The Children of the Coil (IC)

"The Doom Coil is the driving engine of the Terminus," said Harrier, looking away with his face flat. "It is the fire into which Omega hurls the burning worlds, a terrible work of his own creation that shatters planets, stars, whole galaxies, into the absolute destruction that is the Terminus itself. The Terminus was not always what it is now. In the days of the Alphans, the greatest among them tried to end destruction and death. Instead, they birthed it in a new and terrible way. It-" In the middle of a sentence, the drone cocked his head, looking almost mechanical for a moment, before he turned and suddenly looked at Fulcrum.

"I understand you," he said suddenly, knowledge burning in his eyes. "I understand your words, and why you spoke them. I hold you no ill will." His eyes burning into hers, he said, "Does Doctor Archeville know about your...contamination?"

"Ah, so the Terminus really is death and entropy run amuck," exclaimed Fulcrum, as if finally the evidence came into focus. She leaned back and looked up at the sky. Yes, indeed, that made sense. "If the current aggression of the Terminus is a byproduct of the Alphan's interference, that suggests that, as you imply, it existed in a similar yet less destructive form, and secondly, that destroying the Doom Coil will reset the process to simple entropy," she thought aloud.

While contemplating how you'd destroy something that utterly nihilistic, she nearly missed Harrier's sudden change in demeanor. She met his gaze evenly, "Wha-?" she started, before falling silent and letting him speak. An initial look of surprise shifted to annoyance and finally thoughtfulness.

"One, yes, he knows very well about my situation. He has detailed files," she said, glaring right back at him, "Two, I'm not 'contaminated' any more than, say, being reconstructed as an Omegadrone is contamination. It's more like...being reborn as a native of the place. Like a walking Doom Coil." Not the best analogy, more like an Entropy creature than a Terminus one, but she hadn't yet cracked that nut of enlightenment.

Still, best to get everyone on the same page. "How do you know?"

"I have lived my life in the shadow of the black flame that gives no heat, gives no light, and can never be put out. When I see it burning in another, I know it." He listened to her plans and replied, " I tell you only what I learned on the streets, and what I heard at Omega's side. If you journey into the Terminus to destroy the Doom Coil, I encourage you to end your relationship with Viktor Archeville and to have a telepath scourge your memory of any recollection of vital access codes or security defenses of Earth-Prime." He certainly knew none of those, being what he was. "Or if you prefer, take him with you, so that you may meet your fate together." He fell silent at that for a moment, sussing out her reaction, before he said, "I do not say this to dishearten you or frighten you. If you undertake the quest of which you have spoken, you will be fortunate to die. I have heard it said there is sanctity in noble death, Mona, but I have seen nobility die in its millions alongside a billion others. Make your choices carefully."

Mona sighed and counted to ten mentally. Brainstorming wasn't a plan. Idly she wondered if he was twisting her intent on purpose.

He isn't listening to a word I'm saying.

She started to protest, shrugged and shook her head, her voice serious, "This meeting was a mistake. Thank you for your time, Mr. Murdock. Glad you enjoyed the lunch. I hope we meet again soon and perhaps work together. Feel free to have the leftovers."

She quickly tied up the leftover sandwiches, fruit and other goodies into the basket liner and pushed them over to Harrier. Standing, empty basket in hand, she said in a polite tone, "Have a good day, sir."

Her mind pondered what Harrier said. He may not be as reliable a source as she first thought. Even if so, this meeting was not going well. Better to extricate oneself before inserting other foot.

Besides other options existed. General sources on the Terminus proper were scarce, but the Super Museum had extensive research archives. The oral history project would be fruitful to peruse as well. The League may be reluctant given the sensitive materials. Viktor could help out there...

Murdock sat alone at the campsite for a while, long enough for the stars to come out overhead. He'd have to change into Caradoc to fly back, but the idea of pulling that silver armor on seemed reassuring after the difficult conversation with Fulcrum. He had very few emotional conversations with people, much less ones that erupted as that one had, and he pored over it as he would a tactical recollection. Had he pressed her too hard? It was a serious question to ask himself. Friendly gestures were rare enough that the idea of pushing them away was certainly an ugly thought, much less one from a woman who had been as kind to him as Mona. Could I have said something different? Would I have said anything different?

He remembered, though, her painful naivete about the Terminus and what it meant, the plans for the future that would only mean her demise, and the obdurate look of near-anger when he'd told her the truth: that there was nothing good, nothing pure, nothing worth saving beneath the power of the Terminus. "No," he said aloud, surprising himself with the volume of his voice. More quietly, though there was no one listening but the birds and the bees. "No, let her find justification for the powers she wields and the colors she wears elsewhere. I cannot save those who will not be saved. But I will not be the party to an innocent's destruction in the fires of the Terminus. Never again." And with that, his armor erupting from his body, Caradoc disappeared into the night, a shining star riding a column of fire.