A Perfect Storm (OOC)

N/A

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thrude and The Fenris Wolf land about 1,000 feet away from one another. Both of them will spend the first round flat-footed, as with a long-range Teleport effect. Which won't matter, as they can't see each other yet.

When The Fenris Wolf arrives, the active array slot on his Frost Breath is Environment Control. On his first round, he takes a Standard Action to create a snowstorm. The storm covers an area 1 mile in diameter centered on him, and will fade by 1PP per minute.

Since he has partial Concealment from Normal Vision while in the snow, the storm gives him the cover he needs to hide. So he then takes a Move Action to hide.

The Fenris Wolf's Stealth check: 24.

Thrude's Notice check: 9.

When Thrude first comes onto the scene, she will know that The Fenris Wolf is about (thanks to the plot), but she'll have no idea where he is. He'll get a surprise attack against her.

The Fenris Wolf's Initiative check: 5.

Thrude's Divine Power array begins with Environment Control as the active power. She will take a Standard Action to summon a storm, 'cause that's kinda her thing. As with the one summoned by The Fenris Wolf, hers covers an area a mile wide and will fade by 1PP per minute. After she summons the storm, she'll take a free action to reconfigure the array, setting Strike as the active power.

Thrude will begin an extended search of the area for The Fenris Wolf. She'll start with a 1,000ft-diameter area, which would normally take 20 minutes. She'll take a -15 penalty to her check in order to drop that time 3 steps down the Time Table to a single combat round (time is of the essence).

Unfortunately for Thrude, penalty or no, her +0 Search bonus (unskilled, raw INT of 10), and the additional -4 penalty from the snow, means that she has no way of beating The Fenris Wolf's Stealth check of 24. However, eventually her search will bring her within his line of sight or within 300ft of his Acute, Extended smell. So he's going to get the drop on her.

Thrude gets a Hero Point for one of her Enemy complications showing up, another HP for being locked in single combat with a foe with 2 PLs on her, and a third HP for the setback of having been surprised by that foe. She now has 4HPs total.

The two storms each reduce movement in the area by 1/2, so together, they reduce it to 1/4. However, since Fenris is Sure-Footed in snow, he only suffers the 1/2 movement penalty from Thrude's storm.

The Fenris Wolf has Speed 5, which lets him move 1,250ft per action, and Leaping 3, a 55ft long jump from a standing start. So as soon as he sees (or smells) Thrude, she's within range of an attack. He gets one Standard Action during his surprise round, which he'll use to Charge at Thrude with his Bite. He'll also use the All-Out Attack maneuver for a full -2 Defense / +2 Attack, and the Power Attack maneuver for a full -2 Attack / +2 Damage. That brings his totals to Attack +12, Damage +16 (DC31), Defense +8 (DC18). Since she's flat-footed, Thrude's Defense is +2 (DC12).

The Fenris Wolf's Attack roll (DC12): 25. He hits.

Thrude's Toughness save (DC31): 29. She fails by 2 and takes an Injury. (As per its drawback, the Bite only inflicts Lethal damage.)

The Fenris Wolf's Bite power has Improved Grab, which he will choose to use, initiating a grapple.

The Fenris Wolf's Grapple check: 50.

Thrude's current Grapple bonus is +14. She would need to roll a 37 on a D20 to beat a 50, and a 32 just to be Pinned. So I won't bother rolling. She's Bound, and thus, Helpless.

End of Surprise Round

Thrude: 4HPs, Injured, Bound

Round 1

9: Thrude: 4HPs, Injured, Bound

5: The Fenris Wolf: -

Thrude's Initiative check: 9.

Thrude is Bound, so all she can do is try to escape from the grapple. She will take a free action to reconfigure her Divine Power array, making Super-Strength the active power (giving her +10 Grapple), and another free action to activate Rage (giving her +4 Strength, and thus, +2 Grapple). Then she will take a Move Action to Escape.

Thrude's Grapple check: 38.

The Fenris Wolf's Grapple check: 48.

Thrude fails to pry herself from The Fenris Wolf's jaws. I won't bother burning a HP for a re-roll, because the best she could get is a 46.

The Fenris Wolf will take a Free Action to maintain the grapple, and a Standard Action to automatically deal damage to Thrude, chewing her up.

Thrude's Toughness save (DC29): 28. She would have gotten it on the nose, but thanks to last round's Injury, she fails by 1 and picks up a second Injury condition.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 9 rounds. Thrude has 4 rounds of Rage left.

End of Round 1

9: Thrude: 4HPs, Injured x2, Bound

5: The Fenris Wolf: -

Round 2

9: Thrude: 4HPs, Injured x2, Bound

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC

Thrude will take a Free Action to use Extra Effort for a power stunt, adding a temporary Alternate Power feat to her Divine Power array.

Strike 5 (Extras: Action 3 [Reaction]) [20PP] (Lightning Aura)

Thrude will specify "touching or being touched" as the Reaction condition, and then zap The Fenris Wolf on the inside of the mouth as a Reaction. She will specify Lethal damage.

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC20): 29. He passes.

The Fenris Wolf, not wanting to get zapped in the mouth, will take a Standard Action to throw Thrude into the nearest building. Thrude's 175 lbs. would be a Heavy Load at Strength 14. Fenris has a lifting Strength of 60. 60 - 14 = 46, and 46 /5 = 9.2. 9 steps up the Progression Table from 5ft is 5,000 feet. So Fenris can throw Thrude about a mile. There's a building much closer than that. Fenris doesn't want to throw her a mile away, so he'll choose to only throw her as far as a little further than the nearest wall (so she'll crash through it). He inflicts his Strength damage (+12) on both Thrude and the wall.

Thrude's Toughness save (DC27): 28. She passes, barely.

The building's Toughness save (DC27): 14. The outer wall fails by 13, enough to Disable it, punching a Thrude-shaped hole through it. Thrude lands Prone on the other side.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 8 rounds. Thrude has 3 rounds of Rage left.

End of Round 2

9: Thrude: 4HPs, Injured x2, Bound, Prone

Round 3

9: Thrude: 4HPs, Injured x2, Bound, Prone

Thrude will burn a Hero Point so that she does not become Fatigued from last round's Extra Effort.

Thrude takes a Move Action to stand up, and a Free Action to reconfigure her Divine Power array, setting Divine Lightning as the active power. Then she takes a Standard Action to summon a bolt of lightning down on The Fenris Wolf's head. She will use the All-Out Attack maneuver for -2 Defense / +2 Attack, and the Power Attack maneuver for -2 Attack / +2 Damage, putting her totals at Attack +8, Damage +14 (DC29), Defense +4. She will choose to inflict Lethal damage.

Since Fenris has partial concealment against Normal Vision, Thrude's only Accurate sense, her attack suffers a 20% miss chance (the roll of 1-4 on a D20).

Concealment Miss Chance: 11. She makes it.

Thrude's Attack roll (DC20): 9.

Thrude will burn a Hero Point for a re-roll.

Thrude's Attack Roll (DC20, HP re-roll): 20. She just barely hits.

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC29): 22. He's Injured and Stunned.

Unfortunately, Fenris has a Knockback resist of 19, and the lightning only has a damage bonus of +14, so it inflicts no knockback, not even to knock him Prone.

Fenris loses his turn being Stunned.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 7 rounds. Thrude has 2 rounds of Rage left.

End of Round 3

9: Thrude: 2HPs, Injured x2

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Injured, Stunned

Round 4

9: Thrude: 2HPs, Injured x2

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Injured, Stunned

I'll say that Fenris tossed Thrude about 50 feet away.

At the start of Thrude's turn, Fenris is no longer Stunned.

Thrude will take a Free Action to reconfigure her Divine Power array, setting Strike as the active power. Then she will take a Free Action to set "Slashing" and "Electricity" as the Descriptors, leaving out "Bludgeoning" and "Cold." Then she will take a Move Action to move 25 feet toward Fenris. Her Speed 1 would normally let her move 100ft per Move Action, but the storms are reducing all movement in the area to 1/4. She will then take a Standard Action to Charge at Fenris, closing in the rest of the way and attacking him. She will use the All-Out Attack maneuver for a full 2-point shift. Along with the Charge, that leaves her totals at +10 Attack, +14 Damage (DC29), and +2 Defense. She will choose to inflict Lethal damage.

Thrude's Attack roll (DC20): 15.

Thrude will burn a HP for a re-roll.

Thrude's Attack roll (DC20, HP re-roll): 26. The "6" becomes a "16." She hits.

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC29): 22. He fails by 7, so he takes another Injury and he's Stunned.

Since he failed the Toughness save by 5 or more, he suffers Knockback. Thrude's effective damage with Vendrvapn for Knockback is 26. 26 - 19 = 7, and 7 steps down the Progression Table is 100, so she knocks Fenris back 100 feet. She chooses to inflict enough to knock him into the buildings on the other side of the street.

Since the walls are Toughness +5, which is less than the KB result of 9, Fenris suffers +5 damage. The wall suffers +9 damage, the KB result.

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC20): 26. He passes.

The Building's Toughness save (DC24): 24. It passes. Fenris slams into the wall, and then falls Prone.

Fenris will use GM Fiat to shake off his Stunned condition. Thrude gains 1HP. Then he will take a Move Action to stand up, a Free Action to use Extra Effort to Surge, and a Full Action to pick up a nearby car with his massive jaws and throw it at Thrude. He will use All-Out Attack for a 2-point shift, and if he hits, the car will inflict +12 lethal damage (his Strength bonus).

The Fenris Wolf's Attack roll (DC12): 25.

Thrude will burn 1HP for an instant counter, her Strike against The Fenris Wolf's Strength, trying to slice the car in half in mid-air.

The Fenris Wolf's Countering check: 24.

Thrude's Countering check: 34. Natural "20." She wins.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 6 rounds. Thrude has 1 round of Rage left.

End Round 4

9: Thrude: 1HP, Injured x2

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Injured x2

4 rounds, and so far god and monster have fought each other to a standstill.

Round 5

9: Thrude: 1HP, Injured x2

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Injured x2

Thrude will take a Free Action to use Extra Effort to double her movement speed for the round, so she can clear the 100ft between herself and Fenris. She will take a Move Action to 50ft, and then a Standard Action to Charge the other 50ft at Fenris. She will All-Out Attack for -2 Defense / +2 Attack. That leaves her totals at +10 Attack, +14 Damage (DC29, Lethal), +2 Defense.

Thrude's Attack roll (DC20): 16. She will burn her last Hero Point for a re-roll.

Thrude's Attack roll (DC20, HP re-roll): 30. The "10" becomes a "20."

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC29): 13. Natural "1."

The Fenris Wolf uses GM Fiat for a re-roll. Thrude gains 1HP.

The Fenris Wolf's Toughness save (DC29, Fiat re-roll): 31. He passes.

Since Fenris used Extra Effort on the previous round, he is now Fatigued.

Fenris will take a Free Action to reconfigure his Frost Breath array, selecting Snare as the active power. He will then take a Standard Action to fire the Snare at Thrude.

Thrude's Reflex save (DC22): 26. She passes, so she only suffers 1/2 effect, saving against a rank 6 Snare instead of a rank 12.

Thrude's Reflex save (DC16): 13. She fails by 3, so she's Entangled. As her bonds are a solid block of ice flash-frozen to the ground, I'm going to rule that she is "anchored to the ground," so she is immobile.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 5 rounds. Thrude has no rounds of Rage left.

End of Round 5

9: Thrude: 1HP, Injured x2, Entangled, Immobile

5: The Fenris Wolf: NPC, Injured x2, Fatigued

Round 6

9: Thrude: 1HP, Injured x2, Entangled, Immobile

At the start of her turn, Thrude becomes Fatigued from her use of Extra Effort on the previous round. She also becomes Fatigued from her Rage running out, but since she is already Fatigued, she becomes Exhausted instead.

Thrude will take a Standard Action to break the Snare, inflicting her Strength damage upon it. Since she's no longer Raging and she's Exhausted, her effective Strength is 20 (+5). The Snare is rank 6 (since she made the Area/Reflex save for 1/2), so it has Toughness +6. Thrude can't use her Super-Strength to help, because she's being attacked (see "Breaking Objects," M&M2E page 167).

Snare's Toughness save (DC20): 23. The fell ice holds firm.

Fenris will take a Standard Action to use his Snare again. Thrude has -4 Dexterity from being Entangled, and another -6 from being Exhausted, for a total Dexterity of 16 (+3), leaving her Reflex save at +3 as well.

Thrude's Reflex save (DC22): 14. She suffers full effect.

Thrude's Reflex save (DC22): 11. She's Bound.

Fenris will use Extra Effort to Surge for another Standard Action. Then he will take a Free Action to reassign his array back to his Bite power. He will then use that Standard Action, and his remaining Move Action, for a Full Action to Coup-de-Grace on a Disarm maneuver. He hits automatically, and it is considered a critical hit (so he gets +5 on the opposed Damage-vs-Strength check).

The Fenris Wolf's Disarm check: 29.

Thrude's Strength check: 9.

Fenris rips Vendrvapn out of Thrude's hand with his mighty jaws. Her Divine Power array drops from rank 10 to rank 2, and she loses the Blast, Flight, and Strike powers. However, since Vendrvapn is Restricted, and Fenris is far from "worthy" of it, the moment he pries it out of Thrude's grasp, it plummets to the pavement like a lead brick (probably ripping out one of his teeth as it falls).

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 4 rounds.

Thrude doesn't get any Hero Points for being relieved of her weapon, since she's already getting the substantial "Easy-To-Lose" discount for it. But she does get 1HP for the setback of being rendered Helpless right in front of her foe.

End of Round 6

9: Thrude: 2HP, Injured x2, Exhausted, Bound, Immobile, Disarmed

The last two rounds took a pretty decisive turn against our heroine.

Round 7

9: Thrude: 2HP, Injured x2, Exhausted, Bound, Immobile, Disarmed

Thrude will burn 1HP to recover from her Exhausted condition, becoming Fatigued instead. Then she will take a Standard Action to attempt to break free from the Snare. This time, the Snare is rank 12 (Toughness +12). Her effective Strength is 24 (+7).

Snare's Toughness save (DC22): 25. The ice holds firm.

Fenris will use GM Fiat at the start of his turn to avoid suffering another level of Fatigue from his Extra Effort on the previous round. Thrude gains 1HP.

Fenris will then attack Thrude. She's helpless, so Fenris will go for a Coup-de-Grace.

Her armor gives her a 50% chance to be immune to a critical hit, in which case, he cannot Coup-de-Grace her.

Thrude's Critical Hit Immunity (DC11): 1. She is not immune against this attack.

Fenris takes a Full Action to Coup-de-Grace Thrude with his Bite attack.

Thrude's Toughness save (DC33): 19. She fails by 14. She is Stunned for 1 round, Staggered, and Disabled. She failed badly enough that she suffers Knockback as well, but Fenris chooses to merely knock her Prone at his feet.

Since it was a Coup-de-Grace, and the damage didn't reduce her to Dying, she has to make a Fortitude save against the same rank as the damage.

Thrude's Fortitude save (DC28): 11. Now she's Dying.

Thrude gains 1HP for the setback.

I'm going to rule that the Snare takes damage from his bite as well.

Snare's Toughness save (DC33): 25. It fails by 8, so it takes an Injury.

The storms will each fade by 1PP in 3 rounds.

End of Round 7

9: Thrude: 3HP, Injured x2, Stunned, Staggered, Disabled, Dying, Fatigued, Bound, Prone, Immobile, Disarmed

0: Snare 12: Injured

The downward spiral continues.

At this point, I'm going to hit the "Pause" button, let the IC thread catch up to the OOC, and then start bringing in other PCs to help before Thrude dies. I obviously let her go it alone for too long already.

I'm posting via iPhone at work, so I can't hop in can't right now...

Anyways. I'd love to hop in on the action. Part of me wants my Fenris in on the action, but the Pl difference may be too much. On the flip side, Gabriel might almost be too much...Up to you, Shaen. If you think none of my PCs would work well enough, that's fair too.

...Wow.

Um, sorry I wasn't more clear, but that wasn't a recruiting post. It was more of a note to myself than anything else. Once I catch up on the IC thread, then I'll start worrying about who else I'm going to bring into this mess. But I appreciate the interest nonetheless.

Heh. How did you guys even find this?

...Wow.

Um, sorry I wasn't more clear, but that wasn't a recruiting post. It was more of a note to myself than anything else. Once I catch up on the IC thread, then I'll start worrying about who else I'm going to bring into this mess. But I appreciate the interest nonetheless.

Heh. How did you guys even find this?

I check forums marked with new posts regularly. When I saw it was Thride's intro thread, how could I not read it?

And sorry for jumping the gun there.

For the record, when I do actually start recruiting, for this or anything else, I'll either post in Campaign Discussion or send out PMs. Which, I believe, is "proper procedure." But I am flattered, People, really.

A couple of observations which you may find relevant, Shaen...

First: Any fight which starts out by making a non-trivial chunk of Freedom freeze over just before a major storm pops up out of nowhere is probably going to be noticed by... well, pretty much any hero in Freedom who's awake... and it wouldn't be at all implausible for a good-sized chunk of that group to drop in on the fight.

Second: Jubatus, being a speedster with a seriously weird sleep pattern, can plausibly make an appearance in any Freedom City neighborhood at any time.