Fun In the Sun (IC)

"Delicious."

Supercape blinked slowly.

Supercape blinked again, again slowly.

"Yeessss...." he mouthed, slowly, his whole body quite still from surprise. He could feel his mouth moving and the words coming out but his brain felt quite remote from the whole process. Fortunately years of reflexive English manners and ettiquette had embedded itself in his spinal cord and that managed to do the work for him.

"They are aren't they?... so glad you enjoyed them. Quite the treat. Available at all good traditional eel and mash shops..."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica took her seat and deliberately looked away as Blake swallowed the British 'treat' whole. She still heard the slurp though, and suppressed a shudder. True, until last year he had been a slimy, squamous thing at least part time, but that didn't make some of his more disgusting habits any more bearable. She picked up her burger, looked at it, and felt her stomach quail at the thought. Instead she put it down and, glancing around, sighted Cobalt Templar. "Cobalt," she called out, her voice lifting. "So, you're going to be a senior this year? You must be pretty excited about that!"

The boy in blue had been relaxing in midair, floating as if he was sitting on something. He held his plate in one hand, and his burger in the other; he was already halfway through the wonderful slice of beefy heaven, despite trying to savor it.

'I hope he cooked extras.'

At Jessica's question, he turned himself a bit in midair, which gave him time to think of an answer. He stopped taking bites of his burger, setting it on the plate, which floated itself to one side.

"Hm. Excited, scared, nervous. All of the above. I mean, it'll be cool to be a senior, be kind of "top dog". Scared because after that, it's college, then "the real world". Plus, I'm on Young Freedom these days. I think they're going to have me and Sage kind of spearheading the whole thing. So that's an equal mix of all three. I mean, I'm still kinda new to the hero thing, you know?"

He took a nervous bite of his burger, visibly thinking over the whole matter.

"May have been trying to make an impression," she admitted, her cheeks reddening for a brief moment in a way that had nothing to do with the sun. "If you need a break from all the people, we can duck out to the water for a while, okay?"

"It worked," Mara quietly confirmed, rubbing her slightly sticky cheek and looking pleased. "Was...tempted. A bikini, I mean. But wasn't sure how much I wanted to...show off. Can always do that in private, anyway. Water...thank you. Will keep it in mind. Think I'm doing okay so far, though."

"Hm. Excited, scared, nervous. All of the above. I mean, it'll be cool to be a senior, be kind of "top dog". Scared because after that, it's college, then "the real world". Plus, I'm on Young Freedom these days. I think they're going to have me and Sage kind of spearheading the whole thing. So that's an equal mix of all three. I mean, I'm still kinda new to the hero thing, you know?"

He took a nervous bite of his burger, visibly thinking over the whole matter.

"Am never sure," she said, loud enough to be heard by people who weren't Ellie, "whether to regret missing that. All of that, I mean. School. Half the time, seems like I should be glad I missed it. Other half, feel like I'm missing something important to other people."

Estelle eagerly rubbed her hands together as the burger wafted her way.

"Ask and ye shall recieve?"

"Mmm, thank you!" Focusing all attention on her newly-arrived food, she was able to successfully banish all thoughts of eels and jelly to the back of her mind as she took a big bite of the savory burger. Despite herself, her normal exposure and good manners slipped a bit as she spoke with her mouth full. "Oh dear God, that's heaven!" Her cheeks went a little pink as she remembered herself and simply gave the grillmeister an enthusiastic thumbs up.

Rather than just talk to the one beachgoer in her own age group, the blonde chemist did her best to try and keep up with some of the other conversations going on, although some of them were just happy teen dating talk.

"Am never sure," she said, loud enough to be heard by people who weren't Ellie, "whether to regret missing that. All of that, I mean. School. Half the time, seems like I should be glad I missed it. Other half, feel like I'm missing something important to other people."

Estelle shrugged. "Personally I think the most important part of school is the education, the actual broadening of the mind, and it's clear you received that without a traditional scholastic background, 'Fly. The social stuff-" She grimaced and wiggled her hand from side-to-side. "I really think it depends; for some people, it's a pointless distraction that gets in the way of the work. Other people throw themselves so eagerly into the social swirl that they miss the whole point of the exercise, and come away from school with a lot of fond memories but with nothing else to show for it. For what it's worth, I think you turned out wonderfully, Fly." She offered her a friendly wink. "Just ask your girlfriend, she'll tell you."

"On average, it's somewhere in between those two extremes. Most of us teens find school a handy way to make at least a couple of friends. A lot of public schools have so many clubs and stuff, there's a really good chance of finding someone else who shares an interest or hobby of yours. Yes, there's still things like cliques, but to a point, that's just a fact of life."

Cobalt Templar shrugged as he took another bite.

"Push, you did cook extras, right?

Anyways, ultimately, we just have to work with what we've got. Estelle's right; despite not having attended traditional high school, you've got yourself a great girlfriend, and other friends besides. I mean, you're a superhero, for crying out loud. That's got to count for something, right?

I mean, I could sit and bemoan not going to "normal high school". Or I could decide this life's just as good, I get to meet great people, make awesome friends-"

While speaking, a blue floating hand suddenly manifested and pointed at Blake for a moment.

"Oh, and date an absolutely wonderful girl."

A goofy smile spread across his face, while his eyes got a far-off look.

Push went very quiet as the talk turned to girlfriends and love, and the bandanna twisted as he gave a somewhat wry smile at Cobalt Templar, speaking very quietly.

"Value that, mate. Never forget it. Trust me on that."

He flipped a few more patties, the moment passing as he began chuckling at the various comments from different quarters. de Havilland's comment and almost indecent praise of his burger actually caused him to blush slightly under the bandanna, and he quickly turned back to cooking. Another stir of the chili, and then he began stirring up another sauce; mixing sour cream, cream cheese, some sliced chives and green onions into a bowl.

"Dude, I brought enough food to feed an army. And even better, these are going to be my famous strikes-it-rich burgers, hee."

Push tilted his head as he began slapping some of the mixture onto some nicely toasted burger buns, considering the talk about education in turn. His hadn't exactly been the highest in the land, but he knew the value of it. Curious, he abruptly asked a question in a conversational tone.

"Got any plans for university or college?"

"School..." Eric contemplated his Fudgsicle before taking a huge bite out of it. "It all depends on what you want to do, and if you feel you need the training to do it. There's a part of me that's just happy with the job I've got -- I hold it out of loyalty, and hey, a side benefit is that I get to bring tasty drinks to you guys." He held up a bottled mocha to testify to the fact. "But I knew that I wanted to do something else. You know what I went to school for? Art history. And I did pretty okay. I could definitely get a job if a gallery was hiring in Riverside. But I did it because I knew it was something I wanted to throw myself into, and that it'd be hard to do that on my own."

He took a drink. "The social aspect? Varies for a lot of people. Either it's one of the best times of your life, a time for partying and friendship and romance, or a hard-edged crucible that demands your constant attention elsewhere... or somewhere in between. I generally lean towards staying in school, but if you can do it on your own -- " He nodded to Blake and Dragonfly. " -- and it seems you guys have... it's not really that big of a deal."