he was all on his own. Now you've got all of us to fight -- do you really think it's going to go much better for you?" She leapt into the air and brought her wrist blasters to bear. "Even with those creepy little friends of yours, I bet you won't even last two minutes." She blasted the vine creature closest to the group. "Make that one."

John was on his feet alomst immediately, turning to face the new threat. "Fool." was all the he said before the bluish flash of his powers activating occurred. A second later a spiraling conflagration went airborne, headed towards one of the plant creatures. "Even taking a minute is an overestimation of his current abilities. He has relied upon external means to keep and hold power for far too long. He is nothing without it."

Wisp teleported around the arena, each one leaving a puff of crimson and snowy smoke behind her. As she reached the top she could see considerably more, including what looked like hundreds, possibly thousands of Yao-gui attacking stewards and guards in small pockets. Landing again she turned towards Morgan. "Hey, listen," she called and inwardly cringed for a second remembering the noise of the faeries from The Legend of Zelda, "There's a small army of creepy fallen man-beasts out there attacking Tian. If you have any ideas, now might be a good time to share with the class."

Crow looked at Bres, and felt a distinct cold sweat begin to rise on his forehead, below the hood. Bres the Beautiful was there, furious, and trying to wreak havoc even without the Eye of Balor, which seemed to grow heavier in his pocket. He didn't buy for a second that the eldrich monster was drunk; it'd take more liquor than they had in Tian to lay a warrior of Bres's caliber low; myths and legends tended to be rather clear on mighty figures' drinking prowess for some reason. But that meant he had a purpose, a method in his madness. And Morgan Crowe couldn't see it. At least until his girlfriend showed up with a distinctly helpful bit of information. Plastering a far-more-confident-than-he-felt grin on his face, the teen laughed and threw a rude gesture Bres' way.

"Give me a sec. Let the teacher know a student's misbehaving."

He spun on his heel, disappearing right as John let rip with the molotov. Morgan came out of his spin on the podium beside the great host, Guan Yu; and was nearly floored by the sheer presence of the deity. Not to mention the fury that was likely there due to Bres's unseemly actions.

"Guan Yu, Bres isn't playing fair this round; there's an army of yao guai striking at your city, messengers should be arriving any moment. Our compatriot, Wisp, just discovered that scanning the arena for his backup plan. Ten to one he's got something schemed, but we'll try and keep him locked down here; good luck!"

The fact that Crow managed to get all of that out without stammering or losing his cool in front of the god of war ran through Morgan's mind, and he logged it away to freak out over it later. Another spin of the heel, and he reappeared beside Wisp, one rune in the small of his back smoking and burning. He lifted a hand, and a lance of flame shot from his fingers to splash over the Fomorian; the sheer heat from the blast oppressive even to the heroes.

"Oi, Bres. Doigh."

The blast caught Bres upside the head, sending him reeling back into the stands. "You miserable bastard," he said, the drunken tone vanishing from his voice as he tried to maintain balance. "I'll take the Eye back from you, and once I do, I'll visit such horrors upon you --"

"BRES!!!"

Guan Yu's voice struck like thunder, tearing through the chaos of the arena. The warrior god surged through the rapidly emptying stands like a freight train. The plant creatures took advantage of the distraction to strike at the group, swinging their giant, root-encrusted fists at the heroes of Freedom. One caught Cannonade right in the chest; he managed to keep his breath, but he could feel the dull ache spread through his bones.

Guan Yu came to a stop, standing before the group of heroes. He had a polearm the size of a lamp post out, the blade pointed directly towards Bres. "You can do the first sensible thing in your miserable life and surrender now," he said, "or I can take the exquisite joy of driving you out of this city at the edge of my blade."

"Oh, you miserable fool," said Bres, laughing all the while. "Don't you see it? Your city is falling all around you! And I'm going to dance in the wreckage!"

Guan Yu raised his blade, ready to strike. Cannonade, meanwhile, struggled with one of Bres's creatures, trying to break through its bark like skin. "Y'know, Bres," he said, "I'm looking reaaaaal forward to seeing him kick your ass."

Ironclad hesitated, hanging high in the air. Bres' plant thing had shrugged off her energy blast, but she knew from before that she could hurt and even take down the yougai demons. When Guan Yu joined the fight, that decided her; the armored heroine turned her head towards the fight raging in the city beyond and accelerated towards the nearest pocket of demons. En route she connected to Cannonade's cell phone sent a text; "Going to fight demons. Monitoring phones. BIAB."

Ironclad stumbled upon a twisted, hulking yao guai, pounding at the walls of the arena. Its eyes were bloodshot, its tusks twisted like corkscrews, and its tusk ended in a fanged protuberance. The blast caught it off-guard, but bounced off its thick, armor-like hide. It looked up the sky and led out a terrible trumpeting noise in the direction of the battlesuit-clad heroine.

"Hey!" The elephant turned around to find Sun Wukong standing by him, his staff out and ready. "Get lost, Babar. Or I'm going to wrap that thing around your legs and tie you in a knot."

The elephant stamped its feet, preparing to charge at Sun Wukong with all its might.

---

In the arena, Bres stood firm against Guan Yu. "I know what the Warlords say about you, Guan," he said. "In their cups, they talk about how bureaucracy has made you soft. All this talk of brotherhood and honor. It's been too long since you've had a blade in your hands --"

Bres didn't even get to finish the statement. The polearm swung out with the speed of an out of control train, cutting deep into the Fomorian's side. He led out a terrible yell as Guan Yu doubled back with the blunt end, driving it into the wounded warrior's chest and sending him flying into the stands, which had long since been vacated. He landed several feet away, cracking one of the benches with the impact of his body.

"No," he said. "Just long enough." He rounded on the Creepers. "Which one of you wishes to follow the lead of your idiot master?"

• 2 weeks later...

Myrmidon used the rather imposing distraction of Guan Yu entering the fray to plunge two and a half feet of red-hot steel deep into the side of the plant creature that had take n a swipe at him earlier. John adjusted his grip on the burning weapon, and as Guan Yu's blow sent Bres rocketing headlong into the stands. Myrmidon ripped the sword upwards and outwards with an exaggerated sawing motion, sending pieces of smouldering bark scattering away from the woody denizen. "That is not all, we need to assist the forces of Tian to repel these invaders. This has to be a mere distraction as their goal must lie elsewhere..."