Keeping Science Fair

cosmicarus

LiamHS.jpg

The scientist looks surprised, and then smiles, "Oh no, no, no, no, no - gosh no. Fighting? Me? Oh no, no. No, you'll be trading blows with one of these..." he indicates the metallic looking hulks on stage. At the moment, they stand in formation around the machine at the back of the stage, slouched over as if un-powered.

"No worries, man," Liam jests, "I was just playin' with ya." He examines the robots, noting their archaic frames, and feels confident at facing them in single combat.

They don't look so bad. It'll be like poundin' on that liitle dancing guy, he imagines amusedly.

"...as soon as everyone is in, I'll give a little introduction and we'll proceed with the demonstration. I had hoped to get a superhero in as well, but now I'm glad I couldn't - I'm not sure if the resistors could, well, resist the surge. But no matter - I'm certain that you are all perfect candidates. This is going to be a fine demonstration." The man continues to rub his nose, and now his hands - he's getting excited. It is only now that Liam see them man's name badge: "Hello! My name is Professor Myrtleton!" but the name means nothing to him.

Myrtleton. Heh. Sounds like one o' those mad scientist names.

"Superheroes are a waste o' yer time, doc. They'd only worry about tearin' their long johns. Whenever yer ready, just give us the word." Liam places his duffel bag off to the side of the stage and stretches his legs and arms.

Dude's pretty keen on his new toy. Can't blame 'em, though.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Megan Howell

“No, thanks I think I can figure it out for myself.†She then started to move around the three to see if she might be able to spot that movement she saw once more.

The leader of the three boys steps in front of her, brushing a greasy lock of hair from his face, "What's the hurry? It's not like you're gonna miss anything new - all the stuff here was old news months ago..." He takes a step closer; now he's certainly invading Megan's personal space - his breath smells like pizza and cola. "I think you wanna hang out with a real inventor - you should come back to my 'crib'..." Before he can finish, a hand comes out from behind Megan and pushes him hard on the shoulder. The owner of the hand steps forward - he's a young man, maybe 20 or 21, with dark hair and deep, brown eyes. He's wearing a blue woolen jumper with the letters 'H.I.T' printed in white across the chest. His athletic frame and square jaw seem at odds with the mathematical calculator he's holding in his other hand and the pencil behind his ear. His voice is commanding, "Hey, moron, Quantum Mechanics 101 is one building over - you better watch yourself around here or you'll probably stumble into a Koche's Relativity Paradox." The man with the greasy hair looks down his nose at the newcomer, even though he's about half his size, "Maddox!" The newcomer takes a step forwar, "Beat it, skeeze." He doesn't need to raise his voice, the power is inherent. The greasy haired guy slinks off with his friends before the newcomer turns to Megan, "Hey, sorry about those guys - they're jerks from F.C.U, always trying to psyche us out." His puts out his hand, "I'm Will. Will Maddox." His smile is broad and honest, revealing straight, white teeth.

Megan Howell

“No, thanks I think I can figure it out for myself.†She then started to move around the three to see if she might be able to spot that movement she saw once more.

The leader of the three boys steps in front of her, brushing a greasy lock of hair from his face, "What's the hurry? It's not like you're gonna miss anything new - all the stuff here was old news months ago..." He takes a step closer; now he's certainly invading Megan's personal space - his breath smells like pizza and cola. "I think you wanna hang out with a real inventor - you should come back to my 'crib'..." Before he can finish, a hand comes out from behind Megan and pushes him hard on the shoulder. The owner of the hand steps forward - he's a young man, maybe 20 or 21, with dark hair and deep, brown eyes. He's wearing a blue woolen jumper with the letters 'H.I.T' printed in white across the chest. His athletic frame and square jaw seem at odds with the mathematical calculator he's holding in his other hand and the pencil behind his ear. His voice is commanding, "Hey, moron, Quantum Mechanics 101 is one building over - you better watch yourself around here or you'll probably stumble into a Koche's Relativity Paradox." The man with the greasy hair looks down his nose at the newcomer, even though he's about half his size, "Maddox!" The newcomer takes a step forwar, "Beat it, skeeze." He doesn't need to raise his voice, the power is inherent. The greasy haired guy slinks off with his friends before the newcomer turns to Megan, "Hey, sorry about those guys - they're jerks from F.C.U, always trying to psyche us out." His puts out his hand, "I'm Will. Will Maddox." His smile is broad and honest, revealing straight, white teeth.

Megan Howell

Megan had just been about to tell the guy with the greasy hair just what she thought he really was, when a white knight arrived to defend her, not as if she needed it. She watched the scene with a slight hint of amusement, but could not help note the guy's athletic frame. Watching the greasy haired guy and his pals slink off, she then turned back to her "savior."

"It's okay. Thanks for making them get lost." She said, looking up at him, a broad smile coming to her face. She mentally "forgot" the fact that only a short while ago she had been dating a guy from FCU. Taking Will's offered hand, she replied. "Megan Howell. Nice to meet you Will."

Megan had just been about to tell the guy with the greasy hair just what she thought he really was, when a white knight arrived to defend her, not as if she needed it. She watched the scene with a slight hint of amusement, but could not help note the guy’s athletic frame. Watching the greasy haired guy and his pals slink off, she then turned back to her “savior.â€Â

“It’s okay. Thanks for making them get lost.†She said, looking up at him, a broad smile coming to her face. She mentally “forgot†the fact that only a short while ago she had been dating a guy from FCU. Taking Will’s offered hand, she replied. “Megan Howell. Nice to meet you Will.â€Â

Megan

Will shakes Megan's hand, "So what brings you to the fair? Here to witness the world of tomorrow, or dragged along like half the people here?" He takes his hand back and hangs it in his pocket, casually. He has an easy way of talking, but physically he seems straight and tall.

Liam

Professor Myrtleton laughs at Liam's superhero remark - a laugh that's more of a 'snuffle'. "One day, my son, one day I'll have something that can attain that much power - but at the moment I'm limited to normal humans. Can you imagine though? An army of robots as strong as Captain Thunder? With the powers of Dr. Metropolis? Why, we could elimiate any threat by any villain or natural disaster - every man would live like a king." He sounds sincere. Were these words coming out from someone else, they may seem far more crazy than they already do. "Firstly, however, every man must conquer himself. It's the heroes journey." Myrtleton turns serious for a moment, and focusses on Liam, "Have you conquered yourself, Mr Callaghan?"

Megan

Will shakes Megan's hand, "So what brings you to the fair? Here to witness the world of tomorrow, or dragged along like half the people here?" He takes his hand back and hangs it in his pocket, casually. He has an easy way of talking, but physically he seems straight and tall.

Liam

Professor Myrtleton laughs at Liam's superhero remark - a laugh that's more of a 'snuffle'. "One day, my son, one day I'll have something that can attain that much power - but at the moment I'm limited to normal humans. Can you imagine though? An army of robots as strong as Captain Thunder? With the powers of Dr. Metropolis? Why, we could elimiate any threat by any villain or natural disaster - every man would live like a king." He sounds sincere. Were these words coming out from someone else, they may seem far more crazy than they already do. "Firstly, however, every man must conquer himself. It's the heroes journey." Myrtleton turns serious for a moment, and focusses on Liam, "Have you conquered yourself, Mr Callaghan?"

Megan

Liam

LiamHS.jpg

Have you conquered yourself, Mr Callaghan?"

"I finally figured out how ta play those Sudoku puzzles in the The Daily Word, if that's what ya mean," replies Liam.

He disguises his surprise at Prof. Myrtleton's comment at building robots that mimic superhuman powers. Liam was never convinced that machines will someday replace humans, and that somehow they run the world now instead of their creators. But who repairs and operates these devices? The human spirit cannot be replaced, nor can it be extinguished. Liam, in his other identity, relies on his own strength, confident in its enduring quality. Ya gotta love his drive but there's no way these things'll catch on. I won't say nothin'. Let this guy have the spotlight.

"Seriously, I'm just a guy who practices a little kung fu on the weekends. I ain't no hero. Maybe one day, though."

LiamHS.jpg

"I finally figured out how ta play those Sudoku puzzles in the The Daily Word, if that's what ya mean," replies Liam.

He disguises his surprise at Prof. Myrtleton's comment at building robots that mimic superhuman powers. Liam was never convinced that machines will someday replace humans, and that somehow they run the world now instead of their creators. But who repairs and operates these devices? The human spirit cannot be replaced, nor can it be extinguished. Liam, in his other identity, relies on his own strength, confident in its enduring quality. Ya gotta love his drive but there's no way these things'll catch on. I won't say nothin'. Let this guy have the spotlight.

"Seriously, I'm just a guy who practices a little kung fu on the weekends. I ain't no hero. Maybe one day, though."

LiamHS.jpg

Megan

Wow, he’s kind of dreamy. Megan thought as she looked up at Will. “Dragged here. Though I’m not minding that so much at the moment.â€Â

“How long have you been a student here?â€Â

Megan

Wow, he’s kind of dreamy. Megan thought as she looked up at Will. “Dragged here. Though I’m not minding that so much at the moment.â€Â

Megan

Megan Howell

“Dragged here. Though I’m not minding that so much at the moment.â€Â

Will smiles broadly, and rubs the back of his hair. He actually blushes a little, but does his best to hide the fact in a number of awkward glaces around.

He turns back to Megan, still smiling against his will, "Uh, three years now. Yeah, I got a scholarship playing football but I've managed to squeeze in a few other projects while here. Like my particle wave inducer..." he nods to the stand behind him where an intricate device is set up. There are masses of tables of data displayed behind it and quite a few scientist types seem to be paying it special attention, "It doesn't look like much now, but some day, when I can align the polarities, I should be able to..." he turns back to Megan and stops himself, not because of anything Megan herself has done, but on his own accord. It's possible that kind of talk isn't really tolerated in some other circles he hangs with. He's embarrased again, and glances around. He sees the stage, "Oh, hey - I kinda wanted to check this out. There's a new combat simulator up for demonstration, by this guy Professor Myrtleton. It seems pretty interesting. Would you care to join me?" Will once again offers his hand, the awkwardness is gone, replaced once again with a straight, tall physique.

Liam Callaghan

Professor Myrtleton nods. It's an odd kind of nod - slow and deliberate. Liam notices that he's moved quite close to him, but as he recedes, his physicality becomes more manic, as it had been when Liam first me him, "Well, good luck my boy. Good luck." He looks out to the crowd, almost full now, and gets a start, "Oh my stars and garters, it's almost time." He pulls some notes out of his pocket - they look ragged and indecipherable, but Myrtleton shuffles them around and puts them in some kind of order. He turns back to Liam, "Now, listen, when I give the word, I need the six of you to go and stand in front of a robot each." With that he trails off into mumblings and heads for the podium...

Megan Howell

Will smiles broadly, and rubs the back of his hair. He actually blushes a little, but does his best to hide the fact in a number of awkward glaces around.

He turns back to Megan, still smiling against his will, "Uh, three years now. Yeah, I got a scholarship playing football but I've managed to squeeze in a few other projects while here. Like my particle wave inducer..." he nods to the stand behind him where an intricate device is set up. There are masses of tables of data displayed behind it and quite a few scientist types seem to be paying it special attention, "It doesn't look like much now, but some day, when I can align the polarities, I should be able to..." he turns back to Megan and stops himself, not because of anything Megan herself has done, but on his own accord. It's possible that kind of talk isn't really tolerated in some other circles he hangs with. He's embarrased again, and glances around. He sees the stage, "Oh, hey - I kinda wanted to check this out. There's a new combat simulator up for demonstration, by this guy Professor Myrtleton. It seems pretty interesting. Would you care to join me?" Will once again offers his hand, the awkwardness is gone, replaced once again with a straight, tall physique.

Liam Callaghan

Professor Myrtleton nods. It's an odd kind of nod - slow and deliberate. Liam notices that he's moved quite close to him, but as he recedes, his physicality becomes more manic, as it had been when Liam first me him, "Well, good luck my boy. Good luck." He looks out to the crowd, almost full now, and gets a start, "Oh my stars and garters, it's almost time." He pulls some notes out of his pocket - they look ragged and indecipherable, but Myrtleton shuffles them around and puts them in some kind of order. He turns back to Liam, "Now, listen, when I give the word, I need the six of you to go and stand in front of a robot each." With that he trails off into mumblings and heads for the podium...

Megan Howell

Liam Callaghan

"Uh, three years now. Yeah, I got a scholarship playing football but I've managed to squeeze in a few other projects while here. Like my particle wave inducer..."

“HIT actually has a football team?†Megan asked with a teasing smile.

"It doesn't look like much now, but some day, when I can align the polarities, I should be able to..."

Megan smiled as she listened to him intently. I think I feel my polarity aligning. She thought.

"Oh, hey - I kinda wanted to check this out. There's a new combat simulator up for demonstration, by this guy Professor Myrtleton. It seems pretty interesting. Would you care to join me?" Will once again offers his hand, the awkwardness is gone, replaced once again with a straight, tall physique.

“Sure that sounds interesting, as long as you promise to tell my more about your display afterward.†She replied, as she took his hand.

"Uh, three years now. Yeah, I got a scholarship playing football but I've managed to squeeze in a few other projects while here. Like my particle wave inducer..."

"It doesn't look like much now, but some day, when I can align the polarities, I should be able to..."

Megan smiled as she listened to him intently. I think I feel my polarity aligning. She thought.

"Oh, hey - I kinda wanted to check this out. There's a new combat simulator up for demonstration, by this guy Professor Myrtleton. It seems pretty interesting. Would you care to join me?" Will once again offers his hand, the awkwardness is gone, replaced once again with a straight, tall physique.

“Sure that sounds interesting, as long as you promise to tell my more about your display afterward.†She replied, as she took his hand.

LiamHS.jpg

"Now, listen, when I give the word, I need the six of you to go and stand in front of a robot each."

"You got it, doc," replies Liam. "I think we're ready when you are."

Liam watches the the professor walk away to conduct whatever incomprehensible business the unusual man needed to finish. He bends down to grab his ankle and stretches, then repeats the same exercise on the other ankle. Straightening up, he leans over to another student standing nearby.

"Man, this a pretty crazy gig," he whispers to the student. "Whatta ya think of the mad scientist?"

LiamHS.jpg

"Now, listen, when I give the word, I need the six of you to go and stand in front of a robot each."

Liam watches the the professor walk away to conduct whatever incomprehensible business the unusual man needed to finish. He bends down to grab his ankle and stretches, then repeats the same exercise on the other ankle. Straightening up, he leans over to another student standing nearby.

"Man, this a pretty crazy gig," he whispers to the student. "Whatta ya think of the mad scientist?"

LiamHS.jpg

The student laughs a little - you can tell he's a little nervous. he's a big guy, and stands with his arms crossed, hands doling his biceps. He speaks with a thick, Southside accent, "Gee, I dunno. Seems pretty full on. Still, it's great for the school. Hopefully we can get some more kids onto the mats, you know? Learning thr ropes. As for Myrty? He's a strange one, no foolin'."

Will laughed with Megan's teasing, knowing full well what reputation his team had.

His eye's widened with sincere surpirse at Megan's offer, "Uh, yeah. Sure, of course." His unease disappearing, "I'd love to." With that, he finds a path for Megan and himself through the crowd toward the stage on the right. When they reach the spot, Megan's friend Janet, who is falling asleep with the other students watching the left stage, catches her eye and mouths the words, "Who's that?", indicating Will. She gives Megan an very approving look.

It seems the presentation on the left stage has finished up, as people there are beginning to disperse. On the right stage however, Professor Myrtleton has reached the podium to a good amount of applause. He holds his hands up to silence the onlookers and fumbles through his notes. It's a full minute before he's organised enough to turn to the audience and begin, "Good morning, attendees. My name is Professor Myrtleton. It's uh, it's a pleasure to be here..." His nose rubbing habit continues as he bumbles through a brief review of his extensive career to date. All that finishes, however, when he comes to what he's there to present today. He turns briefly to the robots standing behind him, and then solemnly back to the audience, "What is a person made of?" His voice has lost it's waver and his hands remain fixed on the podium, "What is a person really capable of? What could we do if each one of us recognised our own potential? We live in a world where..." He is cut short, however, by a squealing over the PA system. The noise subsides, and a voice booms over the crowd. A voice that Megan finds familiar, "The problem is, when you're nothing but plebs, you're not really capable of much." The comment is followed by an od sound. It sounds like laughing, but from someone standing away from whatever is projecting the sound. Whoever is laughing is chastised by the person projecting the voice, but they fail (or don't bother) to hide their voice, "Shut up, John!" The laughing ceases, and the voice returns in full to the PS speakers, "Behold! The real future. Look on and see, not only your intellectual superiors, but also your new rulers!" Suddenly, there is a large amount of theatrical smoke appearing from the left stage, obscuring it. The crowd has gone from interested, to nervous, to scared. Now that the smoke has begun, there are a few feaful screams and gasps escaping an increasingly threatened audience.