Keeping Science Fair

cosmicarus

Located along the northern bank of the Wading River, the Hanover Institute of Technology is welcoming thousands of guests to begin it's three day long fair which promotes itself as 'The Best And Brightest Ideas For Tomorrow, For Today!' To all of those who know better, however, what the slogan should really read is 'We're Better Than Those Hacks At Freedom City University'. HIT had long been in competition with FCU, each vying for pole position as being on the forefront of the technological revolution. Although the rivalry was most often friendly, neither were above the occasional prank for 'one-upmanship' on the other.

None of that seemed in residence today, however, as a beautiful summer day beathed the multitudes with a warm blanket. There were many different people in the crowd - business types, looking for their next investment; scientists finding out what was available to them in their research; the general enthusiast eager to peek into a world they dream of belonging to. There were others there as well - you could pick them by their faces - they didn't want to be there. They were dragged along by a family member, friend or partner. The science of tomorrow held no interest for them whatsoever. Many of these types were walking with Meagan as she meandered through the crowd. Her science teacher, one Mr. Langstrom, had promised the class a 'special treat' for months. The more hopeful of the class were hoping that he meant a day off, but the more realistic knew it meant something far more sinister - in the end, realism was right. Mr. Langstrom eagerly marched the class through the exhibits and the crowd, pointing out to the few student wanting to be there different stands and displays. The whole thing mirrored a high school science fair, just at a larger scale. It was housed in Julian Wells' hall, named after a former student turned world renowned scientist. "He would be speaking here, himself, later today." Mr. Langstrom's rosy cheeks barely managed to hold his grin in place when he recounted this fact, which he did often.

There were others at the fair aswell. Liam Callaghan had accompanied his former martial arts school, and it's sensei, Master Lee to the event. The school had been asked to participate in a demonstration of the latest in 'Combat Simulation Technology'. Apparantly, according the flier Liam held in his hand, there was a huge future for 'CSI' developments. His school wasn't due to be called in front of the audience for it's demonstration until 11am, and as it was now 10:30am, Liam had some time to kill. The students and Mr. Lee had been asked to meet with organisers a half hour before hand, leaving Liam to tend to his own entertainment for the time being.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LiamHS.jpg

Great. Science.

Liam wanders around the exhibition, the brochure clutched in his hand and his duffel bag slung over his shoulder. He hasn't been able to remove the scowl from his face since he arrived. He agreed to join Master Lee's school to help demonstrate the combat simulator out of respect for the Old Man, but the thought of being surrounded by eggheads and calculators all day is comparable to gulping down a long drink of vinegar.

Today is his day off from the warehouse, and his plan to spend the day practicing katas in the park was buried once Master Lee ended his request with that knowing smile of his. At least the day is blustery and pleasant, and he is finally able to wear a t-shirt and enjoy the sunlight pouring in through the windows. He takes some solace at knowing he can help Master Lee; the demonstration will be an excellent promotion for the school.

At first he peers curiously at a new telescope design, sits through a presentation on carbon nanotubes then finally watches with amusement at a nimble little robot performing elaborate dance moves. A child-sized automaton clad in white plastic with an expressionless face and glowing blue eyes, Liam marvels at the machine's dexterity as thumping house music plays in the background.

That's neat an' all, but no way can that little fella replace the real thing.

He stands transfixed by the scene, losing himself in the robot's programmed performance. The crowd surrounding him seems to completely vanish.

Megan Howell followed along after Mr. Langstrom with the rest of her class. While most of her classes were ones she had been able to choose and greatly enjoyed, science was one of the few requirements she still had to take now that she was in her Senior year, and among her least favorite.

The attractive blonde teen was wearing her cheerleading outfit, as there had been a pep rally at school earlier in the day. She had her Prada backpack slung over one shoulder as she walked alongside Janet, another member of the squad which Megan captained. Megan split her attention between whispered gossip with Janet and listening to just enough of what Mr. Langstrom was saying to be able to repeat things should he ask any of the class questions.

Megan Howell followed along after Mr. Langstrom with the rest of her class. While most of her classes were ones she had been able to choose and greatly enjoyed, science was one of the few requirements she still had to take now that she was in her Senior year, and among her least favorite.

The attractive blonde teen was wearing her cheerleading outfit, as there had been a pep rally at school earlier in the day. She had her Prada backpack slung over one shoulder as she walked alongside Janet, another member of the squad which Megan captained. Megan split her attention between whispered gossip with Janet and listening to just enough of what Mr. Langstrom was saying to be able to repeat things should he ask any of the class questions.

Liam Callaghan

With the world around him fading away and the expert skills of the kindly old man, it's no wonder that Liam doesn't hear the approach of Mr. Lee until he is right on top of him, "Amazing." Mr. Lee is looking at the dancing robot, before turning to Liam, "It is fortuitous that you watch this. I believe the presentation is ready to go forward." He indicates for Liam to follow him without any perceptible move, and then makes his way to the north end of the building, and ultimately toward the stage on the right. On the left stage, a man stands at a podium, talking to the many people gathered before him, "...with the vibrational analysis settling resolutely on the side of the convex frequency, I can see no reason to deny the hypothetical presence of the liquid state..." He speaks with passion and conviction, though Liam can see the front row of journalists doing their best to maintain focus. On the right stage that he follows Mr. Lee toward, Liam can see a large, bulbous machine. Standing in front of the machine are six, slouched, robotic figures. These figures aren't of the sleek design of the one that was dancing - they look chunky, and their lines aren't smooth. Visible bolts and rivets protrude from the rough joints of their forms. They almost look like something out of a bad, early science fiction movie. Mr. Lee moves in easy, direct movements toward the five other students waiting next to the stage. Liam knows these students to be Mr. Lee's best, and they all bow respectfully when Lee and Liam approach. There is another man with the students - his white lab coat and far less than perfect physciality announce him to be some kind of scientist long before he does so himself. He holds out his hand to Liam as he approaches, "And you must be the last of the bunch, hm? The fantastic Liam Callaghan? Hm? It's a pleasure to meet you. I have to say, as I have said to the others here that it is an honour, an absolute honour to have your fine school participate in this experiment. Hm? It is my belief that what I have created will really, well, will really change things up a bit. Hm? Do you, uh, have any questions?" He rubs his nose throughout his speech, but the act seems more like a habit than actually offering any real aid in keeping his nose itch-free.

Megan Howell

Mr. Langstrom looks at his leaflet, and then suddenly checks his watch. He becomes positively shocked and immediately sets about ushering all of his students toward the north end of the building, "Oh my, oh my - come, come children. Come. We're missing it already!" Rounding up all the school children is hard work, but eventually they all follow - scared, perhaps, of becoming lost in a sea of meaningless science-babble. At least together they could resist the possibility of becoming an unwilling participant in some scientist's dream of switching a human brain for a chicken's or some such thing. Mr. Langstrom moved everyone to the left stage, shushing those talking as he got closer. The class stood behind the, mostly full, seats, and looked on as an animated scientist talked up whatever it was that was in some kind of large case on the stage next to him, "...basically, ladies and gentlemen, with the Seismic Inducer, we can create fertile land in some of the most arid parts of the world! Providing the geothermal equilibrium is condusive to vibrational maxims, any larger section of land mass can be melted away, using Millar's 'earthquake top soil liquification equation', to allow the mineral rich soil underneath to 'float' to the surface..." The thing he was talking about looked rather like a large jackhammer from the future. It sat in a large, windowed case, giving easy view to all those who could see the stage. Janet leaned over to Megan and whispered, "I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure mum has one of those in the drawer she used to hide the Christmas presents in." She own coolness doesn't allow her to laugh at her own joke, but she's happy with herself.

Liam Callaghan

With the world around him fading away and the expert skills of the kindly old man, it's no wonder that Liam doesn't hear the approach of Mr. Lee until he is right on top of him, "Amazing." Mr. Lee is looking at the dancing robot, before turning to Liam, "It is fortuitous that you watch this. I believe the presentation is ready to go forward." He indicates for Liam to follow him without any perceptible move, and then makes his way to the north end of the building, and ultimately toward the stage on the right. On the left stage, a man stands at a podium, talking to the many people gathered before him, "...with the vibrational analysis settling resolutely on the side of the convex frequency, I can see no reason to deny the hypothetical presence of the liquid state..." He speaks with passion and conviction, though Liam can see the front row of journalists doing their best to maintain focus. On the right stage that he follows Mr. Lee toward, Liam can see a large, bulbous machine. Standing in front of the machine are six, slouched, robotic figures. These figures aren't of the sleek design of the one that was dancing - they look chunky, and their lines aren't smooth. Visible bolts and rivets protrude from the rough joints of their forms. They almost look like something out of a bad, early science fiction movie. Mr. Lee moves in easy, direct movements toward the five other students waiting next to the stage. Liam knows these students to be Mr. Lee's best, and they all bow respectfully when Lee and Liam approach. There is another man with the students - his white lab coat and far less than perfect physciality announce him to be some kind of scientist long before he does so himself. He holds out his hand to Liam as he approaches, "And you must be the last of the bunch, hm? The fantastic Liam Callaghan? Hm? It's a pleasure to meet you. I have to say, as I have said to the others here that it is an honour, an absolute honour to have your fine school participate in this experiment. Hm? It is my belief that what I have created will really, well, will really change things up a bit. Hm? Do you, uh, have any questions?" He rubs his nose throughout his speech, but the act seems more like a habit than actually offering any real aid in keeping his nose itch-free.

Megan Howell

Mr. Langstrom looks at his leaflet, and then suddenly checks his watch. He becomes positively shocked and immediately sets about ushering all of his students toward the north end of the building, "Oh my, oh my - come, come children. Come. We're missing it already!" Rounding up all the school children is hard work, but eventually they all follow - scared, perhaps, of becoming lost in a sea of meaningless science-babble. At least together they could resist the possibility of becoming an unwilling participant in some scientist's dream of switching a human brain for a chicken's or some such thing. Mr. Langstrom moved everyone to the left stage, shushing those talking as he got closer. The class stood behind the, mostly full, seats, and looked on as an animated scientist talked up whatever it was that was in some kind of large case on the stage next to him, "...basically, ladies and gentlemen, with the Seismic Inducer, we can create fertile land in some of the most arid parts of the world! Providing the geothermal equilibrium is condusive to vibrational maxims, any larger section of land mass can be melted away, using Millar's 'earthquake top soil liquification equation', to allow the mineral rich soil underneath to 'float' to the surface..." The thing he was talking about looked rather like a large jackhammer from the future. It sat in a large, windowed case, giving easy view to all those who could see the stage. Janet leaned over to Megan and whispered, "I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure mum has one of those in the drawer she used to hide the Christmas presents in." She own coolness doesn't allow her to laugh at her own joke, but she's happy with herself.

Liam Callaghan

Megan Howell

LiamHS.jpg

"And you must be the last of the bunch, hm? The fantastic Liam Callaghan? Hm? It's a pleasure to meet you. I have to say, as I have said to the others here that it is an honour, an absolute honour to have your fine school participate in this experiment. Hm? It is my belief that what I have created will really, well, will really change things up a bit. Hm? Do you, uh, have any questions?" He rubs his nose throughout his speech, but the act seems more like a habit than actually offering any real aid in keeping his nose itch-free.

Liam shakes the scientist's hand with a firm grip. He finds the man's mannerisms amusing, and he can't resist smiling as though he's about to burst out laughing right there on the stage. Liam hopes the scientist interprets it as genuine friendliness rather than a mocking grin. By looking at his eyes and posture he senses that the scientist is sincere, and Liam appreciates that above all else.

"Fantastic? I dunno what Master Lee's been tellin' ya, but I'm far from that. I'm just happy ta help. So, um, what exactly do ya need me ta do? I'm not fightin' ya, am I?"

LiamHS.jpg

"And you must be the last of the bunch, hm? The fantastic Liam Callaghan? Hm? It's a pleasure to meet you. I have to say, as I have said to the others here that it is an honour, an absolute honour to have your fine school participate in this experiment. Hm? It is my belief that what I have created will really, well, will really change things up a bit. Hm? Do you, uh, have any questions?" He rubs his nose throughout his speech, but the act seems more like a habit than actually offering any real aid in keeping his nose itch-free.

Liam shakes the scientist's hand with a firm grip. He finds the man's mannerisms amusing, and he can't resist smiling as though he's about to burst out laughing right there on the stage. Liam hopes the scientist interprets it as genuine friendliness rather than a mocking grin. By looking at his eyes and posture he senses that the scientist is sincere, and Liam appreciates that above all else.

"Fantastic? I dunno what Master Lee's been tellin' ya, but I'm far from that. I'm just happy ta help. So, um, what exactly do ya need me ta do? I'm not fightin' ya, am I?"

LiamHS.jpg

Liam Callaghan

The scientist looks surprised, and then smiles, "Oh no, no, no, no, no - gosh no. Fighting? Me? Oh no, no. No, you'll be trading blows with one of these..." he indicates the metallic looking hulks on stage. At the moment, they stand in formation around the machine at the back of the stage, slouched over as if un-powered. Then he looks to the audience, still talking to Liam "...as soon as everyone is in, I'll give a little introduction and we'll proceed with the demonstration. I had hoped to get a superhero in as well, but now I'm glad I couldn't - I'm not sure if the resistors could, well, resist the surge. But no matter - I'm certain that you are all perfect candidates. This is going to be a fine demonstration." The man continues to rub his nose, and now his hands - he's getting excited. It is only now that Liam see them man's name badge: "Hello! My name is Professor Myrtleton!" but the name means nothing to him.

Liam Callaghan

The scientist looks surprised, and then smiles, "Oh no, no, no, no, no - gosh no. Fighting? Me? Oh no, no. No, you'll be trading blows with one of these..." he indicates the metallic looking hulks on stage. At the moment, they stand in formation around the machine at the back of the stage, slouched over as if un-powered. Then he looks to the audience, still talking to Liam "...as soon as everyone is in, I'll give a little introduction and we'll proceed with the demonstration. I had hoped to get a superhero in as well, but now I'm glad I couldn't - I'm not sure if the resistors could, well, resist the surge. But no matter - I'm certain that you are all perfect candidates. This is going to be a fine demonstration." The man continues to rub his nose, and now his hands - he's getting excited. It is only now that Liam see them man's name badge: "Hello! My name is Professor Myrtleton!" but the name means nothing to him.

Liam Callaghan

Megan stared daggers at Mr. Langstrom’s back as he called her and the other students “children.†Kids would have been at least acceptable, but children was just disrespectful. Completely loosing interest now, Megan just took the time to look around the building at some of the things going on and people that were there.

When Janet made her comment about some device they had been dragged to see, Megan covered her mouth as she quitely snickered at her friends little joke.

Megan stared daggers at Mr. Langstrom’s back as he called her and the other students “children.†Kids would have been at least acceptable, but children was just disrespectful. Completely loosing interest now, Megan just took the time to look around the building at some of the things going on and people that were there.

When Janet made her comment about some device they had been dragged to see, Megan covered her mouth as she quitely snickered at her friends little joke.

Megan Howell

As Megan begins to walk away, Mr. Langstrom absently calls to her, without taking his eyes off the stage, "Don't go too far, there'll be a 'quiz-tastic' on the bus on the way back to school." Mr. Langstrom loved his 'quiz-tastics', even though there was nothing 'tastic' about them. Making her way through the crowd, Megan could hear the constant chatter of crowd - the excited remarks, the scientific mumbo-jumbo, the yawns of some of the less interested. Looking absently around, Megan catches a glimpse of something - just a glimpse. Someone moving through the crowd. But they weren't just moving - if she saw what she thinks she may have, the person was moving at super-speed! Someone dressed in yellow and black? No-one else seems to have seen anything however, and Megan loses sight of the person in the crowd. Before she can investigate further, however, she's accosted by a slightly older looking guy dressed, well, not very trendily. He has a smirk on his face that Megan has seen many times from many guys, though she's never seen this guy before, "Hey there - you look a little lost. Need someone to unravel the plebish mysteries at this so called 'science fair'?" He's flanked by two equally uncool flunkies who snicker as if their leader has said something very funny.

Megan Howell

As Megan begins to walk away, Mr. Langstrom absently calls to her, without taking his eyes off the stage, "Don't go too far, there'll be a 'quiz-tastic' on the bus on the way back to school." Mr. Langstrom loved his 'quiz-tastics', even though there was nothing 'tastic' about them. Making her way through the crowd, Megan could hear the constant chatter of crowd - the excited remarks, the scientific mumbo-jumbo, the yawns of some of the less interested. Looking absently around, Megan catches a glimpse of something - just a glimpse. Someone moving through the crowd. But they weren't just moving - if she saw what she thinks she may have, the person was moving at super-speed! Someone dressed in yellow and black? No-one else seems to have seen anything however, and Megan loses sight of the person in the crowd. Before she can investigate further, however, she's accosted by a slightly older looking guy dressed, well, not very trendily. He has a smirk on his face that Megan has seen many times from many guys, though she's never seen this guy before, "Hey there - you look a little lost. Need someone to unravel the plebish mysteries at this so called 'science fair'?" He's flanked by two equally uncool flunkies who snicker as if their leader has said something very funny.

Megan Howell

Megan stopped to look at the three guys that had come in front of her. The blonde teen gave them a slightly look as she replied to the one that had spoken to her. “No, thanks I think I can figure it out for myself.†She then started to move around the three to see if she might be able to spot that movement she saw once more.

Megan stopped to look at the three guys that had come in front of her. The blonde teen gave them a slightly look as she replied to the one that had spoken to her. “No, thanks I think I can figure it out for myself.†She then started to move around the three to see if she might be able to spot that movement she saw once more.

LiamHS.jpg

The scientist looks surprised, and then smiles, "Oh no, no, no, no, no - gosh no. Fighting? Me? Oh no, no. No, you'll be trading blows with one of these..." he indicates the metallic looking hulks on stage. At the moment, they stand in formation around the machine at the back of the stage, slouched over as if un-powered.

"No worries, man," Liam jests, "I was just playin' with ya." He examines the robots, noting their archaic frames, and feels confident at facing them in single combat.

They don't look so bad. It'll be like poundin' on that liitle dancing guy, he imagines amusedly.

"...as soon as everyone is in, I'll give a little introduction and we'll proceed with the demonstration. I had hoped to get a superhero in as well, but now I'm glad I couldn't - I'm not sure if the resistors could, well, resist the surge. But no matter - I'm certain that you are all perfect candidates. This is going to be a fine demonstration." The man continues to rub his nose, and now his hands - he's getting excited. It is only now that Liam see them man's name badge: "Hello! My name is Professor Myrtleton!" but the name means nothing to him.

Myrtleton. Heh. Sounds like one o' those mad scientist names.

"Superheroes are a waste o' yer time, doc. They'd only worry about tearin' their long johns. Whenever yer ready, just give us the word." Liam places his duffel bag off to the side of the stage and stretches his legs and arms.

Dude's pretty keen on his new toy. Can't blame 'em, though.

LiamHS.jpg

The scientist looks surprised, and then smiles, "Oh no, no, no, no, no - gosh no. Fighting? Me? Oh no, no. No, you'll be trading blows with one of these..." he indicates the metallic looking hulks on stage. At the moment, they stand in formation around the machine at the back of the stage, slouched over as if un-powered.

"No worries, man," Liam jests, "I was just playin' with ya." He examines the robots, noting their archaic frames, and feels confident at facing them in single combat.

They don't look so bad. It'll be like poundin' on that liitle dancing guy, he imagines amusedly.

"...as soon as everyone is in, I'll give a little introduction and we'll proceed with the demonstration. I had hoped to get a superhero in as well, but now I'm glad I couldn't - I'm not sure if the resistors could, well, resist the surge. But no matter - I'm certain that you are all perfect candidates. This is going to be a fine demonstration." The man continues to rub his nose, and now his hands - he's getting excited. It is only now that Liam see them man's name badge: "Hello! My name is Professor Myrtleton!" but the name means nothing to him.

Myrtleton. Heh. Sounds like one o' those mad scientist names.

"Superheroes are a waste o' yer time, doc. They'd only worry about tearin' their long johns. Whenever yer ready, just give us the word." Liam places his duffel bag off to the side of the stage and stretches his legs and arms.

Dude's pretty keen on his new toy. Can't blame 'em, though.