A Perfect Storm (OOC)

N/A

Any fight which starts out by making a non-trivial chunk of Freedom freeze over just before a major storm pops up out of nowhere is probably going to be noticed by... well, pretty much any hero in Freedom who's awake... and it wouldn't be at all implausible for a good-sized chunk of that group to drop in on the fight.

I agree, and that's why that was the plan from the beginning. I just let the solo part go on for longer than I'd originally intended.

But also keep in mind that the storm covers a 1-mile-diameter area in a 20-mile-diameter city. Sure, it's a busy, densely populated part of the city, close to the city center, and in the middle of the business day, so the odd (and oddly localized) weather is going to get some attention. But it's not going to have a direct impact on roughly 95% of the city. And the battle has only been raging for like 6-7 rounds. That's less than 45 seconds. To put it into perspective, the average response time for rescue workers to any given emergency in a metropolitan area is more like 4 minutes.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(01:43:37) AvengerAssembled: OK, rolling init.

(01:43:39) AvengerAssembled: roll 1d20

(01:43:41) Gizmo: "Fools! You think to match yourselves against Fenris? The Wolf of the End Times?! Harbinger of the Final Winter?!"

(01:43:44) AvengerAssembled: Oops.

(01:43:50) ChatBot: AvengerAssembled rolls 1d20 and gets 6.

That makes 9 for Freedom Angel.

By the grace of Shaen, I roll initiative for Doktor Archeville.

... or I would if Invisible Castle was working. To the Chat!

(01:44:19) ChatBot: Dr_Archeville rolls 1d20 and gets 5.

+7 = 12 total

(Only +7 b/c Dok's not coming in with his Enhanced Intelligence feeding his Speed of Thought.)

(01:45:24) ShaenTheBrain: (22:41:45) AvengerAssembled: What's the theo/philo DC to know who these people are? Fenris is probably pretty easy if you combine "giant wolf" with "Speaking Old Norse." Does Heyzel's Comprehend power let him know which languages he's speaking and understanding with the Babel Effect?

(01:46:18) AvengerAssembled: Yes

(01:46:26) ShaenTheBrain: Wait, nevermind. Thrude called him out as Loki's son by name more than once.

(01:46:36) AvengerAssembled: And she wasn't lying! Thus...

(01:48:16) ShaenTheBrain: Thrude's quite a bit more obscure than Fenris, but she did identify herself as an Aesir, reference Asgard, and was speaking Old Norse right back at the wolf half the time. So I'd say probably DC10-15 on Fenris and to know that Thrude's related to Odin/Thor/those guys in some way, DC20 to know who she is specifically. Just have Heyzel take 10 and get it all.

(01:48:29) AvengerAssembled: Hooray!

(01:48:38) ShaenTheBrain: And go ahead and copy/paste this chatlog into the OOC thread.

(01:48:42) Gizmo: E, for Full Circle, did you want them to get out of there, or did you want them to eventually deal with the Hollowe'en episode directly?

(01:49:02) Gizmo: (01:44:59) Sorus: aww, Jack And then she slapped him! With thorns!

(01:49:03) AvengerAssembled: Up to you, she says.

Top of Round 8

12) Doktor Archeville: 5HP

09) Freedom Angel: 2HP

05) Thrude: 3HP, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Stunned, Staggered, Disabled, Dying, Fatigued, Bound, Prone, Immobile, Disarmed

05) The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Fatigued

04) Fenris: 1HP

00) Snare 12: Injured

Thrude was at Init 9, but she'll have to Delay down to 5, The Fenris Wolf's Init, because her Diehard feat won't stabilize her from Dying to Disabled until 1 round after he hit her. At that point, she'll burn a HP for a Recovery check. It's a Full Action, and she's Staggered, so she'll start it on this round and finish it (and get her Recovery check) on the following round.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 2 rounds.

At the top of the round, since nobody's immune to Cold Environments, everybody has to make a DC10 Fortitude save. Archeville and Heyzel both have +10 Fort saves, so they autopass. Fenris has to make the check. If you fail, you lose 1 point of Constitution and you're Fatigued. Next check is DC11, 10 rounds from now (so we'll likely never see it), 20 rounds for Archeville thanks to his 1/2 Immunity (and Archeville and Hezyel will autopass that one, too).

Please keep in mind that the wolf has partial concealment against Normal Vision. Since that's the only Accurate sense any of the PCs have (barring power stunts and variable reallocations), along with any attack roll you make against the wolf, roll a DC5 check. Partial concealment = 20% miss chance, and in keeping with the M&M philosophy that high rolls = good, if that check comes up 1-4, your attack missed. Yes, I'll allow HP rerolls of the miss chance.

Also keep in mind that, due to the Environment Control powers still in effect, everybody's movement rates are reduced to 1/4, and both attacks with thrown weapons and auditory Notice checks suffer a -2 penalty.

Dok, you're up, followed by AA.

An 8. Joy.

Well, I feel I should also say that, due to how I want plot to fall, Fenris (my character) does not have his Regeneration or Datalink powers yet. Yes, they're on his sheet. But it'll be a few days before it's actually implemented.

So, Con is down a point, and he's Fatigued. Stupid Norse mythological figures! :evil:

Doktor Archeville

5 HP

Free Action: Maintain Comprehend + Enhanced Int

Free Action: Maintain Force Field (the Base one)

Move Action: Close in to Thrude

Free Action: Draw cutting torch (Corrosion 4 w/ Precise) from Utility Coat

Standard Action: Use Cutting Torch on ice snare around Thrude

Melee attack v. the icy Snare (1d20+8=12)

Since the icy Snare is an object, it automatically loses 4 points of Toughness, then must make a DC 19 Toughness save.

If that does not free her (I expect it will not),

Free Action: Extra Effort to SURGE to gain another Standard Action.

Standard Action: Melee attack v. the icy Snare (1d20+8=25)

Loses another 4 points of Toughness, and faces another DC 19 Toughness save.

EDIT: Changing (with Shaen's permission) that SURGE's Standard Action to a Medicine check to stabilize her (largely for fluff reasons, since all PCs have Diehard automatically)

Medicine check, DC 15 (1d20+9=26)

Snare's Toughness save (DC19): 9. It fails by 10, so it's Disabled, so it's "non-functioning." Thrude's still got bits of ice stuck to her here and there, but not enough to inflict any mechanical penalties or conditions upon her.

As his standard action, Freedom Angel pops an HP to activate Ultimate Diplomacy. That's 25 with the Combat Diplomacy penalty. (Hmm, should think about buying that challenge...)

As his move action, he lands between Thrude/Doctor Archeville and Fenris, ready to Interpose on behalf of the former two if necessary.

Actually, Doktor Archeville's ministrations do matter. Since he stabilized Thrude, she doesn't have to wait until the wolf's Initiative count to make her recovery check.

Round 8

12) Doktor Archeville: 5HP

09) Thrude: 3HP, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Stunned, Staggered, Disabled, Fatigued, Prone, Disarmed

05) The Fenris Wolf: NPC (Indifferent), Bruised x2, Injured x2, Fatigued

04) Fenris: 1HP, Fatigued, -1 CON

00) Snare 12: Disabled

On Init-count 9, while Freedom Angel is getting his Diplomacy on, Thrude pops 1 Hero Point to remove her Stunned condition, and 1 HP for a Recovery check. She uses her action to begin the check. It's a Full Action, and she can only take a Standard Action thanks to her Staggered condition, so the recovery will take her 2 rounds instead of one.

Heyzel's skill check is indeed sufficient to shift the wolf's attitude two steps, from "Hostile" to "Indifferent."

On Init-count 5, the wolf takes a Free Action to switch his array over to the Drain power, a Move Action to walk a short distance away from the heroes, and a Standard Action to Ready. The action is "Unleash the Drain cone on Heyzel, Viktor, and Thrude," and the trigger is "The moment anyone makes an attempt to attack or restrain him."

KD, you're up whenever you're ready. (Yes, I'm aware that you probably won't be "ready" until Monday.) Please remember to account for the CON penalty if Fenris is called upon to make any more Fortitude or Toughness saving throws.

So I pretty much decided to fiat a decent Knowledge (Theology) check for The Fenris Wolf regarding Heyzel. (The lack of that skill is a gaping hole on his sheet I will correct after this thread). I thought it would make for a better conversation if he knew what he was talking to.

So far, the only tongue either Thrude or the Fenrir have heard spoken is a very strange dialect of Anglo-Saxon, in one case with a distinct Germanic accent. Right now, the best guess either of them has regarding their surroundings is that they got dumped somewhere in central Europe, and at some point, either the Saxons came down and conquered Germania, or the Saxons and the Germans got together and conquered Gaul, something like that. They're flabbergasted at the mere idea that Yahweh-worship managed to spread so far north. The idea that the Europeans settled the Western Hemisphere, or that god of Abraham took over the world, won't occur to them in a million years.

Dok has actually been speaking Old Norse to Thrude (though with a modern Germanic accent).

"," she heard a small voice behind her say, in oddly accented Old Norse, ""

The "small voice" refers both to the fact he's considerably smaller than her, and he's got his Enhanced Intelligence/Comprehend on, not his Enhanced Charisma, so his Cha is a mere (even for mere mortals) 10.

EDIT: Nevermind, cleared that up in Chat.

Dok has actually been speaking Old Norse to Thrude (though with a modern Germanic accent).

I'm aware. I should have specified. However, given that only Heyzel and Viktor have spoken Old Norse, whereas the hordes of curious and then panicked civilians have all been speaking (and screaming in) Modern English, the reasonable assumption is that the latter is the native tongue of the land.

Hokay, so, here's the world...Wait, no. (Sorry, half-sleepy brain makes me loopy.)

Hm. The Fenris Wolf is not attacking. Thus, Fenris the Hero won't.

First:

Free Action: Shift Weapons Array from Ranged to Melee (Ranged is his default).

Free Action: Knowledge: Theology and Philosophy: 15. Per Shaen, I know this is supposed to be The Fenris Wolf, and that the chick is a Valkyrie or some such.

Move Action: Teleport to stand between Thrude and Fenris, in a guarding position.

Standard Action: Ready an action to attack the big wolf if he attacks first.

Freedom Angel continues to negotiate with perfect sincerity. If Fenris agrees to his offer, he will stunt Dimensional Movement 2 (any Asgardian dimension) (Extras: Accurate, Affects Only Others [+0]) [6 pp] off his sword and will deposit Fenris somewhere near the gates of Hel. (Under the theory that she can handle her brother) If Thrude is also sympathetic to his offer, he will send her to the 'offramp' where Bifrost reaches the gates of Asgard. (i.e., probably about as far as an angel can go without a diplomatic incident) From there Heimdall and Valkyrie can deal with her.

End of Round 8

16) Doktor Archeville: 5HP

09) Thrude: 1HP, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Staggered, Disabled, Fatigued, Prone, Disarmed

00) Snare 12: Disabled

Since Viktor has Speed of Thought, his Initiative is dependent upon his INT score, and shifts accordingly. Since his current INT bonus is +11, and he rolled a 5, his current Initiative is 16.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 2 rounds.

Top of Round 9

09) Thrude: 1HP, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Staggered, Disabled, Fatigued, Prone, Disarmed

Dok, if I'm reading things right, Viktor took a 5ft step (which I'm not going to count against him) to move adjacent to Vendrvapn, and a move action to attempt to pick it up, leaving him with one standard action left for this round. Did you want to have him Delay, or Ready an action for later in the round?

Thrude's Knowledge (Theology) check: 12.

Thrude's Knowledge (Arcane Lore) check: 18.

She knows that Heyzel's an angel, and not much else.

Thrude's Initiative bonus is higher than Heyzel's, so she goes first. She takes her one action for the round to finish her Recovery attempt.

Recovery check (DC10): 15. Thrude loses her Disabled condition.

Thrude then makes an unskilled Acrobat check to stand up as a free action.

Acrobat check (DC20): 27. Natural "20."

I'm going to go ahead and let her take the same free 5ft step as I did Viktor. Call it a relic of my D&D days.

When she moves forward one square to occupy the same space as Vendrvapn, the "Quick Draw" Feature takes effect and the axe leaps into her hand as a free action.

09) Thrude: 1HP, Bruised x2, Injured x2, Staggered, Fatigued

[bg=#000000]09) Freedom Angel: 2HP[/bg]

AA, you're up.

Sorry we got mixed up there. AA, I went ahead and pushed your post behind Thrude's, since technically she goes before Heyzel. Feel free to edit it in response to hers if you please.

AA, if you want to stunt Dimensional Movement, I'll allow it, yes. Have a Hero Point, though, because I'm going to narratively hijack the power. Let me know when you've got your IC post squared away, and I'll do a GM post about it.

And yes, you are correct that Bifrost is as close as Heyzel (or anyone else) is getting to Asgard proper without first going through Heimdall.

Heyzel gets a Hero Point for an Accident complication, because his power doesn't turn out quite the way he intended.

Just in case the stats come into play, the effect currently looks something like this:

Super-Movement 2 (Dimensional Movement 2 [9 Worlds of Norse Myth], Extras: Duration [sustained], Independent, Portal 2 [Affects Others + Concentration Duration], Total Fade, Feats: Progression [Portal Size] X [Really Freaking Huge]) [12+XPP]

I don't feel like doing the math for the Progression. It's big, OK?

It's not every PC who can say that their "Accident complication" consisted of summoning Yggdrasil back into the world.