Caffeine & Consultation [IC]

Eric smiled at Siobhan, running one hand casually over his tattooed arms. "Yeah, some of us never left that behind," he said. "Well, for certain measures. I don't think I ever called myself anything like 'Raven' or 'Shadow.' But I can imagine what it's like when you've got both the fashion sense of The Craft and the powers to go with it. And at that age, it sounds so easy to have someone who'll respect you, tell you that you're great and you know what you're doing. It's a trick too many kids fall for... and to be honest, I can't blame them sometimes. Teen angst has led to much more foolish things."

"I just used to ask people to call me by my surname. Who needs a craft name when your name is Drake?" smirked Siobhan. "But look on the bright side, tattoos are perfectly normal for people our age. Squeezing into tight leather, not so much."

She paused to think for a moment. "But yeah, that's the problem. It is nice to have someone who says they respect what you're doing, especially when everyone else thinks you're just crazy, or at best, following some stupid fad." She looked downwards, not meeting Eric's gaze. "That's where they get you."

"At least there'll be someone who means it this time," Eric said. "Like I said before, role models. With an active figure telling teens about magic, they've got someone they can trust and an example to follow. They don't need to turn to guys lurking in the shadows, promising them wisdom and power and terrible acne for all their enemies. They've got someone they can turn to, someone who can tell them, 'I've been there' and mean it." He ran his finger around the lip of the coffee cup. "Just let me know if you're planning on starting up your own Hogwarts."

"I think a whole school is a bit much. I do think there's something in the traditional one-on-one, or groups of three arrangement," said Siobhan, leaning back in her chair. "Also, getting a building insured for a bunch of kids who could potentially burn the place down daily... a bit beyond our means, I think."

She smiled and looked down into her cup. "Mind you, I suppose even accidentally using your powers is better than giving in to the people who'd rather you didn't have them in the first place. That, I'm not looking forward to. Teaching kids how to do magic, and more importantly why... I think I'll enjoy it. Supervillains? Dealt with them before. Perfectly normal people, never committed a crime but nonetheless hate you... that's going to be a... well, it's a thing."

"I'll admit, the prejudice is gonna be a bit tricky to overcome," Eric said. "People are warm to magic these days, but they have no idea how it works -- and that scares them. It's not like they actually think magic is harmful, but they can't see how it works. It's like Hollywood and science -- anything more advanced than an iPod is going to kill us all, and stuff like that. Helping to explain it will probably kill a lot of the prejudice." He paused. "But... there are going to be people like the ones Vigourie wanted to exploit. People who think that if it doesn't come from God Almighty, it's evil, and even if it does come from God Almighty, they' keep it at arm's length if it ever speaks in a weird language. And to be honest, I'm not sure my usual advice - 'Screw 'em' - would be helpful. All I can say is... I know you can pull this off."

"Eric, Eric, Eric," chided Siobhan, a slight grin on her face. "You can sprout claws and impale people, hurl things around with poltergeists and shrug off bullets. I can launch fireballs and cause earthquakes, and need nothing more than a cup of coffee afterwards." She gestured at her cup. "Magic is dangerous. The problem is, people won't realize that we don't do these things unless we need to, and the responsible practitioners won't let people do it either."

"And to be honest, I'm not sure my usual advice - 'Screw 'em' - would be helpful. All I can say is... I know you can pull this off."

The witch blushed deeply. "Thanks... but, I really, really hope you're right."

"...well, you're right about the danger thing," Eric said. "Don't know what I was saying. Then again, I guess it's a matter of tiers. You and I sling around the heavy mojo, but there are people around there content to just commune with the loa or offer up a benediction to the Goddess. Then there are the folks who don't understand the divide, which is like fearing your microwave because of Chernobyl. We can highlight that divide, show where the safe line is and how simply being a practitioner doesn't mean you're going to wipe out the block. And if anyone gives you crap, let me know. I'll be there to help."

"That... means a lot," smiled Siobhan faintly. "And I really, really hope I never have to take you up on that." There was a brief moment of silence, before Siobhan checked her watch.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to head off, I've got a meeting at work. Thanks for agreeing to meet me," she said, getting up slowly. "Especially during your lunch break." The witch spent a moment awkwardly checking her pockets to make sure she had everything.

"I hope you never do, too," Eric said. "I hope this goes smoothly. The world could use a nice public occultist to explain all the strange words and weird symbols. But if you need someone to lend a hand, or you need to talk about it... I'm here." He picked up his dish and ferried it back to the counter. "And hey, feel free to stop by the Parkhurst. We've got a real occult brain trust going on and some very good resources. You need a place to kick back and get away from the flow of the world, then you could do worse. Good luck at your meeting, and feel free to stop by here any time."

With a gracious nod and the clink of a few coins in the tip jar, Siobhan left the shop and paused for a second just outside the door, fumbling in one of her back pockets. Putting a cigarette to her lips, she cupped it with both hands, and for a brief second, Eric would have felt the hot burning sensation of fire magic.

Then, she turned and waved one final time, forcing a smile in spite of everything. Her face soon returned to its worried frown, and Siobhan Drake strode off, hair streaming and smoke pluming behind her.